Reality

The One That Should Have Gotten Away

She has just one new message when she woke up. She'll check it later. She's sure it's him. She hopes it's him.


It's 10 in the morning. That means she had been asleep for eight hours straight. Lately, she's been noticing that she has better sleep when they fight. Yes, they are fighting...again. It's been exhausting.


She decided to open the message before getting up. "You don't even know how to say 'goodnight'? Ok." It was him.


She remembers their phone convesation last night. He was playing Genshin Impact and she was scrolling thru Facebook. They did not really talk. He was saying something about the game and she wasn't really talking, just acknowledging what he was saying by mumbling 'hmmn'. She didn't want to say anything because just before he started playing, he told her to shut up. She was just telling him about something he wanted her to research for, and he wanted her to shut up. So she did.


A few minutes in her silence she said, "I'm going to sleep."


"Okay. I'll just play games here. Goodnight."


She hung up the phone without saying anything and left her phone on her bed-side table. She remembers thinking that he either didn't care about her silence, or he didn't notice the change in her mood. They have been together for six years. He should have cared, he should have noticed. And she fell asleep.

 

 

 


Dara decided to get up. Just last night, she was telling herself she would start jogging in the morning. She won't be able to do that today anymore. Another bummer.


She made herself coffee and prepared left over chicken for her breakfast. Even while doing mundane things, she couldn't help thinking about Jiyong.


They have been in a relationship for six years but Dara is not Jiyong's girlfriend. Jiyong has Kiko, and she has been his girlfriend for eight years. Dara is Jiyong's side chick, his other girl, his mistress.


Dara still doesn't know how and why she agreed on this set up. She knew he has a girlfirend, she knew he won't break up with her. She knew it was wrong. Wrong on so many levels, and yet, here she is, having a fight with a man that will never be hers.