Love; More than a Mask can Hide

Love; More than a Mask can Hide
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Darkness.

 

The room hasn’t seen the light of day ever since the owner of this place fell from the skies. Dust filled the room while the clutter lay dormant on the floors. If anyone were to enter, they would probably bring home a handful of dust as a souvenir.

 

Silence embraced the room, it felt as if no life was present but there’s a faint breath, the sound of inhaling and exhaling. Within the place’s dark silence was a man. He could barely remember the date nor the time, but he knew that he has been there for a long time.

 

He sat on the white couch adjacent to a massive wedding portrait hanging on the pearl grey walls in the living room. The guy’s red hair has already grown over the days of silence. He welcomed the quietness that surrounded him, though it breaks from time to time.

 

He hasn’t gone out of his home despite the chaos that has swallowed Seoul. His mind was empty, yet visions of his trivial past knocked and threatened him. His eyes wandered to the broken television under the portrait. It reminded him of the news he hoped he could forget. His ears rang, hearing the old news of Seoul falling into the vicious hands of the city’s worst villain.

 

 

”…and confirmation of our greatest hero’s defeat.”

”The Villain won.”

”Breaking News, villains sing praises over the loss of our beloved hero—Blaze.”

 

 

The guy gritted his teeth before shaking his head. Trying to push away the news reports that flashed on the TV before its untimely demise. 

 

Heroes and Villains. 

It was a world where gifted individuals rise to become one of the greater good or succumb to the evil within. And though not everyone was privileged enough to receive powers, those who do take it upon themselves to rise above those who are weak and rule among everyone. And that is where others took a stand to protect and defend.

 

Chanyeol was one of those people. He was gifted with the power of fire. His flames ranged from the hottest that could melt anything in its path to the flames of purity that cleansed people’s soul of malice and evil. Though his power may not work on everyone, it was still one of the most important discoveries the Hero’s Guild has ever found.

 

The Hero Guild was a renowned group that helped Heroes control their powers and become humanity’s help from the vicious villains that wish nothing but world domination.

 

But like any hero, he wasn’t as invincible as people thought he was. No. He was just a man who wore a costume to help others but behind that costume lies a man that valued his family, took importance of his friends, and someone who fell in love.

 

He bit his lip as he looked up. The wedding portrait that hung on the wall was his pride and joy. It was more because of the moment captured rather than what was on it. A perfect picture of two men donning their tuxedos with bright, loving smiles. A smaller guy wearing a white tuxedo with gorgeous brown locks that were swept back, delivering a y vibe. The other guy was taller with red hair who had a black suit on with one hand over his lover’s shoulders and the other holding his hand. The redhead scoffed at himself, gone was the life in his eyes. He was different from the man in the picture. No, that wasn’t right. He was the same man, only… broken.

 

When his eyes landed on his dearly beloved, his heart sank. He remembered how that twinkle in his lover’s eyes had become his oasis and his smile was the very definition of comfort. For him, Kyungsoo was everything; the man he treasured, the man he loved, the man who was his entire world.

 

Chanyeol let out a shaky breath as he stared at the picture, his mind revisiting the exact moment the picture was taken.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

Chanyeol knew Kyungsoo was nervous yet he couldn’t help but smile at his lover. He could feel how cold Kyungsoo’s hands were, and despite having the ability to warm them up, Chanyeol simply kissed them before staring at those lovely shining eyes.

 

“It’s… really happening.” Chanyeol stated with a smile.

 

Kyungsoo nodded, agreeing to the statement. Chanyeol could feel his heart thumping inside his chest, the beauty of his lover swallowing him into a deeper pit of love. Kyungsoo was undeniably perfect for Chanyeol, and there was nothing in the world that could make him think otherwise.

 

“You mean… it’s finally happening.” Kyungsoo raised a brow which Chanyeol found cute.

 

“Finally.” Chanyeol repeated before placing another kiss on his lover’s hand. He his lips before snickering, leaning in to place a kiss on his lover’s forehead. Chanyeol squeezed Kyungsoo’s hand, “Are you still nervous?”

 

Kyungsoo looked around before smiling. The autumn breeze layered a relaxing shiver on his skin as if relaying the perfection of today’s event. The nervousness he felt didn’t fade away, but he was glad that Chanyeol was there to stand by him. “Nervous about what’s going to happen after everything. But… I feel content. Although I can’t help but feel like we’re standing on top of a sandcastle.”

 

“Sandcastle? Whatever we have won’t easily break down like a sandcastle. I’ll make sure of it. You’re stuck to me from today until always.” Chanyeol smiled, lifting his lover’s hand to pat another kiss on it. “I love you, Kyungsoo.”

 

“I love you, Chanyeol.” Kyungsoo smiled. 

 

To this day, Chanyeol found that smile to be the foundation of his existence. He couldn’t believe how he managed to live his life for so long without that smile. Just by seeing it, he could already feel the universe align into a beautiful cosmic agreement. Kyungsoo is perfect .

 

Chanyeol took that opportunity to lean in and capture his lover’s lips. Luscious lips that brought him more than comfort but something more satisfactory than the essence of life itself.


 

~~~ 


 

Chanyeol flinched awake from his daydream. His head throbbed in pain as the sound of sirens echoed in the neighbourhood. His gaze moved away from the picture on the wall, landing on the black-out curtains that covered the windows  Kyungsoo used to leave open. His lover liked to stand by the windows, looking outside as if watching something. He said the lights on the buildings looked like twinkling stars in a sea of darkness. He liked watching the cars with their lights glimmering along the roads, illuminating the streets with bright reds and yellows.

 

The redhead let out a deep sigh.

 

As he thought about it, he remembered when the city gave this penthouse suite to him. He wanted to refuse it and live in a humbler home where he didn’t have prying eyes watching his every move. And though the place was gorgeous, he wanted to live in a secluded place where he could keep Kyungsoo all to himself. But it was when they were looking for a place to stay that he realized how the city’s gift would fill his lover with joy. 

 

When he saw Kyungsoo’s eyes glimmered with excitement at the sight of the scenery, he thanked the mayor and accepted their gift. However, he pleaded for one condition for his acceptance. It was that only government officials and his friends were to know about his whereabouts; no media personnel were allowed to know about his place of residency.

 

Months of living there were absolutely fantastic. He saw a striking difference with Kyungsoo, he was more cheerful, fulfilled and brighter than ever. He was happy his lover loved the place. And just like that, each and every square meter of the penthouse had significant memories that Chanyeol treasured. It was a place where he was going to call home. Not only for him but for his family with Kyungsoo.

 

But now, he wondered if he still deserved it. He should’ve been kicked out, ridiculed, and banished from the city after his crushing defeat. Yet, he was still there. He was still inside the place where he shared countless of memories with Kyungsoo. The times that brought him smiles, laughter, love. Painfully so, it was also the place that brought him sadness, tears, and pain.

 

A loud explosion earned his attention. It pulled him out of his trance, his feet moved on their own towards the windows to reach for the black-out curtains. He moved the curtain ever so slightly, peeking at what’s outside. 

 

He digested the city’s fall. Buildings were burning, people were running and amongst the chaos were heroes and villains fighting. He was too tired, too sick of fighting, that the sight of smoke coming out of burning buildings didn’t faze him anymore. The explosions were obviously from villains who rose in power after his failure.

 

The buildings burned in the sea of flames, the same ability that Chanyeol used to save them. He could hear the sirens over the distance, wailing into corners of every street in hopes to reach a destination that wasn’t destroyed nor consumed into nothing but ashes. His heart pounded at the scene in front of him, it was the fall of the place he once protected. People fled in panic, their screams of horror filling the streets. Laughter, that maniacal laughter pounded inside Chanyeol’s head. They were mocking him, laughing at his failure to protect the very city that hailed him a hero. 

 

He immediately closed the curtain when thoughts of his defeat crawled back in his mind like a parasite yearning to destroy him. His friend already healed the wound inflicted on him, but a different kind of pain enveloped him. It was a pain that no amount of healing can ever mend.

 

Chanyeol took a sidestep, leaning his back on the wall as he slid down. He covered his face with his palms when his head started to hurt again, but he welcomed the pain throbbing in his head. It was better, far better , than that other pain he felt. 

 

Despite numerous days of isolation, the pain was still unbearable. Tears streamed down his face, and though he was tired of sobbing it still came out of him. He fell back into a pit of negativity. Chanyeol hissed, grabbing his chest and pounding his fist on it as if it’ll help ease the ache. The pain in his head wasn’t enough to cover the excruciating pain on his chest and no matter how many times he tried to pound it away, it would always come back to haunt him. Because he knew that no amount of pounding will ever stop his heart from beating.

 

It felt like a seed, rooting itself into the depths of his heart. And instead of flowers, it grew thorns that stabbed him. Viciously attacking him from the inside out. The roots grew deep, painfully settling themselves into Chanyeol’s heart like it was nothing but mere dirt. He hated it; the feeling, the sensation. What once bloomed with love, was now a source of pain for Seoul’s greatest Hero. Still— he hoped, he wished, and he desired what once was. Though he will never know if that day would ever come.

 

As his hands fell on the floor as another tear fell, he was ready to surrender to his mind’s pollution when he felt a familiar feeling on his palm. Looking over it, it was his superhero suit sprawled on the floor like a rag. He scoffed at it, thinking about how pathetic he’s fallen from the ray of hope that people labelled him to be.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol smiled and the crowd cheered with heavy praises. Their voices filled with excitement as the mayor handed him the key to the city. A key that every hero hoped to receive. Of course Chanyeol was one of those heroes who wished to receive it, and now that it’s happening he couldn’t contain the happiness that was blossoming inside his heart. He was even more determined to help the people in need. He was going to save the city and then maybe the entire nation. He was thrilled, the adrenaline rushing through his veins and sending an electric kiss right under his skin.

 

“Thank you, Blaze! You have saved countless lives with your power. And for that, on behalf of the City of Seoul, I would like to say my sincerest thank you.” The mayor gave Chanyeol a 90-degree bow which the hero also gave back.

 

The camera flashed around. Taking a picture of him with his eye-catching hero costume. Wearing that recognizable red and orange ombre blazer that reached down to his knees with three chains hanging in front to keep it from falling, Chanyeol smiled at the camera even though he was wearing a mask that covered his pearly whites. His red leather pants always stood out, since the hero would often fly with his flames propelling him from the ground. His lovely red hair was pulled back, gelled into place so it won’t move. With his costume, people would always cheer when they see him. The colour red became a symbol of heroism to the people.

 

And even though Chanyeol’s mask made him look like a ninja, the people were happy to find sincerity in his eyes. What more, the voluptuous upper body that was free for people to look at was definitely a service to everyone. His defined chest and bulging abs was something worth staring at.

 

No matter how much people praised him, he was still human and respect always begets respect.

 

This was one of the reasons why people loved him. Unlike some heroes, he was down to earth and willing to help anyone as long as he possibly can. He would never hesitate to stop to save someone and that’s why everyone loved him.

 

 

Almost everyone.

 

 

Chanyeol’s archnemesis, the elusive villain who goes by the pseudonym Ekho .

 

Ekho was quite a character. He was small but sassy, like a cat who’s raring to scratch you the moment you let your guard down. His black long-sleeved crop top gave him that lethal image of pure appeal while his tight black leather pants embraced his lovely thighs. A flared-out dark red cape was connected to his pants which often fluttered as he flew into the sky. And though his costume was already quite a show, certain parts like the sleeves and the sides of his pants were made out of see-through fabric that made him more appealing. Of course, as a villain Ekho donned a full mask that had a blue heart and red spade for its eyes.

 

He was different from other villains. He would always escape just when he’s on his way to jail. It’s like every time Chanyeol captures him, he slips out of his grasp and disappears without a trace. Chanyeol wasn’t even sure what his power was since it changed every time they faced each other.

 

Moments of their fight would often result in a massive clean-up. It didn’t take Chanyeol more than one fight to realize that whenever they needed to fight, he had to steer away from populated areas. The massive wreckage they caused in their first fight was enough for Chanyeol to know that facing him in the center of the city was too destructive for the people who lived there. The citizens appreciated this, of course, since the great hero Blaze thought of their safety before anything else.

 

Though he must admit that his fights with Ekho were quite amusing, to say the least, though the fights were peculiar as if they were staged for them to have fun rather than to actually dismiss each other from their position. The Hero that people praised against the Villain that people detested, it didn’t feel real before.

 

Until the time when Ekho crossed the line with hostages at stake.

 

“What are you planning to do with those people, Ekho?!” Chanyeol called out, his flames becoming a darker hue of red instead of the bright orange luster. It was getting harder to control due to the anger raging inside him.

 

When Chanyeol moved the fight to an abandoned lot, he was surprised to see that Ekho had set-up a surprise for him. He wasn’t sure how the villain knew where they would end up fighting but the villain set-up something as atrocious as hostages. But he was brutally awoken to the fact that Ekho was still, in fact, a villain.

 

A total of 9 hostages floated in mid-air when Ekho snapped his finger. It seemed to be a trigger for the hostages to appear right beside him as he floated on clear blue sky. His dark red cape waved along the wind as Chanyeol felt his heart hammer in his chest. He was worried about the hostages but seeing that the villain took a step like this touched his anger to awaken. The guy was probably controlling them while they were tied in mid-air.

 

He watched, as his archnemesis snickered at him. His crazy chuckled making an appearance which was often a sign that he was enjoying the panic that was brewing inside Chanyeol.

 

The Hero gritted his teeth as he continuously glanced between the non-responsive hostages and Ekho, thinking of a way to save them. He could still see the villain’s circular shield that entrapped him along with the hostages. He knew that the guy was a villain through and through but to use hostages all of a sudden… it wasn’t like him.

 

“I think it’s a great way to spice things up between us. Don’t you?” Ekho responded with a grin.

 

Chanyeol wasn’t one to give up. After all, he didn’t become a hero by doing half- things. He blazed through Ekho’s defensive shield this time, breaking it apart and successfully halting himself near the hostages. He was just about to release them when Ekho stopped him with his warning.

 

“Ah, ah, ah. I wouldn’t do that if I were you. If you so much as touch a hair on them, they’ll go kaboom.” Ekho snickered as he raised his hand to cup his cheek, tapping his finger on his mask. “What will you do now… hero?”

 

“Why are you pulling them into this fight, Ekho?! They’re innocent people! You shouldn’t hurt them like this!” Chanyeol stated which earned a hearty laugh from the villain.

 

“Spare me the hero speech, you don’t even know if these people truly are innocent. Are you forgetting that I’m actually a villain? Don’t think, for one second, that I’m letting any of you go. This will serve as your grave!” Ekho laughed as he clapped his hands.

 

Chanyeol felt a wave radiated from Ekho. He grunted as it passed him but he suddenly felt an ear-piercing screech before an explosion. Chanyeol watched in horror as one of the hostages caught fire. There was no response from the guy despite the flames devouring him. It was odd, the way the hostages seemed too out of it as if under a spell. Chanyeol immediately raised his hand, hoping to control the fire to minimize it and reduce the man’s burns. But he was surprised when the flames didn’t respond to his command

 

He heard another screech before the person next to the first, exploded just like before. Chanyeol heard Ekho’s laughter resounding in his ears but he refused to succumb to the villain’s taunts.

 

Since he was too preoccupied by the hostages, he didn’t notice that he was wide open for the taking. It was a sudden pull and the next moment, Chanyeol felt arms trapping his neck. His hands immediately landed on the arm on his neck, clawing it to stop the villain from choking him. He was still worried about the hostages so he shouldn’t lose his consciousness there.

 

But it was getting harder by the second, air was starting to bid its farewell and Chanyeol’s consciousness was starting to waver. A thought suddenly popped in his head and he covered his whole body with the red flames that consumed everything in its path.

 

Ekho clicked his tongue as he pulled away from Chanyeol. He gritted his teeth as he waved his hand over the burning flame on his arm. He was just about to attack the hero again when Chanyeol turned to face him.

 

“I’m not giving up on these people. And you won’t be able to stop me.” Chanyeol stated with determination as bright yellow fire sparked around him. The purity of the yellow fire was what Chanyeol often used to purify other flames that were out of control and become a beacon to help the regenerative ability of cells to reproduce faster and heal the people. The hero’s flame brightened as it radiated around him, expanding into a sphere to encircle the hostages with him.

 

As the Chanyeol’s flame created a shield, Ekho grumbled in anger to find his plans going awry. 

The flames that were once uncontrollable surrendered into Chanyeol’s control after the yellow fire touched it. The people who were burned by the explosions were critically injured but with the help of Chanyeol’s fire, their wounds slowly recuperated which led them out of death’s door.

 

He turned to Ekho with a smug look in his eyes. “I told you… I’m going to save them.”

 

Ekho called out the hero’s name in frustration, a curse that he’ll do worse next time. “I’ll make sure to get you next time, Blaze!” He blasted as he turned around to vanish into thin air.

 

This confrontation with Ekho was a wake-up call for Chanyeol. He thought the villain was different from the others who would hurt people for their enjoyment. But it was surprising for him, nonetheless, to know that the villain also had an evil streak in him. Which also led to feel disappointed that the villain he used to look forward to fighting still housed evil thoughts just like others do.

 

He wondered, however, if his green fire, that could zap the wiring in people’s heads, would somehow help change Ekho’s ways. But he wishes, from the bottom of his heart, that Ekho wasn’t as evil as he thought he was.


 

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

When the sound of the alarm finally reached Chanyeol’s ears, he stirred awake to find himself lying on the ground just beside the window. He could feel his stomach twist in pain as hunger knocked into his consciousness. He couldn’t even remember the last time he ate. Was it weeks ago? A month? Or was it months ago?

 

Time may have passed for people outside his penthouse but for Chanyeol, it felt like time stood still. It felt like he was stuck in a loop where pain was a fresh blossom that stabbed him right into his heart and once he shut his eyes to rest, it repeats into that cycle of pain to which he desperately hopes to stop. But how could he? Because in truth, he knew exactly what he needed to do to ease the pain that kept on reappearing. He just didn’t want to admit it to himself because…

 

A ray of sunshine distracted him from his thoughts. For the first time in a while, he saw the light of day peeking through the side of the curtain. Rising from the floor, he sat up to gaze upon the ray. The beauty of the sunlight reminded him of nothing but Kyungsoo’s smile. The brightness filled him with joy despite the tears that fell from his eyes. And though he closed his eyes to bask under the sunlight, he could feel the agony thumping along the beat of his heart.

 

He sniffled as he remembered Kyungsoo’s welcoming smile whenever he reached home. Those warm kisses that he had to tip-toe just to deliver. The moments when their lips melded together like it was supposed, meant to be. And though he knew his heart was within his chest, he could hear it tearing apart as memories of the happy days tried to devour his mind.

 

But he welcomed them with open arms. He was rather weak for them. You see, he never could shake away the moments when he reminisced about what was. Kyungsoo became such a big part of his life that no matter how many times he thought about him, all he could think of was the man he fell in love with. The man who became his sunlight, the very core of his existence.

 

He felt his stomach churn in hunger as he drowned in reverie. It then reminded him of pleasant surprises, fragrant food and warm, lovely, kisses.

 

 

~~~

 

 

“Welcome home!”

 

All the fatigue and stress that kept Chanyeol’s body sore immediately melted away the moment he heard his lover’s voice. There was nothing more effective than Kyungsoo’s presence to make Chanyeol feel ultimately better. He felt like he could do anything, simply because Kyungsoo was there.

 

“Hey, hon’.” Chanyeol smiled with brilliance afront the happiness he felt.

 

His husband immediately headed towards him, going on his tiptoes to plant a kiss on his lips. When Chanyeol didn’t lower his head, Kyungsoo looked like the most adorable yet pitiful puppy that he has ever seen. Thus, the sight pulls the redhead to lean down and kiss his husband instead.

 

Most times, their kisses were light. Small pecks or quick smacks, but today he wanted more than just a simple kiss.

 

Chanyeol wrapped his arms around Kyungsoo’s torso to pull his lover closer, erasing all the space between them. He could feel his husband’s arms copying his and he couldn’t help but smile. He knew Kyungsoo would say something about it but he used that opportunity to slip into his lover’s cavern and greet the other’s tongue. Slipping in was easy but pulling away and stopping was the hardest part. Though he never did want to in the first place, his hunger was already scratching his stomach like an animal yearning for food.

 

“The food’s gonna go cold, Chanyeol.” Kyungsoo stated, the first to pull away from the kiss even though he went back for another bout.

 

“Mm.” Chanyeol mumbled with delight as he played with Kyungsoo’s lips. Desire brewing between the two while their food lay silently.

 

“Food.” Kyungsoo called out again, this time he was firm. He didn’t lean back to grab the opportunity for another kiss. He wanted to eat and he knew that Chanyeol was hungry, what with the growling sound coming out of his lover’s stomach.

 

“Mmhmm…” Chanyeol was so mesmerized by Kyungsoo that without lips to stop him, he aimed for his lover’s neck. A soft whimper trembled in Kyungsoo’s throat when Chanyeol’s lips met his neck. Despite the pleasure Chanyeol was delivering, Kyungsoo had to stand his ground and stop his husband or heaven knows this would be another mess he wasn’t willing to clean.

 

“Food’s ready, Chanyeol. Let’s eat.” Kyungsoo reasoned.

 

“Should I just eat you?” Chanyeol asked, looking at his lover’s eyes.

 

He watched as his lover scowled at him. “If you try to make love with me on the table again, I am never going to cook anything.” Kyungsoo threatened.

 

Chanyeol was a fool for his husband and everyone knew him knew that it was a fact. It only took Kyungsoo’s scowling face for Chanyeol to get a hold of himself and face the food prepared on the dining table.

 

“I wouldn’t want that. I guess I can always eat you later.” Chanyeol grinned, earning a light punch on his arm.

 

And with a kiss on his husband’s forehead, they both headed to the dining table to share a meal together.

 

 

 

~~~

 

 

 

A loud knock surprised Chanyeol to awaken. The bright sunlight was nowhere in sight and though it was still bright outside, he was sure that he had fallen asleep again. He furrowed his brows when the knocking came back. Only a few number of people knew his residency and the person he mo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter