Johnny-centric

Barely Noticed

A/n: Johnny’s side of the story

I wrote this with WayV’s Horizon as BGM. The song is very beautiful both in execution and meaning.

---

 

Johnny used to play the piano, had enjoyed the sound emitted by pressing the keys in combination. Music soothed him in ways that nobody can, and perhaps had given him one of the best memories of his childhood. But music wasn’t supported by people around him and he was forced to take something that can make him financially stable in the long run. It wasn’t his parent, his mom and dad had loved him playing the piano but every time he hears a friend or relative tell his mom how wasteful music was to  a bright young boy, it stabbed Johnny’s heart and made it difficult to look at the piano without feeling like he was a failure.

 

He took up Marketing thousands of miles away form Chicago to prove himself to people that he wasn’t a no nonsense guy. He tried to be a model student, and being a transplant, he tried to be as positive as he could so people can like him. He had acquired friends like Taeil and Taeyong and even their ace soccer player Yuta who is a  foreigner like him. He had worked his off to be a good student, to repay his parents and make them proud of what he will become and to provide for them when they retire. Johnny made more friends in the likes of Ten, another foreigner and Doyoung, Taeyong’s childhood friend.

 

By his junior year, he met Jaehyun and the two of them decided to have an apartment near campus since both of them were financed by their parents who were staying overseas and it would mean they could call them more often compared to a dorm that has crappy internet connection. And on his Junior year, he also met the enigma that is Qian Kun.

 

He’s not particular about race, given that his circle had consisted of a lot of foreigners like himself, but the fact that Kun majors in piano had given Johnny a bitter taste in his mouth. When Ten introduced Kun, Johnny eyed the boy who tried to greet back with his little Korean vocabulary and Johnny had to snort because of the lack of preparation Kun had before he transferred.

 

Johnny just didn’t like Kun more so when Kun started getting the attention of most of his friends and rave about how Kun is such a caring person, something that Johnny find pretentious. He couldn’t really feel the genuineness from the Chinese and he confessed to Ten when the younger confronted him about his treatment to Kun.

 

“I don’t get him, he acts as if he’s close with everyone and acts as if he’s a mother hen.” Johnny told Ten.

 

“He’s just a kind person and would like to extend that kindness to others.” Ten defended Kun and Johnny just shook his head.

 

“Still, it irks me. He feels fake.” Johnny added and Ten sighed.

 

“You know, maybe you are projecting. Kun is a good person. He tries not to be a bother and he cares for everyone. If you just take the time to get to know him, maybe you would change your views about him.” Ten had urged him but Johnny did not think so, it’s not really calling to him, to get to know Kun for that matter.

 

Johnny looked at Kun with dead eyes or a glare and tried to ignore him at best. Whenever they gather, he would make sure to sit far away and divert his attention to anyone but Kun. It worked and he saw Kun slowly pulling away and it made Johnny sigh in relief, he did not need to interact with him and force himself to be civil.

 

--

 

Johnny had his reasons why he did not want to attend the placement, it reminded him of what he loved but had to give up because it was a disappointment to others. When Kun played the piece so beautifully, it made Johnny jealous, of what he could have been, how happy and alive he felt with music. He hated that Kun could have a life that he wanted, a life filled with music. He sat there and glared at the pianist who was able to convey a story through the keys he pressed and the notes it produced. And it dawned on him, he did not hate Kun as a person, he hated Kun because he was his dreams personified, Kun’s existence was mocking his mediocre life choices.

 

Maybe Kun was a god person, but Johnny was blinded by what he felt, and thus he had viewed Kun with such hate he did not deserve.

 

 

When Kun received the gold for his placement, Johnny closed his eyes as his heart ached, of how Kun stole something that was meant for him, and the hate he felt was intensified.

 

 

Did Kun deserve it? Johnny would say yes, but a small part of him knew that Kun did not do anything wrong. But without anyone knowing what he had gone through, what sacrifices he had made and what passion he had to give up to satisfy expectations, Johnny could only project his struggles and pain to Kun’s existence.

 

 

--

 

When the last of their friend group had graduated, they all decided to have a reunion at one of Jaehyun’s family rest houses by the beach. It was a beautiful place despite the long  drive. Johnny had stepped out of his car and he was greeted by familiar faces that he had missed. Johnny had been steadily raking in money from his marketing job for an entertainment company, and it shows with the things that surrounded him, from his car to jewelry and clothes. He gave his friends warm hugs and greetings and they went to their respective cottages to change into more comfortable and beach appropriate attires. Johnny was staying in one cottage since his friends seemed to get together over the years and he was the only one left single in the friend group. He was changing into his muscle shirt when he heard the a knock and the door opened to reveal the person he least wanted to share a room.

 

Qian Kun

 

Kun seemed to froze when he saw Johnny and he bowed to apologize to him before closing the door once more. Johnny raised a brow but shook off the feeling as he applied sunscreen before leaving the room. He saw Kun talking to Ten but did not linger as he walked towards the beach to join his friends. He did dare to look back once more and saw Kun and Ten enter the cottage, he sighed and decided to deal with it later.

 

Everyone shared stories to catch up during dinner, updating everyone about their lives and how they had managed to survive so far. Johnny enjoyed sharing his fair share of success and failures, raising his beer a couple of times for a toast.

 

“How about you Kunnie?” Taeyong asked, still using the sweet voice and calling Kun’s name with endearment.

 

“I have been busy, performing as pianist for orchestras. I’ve also started taking composing seriously and will try to submit some projects soon.” He shared and encouragement spilled from his friends making Kun smile and thanking them.

 

The problem lies when they returned to their cottage and Johnny noticed that Kun stayed on the porch instead of coming in but he shrugged and let him be, he did not want to deal with him anyway. He took a bath and changed into comfortable sleepwear, and decided to clock out so he can avoid interacting with Kun. When he was about to doze off, he heard the door open and he opened an eye to see Kun enter and moved silently inside the cottage. He scoffed once before he decided to ignore the man and just sleep.

 

Johnny woke up to an empty room and he did not really care. He washed his face and brushed his teeth before joining the others in the mess hall for breakfast. Unlike dinner, there were only a few of them up at an early hour. He decided to brew himself a cup of coffee before he settled at one of the chairs and looked out into the horizon. He noticed a lone person sitting by the beach and realized that it was Kun.

 

“You didn’t talk to him?” Johnny looked at the person who sat across him and raise a brow.

 

“What is there to talk about?” Johnny answered and it made Ten sigh.

 

“It’s not on purpose, you’re the only two single people here. Sicheng and I were willing to change rooms you know but Kun did not want to inconvenience anyone.” Ten explained.

 

“He surely inconvenienced me.” Johnny replied and Ten frowned.

 

“I just don’t get how you hate Kun when he had done nothing wrong.” Ten was genuinely confused with Johnny’s behavior and the older just scoffed.

 

“You won’t understand even if I explained it to you.” Johnny replied and that ended the talk so Ten decided to just eat his breakfast.

 

Over the weekend of their stay, Johnny would be the first to enter and Kun would stay outside a little longer and enter the cottage once he knew Johnny has tucked himself to sleep. Johnny did not say anything about it, and he just ignored Kun’s presence all the time, it was what was best.

 

 

It was their last day at the beach since they have work the next day. Johnny decided to take a stroll as he watched the sunset when he chanced upon Kun and Ten sitting on blankets and looking at the sunset. He did not mean to eavesdrop especially when the two were talking in hushed Mandarin but he felt himself rooted on the sandy beach.

 

 

“Did you talk to him?” Ten had asked and Kun shook his head.

 

“I don’t think he’ll like that.” Kun answered, hugging his knees tightly.

 

“I just don’t get him, you did nothing wrong to him.” Ten sighed.

 

“Perhaps he has his reasons. But I want to know what I did wrong. If I had offended him or had done something to merit such hate, I would like to apologize.” Kun said and Ten looked at him with sad eyes.

 

“The song you wrote, the one you lent me to perform for one of my videos, was it about him?” Ten asked and Kun nodded.

 

“Yeah, it is.” Kun answered with a sad smile.

 

 

Johnny studied Mandarin for work since expansion to the capture the Chinese market was important and should he want to rise up the ladder, he needed to have an edge over the competition. Johnny was confused, what song did Ten perform that was about him? He racked his brain for any memory of Ten’s recent works.

 

 

“The sea and sky will never meet, will never touch, but if we look into the horizon, there is a chance, an illusion, a false hope.” Kun said and Johnny thought of song lyrics that could have a little correlation to sea and sky.

 

Horizon

 

Johnny remembered Ten choreographing the song with Sicheng and performing it for an event. It earned praises for the way it was interpreted, a love story that will never have a happy ending but it held hope despite the impossibility.

 

“Will you ever tell him that you made it for him?” Ten asked and Kun shook his head.

 

“It’s best that he doesn’t know.” Kun hold back the tears.

 

“Will you stay here?” Ten asked and Kun nodded.

 

“I’ll stay for a couple more days, then I’ll go back to China.” Kun said and beamed Ten a sad smile. “I’ll miss you Ten.” Kun said and Ten started tearing up. “You never gave up on me and had always believed in me.” Kun said and Ten cried.

 

“You deserve it Kun. You are an amazing person and you are good at what you do.” Ten replied.

 

“Thank you. It means a lot to me.” Kun then started crying as well.

 

“I just wish he’d given you a chance.” Ten said and rested his head on Kun’s shoulder. “Tell me Kun, did you love him?” Ten asked and Johnny swallowed, was he ready for Kun’s answer?

 

 

“Never stopped.” Kun replied. “Even if he did not return the feelings, even if I tried to forget about him, he is the sky that I will never be able to reach, but I can dream can I?” Kun asked and Ten nodded.

 

Johnny walked away and returned to his cottage to think about what he just heard. Kun had loved him? No he loves him. After all the pain he had caused Kun, he still loves him. He laughed bitterly, Kun was trying to guilt trip him but he was not going to fall for it. He decided to forget about it.

 

Johnny slept earlier that night with an excuse of a long drive and no one stopped him. He drifted off to sleep and when his alarm went off at dawn, he woke up to an empty bed with no Kun in sight. He shrugged his shoulders and went to clean himself before he took his luggage and went out of the cottage. He was surprised to see Kun sitting by the porch and looking out into the horizon.

 

“The sunrise is quite beautiful.” Kun said as he saw Johnny exit the cottage.

 

“I did not ask.” Johnny replied dryly.

 

“I just wanted to apologize, if I had done something or said something that may have offended or hurt you.” Kun stood and bowed at Johnny but the older just ignored him and walked towards the parking lot. “Have a safe trip.” Kun muttered softly as he held back the tears. Kun then walked inside the cottage as Johnny entered his car to drive away.

 

 

Was Johnny being unfair? Perhaps. But he could not care less, he did not like Kun and it will remain that way. As he drove away, the radio decided to play the song that he least expected. Apparently the song Horizon was given to an upcoming idol group and it was getting attention as people appreciated the good vocals of the idols and the heart-wrenching composition was relatable. Johnny listened as the song was being played and he noticed how the piano in the song was uniquely Kun. It was mellow and simple but it has depth that he had not seen nor heard from others. It made him remember Kun’s words.

 

The sea and sky will never meet, will never touch, but if we look into the horizon, there is a chance, an illusion, a false hope

 

Johnny shook his head and focused on the road. It was not that deep.

 

Not until Kun and Johnny met once more since Johnny knew Mandarin, he was asked by the company to meet with Kun on joint venture of Neo Ent. and Vision Ent., Kun’s management.

 

“Why did you accept the venture?” Johnny asked when they were alone and Kun smiled at him, Johnny noted the sadness in the smile.

 

“It’s for the kids.” Kun said and Johnny nodded, Kun had composed songs not for him to perform but for the mixed nationality idols that Neo Ent and Vision Ent is debuting.

 

“Have you visited the beach? We have a good one here.” Kun suggested but Johnny shook his head. “If you have time, do visit it.” Kun suggested then prepared to take his leave.

 

Johnny sighed, it’s too awkward and he will not be able to work like this.

 

“You wanted to know what you did wrong?” Johnny spoke and Kun stopped and looked at him with wide eyes. “Your existence.” Johnny answered and Kun sighed and then smiled once more.

 

“I understand.” He replied and Johnny can tell that the younger was holding back tears.

 

“You don’t” Johnny replied and Kun sighed once more. “You’re everything that I wanted to be. Your existence mocked me and my decisions to pursue anything besides music.” Johnny finally said what was bothering him.

 

“If that is the case then I apologize. It must have been hard to see me.” Kun bowed his head and Johnny teared up.

 

“Why are you not hating me?” Johnny asked and Kun just smiled at him.

 

“It can’t be helped if I had to be the reminder of painful memories. I can’t hold it against you.” Kun replied. “It also helps that I love you.” Kun added and that opened a dam.

 

Johnny fell onto his knees and then cried hard, releasing the pain that had held him back and made him hurt an innocent person. Kun did nothing wrong yet he pushed him away and hated him just because of his failed dream. Johnny may have looked stupid curling into himself and crying his heart out but Kun took nothing of it and held his hand before singing softly.

 

It was a mandarin song but Johnny had understood it, he understood Kun’s heart.

 

 I promise you that you are not alone

 

Soften your voice a little

Step a little closer

Until we are Face to Face

 

Listen a little more carefully

Hug a little more sincerely

Together, we’ll realize your dreams

 

Johnny felt the warmth and promise that Kun gave him, he felt sincerity and love. Johnny was stupid to hate Kun for his dreams but Kun was steadfast and true, Kun had loved him despite the anger that was strewn at him.

 

“I’m sorry.” Johnny muttered, endless as it seemed but Kun did not want him to apologize, he did not want him to cry; Kun had wanted to be accepted, whatever Johnny wanted him to be.

 

 

It got better after, with Johnny realizing how wrong he was and now saw Kun in another light. It wasn’t an overnight change, nor was it a big leap but little by little Johnny discovered facets of Kun, things he should have noticed all along.

 

Kun has a big heart and a warm smile. He love purely and genuinely, and that love was reserved for Johnny. He was guilty, and he wanted to redeem himself, and in the process, he learned that it was never really hate that he felt for Kun, rather, it was admiration but he was just blinded by remorse over his dream.

 

That admiration steadily grew into more than what Johnny was prepared to feel but he knew it was going down that path. And so as they looked at the horizon together, where the sky and the sea met, Johnny held Kun’s hand and brought it to his lips.

 

“You said that despite the impossibility of the sea and sky meeting, at one point in the horizon, they touch.” Johnny had said and Kun smiled at him and nodded. “Let’s meet on the horizon.” Johnny said and Kun understood.

 

“Thank you.” He replied and Johnny took the opportunity to cup Kun’s face and pull him into a chaste kiss. “Thank you.” Kun muttered as they parted and Johnny can finally see the smile on Kun’s face that was without sadness.

 

“No, thank you.” Johnny said and Kun’s eyes were shining brightly and his smile had been the prettiest. Johnny would remember this and etch this in his mind, the day he finally saw Kun for who he was and all the love that he could give. He saw the horizon in Kun’s eyes, the promise of being together and achieving dreams together.

 

Johnny knew that at that point in time, he was face to face with the man he’ll share his days for the rest of his life.

---

 

A/n: well another song that inspired me was Wayv’s Face to Face. The meaning of the song spoke so much to me and worked well in making Johnny realize how Kun had wanted to see him as a friend at the very least.

 

I hope I had redeemed Johnny’s character and hopefully you don’t hate him as much as you did in part 1.

 

Stay safe everyone!