A Healthy Departure

A Healthy Departure

Momo Looks At Her  Mina Looks Back

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Momo could tune into Mina's tiny voice almost too well, even with all of the noise in the area.

Mina cleared out a little more, "Anyways, take this with you. I made it last night so you can remember me for when you're gone", and handed Momo a heart shaped locket, "It kind of that you're going off on a trip during your birthday time so I thought I'd give an early present."

Momo felt touched. She reached out to hold her cute sweater paws. (Mina looks so beautiful no matter what she wears...) Even though Momo had to leave early in the morning, Mina wanted to see her off still wearing a simple white sweater and comfy track pants that she slept in last night. Momo was about to say something back before a man in similar uniform intruded on Momo's timing and signaled towards the departure zone, "Agent Hirai, time is of the essence, we need to go. I can't keep stalling the President for you."

Momo got exasperated and sighed before turning her head around, "Tsk, I know, but why is she so impatient? What's the rush? We're ahead of schedule so a couple of minutes shouldn't be too much to ask for right? I'll take responsibility for it."

He looked at her with a contorted face knowing he was stuck between two hard-headed people, "I understand, but the CEO is also looking to finish her work to head back soon as well."

Interrupted by unfortunate timing, she grimaced and smiled at Mina... Mina's eyes lit up and smiled right back. Momo reluctantly gave up. She gave Mina a quick peck on the lips, "I love you. I'll be back before you know it", and winked at her. Momo's heart and eyes softened, while she gazed back at Her walking alongside as far as possible before being stopped. Mina waved her last goodbye as Momo walked on. Momo's gaze shifted forward and chuckled to herself fantasizing about the future.

 

As the group processed onto the private plane, Momo thought to herself, (I don't really recognize many of these people. Are they the new personnel?), before she stepped on and took a seat in the middle of the formation, "Alright President Chou, what's the hurry? I thought haste made waste."

"Don't make me jealous Momo. I want to finish this quickly and see my person too. She can't be like you and your girlfriend romantically frolicking through the terminal. Also, can you not? Hearing that from a close friend makes me physically cringe."

CEO Chou Tzuyu. Tall, beautiful, and smart too. God clearly was playing favorites for a certain someone. Who would have thought that your own close friend from high school would be some sort of big shot of a company later on?

"Yeah I know. You and me both. I was just teasing you~", Momo looked out of the plane windows to try and catch Mina. She always stays back to watch the plane turn into a speck in the sky... Momo scanned the terminal through the glass panes before spotting Mina gazing back at her. And scarily enough, Mina just knows to wave the moment Momo's eyes land on her. Momo let out a puff of air grinning to herself.

"Ew, you look so dumb right now", Tzuyu looked at Momo in disgusting awe.

Momo flipped her head and snapped back at Tzuyu, "Hey, you know what? You look exactly the same when you're with Chaeyoung, or do you want me to sneak pictures of you so you can see how "ew" you look."

The two looked at each other for a silent second before they burst out laughing.

Tzuyu breaks into the mood saying seriously, "Here's hoping for another successful trip", and then the plane started moving.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Mina

By the time the team's long awaited arrival date and time was announced, Mina was one of the first to immediately respond to the notification and arrived early. Mina, was just waiting for Momo to come back. Ready to hold her tight until she was sure Momo wasn't going away. Ready to kiss her like there was no tomorrow. Ready to finally return home with her other half.

However, Momo was... nowhere in sight.

Person after person, Mina eye lasered each person getting off the plane. She anxiously anticipated for Momo to step out only to be met with disappointment.

Mina2  Mina3

From within the plane, a last set of men were holding Momo's portrait. Mina's first reaction was shock, into disbelief, into shocked disbelief.

She denied it. It's not true. It can't be. She truly believed that Momo would come back. She always did.

Her bright smile would always shine at her and only her each and every time she came back. She always came back. She wouldn't break promises. Never. She promised to come back safely.

So then... why is Momo not here joking around like usual?! Why is there a portrait of Momo and not the real thing standing in front of her?! Why..? Why are these tears falling off my face..?

At this point, a second-in-command militant walked up to Mina, although Mina was secluded in her rapidly breaking down world paying no mind to her surroundings.

"..oui...Ms. Myoui?"

He tried getting her attention for quite some time before she stuttered out, "y-yes? Uh, .. . ."

Mina attempted to recollect herself and remembered this man from the beginning departure. She felt a huge rock swell up in making her unable to form any sort of reply. Her eyes welled up with incredible sorrow as she tried to blink back the tears.

The person knew, that what was best was not a drawn out explanation, but a swift and condoling statement, "Ms. Myoui, Hirai Momo, honorably served her duty to her upmost ability to have many of us return, but has unfortunately deceased on the field. We send our deepest condolences to you upon the passing of Hirai Momo. We wish to be able to communicate about this further. After you have, grieved."

Mina's heart suddenly gave way. It ached, and tore, and it 𝘩𝘶𝘳𝘵, so, much.

She uneasily fell to the floor clutching her chest, breathing heavily and unevenly while looking about as if trying to find reason with what the hell is happening in this world.

'What about the promise Momo?! What's the point of making one if you can't keep that promise...?'

Mina's hands were still clutching the piece of paper, passport, and documents, only, with intensive grip.

'It was going to be a celebration after this final trip Momo. We were finally going to go to Hawaii like I always wanted to'

That's what they pledged when they both got married. Unfortunately, their honeymoon kept getting delayed.

'You planned so far for this, making elaborate plans with that joyful smile on your face, and giggling at the thoughts of what we would do. How can I visit Hawaii now? It means nothing if you're not here by my side. Nothing means anything if I don't have you to share it with...'

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[Here Lies Hirai Momo]

[In Loving Memory]

[1996 - 2023]