CHAPTER 03: A WHOLE NEW WORLD

My Destined Goddess

 

 

[Rein’s POV]

 

*rumbles*

 

My stomach is having a little concert inside now and I can say that I am hungry after all that I have done so far. I don’t know what is wrong or how ended up with those weird guys and remembering that irritating beauty is not helping me at all.

 

I have been walking a lot already and I swear I hate the fact that I am wearing high heels in the middle of the forest! I don’t usually wear such heels since I prefer something more comfortable but just because I want to impress in that last meeting and since that was such a formal set-up, I am now in heels and a blazer.

 

Though I must admit that I somehow did an “achievement unlocked” and I don't remember how I managed to run down that freaking burning pagoda in this outfit.

 

“Arrrgh! To heck with it!”

 

I can’t take it anymore. I took off my heels and I just let myself walk barefoot. This feels better and well, my feet have all those blisters all over thanks to my heels anyway.


 

After walking around more, I finally reached the city and finally! I can eat! Good thing I have some cash in me right now since I am starving and I seem to be in a very busy province. This looks like those places you usually just see in a historical drama on TV. They are all wearing traditional clothes. Maybe they have a festival here that's why everyone wears this. If only I knew, I would have bought my kimono with me since everyone just looks at me weirdly like -- yeah, sorry about not getting the memo on the dress code though! Geez! Why are they all so cruel to such a beautiful la -- wait…

 

I was drawn with the smell of -- is that -- DRIED SQUID!!!

 

I was starving and decided to just go to the stall and order some squid.

 

I mean, I know that I am very fashionably amazing and beautiful and stunning and all that but, why is this guy looking at me weirdly from head to toe? If only Sato nee was here, I could’ve asked her what this guy is most probably thinking since she has that weird psychological way of determining what a person somehow thinks of. Now that I thought about it, where is Yuki and Sato anyway?

 

Erase all that. I will start to think better once my tumtum is filled.

 

“How much for a stick?” I used my most charming smile as I asked for the price of these delicious and scrumptious-looking squids.

 

“1 bronze coin each.” The guy said while still looking at me weirdly. Like seriously, this is freaking me out since everyone that passes by me just whispers around. These weird people with no fashion sense.

 

Like what is with the overly white foundation and that powder number that is too light for her skin tone! The other one even has her lipstick all over! The nerve to talk about me being weird when they are the ones who clearly forgot to subscribe to the latest fashion trends. Dear me.

 

Wait a sec…

 

“1… bronze coin?” I asked in disbelief and I opened my wallet and found some coins and handed it to him.

 

“Is this enough?” I said as he then gave me that look again. I am seriously angry and hungry and tired and HANGRY!

 

“Not sure where you got this but, this is not accepted. Now if you don’t have money, just go and bother someone else.” He said as he shooed me away.

 

“Aish! What’s wrong with these people!” I irritatedly said as I went to different food stalls and I only got the same response! I even offered my atm and my credit card and all my bills but they all just scoffed at me and they all just laughed!

 

“I AM SOOOO HUNGRY!!!!!” I said and took a deep breath as I went into a restaurant and asked for some water. I don’t care what happens anymore since my rumbling stomach is my biggest problem now. If they don’t accept my payment, I will give them my watch or any accessory I have here with me or maybe I can just wash the dishes in return.

 

I ordered quite a lot since I am hungry and ate them all in a flash. The server was reluctant but hey, I am still a customer so they did serve the food but I see that they are all still looking at me with that gaze. I am slowly getting used to it but it makes me sort of conscious to eat with that.

 

Also, I notice that there is this one who has been following me for quite a while now. I thought it was just my paranoia since I am hungry but now that I am full, and my senses are back in full form, I am sure that I have a stalker. I have to be careful since I don’t know when this guy will strike.

 

I took out my phone to check if I have a signal in this place, but there is still none. I still tried to send a message to Sato and Yuki but of course, without the signal, I know that it is quite impossible.

 

I suddenly realized that I was stupid to not take a picture of the food before eating since I was very hungry.

 

The server went to me with a list of everything I ordered and how much it all costs and it said 15 silver taels. Is that much?

 

I took my wallet out and the server was just shocked as he looked at me opening my bag’s zipper. Funny because it looks like it is his first time seeing a zipper in his life as he jolted slightly as I opened it and took out my coins.

 

He took a coin and inspected it. I can’t believe he even bit it or something as if it is the first time he saw one. Even the customers from the nearby tables are surprised at what they see.

 

What? Do I look like Doraemon with magical things inside her magical bag? Geez. Are they so isolated in life that they don’t know these things?

 

“Those are real you know,” I said as the server looked at them and then to me and seemed confused.

 

“I don’t think that this is a fake miss, but we cannot accept them. Since we cannot trade these coins here. They look foreign.” The servant answered and I just lost it.

 

“What do you mean foreign? May I know what this place is?” I asked and I seriously cannot believe this. Is this guy telling me that I am not in Japan?

 

“Oh! This is the Southern Province of Awaji.” The servant answered but still gave me a confused face.

 

“A… Awaji? What year is it now?” I then asked again.

 

“Y… Year? What do you mean? It is the year of the Emperor Inoo” He asked me and I just snapped.


 

“Look, you ate quite a lot and you need to pay us with money that we can accept. If you don’t have money, then you shouldn’t have eaten! I will call someone to arrest you.” The servant was about to go when I tried to hold on to his sleeve.

 

“The young maiden is with me. Here are the 15 Silver Taels for what she ate.” A tall and good-looking guy butted in. He has a sword around his waist and I was flustered for a moment like, is he going to buy me and sell me off?! I don’t want that!

 

He then looked at me and gave me a gentle smile and I can tell you that he was just so charming and that I was just smitten with it. His slightly tanned complexion and the bandages showing just above his wrist make me think that he must be a warrior in this time. The servant also seemed to recognize him as he bowed immediately and went back to the cashier.

 

“Please don’t be scared milady. I am Fujigaya Taisuke. Please allow me to assist you to the palace.” So that is his name after all. Cool name. Suits him. Plus, he helped me.

 

“May I know why you were following me for a while now?” I asked and I saw that he was startled for a while there. Looks like I am right that he is the one who has been following me.

 

“I was asked to make sure that you were safe. I apologize for not showing up sooner. I had to verify some things.” He then bowed to me and I can tell that he is sincere.

“Where are you taking me again?” I asked as he smiled and looked at me.

 

“Milord will have to give his gratitude in person. I can tell that you have no place to go. I can assure you that no harm will come your way milady.”

 

He then turned his back to me and kneeled.

 

“That did not answer my question you know. And what are you doing?” I asked as I was confused at his actions.

 

“Your feet are wounded. I cannot let milady walk any further with such injuries. If you may, I would like to ask for your permission to use my back as your temporary vessel. Once we reach the palace, will your injuries be treated accordingly.” He said in a very chivalric tone and how can I say no to such a gentleman.

 

“Fukuyama Rein.” I said shyly.

 

“Pardon? Milady?” He was surprised at my response.

 

“My name… is Fukuyama Rein. No need for formalities. Just call me Rein.” I said as I have no choice but to accept his offer and I then rode his back. I just got a free piggyback from such a handsome guy. Scratch all those unfortunate events. I am lucky! Hah!

 

“That will be so bold of me already milady. Please hold on tight.” He said as he started walking his way to the castle.

 

I might just be able to get answers there…

I thought as I fell asleep with all the exhaustion and for being full-on those delicious foods.

 

[End of Rein’s POV]

 

===========

 

[Western Kingdom]

 

“Your highness! The royal physician just finished checking on our guest and she said that she will recover soon, and her vitals are getting better.” The Emperor’s bodyguard, Nakajima Yuto, reported the progress of their poisoned guest.

 

Yabu Kota, the young emperor of Western Kingdom, looked at his bodyguard with his usual gentle eyes as he laid down the scroll he was reading.

 

“When will she wake up?” Kota asked as he fixed several scrolls and reports on his table.

 

“The royal physician said she might wake up today. But of course, we have no assurance on this.” Yuto said as he waited by the door and observes his master’s gestures.

 

“The poison?” Kota inquired as he took a sip of his tea after he finished on his scrolls.

 

“It was from the blade of the assassin she had a close combat with,” Yuto said as Kota’s eyes squinted a bit.

 

“Any information about her already?” Yabu asked as he then started walking out of his chamber with Yuto following closely.

 

“Nothing about her, my apologies for your highness.” Yuto bowed as he was not able to answer his master’s inquiry. He received orders to get to know any and all the information about the woman who brazenly lunged over the emperor to save him from a poisoned arrow.

 

“I expected that Yuto. Let’s go to our Shaman. She might have an idea about our guest.” Kota looked at Yuto with a smile as they went to the palace’s shrine to greet the head Shaman and pay them a visit.

 

==========

 

[Northern Shrine: Echigo Province]

 

Yuki assisted the old woman to the Northern Shrine. She found out along the way that she is indeed in the past and that explains why the people find her to be dressing in a peculiar manner.

 

As they reached the temple, she saw a big statue of turquoise surrounded by a serpent. This caught Yuki by surprise since this statue is one she is very familiar with since it has been her family’s emblem.

 

She then looked around and sensed a strange feeling of familiarity and nostalgia.

 

“Ah! Were you startled?” An old Shrine Maiden said as she welcomed them both.

 

“Sakura Sama, I brought this kind lady who helped me a while ago in the city. She escorted me here and she said that she is looking for a shrine.”

 

Yuki was surprised at how the old lady she escorted addressed the Chief Shrine Maiden. She got ahold of herself and bowed to show respect.

 

The rest of the shrine maidens went to them as well as some of those who were slightly older cannot help but gasp in disbelief as they saw Yuki’s face and they then turned to look at their chief maiden.

 

“Anoo… please treat her. She had a seizure a while ago in the city and it is usually triggered by fever and high temperature. She will be better if she takes a cool bath or if we could apply ice on her.” Yuki calmly said as the other shrine maidens looked at each other confusedly.

 

“May I know your name, my dear?” The head maiden said as she fondly held Yuki’s hand.

 

“I am Sakura Yuki desu.” Yuki said shyly as she bowed to them which made all the other shrine maiden’s look even more surprised.

 

“Nice to meet you, Yuki. I am Sakura Fuyuki.” The old lady smiled as she hugged Yuki and this surprised the young lady.

 

“I have been waiting for you for quite a while my dear. Come on in.” She said as she assisted Yuki inside the temple.