Kun-centric

Barely Noticed

Kun was transplanted to South Korea as an exchange student on his second year for the China-Korea  Exchange program. As the top Pianist in his class, he was selected for the program, making him finish his last 2 years at the prestigious Neo Culture University as a music major with specialization in Piano and pop music composition.

 

When he arrived at the university registrar, he was wide eye since his Korean and English were limited but thankfully one of the student assistants was fluent in both Korean and Chinese to assist him in his curriculum and dorm. He found out that the student assistant’s name was Ten, a monicker since his legal name is reserved for his legal documents. He did say his Chinese name is Yongqin but prefers to be called Ten. Kun found out that Ten is a double degree student majoring in performing arts and linguistic, a feat that had Kun jaw’s gaping.

 

Kun had settled into his dorm and was glad that the room assigned to him was a single room and soundproofed so he can practice his piano whenever he wants. He learned that the dorm building was especially allocated to music majors so they can practice their chosen crafts without bothering others. Ten also lived in the dorm apartment a few doors down sharing with another dance major named Taeyong. They invited Kun over for dinner and Kun felt really welcome with the food Taeyong cooked in their common kitchen area below.

 

Kun assimilated into the university life as best as he could, gaining friends along the way like his vocal major friend and classmates Taeil and Doyoung, to the dance major and fellow Chinese named Sicheng and even the school soccer ace, a Japanese named Yuta. He met friends of friends and Ten had introduced a lot more people into the mix like the tall American named Johnny. Kun wasn’t really sure if he was into a particular type because surely, he wasn’t into anyone yet but it seems that Johnny was truly an eye candy for Kun.

 

You can call it crush, Kun allowed himself to classify Johnny as a crush but as much as Kun wanted to at least talk to Johnny civilly and just be friends, Kun felt that he was being ignored intentionally. Gut feeling are like 90% accurate so when Kun chanced upon Johnny and Ten talking in one of the rooms, he put on a smile and went to open the door to talk to them. But once he opened the door and heard the conversation, he froze and felt that his world collapsed.

 

“I don’t get him, he acts as if he’s close with everyone and acts as if he’s a mother hen.” Johnny told Ten.

 

“He’s just a kind person and would like to extend that kindness to others.” Ten defended Kun and Kun internally thanked Ten for being understanding.

 

“Still, it irks me. He feels fake.” Johnny added and that hurt Kun so much, he wasn’t even pretending to be anything, he’s just extending the kindness to everyone since his parents had raised him to be kind, compassionate and understanding.

 

He felt tears fell from his eyes so he turned and left the place, texting Ten that he had a rush work assignment that he had to finish and that he was sorry for missing their weekly hangout. That night, Kun had plugged his earphones and played the saddest love song that he could find and play. Kun felt his heart broken into pieces because of what he heard, never mind that it was from his crush.

 

Kun groomed himself and attended his classes and their gathering. He still smiled at everyone even at Johnny but every time Johnny would look at him and scoff or completely ignore him, he die a little bit more but tried not to show it. They were gathered in Johnny and Jaehyun’s apartment for one of their hangouts and while he was in the kitchen helping Taeyong and Doyoung cook, Johnny came to check up on them. Kun kept his back turned, stirring the contents of the pot so he would not face Johnny or talk to him. It was for the best since he knew Johnny did want him there in the first place.

 

“Kun?” Taeyong asked and Kun turned to Taeyong, eyeing Johnny in the process. “Do you want a beer?” Taeyong asked and Kun shook his head.

 

“I have an evaluation tomorrow, I need to stay sober.” Kun answered, not a lie since he did have a placement exam in the afternoon.

 

“Why are you tiring yourself then?” Doyougn reprimanded his friend and took the ladle from him.

 

“It’s in the afternoon, I’ve practiced enough for it so it will be fine.” Kun assured him.

 

“Can we watch?” Taeyong asked and Kun cocked his head to the side to think.

 

“I guess so, they open the auditorium and lower years are usually invited to observe so they can have a feel for the placement. Relatives and friends are also invited so they can watch and record for their purposes.” Kun explained and Taeyong’s eyes shone bright.

 

“We’ll be there to support you!” Taeyong chirped and Kun shook his head.

 

“I have something to do.” Johnny countered Taeyong and the younger of the two glared at him.

 

“What’s more important than supporting our friend with their placement?” Taeyong asked and Johnny was ready to spout a rebuttal but Kun stopped the confrontation.

 

“It’s nothing important hyung, I am sure you have schedules already planned.” Kun said and Taeyong shook his head.

 

“We’ll be there!” Taeyong assured him as Johnny walked out of the kitchen. Kun smiled at him but sighed after as he turned to the stove.

 

 

Kun was surprised to see the whole gang present for his placement and Jaehyun informed him that he plays piano casually so he was excited to watch Kun. Kun told him to not expect much from him. Everyone then wished him luck which made Kun smile wide and promised to do his best for them. When he returned to the back, he took a deep breath and focused on his friends cheering for him rather than Johnny’s disappointed face because he knew he’ll just cry if he focus on those.

 

Kun’s name was called and the audience applauded. Good thing Taeil informed them of the decorum or else Taeyong and Ten would have whistled and screamed his name loudly. Kun bowed and took a seat on the bench. He took a deep breath before he pressed the keys of the piano. The room was silent as he played the classical piece flawlessly, each note resonated not just the emotion of the song but the skill of the pianist playing them. The resounding applause after was enough confirmation for Kun but the gold medal for his level 10 placement was a bonus.

 

His friends had engulfed him in congratulations and hugs that he was overwhelmed. He thanked them and offered to treat them so they all went to the nearby barbecue place to celebrate. Kun was surrounded with people who he dearly likes and is grateful for making his stay in Korea worthwhile.

 

“I really want to thank everyone for coming to support me in my placement.” Kun had said towards the end of their celebration. “And since it was the last placement for my course, I will have to return to China soon.” He said with a sad smile. “Thank you so much for making my stay in Korea a fun experience.” Kun finished and everyone raised their glasses for him.

 

“How long will you stay?” Ten asked next to him.

 

“A few weeks give or take. I told my parents that I wanted to travel before going back.” Kun answered and Ten nodded.

 

“Doing it alone?” Taeyong inquired and Kun nodded.

 

“Wanted to do some soul searching before I get to be whisked into employment.” Kun shrugged and took a lettuce wrap.

 

“Take care then okay?” Doyoung said and Kun nodded.

 

“I will.” Kun assured them.

 

 

They said their good byes after dinner and Kun settled the bill. He was ready to leave when he saw Johnny standing by the door and glaring at him. He bit his lip and bowed at the cashier before he put his friendliest smile and walked towards Johnny.

 

“It’s all settled now.” He said and when Johnny was unresponsive, Kun bowed at him and turned to the door.

 

‘You have a knack of making it all about you.” Johnny said and Kun froze and turned towards him.

 

“I’m sorry.” Kun said but Johnny scoffed and walked past him, joining the others before the group separate into different directions.

 

Kun bit his lip and tried to will the tears away before he joined the rest, putting his best smile for everyone before he Joined Ten and Taeyong to walk back to their dorm. Once he was safely inside his room, he broke down in tears, how can Johnny hate him so much?

 

 

The next morning, Kun knocked on Ten and Taeyong’s dorm and bid them goodbye before he went out and climb into his waiting cab.

 

Kun had returned for his graduation, joining Taeil, Johnny, Taeyong and Yuta in the ceremony. Their friends had gathered to cheer them up and this time they met Kun’s parents who were just as kind as their son was. Kun was glad to introduce them, and when Mr and Mrs. Moon, Mr and Mrs. Lee, and Mr and Mrs. Nakamoto were introduced to them, Kun’s parents were ecstatic to meet them despite the limited Korean that they tried to learn before going to Korea for Kun’s graduation. Kun tried to introduce his parents to Mr. And Mrs. Suh but seeing how Johnny glared at him still, he pushed it to the back of his mind allowed Ten to whisk his parents away to chat. Kun sat on the bench while he waited for them to finish, holding his cap and diploma as he watched from a safe distance. He felt someone sat next to him and Kun was surprised to see Mrs. Suh smiling at him.

 

“You’re younger than Johnny right?” She asked and Kun nodded politely. “You must be a prodigy then to have graduated earlier.” She remarked with a kind smile.

 

“Thank you Ma’am, but I am not one. I just study hard.” Kun answered her, selling himself short because that’s how he sees himself.

 

“You’ve been distant from my son, I just noticed.” She pointed out and Kun smiled at her sadly.

 

“It’s not intentional Ma’am.” He replied.

 

“Really?” She asked with a laugh. “Does my son intimidates you?” She asked once more and Kun shook his head.

 

“No, not really Ma’am. I just know that he doesn’t like me. He tolerates my presence but that’s about it.” Kun confessed then bowed at her. “I better rescue my parents.” he excused himself and bowed once more before he left to get his parent away from Ten.

 

Mrs Suh looked at Kun with sad eyes, she can tell that Kun is a good kid but if he felt that Johnny hated him, then her presence must really hurt him. She turned to Taeyong and congratulated him and his parents, she’ll keep her thoughts for now.

 

The group threw a combined party for their group of friends and Kun would have backed out if not for the others’ parents insisting that they came and celebrate. Kun smiled gratefully and accepted the offer, powering through another few hours for the sake of his parents and friends. Kun unfortunately have to sit next to Johnny at the venue and Kun would have wanted to turn back but his parents were already led to the parents table adjacent there and he could do nothing about it. He kept on his smile and engaged as they had their dinner, trying to act normal for everyone. It was all good, a few more minutes and he’d survive hell but fate wasn’t kind to Kun so when he moved his hand on the table, the glass of red wine tipped and it stained Johnny’s white button down. Kun tried to grab a napkin but Johnny’s voice was cold that he literally froze.

 

“Don’t touch me.” Johnny gritted out and Kun bit his lip as he tried no t to cry. He watched Johnny stood and leave for the bathroom before he sighed and took the napkin to wipe the table to prevent the spill from worsening.

 

“Hey, it’s okay.” Yuta assured him.

 

“Can I leave early?” Kun asked and Taeil nodded. “Thank you.” Kun bowed his head and approached his parents who excused themselves and left with their son, but not before they offered to pay for their share, Mrs. Suh quickly declined the offer.

 

When Johnny returned, he noticed that Kun and his parents were gone and when he sat down, he noticed a gift box on the table. “Kun’s gift.” Taeil merely said and Johnny ignored it (Mrs. Suh later took it before they left the restaurant).

 

“Do you hate Kun?” Mrs. Suh asked Johnny when they returned to the hotel where his parents were staying for the weekend.

 

“No.” Johnny replied.

 

“Your actions tell a different story. Had Kun done anything to you to warrant such behavior?” His mother asked and Johnny sighed.

 

“No, he hasn’t. I just don’t feel like associating myself with him.” Johnny replied and his mom nodded.

 

“Congratulations, you made your goal.” She said and left the box in Johnny’s bed before she left for her own room.

 

Johnny took the box and threw it at the wall, the force of the throw bursting the box and content spilled on the carpeted floor. The gift was a snow globe, a custom one with Johnny’s figurine, but what remained of it was shattered glass and porcelain. He took the letter to throw away when he had a glimpse on what was written on it.

 

 

I know that you hate me Johnny-ssi. I know that you don’t like me calling you hyung. I know that you don’t want to see me. But I hope one day you can tell me face to face so I can look at you and not cry.

 

Johnny crumpled the paper and threw it in the trash, why is it always about him?

 

 

----

 

A/n: Part 2 will be Johnny’s side of the story