006: Avenue of Escape

Privacy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

A V E N U E  O F  E S C A P E

 

 

We were able to drive further for an hour and a half and completely left the city behind us.

With the dead silence between us, my brain had plenty of time to focus on the pain I felt everywhere. Enumerating the parts that throb would not be enough. I was pretty sure I had cuts and bruises all over my face too, I could even taste blood on my lips.

I placed a hand on my nape and tilted my head sideways back and forth to make sure I didn’t break something vital. Then my right shoulder seemed already swollen. . The corner of my mouth stung like…

I got distracted when I felt Yeona’s eyes on me. Not speaking but just observing. For a moment there, I could sense her concern.

“Don’t worry,” I muttered as I made an effort to briefly check my mouth in the rearview mirror. “I’m not going to die from these,” I added.

“Thanks.” She replied in a flat tone, obviously annoyed by my remark. “That’s very funny.” She looked away.

I wanted to respond when my phone rang. It was a call from her father’s head of security. We exchanged looks knowing it was an important call.

“Baekhyun.” It was her father’s worried voice with evident urgency in his tone. “Is my daughter alright?”

“Yes sir, she’s with me,” I replied right away.

“Are my parents okay?” Yeona asked with urgency.

“Oh god, Baekhyun.” He let out a huge sigh of relief. “Thank you, I know I can trust you on this and I will continue to trust you to bring her back to us alive.”

“Of course,” I said shortly, glancing at Yeona who was anticipating to hear about her parents’ condition.

“Now, we know there’s no place in Seoul that’s safe for her. Take her anywhere else, somewhere safe. I don’t care as long as they don’t get their hands on her. Don’t contact me, your father, or anyone else. Turn off your phone’s location too, we will find a way to find you both." He instructed breathlessly. "We cannot afford to lose her.” There was absolute firmness in his tone. “Do you understand, Baekhyun?”

“Yes sir.” I nodded, looking at Yeona who seemed to grow more anxious.

“Let me talk to her.” Her father said.

I immediately gave the phone to Yeona and got out of the car to give them privacy.

I roamed my attention around and noticed how secluded this road was. There was no one else aside from us. No sound of anyone chasing us as of the moment. Either side of the road was occupied by towering grasses that swayed with the wind. It was kinda dim in the area too. I concluded we could spare a few minutes here.

Being out in the open, all I could hear was Yeona’s muffled voice from inside the car. With the adrenaline rush completely draining from my senses, the body pain seemed to intensify. I touched my left cheekbone and found a small cut with a trace of blood.

“Ah dammit.” I hissed as I loosened my tie before entirely taking it off, ed the first two buttons then removed my blazer and rolled my sleeves up to my elbows to check my arms.

There were no visible bruises right now but the muscle aches tell me otherwise. I clenched and unclenched my hands a few times and somehow found out they were still good. My arms were sore, and my chest felt like it had been kicked a few times, my back, and my legs all had different levels of pain. I silently hoped that I wouldn’t have to fight anymore tonight in this condition or else, I would put our lives in danger.

I recalled the men I fought against earlier and could not help but think hard as to whose cronies they were. I hate being clueless during situations like this and I became anxious. I would have asked Mr. Kwon but having a lengthy conversation regarding it wasn’t ideal.

I walked back and forth stressing about it when the urge to smoke rushed through my system. Of course, I didn’t have any with me. I opened the door to check if there was a cigarette pack somewhere in the car hoping one of the men was a smoker.

However, the first thing I noticed was Yeona quietly seated. She even seemed to have spaced out. I decided to give her time and focused on the cigarette I badly needed right now. Thankfully, I saw a pack with four remaining sticks and a lighter. Not giving her a single glance, I closed the door instantly.

Leaning against the car once more, I lit a cigarette. I started to smoke my anxiousness and the building anger away. My thoughts traveled to the way Yeona looked in the car just now. It was as if she was trying to hold in another breakdown and was lost in some trance. Nobody deserves this kind of life. She doesn't. 

A few minutes later, I was finally able to quiet my thoughts. Exhaling the smoke like freeing myself from any distractions, I started to feel better and more controlled.

Then I heard Yeona come out of the car and waited for her to get next to me before I looked at her.  

She stood beside me leaning against the car. She stared at me but I couldn’t read her mind, I was never good with that in the first place. She darted her attention somewhere else and began to survey the surroundings. That was when I had the liberty to look at her from head to toe. Her gown was ripped on one side, leaving a forced slit up her thigh. Her long, exposed leg caught my attention. I just had to run my focus down to her bare feet.

“Sorry about your shoes,” I said breaking the silence, not even recalling where I lost them.

“It’s fine.” She responded right away without looking at me. “At least I’m still breathing, right?” She added in a plain tone when she finally turned to me.

I took a deep breath as it was my turn to look away, exhaling the smoke from my mouth. Then, I reached for my blazer from the hood of the car and handed it to her which she took and wore right away.

“I’ve always wondered if you smoked.” She said the next time I felt her eyes on me. 

“Well, here’s your answer,” I answered plainly as I puffed smoke. “Of all the things that you could have wondered about me, you chose smoking?” I raised an eyebrow at her which earned an eyeroll from her. “And you think about me, huh?”

“How come this is the first time I ever saw you do it?” She went on, ignoring my last remark.

“I only smoke when I feel the need to,” I replied. “I quit a long time ago, but now and then…when it’s necessary…” I trailed off when I caught sight of her gown.

“Give me one.” She said.

My eyebrows furrowed. I knew she was not one to smoke. She held her hand out to me, asking for it.

“Are you out of your mind?” I smirked, tapping the tiny bit of ash from the cigarette. “Your profile said you don’t smoke, let’s leave it that way.” I refused.

“Damn it.” She hissed, growing mad all of a sudden as she stepped closer to me. “With the amount of people wanting to kill me, I might die one of these days anyway.” She added and without a warning took the cigarette from my hand and smoked like some expert, even making sure I’d inhale the smoke she puffed off.

I shut my eyes closed before I smirked in annoyance. Whether it was because she blew smoke on my face or the way she lightly talked about dying one of these days, I couldn’t be so sure. She won’t let me forget how hard it is to deal with her.

“I guess the Kwon Yeona profile that was given to you missed a few points.” She went on, giving me a challenging look. “Why do you look so mad now, huh?” She asked, probably reading my expression.

“You sound pretty convinced that you’re going to die one of these days?” I respond meaning to be sarcastic, finally able to figure out what pissed me off.

 I maneuvered to face her, met her eyes, and held eye contact before I retrieved the cigarette from her.

“You know,” I brought the cigarette to my mouth to smoke and puffed it away from her face. “It’s not very encouraging to protect someone with my ing life who’s okay with dying,” I said flatly. “You might as well tell me now if you’re going to just submit to…”

“I’m…” She intercepted and trailed off in a low voice, still meeting my gaze. “I’m just joking.” She cleared , acting all uncomfortable instantly. “Why are you getting so worked up like this? Can’t I crack some jokes now?”

“Well, your joke isn’t funny.” I moved closer and pinned her on the car. “I’d rather you stick to being y and annoying than throw jokes like this.” I scolded her. “I don’t wanna hear it ever again,” I added in a firm, authoritative tone.

She didn’t nod, didn’t have a look of regret in her eyes. She stared at me the way I was looking at her. For someone who had experienced what just happened, she’s pretty fearless.

 

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

1:43 AM

We drove for hours and hours more. If I was being honest, my arms were about to go stiff due to the muscle pains. Yeona was wide awake the whole time and I could not blame her. Who would want to go to sleep given what happened earlier?

“Do you want me to drive?” I heard her ask and I could only stare at her question.

“I’ve never seen you drive,” I said in a matter-of-fact tone.

“Well, you’re about to.” She answered.

“I’m not certain I could trust your driving skills.” I hesitated and she probably read my reaction.

“You’re wincing from time to time.” She spoke once more. “You made a great deal of effort to get me out of the event earlier, you can’t risk our lives driving in that condition, can you?”

She must have been observing me and I was left with no choice. She’s right, we’d be in danger if I continued to drive when my hands were about to go numb in pain.

“This car is our only means of transportation.” I reminded her as I stopped the car. “You better not harm it any way.”

She rolled her eyes at me as if she was so done with my nagging. She left her seat and walked to my spot. She opened the door and gaped at me who remained seated.

“Just get off already, Baekhyun.”

Well, it turned out, she was a great driver. However, I refused to compliment her. We’re not that close, not even friends of some sort. It would be like overstepping boundaries. She eventually asked where we were going, I told her to drive because honestly, I had no idea where to take her that was safe.

Now that I didn’t have driving to concentrate on, my body seemed to have fully activated my pain receptors and told my brain to acknowledge them distinctly.

“Ah .” I hissed as my back hurt.

I kept cursing silently for the next few minutes and I could mostly sense her watching me.

“We should probably drop by a pharmacy.” She suggested. “And something to eat too, I’m hungry.” She added as soon as I turned to meet her gaze.

She looked away before I could even reply.

 

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Later, the road signages said we reached Yeosu. We must have been driving for over four hours now. We seemed to have reached the town center as there was a gas station and a small 24-hour convenience store.

I took my wallet out and checked the cash I had. We, as much as possible, cannot use cards for us not to be traced. Thankfully, I seemed to have plenty for now.

“I lost my purse,” Yeona stated.

“That’s fine,” I replied quickly as I noticed she was wearing her matching earrings, necklace, and bracelet. “I just hope your jewelry does not have sentimental value.”

She looked at me, confused.

“We can sell or pawn them if we want to survive,” I said emphasizing the last phrase.

She appeared to have gotten my point.

“You can do whatever you want with these. I don’t care.”

“Good,” I muttered before I told her to drive to the gasoline station.

After we took care of the car’s fuel, I planned to go to the store to get us food to eat.

“Just stay here, I’ll go get the things we need.”

“I can come.” She announced, attempting to get out of the car. “I need some stuff.”

“You’re barefoot.” I reminded her.

“Well, you look like you fought with a group of gangsters.” She retorted. “They’re going to wonder what happened to your face.”

I inhaled and exhaled loudly, my head aching from her reasoning.

“Please,” I said firmly in exasperation. “Just stay here, Kwon Yeona.”

She glared at me which I ignored. I walked toward the convenience store to pay for the fuel. When I got to the store, I bought food first. I picked sandwiches, two cups of ramen, and water bottles. I walked to the other aisle where I saw hats being displayed. I bought two black caps and immediately wore one to conceal the bruises on my face. Luckily, they also had some slippers, I bought a pair for Yeona.

I went to pay and thankfully the female staff seemed sleepy and didn’t look up or say anything about my face or my bruised hands.

Before going out, I went to the water dispenser to pour hot water on the ramen cups. And as soon as I returned, I handed one of the Ramen to her. Fortunately, she didn’t question my choice of food. I also gave her the slippers which turned out a bit bigger for her feet.

After we ate, I resumed driving until we reached a port. There were some private fishing boats. Instructing Yeona to stay in the car, I went to one of the boats and asked the man where they were headed. He said that they could go up to Jejudo. As if it were an answer to the reiterated question in my head, I turned to the car where Yeona was. All I could think was to put as much distance between her and the ones who would like to cause her harm.

After I transacted with the boat owner at a hefty price just so he could take us to Jeju as soon as it was possible, I headed back to the car.

“What did you talk about?” Yeona asked, curious.

“We’re heading to Jeju at daybreak.”

“What?” She looked panicked. “Are you sure about this?”

“It’s the best option we have now,” I replied.

“But my parents…” She went on. “How will they know we’re in Jeju? How can we be so sure we’re safe where we’re going?”

I let out a frustrated sigh not knowing how to answer her questions.

“I know you have a lot in mind right now and I’m sorry but I don’t have the answers to all your questions, Yeona,” I answered. “Let’s just figure things out as we go, okay? Let’s just survive one day at a time.”

She stared at me, bit her lip, and looked away.

“Where did all my luck go for me to live this kind of life.” She murmured as she turned her attention to the sea.

Feeling bad for her, I exhaled and leaned my head on the chair. I shut my eyes and tried to condition my brain not to mind Yeona and the growing body pains I had to endure.

 

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

4:09 AM

The wind was inevitably harsh as we rode the boat to Jeju. Since Yeona was wearing my blazer, all I could do was cross my arms over my chest. Fortunately, the owner of the boat had extra blankets for us both. However, it was still chilly. I glanced at Yeona from time to time and she seemed to be equally having the same predicament.

About thirty minutes later, I could not help but notice her shuddering had become more often because the wind had turned chillier. She was also wearing slippers, not to mention the torn on her gown near her legs made the fabric slip and from time to time exposed her legs to the cold.

I decided to give up my blanket because what was the use of all the fight we went through earlier if she would not survive the cold? My eyes were on he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter