we're just pretending pt. 2

jinlia anthology; one-shot collection


Lia leads them into Chaeryeong's penthouse, she should've guessed it wasn't going to be small. Not when it's Yeji and Chaeryeong throwing it together. Ryujin's hand feels small in Lia's, she doesn't put much of a fight when she drags her past the full living room.

And when they put their jackets away, Lia takes her hand again, letting their finger intertwine. Ryujin doesn't notice but there's a smile face that forms when she looks at their hands.

"You guys made it!" Chaeryeong yells over the music, the kitchen isn't as packed as the living room but with the amount of empty shot glasses around, Ryujin knows this wasn't always the case.

"Ryujin couldn't find her socks." Lia teases. Making the younger puff up her cheeks.

"You moved everything around." At least Ryujin knows this isn't a lie.

"You guys are already gross?" Chaeryeong fakes gagging which Lia rolls her eyes at.

"Ryujin you have some catching up to do."

"Huh?" Before Ryujin could wrap her mind around it, she found herself taking a shot and shivering at the bitter taste.

"I'm going to go look for Yuna and Yeojin" Lia leans down and whispers. Ryujin feels her face heat up at the sudden closeness.

"You two, don't get her too drunk," Lia warns and it feels so real. Everything she does feels like it's normal like this isn't just pretending. Lia squeezed her hand before letting it go, the cold taking over.

Ryujin's disappointed that she's gone.

"Come on Ryujin , you have at least three more to go!" Yeji yells out and Ryujin pushes her confusing feelings down.

 

It's a fake relationship, Ryujin.

 

"Okay, I think I should slow down" Ryujin speaks slowly. Chaeryeong and Yeji whine.

"The holidays are about drinking."

"I thought it was about family?" Yeji giggles.

"Family and drinking."

Ryujin looks around the kitchen, it's gotten packed since she has arrived. It's been at least an hour.

"I should look for Lia." Ryujin doesn't notice she's speaking out loud. Her eyes scanning the room, she definitely was not here. "Where is Yuna and Yeojin?"

"Living room," Chaeryeong mumbles out, her focus on Yeji now.

Ryujin makes her escape before she sees them kissing and the alcohol finding its way out of her system. She pushes past bodies, making sure she walks slowly. The room is only spinning slightly which isn't too bad. The last time she gets stuck with those two alone, they'll kill her.

It doesn't take too long for her to find Lia, standing at a corner of the room. Ryujin cheerfully makes her way to her Lia till she sees she isn't alone. Someone Ryujin has never seen talking and she wouldn't care. She swears.

But she leans in and whispers something, her hands on Lia's shoulder as they both share a laugh.

 

She's not your girlfriend.

 

"I don't care." She mumbles to herself.

She doesn't know what but she knows she doesn't like it. Her body moves before she can think logically.

 

Lia isn't actually her girlfriend.

 

It's a fake relationship.

 

Ryujin ignores it. Pushing past people till she's standing by Lia. It's the alcohol that's making her brave and she uses it to her advantage.

"Heyyy." Ryujin slurs as she lets her arm slip around Lia's waist. Pulling her slightly closer, smiling softly when Lia's eyes widened.

"Hi." Ryujin can't see past the cloudiness in her mind because of the alcohol but she turns to the girl in front of her.

"I didn't know you had a girlfriend Lia." The girl says and it takes everything for Ryujin not to scoff.

 

It's not real.

 

"Hello, I'm Shin Ryujin, the girlfriend." Lia glances over to her but she doesn't notice, to focus on staring at the girl in front of her. "And you are?"

"I'm her classmate, Jennie." Ryujin glares at the hand on her shoulder till it drops to her side. "She's cute Lia." Lia smiles and nods politely.

"I'm lucky." Ryujin finally glances over at Lia when those words leave . She has that smile, the one that makes her feel warm.

"My girlfriend Lisa is probably looking for me, so I should go find her." Jennie says apologetically, "Nice talking to you Lia, and nice meeting you Ryujin."

 

Oh.

 

Ryujin stands with her arms around Lia's waist feeling stupid as they say goodbye. Why did she come over here? It's not like Ryujin has any right to get... jealous?

That's ridiculous. Why would she be jealous when it's a fake relationship? 

 

We're just pretending.

 

"Are you okay?" Lia asks softly, taking Ryujin's chin between her fingers and turning her face. "How much did they make you drink." Was Lia worried?

"I'm sorry," Ryujin mumbles out.

"For what?"

"I-I don't know, I'm just sorry." Lia pushes Ryujin's hair away before leaning down and placing a gentle kiss on her forehead.

Ryujin's hearts beat fast, slamming against her chest as the feeling of Lia's lips slowly fades when she pulls away.

"It's okay." Lia fixed Ryujin's hair and this time, she knew she noticed the blush on her face. "Let's go to Yeojin and Yuna, they said they wanted to celebrate something."

Lia holds Ryujin's hand tight this time, making sure she doesn't slip away. And Ryujin feels safe, she feels so comfortable with her, everything about her brings this calmness.

 

It's not real.

 

She wishes she could shut up the little voice in her head.
 

"There you guys are." Lia leans a Ryujin out the balcony, closing the door shut behind her. "We got your shots ready."

"I don't think Ryujin should be drinking anymore." Lia looks over at Ryujin worriedly.

"It's just one more." Chaeryeong declares. "After all, we have to drink with the new happy couple."

"And to think you guys were hiding this from us for months."

Ryujin suddenly feels sick.

"I guess we're good at pretending." Ryujin mumbles and Lia glances over. Taking her hands in hers, squeezing it tightly.

"To Ryujin and Lia," Chaeyoung says happily, followed by everyone. Ryujin drinks hers quickly, sticking her tongue out at the burning feeling.

Lia's drink goes untouched but Ryujin doesn't notice.

"Now kiss!" Yuna yells out. And Ryujin's body freezes.

They didn't prepare for this. They never talked about the possibility of kissing. All the practicing and no once they didn't mention kissing. Ryujin feels her heart beating her face and her brain taking to panic.

She can't make Lia do that. It'll be crossing so many lines and for what? Selfish reasons. Just for Ryujin's stupid little pride.

"We're just pretending," Lia whispers, stopping Ryujin's thoughts.

She wouldn't.

Lia smiles but this time they don't reach her eyes and even with Ryujin slightly being drunk. She noticed.

Her eyes aren't shining.

Lia takes Ryujin's hand into her face and slowly leans in, giving Ryujin enough to pull away and despite everything telling her to stop this.

She doesn't.

Lia's lips are soft against Ryujin's, they're warm and one kiss doesn't feel enough right now. Ryujin landed on her lower back, pulling her closer. Her mind going blank with only the softness of her lips in her mind.

Her heart beats faster than ever, she swears everyone here can hear it. Her ears pounding, matching her heartbeat perfectly.

"Woah, we asked for a little kiss girls." Chaeryeong teasing makes them pull away.

Lia forces a laugh out and Ryujin's eyes drop to her lips.

 

It's just pretend.

 

And Ryujin she wishes it wasn't. At least for tonight, she wishes it was real.

"Pour me another drink." Ryujin forces out a happy voice. She'll drink. Maybe it'll stop these ridiculous thoughts.

"Do you know what you're doing?" Yeji whispered.

"What do you mean?"

"Between you and Lia."

"What? She is my girlfriend." Ryujin acts dumb. Yeji shakes her head in disappointment.

"I won't say anything to the girls but I hope you know what you're doing." Yeji goes to walk away before stopping. "Someone's going to get hurt." She warns before moving back to Chaeryeong.

Ryujin suddenly feels angry. She doesn't know what she's talking about. 

They got this under control.

 

Liar.

 

~
 

"You're heavy." Lia groans, helping Ryujin sit on the bed. Ryujin only giggles as a response.

"Today was fun." Lia hums, taking Ryujin's shoes and jacket off. "Did you have fun?"

Lia doesn't answer at first and Ryujin feels panics. Did she mess up? Was this too much for Lia? Ryujin knows she has every right to stop this.

Lia can stop this whenever she wants.

But Ryujin doesn't want that.

"I did." She finally answered as she helped Ryujin change her clothes. "You were there, so of course I had fun."

Lia tucks Ryujin under the blanket as her words stay lingering around the room. They don't question it, not once. Not when Lia looks at the photo by the nightstand they took that day at the Christmas shop. They look like a real couple.

 

But you aren't.

 

"Goodnight Ryujin." Lia kissed her forehead. Standing up to leave but the sudden hand on her wrist stops her. Ryujin squeezed slightly.

"Stay." She barely whispers.

"Okay," Lia answered quickly.

Slipping under the blanket, Lia takes her into her arms. Ryujin takes in her scent, the same one she's gotten so used to. She doesn't allow herself to think, doesn't focus on any of the warnings in her head. She just closed her eyes.

Smiling when Lia whispers something, she doesn't know what but she smiles anyways.
 

~
 

For the next few days, it continues like this. Lia sleeping with Ryujin in the most innocent way possible, every single night until Lia's parents comes over for dinner.

Neither of them have to say anything, they don't ask for it, it simply became their nightly routine. They have dinner, watch a movie, wash up, and sleep together.

They don't question it, not when small kisses on the forehead and cheek become normal. Not when Ryujin holds Lia close to her body while watching the snowfall.

They push back the obvious, they ignore what they really are. Neither of them is caring not right now.

 

That all of this is fake.

 

"Okay, my parents are here." Lia seems to be the one panicking right now. Her hands can't seem to stay still, something Ryujin noticed.

She takes a hold of her hands, bringing them to her lips and kissing them gently.

"Calm down, we'll get through this."

"Yeah?" Lia asks and Ryujin smiles.

"I'll be right by your side." Lia returns the smile right as they hear the door knock.

"Hi Mom, hi Dad." Lia opens up the door hugs them tightly. 

Ryujin stands behind her awkwardly, now she's the one with the shaking hands. Pushing them in her pockets to hide her nervousness.

"You must be Ryujin." Lia's mother speaks softly.

Ryujin bows respectfully, shaking their hands as she introduced herself.

"Oh so respectful." Lia's father comments and Ryujin laughs nervously. Lia led them to the kitchen table, where both of them helped cook the food. Glancing back at Ryujin who shoots her a thumbs up.

"It smells amazing in here."

"Yeah, Ryujin did all the cooking."

"That's not true! Lia helped me." Ryujin butts in.

"Yeah, but you did most of the work, she majors in cullinary arts, she's incredibly talented."

"Oh? Interesting." They comment and Ryujin can't stop her nerves now. They quietly serve the food, with only a few small talk in between. Mostly Lia catches up with her parents, not that Ryujin is complaining. Less attention on her.

"So Ryujin, what do your parents do?" Ryujin gently placed her drink down.

"My mother is a nurse and my father is a neurosurgeon out in Gangnam."

"That sounds very lovely." Lia's mother chips in. "They won't be coming for Christmas? It's only a few days away."

Ryujin shakes her head before smiling softly.

"They are very busy people, I was going to go visit them but decided to spend it with Lia." Ryujin glances over to Lia who has that warming smile on.

"Lia told us you guys have been dating for some time, that's correct?"

"Yes, she is an amazing woman."

"How did you know you fell for her?" Lia's father suddenly asked. Making Ryujin freeze at the moment.

"You see father-"

"Let her speak Lia." Her father chuckles, and Ryujin wants to run away. She didn't think they'd ask her that if all things. Her mind can't think of anything, now a single lie crossing her mind.

She feels herself starting to panic, not too late to run out of the room, leave the country, and change her identity.

Lia grabs her hand, squeezing it softly and it's enough to calm Ryujin. She looks down at her hands and smiles softly.

starts moving on its own.

"She always takes care of me. My parents are usually busy as I've said before, and college can get really stressful but Lia is always by my side." Ryujin answers honestly. "She brings me comfort and sometimes that's all anyone needs to feel to fall in love."

Ryujin looks over at Lia.

"It's impossible not to fall for her."

Her parents look happy with the answer, the way Lia's mother gushes over them but for a slight moment. Lia and Ryujin only noticed each other and the smiles on their face.

"You won't hurt my daughter right?"

"Absolutely not," Ryujin assures and she means it. She swears she'll never do anything to make Lia sad. 

Faking dating or not. Lia is the last person she'd want to feel anything bad.

He hums in approval and Lia never lets her hand go for the rest of the night.
 

~
 

"They're gone." Lia rubs her arm as she walks into Ryujin's room. They're room for the last few nights but neither mention it.

"They are sweet, you're dad's a little scary though."

"He's only trying to protect me. He's actually a sweetheart." Lia leans on the doorframe.

Silence filling the room for a moment, neither of them wanting to mention it.

It's been two weeks... their deal ends today. Everything goes back to the way it was— with nothing special between them.

"Hey, Ryujin?"

"Yeah?"

"About what you said...earlier during dinner." Ryujin straightens up. moved quickly.

"I had to pretend." Ryujin noticed the disappointment on her face.

 

Coward.

 

"Right... we're just pretending." She turns her back to Ryujin, making her way out of the room. And her body moves quickly, jumping out of bed and grabbing Lia's arms.

"Wait-"

"No, it's okay. This was all just pretend. A fake relationship."

"Lia-"

"No!" Lia covers as she takes a deep breath. "Two weeks are up, correct?"

"Yes." Ryujin's hand slides down her arm and takes Lia's hand into hers. "Come to bed, let's go to sleep."

"Ryujin... this ends today." Her hand slips out of her hold. "Everything goes back to normal after this."

"If that's what you want."

 

Tell her.

 

"It is." Lia states matter factly.

 

She's lying.

 

And Ryujin finally listens to the voice in her head because Lia is lying.

 

Tell her.

 

"Well, it's not what I want."

"Ryujin-"

"Listen, these past two weeks have been the best thing to happen to me. You can't expect everything to go back to normal."

"It was a fake relationship, we were pretending."

"That kiss, it felt real didn't it?" Ryujin questions, "Tell me you didn't feel anything, and i'll stop this."

Lia opens and then closes it again.

Ryujin takes her hand in hers, pulling Lia closer to her, this time she's the one taking her chin between her fingers.

"Tell me you don't want this. Tell me truthfully and I will leave you alone." Lia takes a fist full of Ryujin's shirt, her forehead dropping onto her shoulder.

"You know I can't." She whispers.

"I want this too," Ryujin speaks calmly, having a soft smile when Lia stares into her eyes.

"Are you sure?"

"I've never been more sure in my life." Ryujin wiping her tears away.

"Kiss me," Lia speaks softly, almost like casting a spell on Ryujin the way her body automatically moves on its own. Leaning down, catching Lia's lips in a soft kiss. 

They pull away and let Lia's forehead rest on Ryujin's shoulder. Their hands holding on tightly.

"How long... how long did you know?" Ryujin asked.

"For as long as I can remember, I always liked you Ryujin. So much. Just was never brave enough to say anything." Ryujin places her hand on her head.

"You?"

"It took me some time but I got there." They laugh because of course, Ryujin would be the one to notice last.

"Looks like we don't have to break up." Lia leans back. 

"Good. I hate breakups." Ryujin chuckles, looking back at their empty bed.

"Bed?"

"You're being the big spoon this time." Ryujin whines but lets Lia pull her into the room.

And this time when she calls it their room, it wouldn't be a lie.
 

They aren't pretending anymore.
 

fin.