CHAPTER 01: NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM

My Destined Goddess

 

The warm rays of sunlight basking on my face as they passed through the leaves of the luscious summer trees, paired with the beautiful melody and chirping of birds are the perfect formula to collect and arrange thoughts and --

 

“Oy!!! Sato Chan!!!!” Her thoughts and sightseeing is disturbed as she hears her friend’s ever-cheerful voice waking up her senses. She looks to her back to see her friend hopping her way up the stone stairs to reach her. Her friend’s long, ruffled hair bounces at her every hop which was in complete contrast to her formal blazer and pants outfit.

 

“How was your meeting Rein Chan?” Sugimoto Satomi, or “Sato”, as her dear friends address her, greets Fukuyama Rein.

 

“What makes you think I just got off a meeting?” Rein has her cute yet confused face on as she looks surprised at Satomi’s greeting.

 

“Because you are wearing something decent.” A calm and nonchalant voice sounded from behind them as they saw an innocent-looking face from their friend, Sakura Yuki.

 

“Oy Yuki Chan! I always wear something fabulous! I am a Fashion Blogger after all you know. So, why do we have to stop over here at the temple first ne Yuki?” Rein asked as she reached the last level of the stairs and is now standing beside her other friends.

 

“Grandma says she made some gifts for us. She insists that we have it.” Yuki briefly explained as they went further in the temple where her family lives. Yuki’s family has been serving the shrine for generations to keep.

 

“Ah my dear girls! I am so glad you are here. Sorry to make you come.” Yuki’s grandmother said as she walked towards the girls with some boxes of trinkets on her hands”

 

“Grandma, no need to apologize when we are here to have gifts!” Rein said with a big smile as she held grandma’s hands.

 

“We are always happy to see you, grandma, so no need to apologize,” Satomi said with a warm smile as she bows at grandma as well.

 

Grandma then opens a box with a pair of earrings designed as a wing. The half on one and the other half on the other. She then went to Rein and wore it on her.

 

She then opens another box with a simple ring adorned with a simple design of blowing wind. She then took Satomi’s hand and slid it on her long, beautiful fingers.

 

The last box she opened was a bracelet with cute turtle-like designs on it. She then took it and wore it on Yuki’s right wrist.

 

“ I do hope you like these accessories I got you girls. And I have a favor, please don't take them off. Whatever happens ok. This will be your lucky charm for the year.” Grandma smiled and made a pinky swear with the girls.

 

“Well, we have a pinky swear now so there is no turning out.” Rein then laughs as the girls start to head out to the museum where they decided to hang out for the day.


 

“Remind me why we are here again today?” Rein said as she was so bored while walking inside the museum.

 

“Remember that one of the ancient artifacts that Yuki’s family has been guarding for several generations is here for a special viewing. You have always loved grandma’s homemade ramen so this is our way of enjoying the trip for her.” Satomi said as she explained it to Rein.

 

“You have your sketchpad. Why don't you try to draw things while we are walking around and maybe you can get inspiration.” Yuki suggested to Rein as she pointed out the sketchbook Rein brought with her.

 

“Brilliant idea Yuki!” Rein then started sketching some designs she can use for her future reference.

 

They then took photos together and of course, they took a photo of the prized relic that Yuki’s generation has been guarding for decades.

 

Their trip to the museum finally came to an end. The girls decided to go to their favorite Yakitori place and have a quick chat once again.

 

“You seemed to be so stressed at work Sato nee,” Yuki asked as she looked at Sato who was wearing a weary face and clearly stressed out as she enjoyed a piece of yakitori.

 

“Well, you know. All the reports, the bureaucracy, the deadlines. All I do to be a slave of the corporate world. Unfortunately, it's not what you know, but who you know.” Sato said as she ate more.

 

“Wow! You are better off as a writer Sato nee.” Rein chucked as she eats on her yakitori as well.

 

“I wanna see your designs, Rein chan. Can you show me?” Yuki curiously asked as she then looked out for the sketchbook.

“Oh! Here it --” Rein was cut off when she realized that she does not have it with her. She then ransacked on all her belongings only to realize that she forgot them somewhere.

 

“Let me guess. Forgot it in the museum?” Sato asked as she saw her friend’s reaction.

 

“You seemed to hit a spot,” Yuki remarked as she saw Rein’s reaction.

 

“But how? And where?” Rein made a thinking pose as she then looked at her friends.

 

“Most probably while picture taking,” Yuki and Sato said in synch.

 

“Back to the museum then…” Rein snickered as they made their way back to the museum.

 

The museum at night is a totally different view. It was a good thing that they were allowed by the person inside and assisted them to where she most probably forgot her sketchpad.

 

As Rein held on to her sketchpad, Yuki saw a ginormous painting of the country’s history is like a big timeline where everything is happening everywhere. In it is the illustration of the 4 deities guarding the country. From the North, East, West, and South. Yuki was mesmerized by it as the soft and subtle lights illuminated the painting. As if drawn by its beauty, she slowly held her hands out and was reaching out to it.

 

Upon touching the painting, as if on cue, the lights went off and this startled Rein and Sato.

 

“Oy Yuki! Don’t touch that! We can't pay for it if something happens!” Rein yelled as she saw Yuki still in a trance while still touching the painting.

 

Soft faint lights are now slowly emitted by the painting and Yuki seems to be engulfed by it.

 

“No! Yuki!” Sato then held Yuki and Rein held on to them as well.

 

The next thing they knew…

 

They are not where they used to be...