What happened?

What happened?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hey look, it's Yuri."

With just the mere sound of her name, my heart would scream in excitement. But every time I looked up and failed to catch her eyes, it would cry in defeat. Especially when her eyes were always solely focused on her boyfriend who walked beside her.

I shrugged,

"Yeah, so?" I asked Chaewon, turning my attention back down at the menu in my hands.

"Aren't you guys like best friends? Why don't you say hi?" She asked, eyeing the menu in front of her while also observing my expression suspiciously. I fidgeted where I sat in discomfort. The question irked me. It had the annoyance slithering in my veins. That question made me burn in anger and frustration. Why? Because I found myself asking that same damn question every single day. We've been best of friends since I could remember. We were inseparable. But one met a man who became her world, while the other you ask? Well, the other is watching from the sidelines, wondering if it would ever be her turn to be loved by her. Oh, the distress of unrequited love. How typical.

I shrugged once more and looked back up to meet her gaze with a small grin plastered on my lips,

"I think we are. I mean, we haven't hung out in months and we don't really text as much either so I wouldn't really call us the best of friends," I teased with my eyes wavering just slightly. It wanted to turn to the pretty brunette so bad, but I refused for my hearts sake. "Besides, I rather hang with you! Can't believe you finally decided to visit me after what, two years?"
Chaewon's eyes squinted playfully with a sheepish smile, making her cheeks puff out a little more. 

"That's an exaggeration! It was only 5 months!"

"Exactly! Which means lunch is on you, dear friend." I laughed as Chaewon gasped and stared at me as if I cut Michelle right in front of her eyes.

"But you invited me out! Doesn't that mean it's your treat?"

I hummed with pursued lips while scanning the menu again, "The steak sounds pretty promising." The corner of my lips lifted up hearing her whining in front of me. "I'm just kidding Chaewonniee, order what ever you want." She smiled at that. But, I then added, "that's under ₩10,000

"Yena!!"

I laughed even louder before reaching forward and pinching her cheek, "it's way too easy to tease you Cub. No wonder Yujin can't get enough of you, you're way too adorable."

I watched the color pink invade her cheeks in amusement as she swatted my hand off her cheek. opened, probably ready to retort, but watching as she immediately shut her lips and looked over my shoulder, an unnerving feeling grew in the pit of my stomach.

I slowly turned around and instantly wanted to dig a hole and throw myself in head first. What are the odds? Of course, the damn lifeless waitress led Yuri and her boyfriend to sit on the booth that's a table behind us. And, of course, she'd be facing me. Well, more like the back of me.

What made that strange gut feeling worse was with the way she was already staring at me. Her expression blank but her smile just as soft as her eyes. But, her smile dropped when I simply sent a curt nod and turned away from her.

Chaewon leaned forward across from me with furrowed eyebrows, "What was that? Why was that so awkward? And why are you both acting so weird? And why was she glaring at me earlier?"

I chuckled while placing a single finger on her forehead and pushing her back,

"You ask a lot of questions for a petite girl."

"There was no correlation with that statement whatsoever." Chaewon deadpanned. "But seriously, what happened between the both of you? There's like this weird tension in the air."

My grin wavered and my body stiffened. But nonetheless, I brushed off the stinging feeling and sent a playful smirk, "?" Chaewon rolled her eyes,

"No, you idiot. It's like theres a storm cloud just above both of your guys heads." My body must've given away my discomfort because worry invaded her eyes. I had to look away or else she'd see the truth in them. But, I then felt a soft hand cover my own over the table. I lifted my head and met her eyes, only wanting to look back down and hide forever.

"What happened when I left Yena?" She asked. And after a heartbeat, I exhaled a shaky breath and forced out a grin,

"Everything," I replied in a low like whisper. I felt like that simple word took out all the air in my lungs. And that burning sensation increased when I felt those eyes burning the back of my head, as if waiting for me to look at them again.  "C-Can we get out of here. I-I just—." Chaewon squeezed my hand and smiled reassuringly,

"Sure. I can cook up something nice for us at your place." I just nodded and stood up with her, never letting go of her hand. But, knowing we had to pass her table, I held in my breath and focused my eyes forward.

Okay, here's the plan. You're going to walk past that table and never meet her gaze. You will leave this restaurant with your head held high. Confidence is key. Confidence is y. You are y. Stay strong Yena.

"Yena?"

That didn't go as planned.

We stopped and looked towards the owner of the voice. And then, I met her eyes.

Those eyes stared at me with a gentle smile that had my heart shuddering and blushing. Why did she always have to look so unintentionally perfect?

Just looking at her made me miss the days when she would look at me and smile her smile whenever I said something goofy or acted silly. Or when we would simply lay on a soft blanket in the park and stare up at the clear blue sky, talking about our dreams and plans. We were always part of each other's future.

I cleared my throat after feeling a soft nudge on my side, "H-Hey Yuri." I nervously greeted. I watched her piercing gaze stare at mine and Chaewon's conjoined hands for a second before meeting mine again. Her gaze was too intense that I had to look away. She let out a breath,

"I didn't know you were back Chaewon."

"I just arrived last night! Yena invited me to go eat but this girl doesn't like anything on the menu so we're heading back to her place so I can cook something up."

"Still picky as always I see." Yuri said with a slight giggle. I chuckled and when my heart finally decided to stay cool collective, I met her eyes again,

"Well, you know me." It was casual, but her eyes weren't. I felt the air in the back of my throat hitch. There was a slight twinkle in her eyes and the corner of her pink lips lifted for a mere second. Something shifted in the air but I couldn't decipher what it was or what it meant,

"Yeah, I know you."

There was something with the way she said that, I just... I couldn't think, or breathe. The only thing I focused on was the ugly beat of my heart drumming against my chest. It vibrated in my bones and echoed in my ears.

"Hi, I'm Hyunjin. And you are?"

Oh, I almost forgot about him.

I looked away from those burning eyes and watched how Chaewon and Hyunjin shook hands,

"I'm Chaewon, nice to meet you."

Hyunjin then looked at me and sent a small nod,

"Hey Yena."

Hyunjin and I were merely acquaintances. I never had the chance to get to know him. Yuri never invited us both out at the same time. But that was just a blessing in disguise. I don't think I could handle seeing them together in front of me all the time.

I grinned and sent an awkward wave with my free hand before squeezing Chaewon's hand, trying to gesture that I desperately needed to leave. Chaewon then squeezed my hand in return. She placed her free hand over the hands that were intertwined and smiled apologetically,

"Well, we're going to head out. Have to make food that this girl actually likes." I chuckled while slowly pulling her with me to the exit,

"Yes, so if you two will excuse us, we will be taking our leave." I went to turn around till—

"Can I come over tomorrow Yena?"

I stiffened and faced her again. She was gnawing on her bottom lips and staring at me expectantly. I scratched the nape of my neck awkwardly,

"Well, I......"

.

.

.

 

"You're an idiot."

"Shut up," I muttered, shoving another spoonful of rice in my mouth. Yujin snickered but hissed as Chaewon slapped the back of her head as she passed by her. She sat herself beside Yujin and sighed,

"Don't call her an idiot. She's in love so of course she'd say yes. What else did you expect?" I rolled my eyes and swallowed the food,

"Not in love." They looked up at me and stared with raised eyebrows. I sighed and looked away with a pout, "Why couldn't I just love a damn tree?"

"That would make you a vegan." I glared at Yujin, my idiot of a roommate. She just laughed and continued to eat, "I mean, shouldn't you be happy you'll be seeing her tomorrow?" She asked. I groaned and played with the food on my plate with my fork,

"Yeah but, why now?"

Chaewon tilted her head to side and furrowed her eyebrows, "What do you mean?" I let out a breath and pushed my plate of food away. The butterflies swarming around my stomach made me suddenly lose my appetite.

"Why does she want to hang out now? She had months to come back, so why now?" I asked before puffing out air and leaning back on my chair, "I honestly don't get it." Chaewon shrugged,

"Maybe you've been on her mind too?" Ignoring the skip of my heart, I simply chuckled with a shake of a head,

"I highly doubt that," I denied. Chaewon pursed her lips,

"I mean, you didn't see her earlier Yen. She consistently sent eye daggers at me while we were at the restaurant! You never know, maybe your feelings might be reciprocated." Chaewon scoffed,

"Does she not realize that you're my girl and not this duck lik

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter