Chapter 2

Be Yourself

“Hi, Kookie!” Jimin exclaimed as Jungkook opened the door.

“Hi, Jiminie! How are you?” Jungkook asked, closing the door before pecking Jimin on the lips.

“This practice was sooo tiring! We’re learning a new choreography.” Jimin said, going to sit down on a little couch.

Jungkook sat down next to his boyfriend and began to empty the plastic bag Jimin had brought with him. He took out two boxes of kebab along with one can of coke and another one of lemonade.

“Did Hoseok hyung fetch you?”

“No, Joon did. Hoseok is on a date with Yoongi.” Jimin answered.

Jungkook pouted a bit but quickly put a smile back on his face, not wanting Jimin to notice. However, Jimin caught it and took Jungkook’s hand in his.

“I’m sorry, Kookie. But you know how I feel about it.” Jimin said, kissing Jungkook.

Jungkook reciprocated the kiss and nodded when they detached, retrieving his hand.

“I know. Let’s eat.”

Jungkook and Jimin have been together for three months already but Jimin didn’t want anyone else to know other than their friends. Jimin had come to terms with his uality but he wasn’t ready to tell his family or for total strangers to see him holding Jungkook’s hand or kissing him. Jungkook had stopped caring about what people thought of him but he understood Jimin’s situation even if he wanted to freely go on dates with Jimin.

“Jungkookie, look at me.” Jimin softly said, taking Jungkook’s hand again. Jungkook looked at him, sadness evident in his eyes. “I know you want to show how happy you are to everyone, I understand this. I promise that we’ll be able to both show everyone how we make each other happy but right now, I can’t. I like our little private dates, it’s better than nothing, don’t you think?”

“You know I love spending time with you and I know you’re not yet comfortable for us to have dates outside. I’m willing to wait as much time as you need. But you need to understand that it makes me sad.”

“I know. I’m sorry.” Jimin apologised. Jungkook leaned over to kiss him.

“Don’t be. It’s okay. Now, let’s eat before it turns cold. Cold kebab is never tasty.” Jungkook said, smiling, making Jimin laugh.

They ate in a comfortable atmosphere, forgetting about everything, focusing on each other. Moments like this were the one they preferred. They were in their own world, a safe bubble which allowed them to be open, to be themselves, to shower the other with affection without having to care about judgemental gazes.

Yes, it saddened Jungkook to not be able to go out with Jimin, not because he wasn’t able to show off his boyfriend but because the latter wasn’t confident enough in himself and it made Jungkook overthink. Was Jimin not sure of his uality anymore? Was Jimin having second thoughts about them? Was Jimin unhappy with him? But every time Jungkook had those thoughts, he looked over at Jimin and his smile made him forget about those silly thoughts. Of course Jimin was happy, his eyes wouldn’t be disappearing if he wasn’t.

After three months of being together, of seeing Jimin almost every day, of spending more time with him, Jungkook could confidently say that he had fallen in love with Jimin. He wasn’t going to tell Jimin just yet, not wanting to pressure him or make him uncomfortable. He knew it would come for the other too, he just had to be patient. Usually, being patient wasn’t his forte but he could do anything for Jimin.

 

 

“Jimin-ah, I didn’t know you could get better at dancing than you already were. You improve every single day, it really is amazing.” Hoseok said as he walked Jimin to the dorms.

“Don’t say that, hyung, it’s embarrassing.” Jimin said, blushing and giggling.

“I’m being honest though!” Hoseok protested, smiling. “Is Jungkook coming to your showcase?”

“Yeah, he told me he would. He’s a bit stressed lately because he still hasn’t found a subject to submit at the end of the semester. He’s been carrying his camera everywhere in search for inspiration. Anyway, he said he’d come to take a break.” Jimin explained.

“There’s still some time left until the end of the semester, he shouldn’t stress too much. I’m sure he’ll find a subject very soon. Your showcase is in three days, right?” Hoseok asked, his smile widening, going unnoticed by Jimin who nodded.

 

Three days later, at the showcase

“Jimin still doesn’t know that he’s the subject, does he?” Yoongi asked Jungkook as they were sitting in the audience waiting for the showcase to begin.

“Nah, he’s really the sweetest though. He keeps on encouraging me when I act all down and disheartened. I hope he won’t be upset I didn’t tell him.” Jungkook said, getting slightly nervous all of a sudden.

“I’m sure he’ll love it too much to even think of being upset because you didn’t tell him. You had carte blanche about the subject right?” Jungkook nodded. “What was yours again?”

“Art in motion. Kinda cliché to be honest but I like it. Haven’t told Jimin about it either to not raise any suspicions.”

“You’re getting smarter every day, that’s impressive.” Yoongi joked, making Jungkook roll his eyes.

“Shut up or I’ll tell Hoseok hyung that every song you write is about him.” The younger threatened.

“As if he doesn’t know already.” Yoongi replied, the lights turning off. “It’s starting.”

Jungkook quickly understood that the students were performing according to their surname so Jimin was going to be one of the last. The younger had never seen Yoongi cheer as loudly as he did when Hoseok stepped on the stage an hour later, taking pictures to show them to Hoseok and remember this moment. He didn’t laugh too much though, knowing that he would be doing worse if it were an usual showcase.

When Jimin stepped on stage, he searched for Jungkook. He smiled towards him when he spotted the younger somewhere in the front row. Jungkook smiled back and Jimin took a deep breath, focusing back on his performance. The music began and Jungkook prepared his camera, ready to catch Jimin’s every movement.

It was over too soon in Jungkook’s liking but he had loved every second of it. Jimin looked so beautiful dancing, he was undoubtedly born to perform. He put his camera down and cheered as loud as he could as Jimin bowed to the audience.

“How was it Jungkookie? Did you like it?” Jimin asked as soon as he met Jungkook and Yoongi in front of the venue.

“It was awesome, hyung, you looked beautiful.” Jungkook answered, beaming at Jimin.

He wanted to kiss and hug him but refrained himself. He turned to Hoseok who was coming out of the venue as well.

“Hoseokie hyung! Your performance was so powerful!”

“You never fail to amaze me baby.” Yoongi said, kissing Hoseok on the lips.

“That’s sweet of you guys. Do you wanna go eat something out or order delivery at the dorms? I’m buying.” Hoseok suggested, looking at Jungkook and Jimin.

“Let’s eat out, hyung.” Jimin replied. “We don’t get to go out much with Jungkookie.”

“Okay, let’s go then!”

They went to a near Kimbap Heaven to eat before going back to the dorms and gathering with the others for drinks in Jimin’s room.

 

One week later

Jungkook was walking to the dancing building to fetch Jimin at the end of his class. He was a bit late so when he arrived he saw that some people were already going out but Jimin wasn’t in sight.

“Jungkook-ah!” he suddenly heard.

Jungkook got closer to a guy with short red hair that he immediately recognised.

“Yugyeom!” Jungkook exclaimed happy to see his friend. “How have you been? It’s been ages since I last saw you!” he added, hugging his friend.

“I’m sorry, I’ve been busy with family stuffs.” Yugyeom answered after they broke their embrace.

“I hope it’s all okay now.”

“Yeah, it’s all right now. What are you doing here? You’re still majoring in photography, right?” Yugyeom asked.

“Yeah, I’m just fetching a friend.” Jungkook answered. He felt uncomfortable saying ‘friend’ instead of ‘boyfriend’ but brushed the feeling away. “By the way, what happened with Jaebum hyung?” Jungkook asked.

“Oh, you still remember!” Yugyeom teased, his smile getting a bit wider. “I confessed and now we’re boyfriends.” He simply answered but Jungkook could see he was very happy and in love.

“That’s wonderful, Gyeom! I’m really happy for you.” Jungkook said, smiling to his ears.

“Jungkookie?”

Jimin was getting out of the practice room, his face a light shade of pink, wearing track clothes that were too big for him, almost making Jungkook coo.

“Jiminie hyung! I came to fetch you as a surprise.” Jungkook stated, walking to Jimin.

“That’s a great surprise, thanks.” Jimin looked at Yugyeom. “How do you know Yugyeom?”

“Oh, we went to high school together. We were classmates but we kinda lost touch when we graduated, I didn’t know he was going to the same uni as us.” Jungkook explained, motioning for Yugyeom to come closer.

“I didn’t know you were friends with Jungkook, Jimin hyung.” Yugyeom said, turning to Jungkook. “I’m sorry but I gotta go, BamBam is waiting for me. I’ll text you so we can catch up with the rest, okay?” Yugyeom stated before hugging Jungkook and going his way.

Jimin was a bit taken aback by how natural it was for Yugyeom to hug Jungkook. The latter wasn’t really the type to make a lot of skin ship usually. He figured he might be very close to Yugyeom.

“Shall we go, hyung?” Jungkook asked, taking Jimin’s bag.

Jimin decided to forget about Yugyeom and nodded, going out of the building along with Jungkook.

“How was practice?”

“It was great, a lot less intense since the showcase was last week. But now we need to prepare for the exam so the stress is slowly building up.” Jimin replied. “That reminds me! Have you found a subject?”

“I did, yes.” Jungkook answered, feeling himself blush.

“What is it?” Jimin excitedly answered.

“I can’t tell you, sorry.”

“That’s not fair!” Jimin complained, pouting. “I’m your friend, I deserve to know!”

Jungkook’s heart broke a little at those words but he knew Jimin couldn’t say ‘boyfriend’ in public in case someone heard. He still smiled though.

“I can’t tell you, I don’t wanna jinx it. No one knows but Yoongi hyung because he was actually the one to help me find the subject.” Jungkook stated, looking around to make sure no one was near and leaning to whisper in Jimin’s ear. “Now, stop pouting or we won’t be eating before long tonight.”

Jimin blushed a bit at his words before regaining his composure and smirking.

“If that’s the case, I won’t stop pouting until you act on those words, Jungkook-ah.”

 

Two weeks later

“I’m still editing the pictures, I’m not even half done yet.”

“It’s taking you longer than usually.”

Jungkook was on the phone with Yoongi, updating him about his project.

“Yeah, it’s hard to work on them since Jiminie is always around me. He’s so excited to see them, I haven’t told him yet that they might get exposed if Hwang likes them nor did I tell him about the subject.”

“You better tell him soon in case you win. You don’t wanna out him.”

“I will, don’t worry. Besides, there’s still some time left. I also want to ease him into revealing our relationship. That’s a harder task though. He’s really opposed to the idea and I need to find a way to make him comfortable so he will at least agree to talk about it.”

“Good luck with that Jungkook-ah. By the way, I heard that you met Yugyeom the other day? How is he doing?”

“Yeah! I was really happy to meet him again! He’s doing well actually. Do you remember Jaebum hyung? They got together in the end! I’m so happy for him. I met with the other guys last week; BamBam, Eunwoo, Dokyeom and the rest… It was like going back to high school, I was so happy to see them all again. We plan on meeting again soon.” Jungkook told Yoongi, a smile growing on his face as he talked about his friends.

“I’m happy for you Kook. I’m sorry, I gotta go, Seokie is calling for me. See ya later!” Yoongi said before hanging up.

Jungkook released a breath and resumed on editing Jimin’s pictures.

 

A week later, Jungkook was waiting for his friends in front of a bowling alley. He was playing a game on his phone when he spotted a pair of sneakers stopping in from of him. He looked and saw Yugyeom beaming at him.

“Hey. Why are you alone?” Jungkook asked, looking around him to trying spotting the others.

“They didn’t wanna come today. Or more like BamBam is busy, Eunwoo forgot he was working and the others just didn’t wanna come. Didn’t you check the groupchat?” Yugyeom asked.

“Nah, I never reply anyway.” Jungkook said, chuckling. “Well, it’s just a date between the two of us, then?” he joked.

“Calm down there, I have boyfriend already.” Yugyeom joked, making Jungkook laugh. He almost said that he had one too but held himself back.

Two hours later, Yugyeom was pissed and Jungkook happier than ever. As the loser, Yugyeom had had to pay for the both of them and they were now eating street food as they made their way back to the campus.

“Gyeom, I wanted to ask you something.” Jungkook said after Yugyeom was done accusing him of cheating.

“Shoot, I’ll see if I can answer you.”

“Well, there’s something very important I wanna talk about with someone but that person isn’t very enthusiastic about the subject. Do you have an idea of how I could make them comfortable enough to talk about it?” Jungkook asked, trying to stay as evasive as possible.

“That’s a very strange question. Can you tell me more about the subject or the person?”

“I’m sorry, I can’t. It’s very personal for that person and I don’t wanna hurt their feelings by telling you without their consent.” Jungkook said, apologetic.

“That’s fine. Well… I think it depends. If that person is a friend, a simple hang out like ours right now would be fine I guess. If they’re more than just a friend–” Yugyeom looked suspiciously at Jungkook, “maybe a little date would be okay.”

“Okay… I was thinking the same. It’s totally unrelated but what do you do with Jaebum hyung when you have to speak about touchy subjects?”

“We just talk it out. We sit down, talk about everything that’s bothering us and try our best to solve the issue. Usually we end up making out or having –”

“I don’t need details!” Jungkook exclaimed, punching Yugyeom on the arm while the latter laughed out loud.

“Anyway, that’s it. But we’re pretty open, we don’t really bottle our emotions or thoughts up.” Yugyeom said, Jungkook nodding in understanding. “You know, if you have someone and need to talk about it, you can trust me. I won’t tell anyone about it.”

“I know that. It’s complicated though, I don’t know if I should talk about it.”

They were now in front of Jungkook’s room.

“Let me just tell you something. If you really love that person, just tell them directly what’s bothering you, don’t hold back. You can’t keep your emotions to yourself, that’s not healthy. And if this person loves you back, they’ll understand you.” Yugyeom said, smiling softly.

“Thanks Gyeom.” Jungkook said, taking Yugyeom in his arms and hugging him tight, closing his eyes; his friend’s embrace making him relax a bit.

Then, Jimin appeared, walking up to them. The smile he was wearing immediately vanished when he realised the situation both guys were in. He frowned as he noticed Jungkook’s relaxed expression and cleared his throat.

“Jungkookie, you’re only back now?” he asked, his voice strained.

“Oh, Jimin hyung.” Jungkook said, immediately releasing Yugyeom. “I was just saying goodbye to Yugyeom.”

“See you later Kook, bye Jimin hyung.” Yugyeom said before walking away.

Jungkook smiled at Jimin and opened the door, poking Jimin’s nose as he walked past him. He went to sit down on the couch, making himself comfortable.

“It was so great to spend some time with Yugyeom. I was a bit sad that the others didn’t come but it was still a lot of fun.” He stated.

Jimin came to sit beside him, staring at him.

“You were alone with Yugyeom? What did you do?” Jimin asked.

“We played bowling and then we went to get some street food to eat while walking back here.”

Jimin nodded, trying to stay calm. He couldn’t deny he was jealous but he also couldn’t tell Jungkook. Jimin didn’t have a problem with Jungkook hanging out with his old squad but, strangely, he couldn’t bear the idea of Jungkook being only with Yugyeom. He knew Yugyeom had a boyfriend and that Jungkook was his own boyfriend but he couldn’t help it. Jimin understood that hiding their relationship wasn’t making Jungkook happy but he also couldn’t bring himself to reveal it yet. So, he tried to hold his jealousy back and replied.

“That’s cool, Jungkookie.” He said but he didn’t recognise his own voice. His tone was so cold, he didn’t intend on sounding so cold but guess jealousy got the best of him.

“Is something wrong?” Jungkook asked, noticing Jimin’s strange voice and attitude.

“Not at all. I’m fine.” Jimin replied, forcing a smile.

“Stop lying. I know you too well for you to think that you could lie to me. Tell me what’s bothering you.” Jungkook stated, leaning closer to Jimin.

To his surprise, Jimin flinched, sliding a bit away from Jungkook. The latter instantly felt tears welling up in his eyes.

“I-I’m sorry.” Jimin stuttered, his heart breaking at Jungkook’s reaction. “I didn’t mean to… I’m just– I’m jealous of your relationship with Yugyeom.”

Jungkook held his tears back, sadness being replaced with anger.

“Are you being serious now? You’re jealous? But you are my boyfriend, not Yugyeom.” Jungkook replied.

“I know, Jungkookie–”

“Clearly you don’t.” Jungkook cut. “I know I said I’d wait for you and I will but it’s very hard for me. I’m confident in myself, in my uality. It wasn’t easy but I finally got over it. It was a long journey, I forced myself to stop caring about other people’s opinion. I’m here to help you, Jimin-ah but you have to put yourself out there too.”

“I am trying! But it’s too hard–”

“It shouldn’t be!” Jungkook exclaimed, anger getting to his head. “I’m here for you, our friends are here for you! But if that’s not enough for you to stop being a coward, just tell us!”

Jungkook realised too late what he had said. He regretted it instantly but the harm was done. Jimin began to quietly cry, not believing Jungkook had said that.

“Y-you can’t– I do-don’t allow you t-to–” he tried to say, choking up on his words.

“J-Jimin…” Jungkook tried but Jimin cut him.

“G-go away. I-I don’t wanna ta-talk to you now.” Jimin sobbed.

Jungkook deeply sighed but didn’t say anything, just getting out of his own room. As he closed the door behind him, he heard Jimin whine, sounding so broken Jungkook almost went back in to hold him in his arms. But he didn’t and went to Yoongi’s room instead.

When he arrived, he hesitated. The last time they had talked, Jungkook had been so happy, he had told Yoongi that he’d soon tell Jimin about the exhibit. Jungkook didn’t know how it had all gone down so fast. He felt guilty but also relieved that he was able to get some things out of his chest. Which made him feel even more guilty. Jimin’s face was printed in his mind and he was disgusted with himself for being the one to cause the other so much pain. He didn’t mean what he said, Jimin wasn’t a coward, he was one of the strongest persons he knew. But it wasn’t the time to dwell on it. He’ll take care of Jimin the next day, try to fix everything. Finally, he knocked on the door.

He heard shuffling, groaning and the door opened. Yoongi was in his pjs, his hair dishevelled and his eyes struggling to stay open.

“Jungkook? What are you doing here?” he groggily asked.

“I ed up, hyung. I really ed up.” Jungkook said, tears streaming down his face.


Author's Note : 

Here's the second chapter !

I have to say that this story was supposed to be a one shot but I felt like writing a second chapter... which led me to write a third -_- I'm very talented at writing slowly and adding unnecessary scenes and details as you could see in this chapter so we'll see when I'll be able to finish the next one^^ 

Please leave comments if you liked it or I'll cry T_T