Made it look so perfect...

City Love

Hyukjae met Junsu when he was in his third year of college. He was in the middle of a group meeting for a project at one of his classes with Leeteuk and Heechul, when Junsu effortlessly in their quiet huddle in the library. Being good friends with Leeteuk and Heechul hyung, Junsu was naturally introduced to Hyukjae. And it would be a lie if Hyukjae was to deny the little blush he had on his face when was at the receiving end of Junsu’s bright smile.

After that encounter, it was as if everywhere Hyukjae went, there Junsu was. Hyukjae usually eats his lunch alone as Sungmin, Leeteuk and Heechul still have classes at 12 noon. This quickly turned around when Junsu saw him sitting by himself at his usual table, eating alone while he looked over his notes for his next class. “Hey, Hyukjae right?”

Hyukjae usually has his earphones on when he eats alone at lunch, especially when he’s reading over his notes or just rewriting them. So he’s a little embarrassed for two reasons; he doesn’t mean to appear rude towards a senior, a close friend of his hyungs even and lastly, Hyukjae literally leaped off of his seat when Junsu tapped his shoulder when he didn’t respond the few times the older was calling for him. It also didn’t help that Junsu failed horribly at trying to keep his amused giggles at bay. 

“Yeah, Leeteuk and Heechul hyung still have classes so they aren’t here if you’re looking for them,” he answers once he’s calmed himself down, Junsu has also calmed down but there’s still a wide smile on his face so Hyukjae’s trying so hard not to stare at his face for too long because he’s already feeling a little warm from the embarrassing scene he caused, he doesn’t need to add blushing in front of a cute senior to the list.

“Oh, I know, I actually came over for you. Do you mind if I ate with you?” Junsu gestures to the seat next to Hyukjae, to which he quickly shakes his head and supplements that with a not at all. He clears the side where Junsu is sitting and puts away the materials he’s already done reviewing. “Have you always eaten alone during lunch?”

Hyukjae nods at this, already used to the question as his classmates sometimes catch him during lunch sitting at the same table by himself. “I usually eat with the hyungs when they’re done with class, today is just one of the days their classes don’t coincide with mine.”

“I see, do you mind if I accompany you whenever the hyungs aren’t here to eat lunch with you?” The question catches Hyukjae off guard but quickly regains composure, I’m sure he’s just being nice, his brain reasons. 

“Why, don’t you have other friends?” he feels a smug smile blossoming on his lips from sounding so stable, at the same time already regretting the comment as he thinks that Junsu might misunderstand it to him being mean.

“I could ask you the same thing.” Junsu retorts, his smile never leaving his face, and the more Hyukjae stares, the harder it is to look away. “For your information, it’s because I want to not because I have to” Hyukjae says as he breaks away from his trance, already feeling his face warm up, it’s a good thing none of his hyungs are here or he’s never hearing the end of it.

“Well, you don’t have to be alone anymore. At least not during lunch.” Junsu visibly relaxes and starts to unload his lunch from the tray. He throws another dazzling smile Hyukjae’s way and this time he allows himself to stare a little longer. 

 

 

 

 

The following days after their initial lunch meetings, Junsu had effortlessly into Hyukjae’s friend group. He’s there during lunch, as well as when Hyukjae has free time and is spending it in the library to rewrite his notes or just review the previous lessons. Junsu has also made it a point to walk him to the train station when it’s time to go home even when the older lives in a dorm near the university. They’ve also exchanged numbers so although they have said goodbye at the train station, Junsu still texts him ranging from typical get home safely to asking him random questions like do you know what you’re having for dinner? and my roommate ate all my ramen stash, what do you think I should make him buy me at the convenience store that would prevent him from doing it again? 

And honestly, Hyukjae enjoys being in Junsu’s company. Spending time with the older man has been so comfortable, he doesn’t realize how quickly he’s opening up to Junsu. Even his hyungs have noticed a sudden shift between the two, which prompts Heechul to tease the heck out of the two victims. Sadly the teasing jabs fly over Hyukjae’s head judging from his confused expression every time, all the while Junsu’s face never fails to paint itself red and from his experience, there’s no use trying to silence Heechul as this just fuels him to do more. 

 

From the sidelines, Leeteuk and Sungmin look at the two interacts, and so far they are liking the improvement Junsu’s presence has made on Hyukjae. Their precious dongsaeng laughs showcasing his cute gummy smile more and more whenever Junsu so much as cracks a really lame joke, yet somehow to Hyukjae it’s the funniest joke he’s heard. Albeit sometimes they get a bit jealous that Junsu effortlessly takes all of Hyukjae’s attention, they are happy that their dongsaeng is opening up to someone beyond his own circle. 

 

When they look back at the time they first met Hyukjae, it was always a little hazy. Freshman Lee Hyukjae always arrived fifteen minutes before the class schedule and was seated either near the window or near the aisle. 

 

Sungmin was the first one to notice Hyukjae, he was in most classes with the latter, and whenever he’d look over at the corner there he’d find Hyukjae by himself with his head bowed and intently looking at his phone. It was later on that week that Sungmin found out that the other had his earphones on and was listening to music while waiting for the professor to come in and he’d only put them back on when the class ends.

 

It took another week of observing Hyukjae before Sungmin walked up to the other before he could silently slip out of class. 

 

“Hi, Hyukjae right? I’m Sungmin.” his extended hand only receives a confused stare from the other, but Sungmin doesn’t let this deter him from his goal. “My friends and I are trying out this new restaurant just a few minutes outside the campus, would you like to join us?”

 

“Aren’t you already going with your friends?”

 

“I am but I noticed we’re in almost all the same classes so I thought, why not make a new friend?”

 

They take another few minutes standing in front of each other in the empty classroom before finally, Hyukjae shyly nods at Sungmin’s proposal. Sungmin walks out of that classroom with Hyukjae trailing behind him, and he feels like he’s won a million bucks.

 

Looking back and seeing how far Hyukjae has come from someone who has chosen to be a recluse in freshman year, Sungmin can’t help but feel proud of this improvement. Unlike Heechul and Leeteuk, Sungmin only knows Junsu as someone who’s well acquainted with his two hyungs, so he could only hope that he wouldn’t take advantage of Hyukjae’s shyness and sometimes naive nature. 

 

But from what he has witnessed, Sungmin’s assured there won’t be a need to use his black belt experience in taekwondo. 






 

It was after Hyukjae’s last final exam did Junsu finally ask him to be his boyfriend. The two have been on multiple dates ranging from study dates at the library helping the other review for a quiz or an activity, to movie and dinner dates during the weekends they have their requirements finished and they both want to unwind and do something that’s fun and not think about anything school-related. 

 

The more dates they go on, the more it becomes clear to Hyukjae that Junsu’s interested in him as more than a friend. There are only so many caring and thoughtful acts that a man’s heart could take, but Hyukjae’s more than willing to be known as a blushing tomato in Junsu’s presence if it means that he can freely lean on the sweet man’s shoulder and bask in his comforting scent. He has gotten used to having the other beside him so fast that even Hyukjae’s surprised. 

 

Junsu’s confession was nothing short of sweet and endearing.

 

Hyukjae was physically and mentally drained from his last exam, all he wanted to do was collapse in his bed and wake up the next week. All his exams that day flew right past him that he had half a mind to panic if he wrote down the correct answers or not. Some of it he kind of just winged it. He’s also pretty sure that he’s fallen asleep somewhere along in the middle of one of his exams. For now, that would be tomorrow’s worry, there’s only one thing in Hyukjae’s mind right now and that is to get a gallon’s worth of strawberry milk and hightail to the train station to catch the next train home. 

 

As he gets closer to the gates, the pounding headache he’s having is a little more tolerable. His vision is tunneling and he doesn’t see anything or anyone but the university gates. This is why Hyukjae almost jumps out of his skin when he feels a firm hand grip on his right elbow. He calms himself when he hears the familiar chimes of Junsu’s laughter, “What got your head up in the clouds?”

 

“Sorry, I sat through three exams today so all that’s in my mind right now is my bed and possibly something sweet.”

 

“Well, you’re in luck! If you would allow me, I’d like to take you out on a date? Maybe have dinner then try that new ice cream place near your home?” Junsu reveals the bouquet of sunflowers, light pink roses, and white lilies, Hyukjae doesn’t prevent the wide smile from appearing on his lips when Junsu hands him the beautiful bouquet.

 

“I don’t know, I really don’t look date-worthy right now.” Hyukjae says, hiding half his face with the bouquet in hopes of making his haggard appearance look a little presentable. Junsu is having none of this and gently lowers the bouquet out of the blushing male’s face, tucking a strand of Hyukjae’s hair behind his ear. “Nonsense, you always look beautiful regardless.”

 

“You’re such a sweet talker, when I space out in between a conversation it’s your fault for taking me out right after three major exams.”

 

“Doesn’t matter if you’re responding or not, as long as I get to stare at your pretty face.”

 

“Please shut up, just take me out of here.”



 

They ended up having dinner at one of the hole in the wall restaurants they frequent, the store auntie greeting them warmly the moment they walk through the door. Junsu made sure to stuff Hyukjae full of his favorite dishes. It didn’t matter that by the time everything they ordered was brought out and there was barely enough room for their own plates, Hyukjae was able to at least make a dent on all the dishes. It also doesn’t help that every time he finishes swallowing a mouthful, Junsu is already refilling his plate with something else. It was undeniably sweet but Hyukjae would very much like to be able to freely walk out of the restaurant.

 

Their next stop was a small arcade that had claw and gacha machines, something they could do without exerting much effort. Although the machines were obviously made to empty out your pockets, the couple didn’t mind spending the last of their pocket change as it was already the weekend the next day. 

 

The arcade is packed, as expected, but that doesn’t deter Hyukjae from laughing merrily as he watches Junsu try and fail to get the fluffy arctic seal pup. By the time they’ve reached the last of their coins, Hyukjae is holding three gachas and an arctic seal pup keychain. Junsu has failed to get him the big plushie but that doesn’t decrease the points he’s made in Hyukjae’s heart. 



 

“Why don’t you go look for a table? I’ll bring us the ice cream.”  The ice cream parlor wasn’t as packed as it was when it first opened, so it wasn’t hard for Hyukjae to find a table that separated from the crowd. 

 

It didn’t take long for Junsu to follow, bearing two waffle bowls filled with ice cream, a strawberry sundae for Hyukjae, and a hot caramel for himself. He sends Junsu a grateful smile before he indulges in the sweet and sour treat. Hyukjae feels his whole body falling lax after the sweet spoonful, his blissful expression elicits a chuckle from Junsu. 

 

“Thank you Junsu, not only for today but for all those times you’ve been there for me.”  

 

“You don’t have to mention it Hyukkie, I’m glad I get to make you happy.” This is the first time Hyukjae has heard Junsu’s voice so soft, his chin is tucked into his neck to hide the blush on his face but his red ears are a dead giveaway. Hyukjae tries to replay what he just said in his mind and he gets why Junsu is shy all of a sudden. Now there are two blushing idiots looking anywhere but each other. 

 

But before Hyukjae begins to overthink his comment, Junsu reaches over his cold hands to hold onto them firmly but delicately. This prompts Hyukjae to slowly lift his gaze from his bowl to Junsu’s soft, inquiring gaze. There’s a menagerie of emotions brewing in Hyukjae, he wants to drown in Junsu’s gaze but at the same time, he wants to look away. He grants himself the first option just because, and he feels Junsu squeeze his hand and rub comforting circles on the back of his hands. 

 

“God, I’m so nervous.”

 

“How come? It’s just me.”

 

“That’s the thing, it’s you. It’s always been you. You’re such an amazing person and you don’t know it. You’re so considerate and caring of others that you sometimes forget about yourself. Oftentimes you care too much about what others need from you that you forget it’s okay to be selfish. It’s what fuels me to do these things for you because you deserve to be taken care of too.”

 

“I know I won’t be everything you’d need but I want to at least be someone you lean on when everything is overwhelming. I want to be someone you talk to when something frustrates you, I want to be there when the expectations you unconsciously set for yourself get too much. You’re an amazing person Hyukkie, getting to know you have been such a pleasure.”

 

“I like you so much Lee Hyukjae, and I’m not far from falling in love with you. Would you give me the pleasure of calling you, my boyfriend?”

 

To outsiders, it may seem silly that Hyukjae is crying his eyes out at an ice cream parlor. It’s even sillier that although his face is damp from the tears, Junsu’s still looking at him like he’s the most beautiful he’s seen Hyukjae.

 

None of what the others might think matters, not when Hyukjae feels the same way. None of it matters when Hyukjae throws caution to the wind and he leans over to Junsu and gives him their first kiss as a couple. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

Xia Junsu is a year older than Hyukjae in this fic x3

 

This is a look into Hyukjae's past relationship, I originally planned to write this and the reason why Hyukjae needed to leave where his hometown in one chapter but I've only now just discovered that angst isn't my strong suit |д・) (ಥ_ʖಥ) so I've decided to cut the chapter short so that I could refine the next chapter even more for you guys kekeke hope you guys enjoy this update! AND don't forget to stream HOUSE PARTY!! ヾ(´ー`)ノ