Chapter 3

Fights, love,regret : Hyeju

HYEWON POV

9 AM

*RINGG* *RINGGG*

It's nine o'clock. Sunlight shines through the blinds and hits my hand as I try to turn off my alarm. Ughh stupid alarm. Stupid job. Just let me sleep inn. I don't know why I took up this job. Yena pushed me to do it because she said it would help me get out of my shell. I would much rather stay home, eat, and play video games, but nevertheless I have a job to get to. I got out of bed and washed my face. Looking through my closet I spotted my work uniform. The same rusted brown apron. The same white collared shirt. The same coffee stains. Routine.

I do the same things every day. Wake up. Go to school. Go home. The only times my routine changes is on the weekend. Wake up. Go to work. Go home. Routine.

After putting on my uniform, I grabbed my car keys and my jacket and walked out my dorm room. *click* I locked my door before leaving to the cafe. 

 

When I made it to the cafe I set my stuff down and washed my hands. Rush hour is at 11 o'clock. I glanced at the analog clock stationed above the door. 10:34.  30 ish more minutes till rush hour. I grabbed the coffee beans from the back and prepared everything I need. Unfortunately, my co-workers, the other baristas, decided to bail last minute, so I have to deal with all the customers myself.

*sigh* I better be paid triple today. 

 

tick tock tick tock 

Having a job is quite risky for people like me. We need to hide our powers from the powerless. Not that many of us have a job..and I wasn't planning on having one either. Thanks Yena.. 

 

ding

The bell hanging on the door rang, signaling the entrance of a customer. 

ding ding ding ding

Multiple rings..rush hour has begun.

 

"Hi, what would you like to order"

The once quiet cafe was now bustling with noise. Shuffling foot steps. dings that sounded whenever the door opened. Chatter from every table. Phone calls and text notifications. The coffee machine whirring and stirring. The hiss sound that came out whenever the coffee was ready. Honk. Cars driving by and people shouting. 

 

I took everyone's orders and brewed the coffee. 5 coffees..who orders 5 coffees for themself. I sighed to myself and placed all the coffees on a tray. Balancing the steaming, dark coffees on the tray, the aroma of rich, nutty coffee filled my nose. I lifted the tray and started walking to the customer's table. ding  As I was walking, I lost footing and fell forward. I closed my eyes and waited for the hard floor to hit my skin, but it never came. Instead, something soft embraced me and caught the tray, being careful with the drinks. I slowly opened my eyes and came face to face with the person I never expected to see, Kim Minju. 

I pulled away from her and took the tray back, averting my gaze to the customer's table. But before I could escape, she moved in front of me, stopping me in my tracks. 

MINJU POV

I stepped in front of her and took the tray. She looked at me with questioning eyes as if she was asking me what I was doing. I took the tray to the customer's table and placed it down. 

"Here is your order, enjoy," I said in my most customer service-y voice.

I saw Hyewon walking away and scrunched my eyebrows. She must not like staying in one spot, because she always seems to disappear. Before she could disappear, I grabbed her wrist, spinning her around to look at me. 

"What," she said.

"Let's talk," I said cheefully, with a smile plastered on my face.

"No, I'm busy," she replied monotonously.

She glanced at my hand and I followed her gaze to see me still holding on to her hand. I quickly released my hold on her as she looked away. I looked at her face and saw a tint of red on her cheeks.

"Are you..blushing?" I asked.

"What, no."

Did I get the ever-stoic, cold, only talks to two people, Hyewon to blush?

"No..It's..It's the cold." She stuttered

"Huh. It's the cold. And not that I held your hand? Hehe you look really cute right now" I said smirking teasingly.

 "N-no," she stuttered, voice cracking, with an even darker hue of red on her cheeks.

 

---

Author's Note:

Decided to write today 🤷‍♀️ 

Ahh of missing pieces and bubbles finally updated :)) If u haven't read it u should. It's really good.

I'm trying to improve my writing so tell me what you think of the chapter 😗