11/XI

Sound of Silence

Joohyun opened the door to her place. The lights were already and the sound of the TV was resonating through the apartment. Seulgi followed behind her, into the kitchen taking a glass of water.

‘’What are you watching?’’ Joohyun asked Yeri and Sooyoung who were on the couch, watching TV, way too absorbed to notice anyone coming in.

‘’We just shuffled Netflix. Did you bring any food?’’ Sooyoung paused the movie and walked into the kitchen, followed by Yerim who bowed at the attendings.

‘’No. Why are you not at work? How come you have so much free time I never see you work?’’ Joohyun asked furrowing her brows. She looked over at Seulgi who already got her laptop out, ready to work again.

‘’Shift is in an hour. We just had a break.’’ Yerim specified, shyly. Joohyun looked at her, with a raise brow. She was trying to warm up to the intern, she really was but it was taking time.

‘’Hm, okay.’’ She finally said, taking water out of the fridge. The two youngest decided to leave both Joohyun and Seulgi alone.

 

‘’You’re harsh.’’ Seulgi whispered after a while, her glasses now on, focused on her computer screen.

‘’I’m trying.’’ Joohyun replied, scratching her head. It had been an exhausting day. Although since she became an attending two years ago her work has lessened, but it was still huge. At least ten hours a day at best.

‘’I have to go home.’’ Seulgi suddenly whispered, closing her laptop and packing her stuff up, making Joohyun confused.

‘’What? Why? We just arrived here.’’

Seulgi did not reply. She got up and packed her stuff, ignoring Joohyun’s question. Before going out of the kitchen, she gave her a small smile, a kiss on the forehead, before leaving home and Joohyun confused.

 

 

At 7am, Joohyun was already on the road, driving carefully. It had been raining today, and lots of traffic. She dreaded it. Mostly because lots of trauma cases that could arrive during the day. And she hated trauma, avoided it as much as she could. It was chaotic, unorganized, too loud.

She could not find sleep at night, wondering why Seulgi had left so early. She tried not to think too much about it, knowing Seulig needed some space and time alone, to recharge and sort her thoughts. And these past few days had not been easy on her.

She bit her nail, waiting in traffic to turn left and pick up Jennie. Her best friend was the one who had it worse. She wondered how it all would end for everyone. Nothing seemed to be going right ever since she got with Seulgi and she wondered if they were at the origins of the cosmic shift in the hospital that turn everyone’s life into literal hell.

She turned left, and waited in front of Jennie’s house, sending her a text she was already there.

‘’Hi.’’ Jennie said, entering the car, a donut and coffee in her hands.

‘’These sweets are not good during pregnancy. Unless…’’ Joohyun said starting the engine, getting out of the parking spot.

‘’I’m keeping the child and getting a divorce. I don’t want pity or talk about it until it’s finalized. But if I call you crying just please answer.’’ Jennie rambled, buckling her belt. Joohyun pursed her lips and focused on the road.

‘’Have you talked with-‘’ Joohyun tried to say but Jennie quickly cut her off.

‘’I’m keeping it. I’m 36 years old, an attending. And Jisoo lost her . And I deserve it. It’s over. I don’t know. I don’t want to talk about it now, okay?’’ Jennie said in a high pitched tone, clearly panicking. Sensing her distress, Joohyun changed the subject quickly.

 

 

Seulgi was taking back all her chart’s patients after she had been officially rehabilitated by Sunmi. She was going through the files, to see what surgery she would be able to do. She needed it to empty her mind. And then to visit her mom. And then talk with Joohyun.

Seulgi had never been good at controlling her emotions, a part of the reason why it did not work with Jinyoung. She felt too much without being able to communicate it.

She finished reading the file about an epilepsy patient and gave the file to the main OR nurse, silently asking her to schedule it ASAP.

Although her mind was a beehive, she was still in a good mood today. She was able to speak, she felt it. It made her smile. Days like these were rare.

She walked towards the attending’s lounge and wondered if she should go to Joohyun. Ask her whether she lied or not. She wanted to understand. And she knew Joohyun’s mind was already in overdrive thinking about yesterday.

 

‘’Dr. Kang.’’ A fellow neurosurgeon greeted her, and she bowed back to him. She noticed Joohyun was next to the kettle, waiting for her tea to be done. Joohyun saw her and smiled at her.

‘’The others seem to be late today.’’ Joohyun started to talk. Seulgi decided to walk closer to her and take a cup to fill with coffee. She gulped, wondering if this was the right moment. But it was when she could talk. She looked around and saw the other attending being busy with his charts.

‘’D-did you lie to me?’’ She finally said, still in a whisper. Joohyun took a step back looking up and down at Seulgi.

‘’What?’’ She asked with a small chuckle.

‘’You…’’ Seulgi paused. ‘’Said you never had serious relationship.’’ She said and Joohyun shook her head.

‘’I did-‘’ She tried to speak but Seulgi cut her off.

‘’Seungwan said-‘’ She swallowed. ‘’Last time, about a him. She mentioned a him.’’ Seulgi said and Joohyun heaved a sigh.

‘’I did not lie. It was not a real relationship to me.’’ She replied in a harsh whisper, glancing at the attending behind Seulgi.

‘’But-‘’

‘’Seulgi. I… I am not ready to talk about it. Please. Let’s- Let’s not do it at work. I don’t want to mix feelings and work. Please.’’ Joohyun pleaded looking at Seulgi who had her brows furrowed.

‘’Understood, Dr. Bae.’’ Seulgi said before going out of the attending’s lounge.

 

---

 

very small update, but I am *trying* to write a full chapter. but lately writing does not come easy to me, so i'm sorry for taking so long to update this fic with so little.