Coffee Sip in June

Coffee Sip in June
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IT must be nice having something on yourself. After being a secret of Sejeong for 6 years, she finally married a man. I knew it would come to this, the way she was avoiding the topic when I ask if we could make our relationship known results in a fight. Not like shout it to the world, but just putting limitations on the people around because we're exclusive. That never happened anyway. She was a coward. I spent 1/4 of my life with her that I forgot who I used to be.

When she left, I was a blank slate.

For a few months, I isolated myself from everyone. I wasted my breath the whole day by sitting at the corner of my bed, thinking if everything was real. It is real... and empty. Everywhere I look, I could remember her; when I open my eyes in the morning, when I eat, when I take a bath, when I walk, when I think, when I stop doing something, even when I close my eyes before I sleep. Sejeong is always in my thoughts. Isn't she tired of running on my mind the whole day?

As a manager of a known company, I had to go back to work no matter what. That became my escape, drowning myself with my tasks so I could think of anything else other than her.

"Ms. Son, overtime again?" my subordinate asked while she gathers her things.

"Yes," I simply answered.

"Geez Ms. Son, you're only 26, you should enjoy your youth more," she said. 2 years already, huh? I didn't answer back, I have no reason to.

"Bye Ms. Son. See you tomorrow!"

I heaved a sigh, resting my back on my chair. Kids these days are nosy sometimes.

"Sorry about Yeri, she's just worried about you doing overtime every day." Irene, one of the sales specialists explained. "Coffee?" she offered, putting the cup beside my monitor. It looks kind of sweet, a latte maybe. Ever since Sejeong left, I stick myself to black only. At least, I could be more bitter about myself.

Yikes, I sound pitiful.

"Thanks," but I didn't take a sip. I don't want to have any flashbacks of her tonight. Every time I do, it doesn't go well. "You're not going home yet? It's already 9. The last train will arrive soon," I questioned instead, clicking the save button for the plan of the month I was working.

"I'm just finishing something. Don't worry Ms. Son, I brought my car," Of course. Being the top salesperson every month and meeting her quota, she must have some money for her own car. Even for her wants, I guess.

Irene is often one of the employees who takes overtime along with me. I don't ask why since she looks engrossed in her monitor like the way I do. Sometimes we would go out of the office at the same time. She's always professional when working—doesn't cross the line and straight to the point when she asks. At times, her expression doesn't go with her words. I can see she wants to apprehend more, but maybe since I'm her manager she holds herself back.

"Ms. Son," I felt a tug on my shoulder, "It's already quarter to eleven, you should go home," What? Oh, I fell asleep on my desk. I checked my phone and saw a message from my driver saying he can't pick me up because my car got a flat tire. He left it on a mechanic for a change. "Did you bring your car?" I turned around to look at her and there was a worried expression plastered on her face.

"My driver can't—"

"I can drop you off." she offered, her face still the same.

"I can take a taxi. Besides, we go in a different direction." I told her, going back to my monitor to shut it down.

"Do you want to stay for the night at my place, then? Mine's closer than yours."

This isn't the first time someone offered their place to me. When my subordinates missed the last train, I offer my condo for them to stay since my conscience can't take it if they take the taxi on the way home. At least when they stay at mine, they can be safe. So it isn't a surprise that Irene knows where I live since she visited my place one time already.

I checked the time again and think, if I take a taxi, I will be home at 12. Irene said her place is near than mine, so I'll have more time to sleep if I agree.

"Okay, let's go?" I accepted.

Irene's worried expression was replaced by a smile.

The drive on the way to her home was comfortable even with the silence. Though she kept asking if the aircon is too cold to my liking or if I want to play a piece of music, she said I can connect or rummage through her phone and open her Spotify app. I realized she's single considering she doesn't mind people holding her personal things. Or maybe she just doesn't mind. Should I ask?

"You're always going home late, is your boyfriend not mad?" I tried confirming. Irene side-eyed me for a second.

"I don't have one, Ms. Son," she answered, stopping at the red light.

"Not even a bachelor suitor?" I pushed. There was a pause between our conversation, the green lit up and she continued to drive.

"I don't swing that way, Ms. Son," Irene confessed, her pointing finger begin to tap on the steering wheel.

Oh.

I didn't think she would be like that.

Damn.

"Did your perception of me changed?" Irene queried, her eyes still fixated on the road. I noticed she was biting her lower lip hard I can see a part of it going white.

"Of course not." Why would she think like that?

"You're not going to ask why or when did I know?" she continued to ask. I giggled at her question.

"Irene, I don't mind whether you swing for the other team or not. As long as you're a good person, that's what matters. Okay?" I unconsciously held her arm to reassure her and quickly removed my grasp when she stared. "Sorry, a force of a habit," I excused.

"With your lover?"

I can only mutter "An ex," remembering a certain woman.

She might have noticed the change in my reaction that she said, "Sorry, I shouldn't have asked. That was your personal life." God, she's an observant one.

"No worries, I asked first, remember?" I let out a grin so she wouldn't feel burdened. Somehow, Sejeong's face vanished away when Irene talks.

"Still..." her voice a little hoarse.

"You are a good person Irene," I complimented. She knows how to handle her words. I'm kind of envious.

It's already 11:30 when we arrived. Irene's condo is spacious, you can say she personally choose the furniture considering she likes to compliment black and white. She's so feminine I thought I could find pink but came to none. I was kind of expecting she lives with her parents but she told me she's alone. Everything I used to think about Irene seems to be the opposite. She's unpredictable.

"Coffee, tea, or water?"

"I'm okay, thanks," I told her, sitting on her leathered couch. The smell of coffee spread throughout the living room.

"Drinking coffee near midnight? Are you nocturnal?" Irene chuckled.

"I get sleepy when I drink a latte." the sound of the cup clanking while she mixes the ingredients echoed, it's too quiet in here.

"Ms. Son, I have clean towels in the bath, you can shower now."

/

After that night, Irene and I seem to be closer than my other subordinates. Still, Irene knows her limitations when talking to me. She often asks for criticisms regarding her presentations. Staying on top for months, she never let her guard down. Her oozing confidence whenever she's in front of her clients is incredible. She knows her strong points and wants to improve her weaknesses.

"Congratulations Ms. Son, your team did it again!" our director, Mr. Lee announced.

"Yeah, Ms. Son helped us a lot. She gives extra lessons when we have meetings." Yeri spoke, my team, agreeing to what she said. I felt shy all of a sudden.

"Because of this, I'm giving the team allowance for dinner tonight," Mr. Lee asked my bank details after that, transferring our allowance. The sales department roared in joy, Yeri clapping her hands with Irene.

The night came and the team decided to eat pork belly. Of course, not missing the booze bought by the guys. Everyone seems happy. If they didn't drag me here, I would still be in front of my monitor, doing overtime as usual. Baekhyun and Yeri won't stop nagging so I agreed. Seulgi, offering alcohol to me from time to time.

"Low tolerance when drinking?" Irene asked when she caught me washing my face inside the restroom. I feel dizzy. Shifting my gaze in front of the mirror, I saw Irene showing the same worried face she had before.

"I'm okay," I said, almost tripping when I pulled some tissue.

"Want me to drive you home?" she offered, holding my waist for support. Ah, the interaction is making me sad. I kept remembering Sejeong. .

"You didn't drink?"

"I didn't." was that water I saw earlier then? I thought she was enjoying the soju.

"Please, I can't drive," I said too desperately.

My driver really knows when to get his day off.

When I opened my eyes, we are already in front of my condo.

"What floor again?" Irene queried, parking her car.

"20th, room 2014," I replied. The nap on the way didn't help me t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter