Lee Rang's Second Chance

Defend the Past

"What- where am I?" Lee Rang stated as he stood up from the couch rubbing his head.

"Welcome back" Lee Rang turned his head and witnessed Granny Taluipa leaning back on her chair carrying a smirk.

"Aish. What do you want?" Lee Rang questioned, still rubbing his head.

"Yah! I am helping you get another chance to fix your sins as I did for your brother, so be careful how you talk!" Granny Taluipa hit her fist on the table with narrowed brows to which Lee Rang rolled his eyes in response, "I didn't ask you to do that. I was fine"

"This crazy punk so ungrateful, I knew we should have let him rot in hell"

"Honey you are being too harsh, give him a chance. We know you haven't been doing well in the afterlife that is why we want to help you." Lee Rang looked towards Hyun Ui-ong emerging from the other room with a smile on his face.

Lee Rang faced the floor, interlacing his hands "How is Lee Yeon?" was the only thing Lee Rang could say as his vision continued fixed on the floor.

"See for yourself" Granny Taluipa answered as she the TV and played a video. Lee Rang lifted his head to see Lee Yeon playing with a little boy as he pulled Ji Ah into a hug causing Lee Rang to smile "What not going to show me live footage?"

"This is a recent video that Lee Yeon sent to me when their baby boy was born. You really think I will waste my powers to show you live footage?" Lee Rang rolled his eyes again at Granny Taluipa's comment.

"Honey, come on now" hearing this from her husband, Granny Taluipa takes a deep breath and looks away as she continues to talk "Your sacrifice did not go to waste, you gave your brother the happiness he has been searching for years. Because of this, we want to give you a chance to save yourself from going to hell"

Taking a deep breath Lee Rang claps his hands together, standing up he walks up to Granny Taluipa "So what will I need to do to not go to hell?"

"Sit" Granny Taluipa instructed as she pointed at the chair in front of her, Lee Rang quickly sat on the chair, a big smile never leaving his lips.

"Wah, that's all? Now I won't be sent to hell? If it was that easy I would have done far worse an-" as Lee Rang falls into his childish imagination Granny Taluipa gets up and hits his head with a scroll and sits back on the chair.

"You little brat. No, what you have to do is be a guardian for a human. In a time before the one, Lee Yeon now lives in, a decade back."

"What? Guardian? I really don't want to" Lee Rang scoffed at his task only to look back at Granny Taluipa as she hit her palm flat on the table "you don't have much of a choice! So stop whining!"

"Whatever" Ignoring Lee Rang's comment Hyun Ui-ong sat on the chair next to him "if you are successful in this task, your debt from the past life will be paid off and you won't be sent to hell"

"Anything else besides babysitting?" Lee Rang questioned but leaned back in his chair as he saw Granny Taluipa throw him a death glare.

"Aish! Fine, I will do it! Just stop looking at me like that!" Lee Rang tossed his hands in the air avoiding the death glare.

"Good. The human's name is Chu Ga Eul. She is an innocent girl working at a porridge house with her best friend, but soon events will become very difficult for her, and due to a bad decision, she will die from a crash. Your job is to protect her from dying and guide her to the right path."

"What are we social workers to now?" Lee Rang interrupted Granny Taluipa which in response he got silent. He grabbed the nearest empty piece of paper and crumpled it into a ball and began tossing it around "okay, so what are the rules and why am I the one who has to do this?"

"The second question we can't answer for you. The rules are you can't learn about her past life and after you are successful in keeping her alive, you will return to the afterlife and will not be sent to hell. Are we clear?" Granny Taluipa extended her hand to make a deal to which Lee Rang smiled and tossed her the paper ball, which she caught effortlessly causing Lee Rang to smile wider "yeah we are clear."


PREVIEW OF NEXT CHAPTER:

Yi Jung flashes Ga Eul a charming smile and looks up to her as he places her cup of tea in front of her on the table. "Hey calm down. It`s scary to see such a cute lady angry."

"Huh!" Ga Eul rolls her eyes and shifts her sight for a second away from Yi Jung and then back. "You think that if you make that weasel-like face, that everyone`s going to fall for it, you tried it on the wrong person. I`ll pretend I didn't hear anything today, ok then" Ga Eul gets up and begins to leave the living room. Her steps pause and she returns to Yi Jung. She picks up the cup of tea that was prepared for her and drinks it, finishing her tea in one sip, she places the cup back on the table, "...it makes me angrier the more I think about it..."

Lee Rang raises his brows and presses his lips together, "she sure is a strong one why would I need to protect her?" With that Ga Eul marches away from Yi Jung and finding the door, quickly walks out. Yi Jung sits in place and can only smile at Ga Eul`s behavior.