| six |

solivagant.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Excuse me, miss?”

 

It will all be alright.

 

Heartbeat.

 

There was some sort of magic in the unexpected, just like what they all said, the best things in life happened the least someone was expecting it to come. And as the minutes passed by for Minjeong who was sitting in silence on the black bench inside the art gallery, an odd expectation was building inside of her, as she began to expect something was about to happen right at this moment, specifically, someone was coming for her now.

 

And when she heard a voice, seemingly calling out for her behind her, without any hesitation, Minjeong immediately looked over her shoulder where fleeting expectations written on her face just resulted into a sheepish smile due to her discovery.

 

“Hi miss, you’re so pretty. Can I get your name and number as well?” Jennie asked her while batting her eyelashes, and pouting her lips.

 

“Unnie! What are you doing?” Minjeong scolded with a look of playful disgust on her face, laughing afterwards from the second-hand embarrassment.

 

“You look so flustered. Don’t tell me you’re expecting someone is actually going to come to you and ask for your name and your number?” Jennie teased, giving her a side eye.

 

“No! Why would I even?” Minjeong protested. Well in fact, she did expect something but she guessed, she really should not put her hopes up too much – the right time would eventually come, she believed.

 

Jennie chuckled. “Anyway, I’m sorry to cut short your visitation hours but we need to go now. The event organizer has called,” she smiled as she walked towards the motorized wheelchair at the corner of the high-ceiling room, then manually pushed it to where the blonde was sitting.

 

“Okay,” Minjeong smiled back.

 

The reason why Minjeong didn’t want to be seated on her wheelchair every time she visited the painting was because she wanted to somehow feel being normal even just for a bit, just like back on those days where she was still capable of walking; and being in a close proximity with the painting was her own kind of heaven where everything was free from any discrepancies, insecurities, and disabilities.

 

Jennie positioned the motorized wheelchair at the edge of the bench sofa as she pushed down the pedal to securely lock its wheels so it wouldn’t move during the transfer. Just like their usual protocol, she should be on stand-by, just in case something went wrong, she was there to assist her cousin immediately while watching Minjeong transferring herself from the bench to her wheelchair. Minjeong didn’t want help every time she wanted to transfer; her reason was she could still use and move her arms and she didn’t want to bother anyone – she didn’t want to feel a burden and useless. But this time, Minjeong didn’t move a muscle which confused Jennie.

 

“Why? What’s wrong? Do you need any help?” Jennie asked as she began to worry.

 

Shaking her head politely, Minjeong smirked at her. “Can you carry and transfer me to my wheelchair?”

 

“What?” Jennie chuckled. “But you said to me before that you don’t want anyone to transfer you because you can do it by yourself?”

 

“I know but I am too tired and sleepy. I can’t do it on my own today,” Minjeong whined, acting like a baby.

 

“Ugh. I know you are so adorable but cut it out,” Jennie laughed, shaking her head in disbelief. “I know you’re just pretending.”

 

“But unnie, if you won’t do it now, we will be late, and if we are late, you will need to do some explaining to the event organizer and the fans. Do you want that? Of course, you don’t,” Minjeong induced her older cousin with a silly smile on her face.

 

Jennie groaned, rolling her eyes playfully as she accepted defeat. “Fine! Is this your way of getting revenge for teasing you earlier?” she asked as she carried Minjeong carefully.

 

“Well, what do you think?”  Minjeong smirked.

 

“I will think of it as a yes,” Jennie replied when she successfully transferred Minjeong to her wheelchair without any problems for the blonde, except for her as she held her lower back. “Now it hurts. I guess I really need to do some exercise,” she complained which resulted in the blonde’s amusement.

 

“You’re right and it’s also a sign of aging. You’re getting older unnie every time you are with me.”

 

“Hey!” Jennie laughed. “And for your information, I’m not that old. I just need a little exercise which reminds me I need to do enroll for a yoga class once we are in Sokcho, as well as I need to bring some of my work stuff so I can stay there with you,” she fished her phone in her pocket as she took notes of it in her reminder app.

 

Minjeong smiled as she observed her older cousin typing on her phone. “You know you really don’t need to come with me in Sokcho. You can stay here in Seoul because this is where we really work. Just think of me going there in Sokcho as just a long vacation. And I also know you aren’t able to make time for yourself that much because of me so I think it’s better for you to just stay here. You should take care of yourself too unnie.”

 

Jennie in complete dismay, quickly lifted off her sight away from her phone to Minjeong, and she totally begged to disagree but as soon as she was about to utter her first word, Minjeong didn’t let her as the blonde continued speaking in a gentle casual tone. “And yes, before you react, just hear me out first unnie.”

 

The older girl badly wanted to protest but she couldn’t do anything yet but to sigh. “Okay,” she granted.

 

Minjeong composed herself as she took her cousin’s hand to her own, gently smiling. “I know that you constantly reassure me countless times throughout these years that I am not a burden to you at all, but sometimes there are moments that I can’t help but to think I am. You have a life too and it should not revolve around taking care of me all the time. You know that I’m eternally grateful for you, and to be honest I don’t know where I am right now without you. And what you’re doing to me, is more than enough that there’s nothing more I can ask for. I think I can handle myself this time. I am fine on my own.”

 

“I know,” Jennie heaved a sigh, looking at her cousin with worry. “But still, I just can’t leave you there alone. You are like my little sister and we are family. You need at least to have someone that I can trust to be your personal assistant to cater your needs anytime and you really need it especially when I’m not around. It’s the only thing that can make me feel reassured that you are safe even when I’m away.”

 

The blonde already thought about it for in the last couple of days during their trip in Europe. She personally didn’t like to have a personal assistant to be with her all the time, which meant to follow her wherever she went or watched her every move except her older cousin – well technically, Jennie was not really her personal assistant because she was actually in charge of running their family businesses for Minjeong didn’t want to take the responsibility because she took a different career path and passion in life, plus, she trusted her cousin wholeheartedly about handling the business matters.

 

Minjeong just found it difficult to trust anyone because all the personal assistants she ever had before were not just a great match for her despite the rules that she established – they’re either too nosy or too paranoid and Minjeong didn’t like that. And this time, she wanted her older cousin to live her life without worrying about her all the time so she decided to give it a chance once more. “Alright. I want to have a personal assistant again during my stay in Sokcho but in few conditions,” she stated.

 

Surprised, Jennie asked. “Okay, what are those?”

 

“If you can find me someone who seems allergic to have an interaction with people or just looks like who didn’t care at the world, maybe someone who looks intimidating, but not a cocky . Also, that person must be quiet, strong, courageous, observant, and compassionate person. Then hire that one.”

 

“Huh?” Jennie got dumbfounded. “What kind of conditions are that?”

 

Minjeong explained. “Well, first of all, I don’t want someone who is too nosy or keeps invading my personal space while I’m doing my own thing because I need to protect my own identity. I don’t want many people to know that I’m Winter. Next, I don’t want someone who talks a lot and follows me all the time because, you know me, I prefer reading and writing in a quiet place alone. And lastly, I don’t want someone who worries too much that keeps on asking me about what I need or what I want every minute. I’m just paraplegic. I can still do few things on my own because I still have two well-functioning arms.”

 

“Fair point,” Jennie nodded. “But are you sure that you really wanted to have a personal assistant this time? Because honestly, it’s okay if you don’t, I don’t want you to feel uncomfortable.”

 

“I’m hundred percent sure. Just make sure you hire someone that can meet my terms and conditions and everything else will be smooth sailing,” Minjeong smiled.

 

“Alright then,” Jennie smiled back as she continued typing on her phone. “I will also take note of that and I will do some calls later to find you a new personal assistant in Sokcho but right now we really need to go.”

 

“Okay. Let’s go,” Minjeong used the controller in her wheelchair to move as they made their exit to the archway when they passed by a beautiful blonde woman in her thirties whom Jennie locked eyes with as she trailed her sight to follow where the blonde lady was going – it went inside the high-ceiling room where they also came from as they kept going their way at the hallway. “Unnie, stop gawking too much when you see a pretty lady. You’re too obvious,” Minjeong called her older cousin out.

 

Caught red-handed, Jennie nervously chuckled. “Wha– What are you saying? I don’t know what you’re even talking about.”

 

“Stop denying. I just caught you,” Minjeong smirked. “That gorgeous woman is Director Park’s daughter, and she already has her own family so stop whatever you’re thinking right now.”

 

“I’m not,” Jennie shook her head in amusement. “I’m just appreciating the beauty of women because everyone is beautiful in their own unique way. And also, I’m not interested in dating anyone again yet. I’ll just love myself and I think it’s a lot better.”

 

“If I’m going to be honest with you unnie, sometimes I think that one of the reasons why you keep insisting to stay with me in Sokcho because you still wanted to see your ex, or perhaps, you’re curious about how she’s doing right now after you guys broke up.”

 

“What? Who? Lisa?” Jennie nervously laughed, scratching her cheeks. “Well, Of course,” she shyly admitted. “I mean, there’s nothing wrong to think about her sometimes, right? I’m just curious because we’re still friends… I guess.”

 

“Busted,” Minjeong teased.

 

They eventually reached their black van in the parking lot where Minjeong pressed the ramp button on her key fob where the passenger side sliding door of the van automatically opened on its own as the accessible in-floor ramp slowly stuck out to the ground in which Minjeong went in as she transferred herself to her customized comfortable passenger car seat with armrest inside.

 

“By the way, I need to go back inside. I really need to pee. I can’t take it anymore,” Jennie told her.

 

Minjeong chuckled. “Okay. I’ll just wait here. I’ll answer some e-mails.”

 

“I’ll be quick,” Jennie closed the passenger door as she quickly made her way back to the art gallery and used the comfort room. After doing her thing, she was taking her time walking at the hallway on her way back to the parking lot while drying her hands with a paper towel; when suddenly, a gust wind blew her face, causing her to quickly look up and searched for its source, looking over her shoulders where she realized she was passed by a woman who was running her way towards the high-ceiling room. She wasn’t able to see her face but only her black hair and back features. “That was close. I thought she’ll bump me. Young adult people nowadays have lots of energy. I can’t keep up.” Jennie chuckled.

 

Her phone suddenly vibrated on her pocket where she looked at the screen and she saw Minjeong was calling her. “Yes Min? What’s up?” she asked.

 

“Nothing. What’s taking you taking so long? Wait. Don’t tell me, you didn’t actually pee but instead you went to the high-ceiling room and introduce yourself to Director Park’s daughter? Unnie, I’m telling you, she’s married and has a child,” Minjeong warned.

 

“What? Of course not! In fact, I passed by another woman who was running towards the high-ceiling room. She seems in a hurry, and I got to say that she smells really nice though,” Jennie chuckled. “Although I don’t even saw her face, but I guess she’s around your age based on her built.”

 

“Oh.”

 

“Why? What’s wrong?”

 

Dwelling in temporary silence, Minjeong suddenly felt different, causing the older girl to mystify. “Minjeong? Is there something wrong?” she asked again.

 

Minjeong believed that she could be the mysterious lady who left her scarf whom Director Park was talking about earlier because the latter left in such a hurry, and now she’s coming back in the same manner to retrieve her scarf. Part of her wanted to go back inside and meet the mysterious lady who badly wanted to see the painting that she cherished for years; but part of her also didn’t want to, because she didn’t want to be disappointed again from her expectations. Maybe it’s just an art enthusiast who delighted herself from solving mysteries from the painting, or it could be anything else, she believed, as she decided to just shrugged it off. “No… it’s nothing,” she chuckled quietly. “Let’s just leave. We’re going to be late.”

 

“Wait. Are you sure?” Jennie got skeptical.

 

Minjeong gave a straightforward answer. “Yes.”

 

Jennie wanted to ask more about it but she decided to leave it as it was, because even she pushed her cousin to talk more about it, it would be just a waste of time for Minjeong was a very reserved person. “Okay. But are you really sure?” the older girl asked one last time.

 

“Yes, I am sure. It’s nothing,” Minjeong faked her confidence. “Let’s just go. Where are you now?”

 

 

“I’m here. Where are you?” Jimin answered as her eyes moved around as soon as she stepped inside the convenience store, where eventually she saw Yeji sitting at one of the tables by the glass window, waving at her as they both ended the call. The raven girl walked towards her and sat across her. “Hey, I’m sorry if I took so long. I didn’t expect how bad the traffic here even it’s not rush hour.”

 

Yeji chuckled. “Welcome to Seoul, my friend.”

 

“Friend? So, we’re friends now even we just know each other less than a day? You’re not scared of me anymore?” Jimin gave a smug look.

 

“Who told you I’m scared of you in the first place?” Yeji smirked as she bantered. “I got to admit that you seemed unapproachable at first because your presence is really intimidating, but even though we just only spent a bit time together, I can sense deep inside of you that you are a kind and caring person because you didn’t abandon my drunk self at the bus station earlier,” she prompted. “But if you still don’t want us to be friends then I’ll take it back.”

 

“The last friend I made is Ningning and we became friends since few years ago. So, it’s been a long time since the last time and I’m not used to make new friends. So, don’t take it back and just let it be,” Jimin said casually.

 

Yeji chuckled, understanding what the raven girl meant – which meant that they’re now friends. Jimin was the type of person who wouldn’t say what she wanted to say directly, but you can saw it in her actions, and even though she didn’t say it head on, you could easily read her between the lines. “Anyway, what happened earlier? Did you get your scarf back?” she asked, changing the subject.

 

“Yeah. When I got there, I didn’t see the director of the art gallery in the high-ceiling room but I saw her daughter instead, and she told me where his office was so I went there and retrieved my scarf. And while I’m on my way here, I got stuck in bad traffic but here I am now.”

 

“That scarf must be really important to you then, huh?” Yeji remarked.

 

“Yeah. It’s the only thing that someone gave me that constantly reminds me to live and continue on with this life after everything that happened before where I lost both of my parents.”

 

“I’m sorry,” Yeji felt bad where prying was never really a thing for her so she left the conversation as it was.

 

“It’s fine,” Jimin smiled.

 

“You smiled. That’s new. Now you look less scary,” Yeji teased which made Jimin chuckled. “Moving on, let’s go talk about the agenda for today. But before I tell you the plan, I bought you this sandwich and juice because I bet you didn’t eat anything yet. I already ate and drank mine while waiting for you,” Yeji handed it out to her.

 

“Thank you so much. You’re a lifesaver,” Jimin accepted it as she immediately took a quick big bite – just hungry was an understatement. She needed to be wise in spending her money because she only had enough for her so she’s really grateful for the free food.

 

“Don’t mention it. It’s actually a buy one, take one promo so technically, that’s free. And just take it as a thank you gift for dragging my sleepy and heavy with you at the bus station,” Yeji laughed at herself. “Anyway, according to my co-fandom friends who are at the event right now, Winter will arrive in any moment. So, to save us some time, I will tell you the plan while you’re eating,” Yeji pulled out a plastic bag from her bag, and picked up the small toolbox that she brought with her on the floor, as she placed it on the table. “This is the plan,” she said in confidence.

 

Raising an eyebrow in deep confusion, Jimin put down her sandwich on the table for a while as she checked the contents of the plastic bag – a black utility jacket, fingerless gloves, face mask, and a cap. “Am I supposed to wear this?” she asked.

 

“Yes,” Yeji nodded. “The plan is you need to pretend that you’re a part of their staff, specifically, a utility staff, at the event so you need to wear one. They are asking for some I.D. in all entrances but I can’t make you one because I don’t have enough time and I don’t know what their I.D. looks like, but I already figured out a way where you can get in without the security asking for your I.D.”

 

“Really? Where?”

 

Yeji smirked. “The reason why I asked you to meet up here is because, can you see this building over there?” she pointed at the huge high-rise building just across the street from the convenience store where they’re currently at, where Jimin trailed her sight to follow what she referring to, nodding in response. “This is the building where the event will take place in a huge conference hall at the fourth floor. And beside that building, can you see that narrow alleyway? You need to pass through that because there’s actually a door there for authorized personnel only leading to the basement parking. That’s where you will enter. Don’t worry about the security. They won’t call you out because that’s where the maintenance and utility workers of this building usually enter, so you need to wear one and pretend like one.”

 

“Oh. Okay. What’s next?”

 

“Inside that door, you can only see huge pipes, valves, and some sort. You need go down using the spiral staircase and there you can find another door so you will just proceed. After you exit, you will now be in the first-floor basement parking. There’s an elevator in the basement parking that has an access to all the floors of the building, but it’s much safer if you will take the emergency exit stairs instead because there are CCTVs installed in all elevators. Then just go make your way up to the fourth floor because there is where the conference hall is located,” Yeji took a deep breath as she continued speaking in a more serious tone. “Okay now, listen up because this is the part where you should be extremely careful.”

 

Jimin sensed the gravity of the situation so she paid close attention. “Okay. Carry on.”

 

“As you already know, Winter is a very mysterious and a famous faceless writer. Not even a single loyal fan of hers knows what she really looks like. That’s why every time she has a fan gathering or book launching event, she always has the same set of trusted security and staffs over these years, which means they probably know what she looks like but because of confidentiality, they won’t disclose it to the public. So those people probably know each other as well, which means they could easily spot if someone was pretending to be a part of them. Well actually, some crazy fans already did that before because they really wanted to see Winter’s face but all of it failed and all of them even get arrested for it so it’s really dangerous,” Yeji emphasized. “I mean, it’s really dangerous.”

 

“I see,” Jimin lingered in silence, thinking about the possibilities and the consequences of her actions.

 

“What I can suggest is you should never talk to anyone and never make an eye contact once you’re inside that building, but don’t get too obvious. And when you are inside the event, just stay at the back or somewhere with no people that much around,” Yeji sighed heavily. “And if it goes wrong, I guess you should run for your life and try not to get caught and arrested. There’s not even a single attempt ever succeeded so most likely, the same thing might happen to you.”

 

Jimin just nodded quietly, as she turned her sight to the building across the street, deep in her thoughts.

 

“I’m not going to lie but I’m actually worried for you,” Yeji admitted.

 

“Don’t worry. If ever I get caught, I won’t tell them that you are part of it. It’s all on me. You did enough to help me,” Jimin guaranteed.

 

“Well, if ever you really get caught, I will bail you out, but you should still pay me in return because I am a nice person in general unlike you who is also nice but very selective of people you should be kind to,” Yeji sarcastically bantered.

 

Jimin laughed. “Thank you so much, Yeji.”

 

“No worries, buddy. And now you’re laughing, that’s rare,” Yeji grinned which made Jimin shook her head lightly. “But I hope you don’t mind if I ask, but why do you want to see Winter so badly? I mean, why are you willing to take the risk of getting caught and potentially go to jail just to see her?” she asked.

 

Jimin cleared . “I’m sorry. I can’t really tell you right now because I think it’s important for Winter that’s why I need to see her personally. If ever I’m successful with this, I will also tell you.”

 

“Alright. I’m looking forward to it,” Yeji smiled. “Good luck to you and your dangerous endeavor! I need to go back to the event so I can find a better seat,” Yeji stood up and gave Jimin a quick pat on the arms. “Just let me know if you need help or something later, I will see what I can do for you. Take care Jimin!”

 

“Take care Yeji. Thanks again.”

 

As soon as her new friend left her, Jimin freed a sigh as she starting to get anxious – her palms were starting to sweat and her legs were getting shaky – but she was doing everything she could to calm herself by breathing in and out for few times. Who would have thought that she would do such a risky and dangerous thing just for this one woman whom she never even met before? Jimin looked at the clock on the wall, she still had time to change her mind to stop whatever this ridiculous thing that she was doing, and just go back to her friends in her hometown in Mokpo. But she didn’t want to waste all the time and energy that she already spent just to be where she was right now. It’s now or never.

 

Driven by no hesitation, Jimin finished eating her sandwich and drank her juice in one go. She geared up as she tied her hair up and wore everything inside the plastic bag, as she packed up her things, holding the small toolbox on the other hand, she quickly exited the convenience store and carefully cross the street. As soon as she set her sight to the narrow alleyway beside the building, she whispered to herself.

 

“This is it. Are you ready?”

 

 

“I’m ready,” Minjeong answered her cousin where her voice echoed throughout the whole first-floor basement parking.

 

Jennie parked their black van beside the pickup truck – as per what she instructed to the driver earlier while she was still on the plane back to Seoul – that was stuffed with Minjeong’s belongings inside the back of it from her mansion in Gangnam, and it was covered by a roll-up soft tonneau.

 

“Great! Are you sure you want to go up alone first in your waiting room at the third floor? I can call a security to you there if you want to,” Jennie asked her with one phone on her ear – she was trying to call the driver of the pickup truck to inform him that they arrived.

 

“You don’t need to. Plus, it will just gain unnecessary attention from people and I don’t want it,” Minjeong smiled.

 

“Alright then. I will just check your stuff here in this pickup truck and then I will talk to the driver just for few instructions before I let him go to Sokcho. I’ll see you upstairs in a while,” Jennie smiled back.

 

“Okay. Thank you unnie.”

 

Minjeong left as she controlled her wheelchair to go to the elevator section, and as she waited for the lift, she was having regrets of not meeting the mysterious lady at the art gallery, wondering if she would ever have a chance to talk with her again; and if ever she would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter