005: Cut to the Chase

Privacy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

C U T  T O  T H E  C H A S E

 

 

The first three months were over.

This also meant that I had been around Kwon Yeona for approximately ninety days minus my day offs, which most of the time, I don’t get to enjoy.

After the incident in Hong Kong, Mr. Kwon had been stricter with Yeona’s schedules and security. We have been on high alert since.

He, my father, and I had discussed what happened and I also had given them the details of the incident. I also had to mention the eagle tattoo, the man I confronted told me about. We even had a few closed-door meetings about this matter without Yeona’s knowledge. Mr. Kwon had a hunch about who this eagle-man might be related to but he still couldn’t be sure. In the end, my father assured me that he would launch a discreet investigation to verify. One thing I did notice while an exchange of conversation was taking place between my father and Yeona’s, they trust each other.

Yeona’s schedule was wiped out for the next two weeks originally since her parents were worried sick about her. At the end of the second week, however, I heard her complain to them about going insane if she didn’t have anything to do. Her complaining must have exhausted the elder Kwons that she was allowed to go to the office the very next week.

On a Sunday night, roughly two weeks later, I was discreetly called to her parent’s house, specifically Mr. Kwon’s study room. Not totally clueless, I thought they would like me to assure them that I would guard her with my life. I was right though. As these were the exact words, I heard from Mr. Kwon after they had informed me about the elite event the Kwons were to host five days from now. 

“We know that this is too much to ask Baekhyun,” Mr. Kwon spoke and there was a mixture of authority and pleading in his tone. “These past few months, you have proven yourself worthy of the position you hold.” He added as he walked toward me and stopped a foot in front of me. “It was right to ask your father to give me his best man on the job…I knew about how you were reluctant to take this job because you were already stationed in Germany. So, when I say thank you for agreeing to Yeona’s bodyguard,” He placed a hand on my right shoulder and gave it a slight squeeze. “I mean it.” He went on as he removed his hand and momentarily looked away.

I opened my mouth to speak but didn’t when he spoke once more.

“And in all honesty, at this point, there is not a single soul in this world that I could trust my daughter’s safety besides you.”

I understood that. To the point, I could almost sense his desperation.

“Please guard her with your life.” He added as he breathed out, possibly to the weight of his words. “As you do that, please do me a favor by making sure you guard yours too.”

I looked him straight in the eye before I nodded as I recalled Yeona’s words at the rooftop in Hong Kong.

“I can’t take my good friend’s son away from him just by making sure my daughter is safe. Is that clear, son?”

I had always known that he and my father go way back but I had not foreseen this kind of conversation with him this early.

 “Yes, Sir,” I replied.

“I could give you anything you want, just name it.” There went that unconcealed desperation in his tone again. “I just need my daughter to keep breathing.”

I was in awe. I had worked with a lot of the wealthiest families in the world but I could rarely see parents genuinely care about their children like the way they do for Yeona.

The air was dry inside the room which caused me to inhale to fill my lungs with air.

“You don’t have to give me anything else Mr. Kwon, this is what I am paid for, I must do my job.”

“Speaking of that, you know…” It was Mrs. Kwon who spoke and walked toward my spot this time. “Sometimes, aside from being her bodyguard, I wish that my daughter could find a friend in you too…” She paused with a wistful look on her face. “But after what happened to her previous bodyguard, I doubt she’ll open up to anyone at all…” A sad smile crossed her lips.

I didn’t know how to respond to that so I kept quiet. Then as if she made sense of the whole friend-thing situation, she spoke to me once more.

“But then again, I know my family is already asking a lot from you, so I’ll stop right here.” The corners of rose into a subtle smile. “Just know that as Yeona’s mother, I am beyond grateful for the littlest thing you do for her,” She held my hand in between hers and stared at me. “For us.”

The certain softness in her mother’s eyes whenever she talked about her to me was becoming unforgettable.

“Being friends with her sounds a good idea, especially if it meant not having to dodge dagger looks from her from time to time…it’s wearing me out sometimes…” I trailed off as we both let out a small laugh.

I even saw a hint of amusement on Mr. Kwon’s face when I glanced at him.

“But she is your daughter, you know she won’t even let me in even if I try, if I did, she’d be the one to kill me first.”

Knowing myself, if parents of my clients ask of me more than what my job description says. But here I was, making us laugh about it. I would have been annoyed, honestly. However, as I looked at these two parents, sincerely asking me to protect their daughter, I could not help but put aside annoyance. 

“Well,” Mrs. Kwon caught my attention once more. “I don’t hear her complaining about you for the last few weeks. That must mean she won’t kill you soon.”

I tilted my head to the side as I let out another laugh.

I finished my coffee before I left the office.

However, as soon as I walked out of the room, I thought about something. Recalling the conversation, we had earlier and just how I reacted, it could mean that I was slowly letting them in when I should not have any attachments to the families I work with. I shook my head as if this physical gesture could undo anything.

 

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

I was granted days off before the nearing event. Ironically though, now that I have my days off to myself because miraculously, I had not received either calls or texts from Yeona, I was not in the mood to go somewhere. Last night, however, when I tried to go to my go-to bar, I only ended up drinking a few glasses of my favorite vodka and went home a couple of hours later. For some reason, nothing interesting was up.

And right now, while I sit quietly in the living room, even with the TV on, my eyes remain glued to my phone on the table in front of me. I rack my brains out as to why she’s too quiet.

“.” I hissed, holding my head in between my hands. “I must have gone crazy, why am I thinking about her right now.” The mention of her immediately caused panic in my thoughts. “I meant work. Why the am I thinking about work right now.” I justified it as if I just said that with an audience.

This was probably because I had never had a decent day off ever since I started working with the Kwon Heiress. Right, I thought that was an accurate rationalization my brain came up with.

 

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

I resumed working the next day and it turned out a plain day for Yeona. She went to work and stayed there until it was eight in the evening. Just when I thought I was driving her home, she asked me to take her to an elite and private bar. While some of my men stayed outside the establishment, I followed Yeona inside and stood somewhere I could see her.

She drank and spent the whole hour alone. I could not help but overlook the weight of loneliness on her. She had not seen anyone since the Hong Kong incident. At this point, she didn’t have anyone she could trust.

The moment she ordered her fifth glass, I noticed that her head started to tilt down more often. The alcohol must have kicked in. I was probably right because it surprised the hell out of me when my phone rang and it was a call from her who looked at me for the first time today.

The lights were cozy and slightly dim inside the bar and I could not see her face. I was certain she was staring at me as the line remained silent after I answered.

“If you’re going to ask me to leave,” I was the first to speak. “We both know that’s not gonna happen.”

“Come over.” Her reply was short.

I did as I was told and stood next to her. Now that I was closer to her, I could perfectly see the effects of alcohol. Even if her attention was on the glass in her hand, I had a clear view of how her face was slightly red, her eyes had become somehow droopy like she was sleepy.

“Do you need anything from me?” I asked, calmly not wanting to trigger any negative emotions from her.

“I need you to sit in front of me.” She answered in an equally calm tone. “Can you do that for me?” This time she looked up and met my gaze.

“I shouldn’t drink at work.” I reminded her.

“You don’t have to.”

Without saying anything, I occupied the seat in front of her. For some reason, I expected her to speak. Open up because that was what a normal person would do. But no, she didn’t let out a word. I just watched different facial expressions painting her face. There was frustration, exhaustion, anger, and loneliness. At some point, she seemed about to cry but didn’t. Took a few deep breaths and drowned most of her emotions by having a few more gulps of liquor.

I didn’t say anything as well. I was not the one to pry. Especially when it comes to a client.

She wasn’t entirely drunk when she decided it was time for us to leave. A little bit tipsy but not drunk I could tell. She fixed her hair by tucking it behind her ears before she stood. She was a little bit unsteady for a second, I had the urge to hold her but she regained balance. The next thing, I watched her walk out of the place.

The drive home was quiet and it just dawned on me how right after what happened in Hong Kong, we had fewer disagreements. That was mainly because we have fewer interactions now. She tends to be more quiet than annoying recently. It was as if she never wanted to speak to me unless I did something that ultimately pisses her off.

She had become more aloof. It was not as if we were close at any point but I could not help but notice that after the incident in Hong Kong, it was as if she had built this obvious tower of a wall between us. It was as if she stayed mad at me, sometimes it was underneath the surface, and at times like right now, it was some blatant grammar mistake one could not ignore. It was as if there was an existing truce between us.

I knew for certain that the indifference was because of the trauma the murder of her previous bodyguard brought her. That has to be it.

 

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

The night of the event came and took place at a famous elite hotel. I had to be on standby and pick up Yeona from her place with a designated driver tonight. Along with our car, there were two others behind us to make sure there was enough security guarding the Kwon Heiress.

“Hi.” I greeted her. “Yeona,” I said her name, darting my look in the rearview mirror to check her reaction.

She smirked. A sarcastic kind. The one I knew better.

“Aren’t you being too friendly calling me by my first name?” She fired back, her attention outside the window.

“Well, if you prefer me to call you Princess, then I’d be fine with that,” I replied.

“Aren’t you too cocky for a bodyguard?”

And just like that, we were back to zero. Back to day one when we could not stand each other’s presence.

Even if I was trying to justify her behavior about not wanting to form any bond with another bodyguard after what happened to her previous one, I could not help but feel annoyed at how she was treating me.

 

ˏˋ°•*⁀➷

Arriving at the venue, I walked towards the door of the back seat to hold it for her. In just a matter of seconds, I could smell her amazing, alluring scent as she stepped out of the car. She was wearing a black, sleek, long gown that hugged all her curves perfectly. Though the neckline of her dress wasn’t so revealing, it still showcased her smooth neck, shoulders, and arms. Her long, raven hair was tied in a low ponytail that accented her beautiful face well.

That’s the thing about Kwon Yeona, no man could deny the beauty she possesses. That should be the case because there was no way I could rationalize the part of my brain that sees her as desirable at this moment. I was sure I was in no way attached to her emotionally, that’s just straight bull. She’s just ing stunning. That’s all.  

She made a few steps away, heading to the entrance, and then halted to turn to me who had started to trail her.

“I don’t want you following me like some kidnapper is surprisingly going to show up and take me away during the event.”

I scoffed at her ridiculous instruction and shot her an are-you-ing-crazy-look. And she was smart and was quick to catch up.

“I’m tired of arguing with you Byun Baekhyun, can’t you just do what you’re told for once?”

“I haven’t even said a word,” I muttered in disbelief. “Well, as far as I can remember, I am paid to do the exact opposite of what you just said.”

“For Pete’s sake.” She hissed. “You talk a lot.”

She was mad. Not yelling. Her eyes did not throw dagger looks but she was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter