Blood and Darkness 4

Of Gods, Goddesses and Demigods
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

08/20/21: Some minor editing.

 

-

 

It was just roughly two weeks ago that Wendy went to school like any other kid her age. Sure, she knew all about Achilles and the Trojan War, Hercules and the majestic Pegasus, even Medusa and her snake hair. But never could she imagine that everything her intellectual capacity retained after hours of studying past the blockade of dyslexia were meant to be taken as real and tangible as herself. How her world of black and white began to swirl into a kaleidoscope of colors; an abstract universe right before her eyes that she now walked upon.

 

Demigod. Half human and half god. And Wendy was one of them.

 

The thirteen year-old still barely wrapped her head around it. Two weeks ago, she knew of only one side of the world. And yet, even after everything she’s learned, she still couldn’t fully comprehend that this was her life now. The conjecture of her existence has been drastically altered and yet also brought her back to the point where she questioned herself: Who am I? What is my destiny? Wendy heavily sighed. This was something only the Fates could answer. However, based on Taeyeon’s stories about the three old, but powerful beings, she should probably be careful what she wished for. Fate was too temperamental as an enemy. And so was her combat arts master apparently.

 

“Break time’s over,” her master cruelly announced after just five minutes of actual breathing time.

 

Wendy scornfully looked up at her instructor who flashed a grin back her way. Kim Taeyeon, daughter of Zeus and present-day wielder of the great spear Gae Bolg. The child of lightning skillfully whirled her spear until its sharp edge was pointed directly at Wendy.

 

“Rise, my apprentice. It is time for us to resume!”

 

“Unnie. What’s up with the form of speech? You sound like a warrior from Achilles’ time period.” Despite the quip, Wendy picked up her training weapon, a medium-weight iron lance, and gingerly stood up to face Taeyeon once more.

 

Taeyeon chuckled before lowering her majestic spear and getting into position. “Talking this way helps me focus. Makes me feel like I can channel every single fighting form Achilles had to offer in battle. Though admittedly, I favor Cu Chulainn most of the time. No offense to the hero of the Trojan War, of course.” The older girl winked in jest.

 

Wendy allowed an amused laugh to slip out of her lips. Like any would expect, one would be partial to the soul who originally wielded a heroes’ relic. As Gae Bolg was Cu Chulainn’s, so was Taeyeon’s preferential bias.

 

“Wow, unnie. I’m sure Chiron and Jessica-unnie would be very proud of your improvement in historical accuracy!”

 

“Yah! Not you too.” Taeyeon clicked her tongue in annoyance. “I may not be the most faultless student around but I do know the important stuff,” she huffed.

 

It was true. Wendy noticed how Camp Half-Blood’s leader barely cracked open a history book and yet she was privy to critical information for strategy. Despite what most people thought, Taeyeon did study. The only difference against the overzealous Camp Jupiter Praetor Jessica Jung whose blueprint was her sharp intellect, was Taeyeon’s clear-cut focus on the matter at hand. It wasn’t difficult to deduct why the Fates brought the two together.

 

“Just yesterday, you switched the names of the three Muses with the Furies,” Wendy deadpanned. “The Furies, unnie.”

 

Taeyeon’s jaw visibly twitched. “E-Enough babble! You’ve distracted me long enough. Now we train!”

 

“Ugh, fine…” Wendy took a step back and took position, making sure to ground her center of gravity just like how Taeyeon taught her. She waited in defense, observing the pre-coordinated movements of her mentor. After almost making a full circle around Wendy, Taeyeon leapt forward for her first attack.

 

And so, the fourth sequence began.

 



 

 

“No... more,” Wendy huffed out from her prone position on the arena’s marbled floor. “Can’t… lift my arms…”

 

A melodic chuckle was released until she heard soft shuffling from beside her. As Wendy cracked open her eyes, she was met with the sight of Taeyeon sitting cross-legged without a single drop of sweat on her. Seriously, did this girl even feel exhausted? It almost felt like Wendy sparred with a robot, and by the looks of it, that theory was worth considering. It was crazy thinking about the immense difference in skill between them. Taeyeon was simply a thousand miles ahead of everyone else. Someone Wendy could never catch up to even with only a five year between them. Apart from that, Taeyeon started training as a demigod much earlier than Wendy did. So really, it wasn’t even a matter of comparison anymore. Taeyeon was simply on a whole other level.

 

“Make sure you ice ‘em later and maybe ask Seulgi for some soothing oils. Works wonders on muscle soreness.” Taeyeon thoughtfully gave the advice. She always made sure to impart some sort of wisdom after every training and Wendy sincerely took them to heart.

 

“Predicting I can magically warp my body to the infirmary right now, soothing oils sound perfect actually. That is, of course, before Seulgi scolds me again for using up a quarter of the medical supplies.” Wendy sighed at her foresight. She was definitely going to be admonished. “Seriously, unnie. You never take it easy on me.”

 

“Of course not.” A boyish grin appeared on Taeyeon’s features. “What do you take me for?”

 

“Definitely not a lackadaisical teacher.” Wendy chuckled amusedly. “Was your mentor the same way?”

 

A pause, Taeyeon seemed to ponder on the question. “I didn’t have one. Chiron was the closest to it, I guess. But other than him, well… my father wasn’t much of a shining beacon of excellence for me to look up to.”

 

Other than information from books and movies, Wendy has never met the Lord of the Olympians. Almost everyone knew that the only thing rivaling his apparent power was his own notoriety. Even then, Taeyeon didn’t seem to take after him. Sure, she had her moments of mischief, it was a genuine part of her personality. But other than that, you wouldn’t think she hailed from someone the likes of Zeus.

 

“So unnie isn’t a serial womanizer, huh?” Wendy couldn’t help but tease.

 

“Of course not. I’m not my father.” A pinkish hue consumed her companion’s pale complexion.

 

“I know, I know.” Wendy’s smile grew even bigger. “You have eyes only for Jessi—”

 

“Stop!” Taeyeon whined, her hand firmly clamped on Wendy’s mouth just to interrupt her. Once she let go, Wendy went straight ahead and laughed her wits out. Taeyeon could only glare back at the younger girl.

 

“Gosh, unnie. You’re just too easy.” The blonde giggled once more at the blushing Taeyeon. Feeling her strength returning some, Wendy pushed herself up and leaned on her knees. “No offense unnie. But your dad is kind of a .”

 

“You can say that again.” The older girl smiled crudely. “Even I wouldn’t be too surprised if one day you would claim to be my half sister. Though, that is something I wouldn’t wish upon anyone. One demigod is enough to bear this responsibility and miserable luck.”

 

It has crossed Wendy’s mind before, if only for a short moment, being a child of Zeus. Which led her to laugh because in no way would her mom ever choose someone like him. As more days passed, the smaller her hopes of being claimed became. But would it be that awful to stay undetermined? Wendy wondered. There were its perks of course, not knowing, no divine familial duties. Then she scoffed to herself, that wasn’t why she wanted to find her other parent in the first place, was it?

 

“You say that as if you had tons of people coming up to you and claiming to be your sibling.” Wendy said it in jest but a look to her companion told her it was exactly as she stated. “Oh my god. I knew Zeu— I mean, your father fooled around but I didn’t think…” she trailed off.

 

“Trust me, the shock value vanished after I was given a swan egg and was told it was possibly my half brother.” Taeyeon cackled at the scandalized look on Wendy. “You’d be happy to know it turned out to be a regular swan that now roams our vast lake. Even turned into the camp’s mascot for a while.”

 

The senior fished out her necklace from under her shirt that held seven clay beads molded into different symbols that represented a significant event each year. Seven beads meant seven years. Wendy scanned each one in reverence. A lighting bolt that signified Taeyeon’s arrival at camp. Various others, a bright yellow sun, then a Stygian star, and just as Taeyeon indicated, a white swan was among them. Wendy had no idea what all of them meant, only that she knew they were important.

 

“Sounds like every year was fun,” Wendy said a bit wistfully.

 

Taeyeon looked at her thoughtfully. “There were fun times, that’s for sure. But with it came an equally challenging ball game.” She shook her head, as if shaking off the memories itself. “That said, with you here now, maybe things could be lighter.”

 

The blonde shot Taeyeon a grateful smile. “Thanks, unnie. I feel more at ease now.”

 

“Well, with all that said.” Taeyeon briskly stood up and dusted off the back of her pants. “We ought to find you a perfectly balanced spear. These work well enough for training but not in actual battle.” Her own spear was back to its nondescript form, an old Irish coin Taeyeon continuously rolled in between her knuckles.

 

Wendy took the hand that Taeyeon held out and let herself be hoisted back up. “You’re right, but I wouldn’t know where to start.”

 

“We can ask Kibum once he returns with the Romans. He may have an idea.” Kibum was a son of Hephaestus who was sent to Camp Jupiter as an ambassador and also their ride back home as the kid was apparently a genius who rebuilt an ancient floating warship to ferry them back and forth.

 

And just as they were about to head into the infirmary, the camp’s warning bells rang loudy around them. Wendy’s intimation was proved right as a young boy ran towards them and yelled, “The Romans have arrived!”

 

 

 

-

 

 

 

 

Walking around camp was never as difficult as this. After bumping into seven people who were all frantic and finicky, Wendy finally spotted Seulgi checking medical inventories. The orange head looked as busy as everyone else around but dropped everything when she caught Wendy’s seemingly lost form a few feet away.

 

“Wannie! There you are.” Seulgi waved for Wendy to come closer, the blonde let out a sigh of relief and met her friend.

 

“Anything I can help with?” Wendy opted to search for the Apollo girl after she and Taeyeon parted ways, the older girl all but sprinted to the beach to welcome their guests— Taeyeon being the leader and of course to finally reunite with a certain child of Night.

 

Seulgi shook her head and smiled despite her obvious exhaustion. “I think it’s all good now. We can go meet the Romans if you’re up for it.”

 

“No need to ask. Let’s go!”

 

Luckily for Wendy, Seulgi was kind enough to give her a quick rundown on the Romans as they walked towards the seashore. Only then did Wendy actually realize how little she knew of them. Up till last year, the two camps began their official unification through ambassadors, similar to an exchange student program; Kim Kibum from the Greeks and Seo Juhyun from Romans. As Juhyun was a Praetor— the Roman equivalent to a leader— she could only stay with them for the summer last year, while Kibum stayed at Camp Jupiter all-year round.

 

Prior to the peace they enjoyed now, the two factions actually almost broke into another bloody war against each other. If it weren’t for Taeyeon and Jessica, even the idea of unification wouldn’t have been possible. Wendy found herself even more awe-stricken for the two older girls than before.

 

“Basically, Jessica-unnie’s plan is to allow each demigod a choice on which camp they’d like to train at. Opening the doors to anyone regardless of their origin.”

 

“Daebak. She’s like… the Queen of Unification or something,” Wendy muttered in reverence.

 

A chuckle from Seulgi. “You’re not wrong. She and Taeyeon-unnie really are something.”

 

Wendy whole-heartedly agreed. She could only hope to be even half of what they were capable of.

 

The trek from the main grounds to the shore was short and in only a few minutes, the girls found themselves among the sea of other curious campers. Instantly, Wendy’s attention was captured by a gigantium ship floating a few meters right above them.

 

“Is that a… warship?” Wendy asked aloud, confused and oddly amazed.

 

It looked exactly like an ancient Greek trireme Odysseus' boarded in his time. Both sides are lined with a single row of oars that magically row through air without actual paddlers. The masts were wide open in all its glory and atop waved two flags representing the colors of each faction, one in orange marked by a pegasus and the other in purple adorning the letters SPQR surrounded by a laurel wreath. The whole thing could probably carry over a hundred people but currently there were at least more than ten onboard. Even more than that, it was actually suspended in the air, and stayed that way.

 

“This has Kibum-oppa’s name written all over it.” Just as the words left Seulgi’s mouth, a cheerful boy wearing mechanic safety goggles popped out right from the ship’s helm and started waving to the crowd. Wendy had a good guess that this was the infamous Kibum.

 

Wendy continued to watch everything unfold before her. Everyone moved back to make space for the ship’s touchdown, its bronze-plated prow facing the crowd. A strong gust of wind blew from below the ship, the space right above land, similar to a chopper preparing for landing. Wendy instinctively closed her eyes, forearm up to block any dust. In a few seconds, the torrent finally died down and Wendy blinked a few times before her sight settled on a figure walking down from the ship along a wooden platform.

 

Belatedly, Wendy realized it was none other than Jessica Jung herself. On the other end stood Kim Taeyeon, the smile on her face impossible to miss. Wendy watched in baited breath along with everyone else as the two demigods now stood one-on-one. A moment passed, the two simply studied each other, until Taeyeon raised her hand in between them. The Roman finally cracked a small smile and reached out mirroring the Greek, then both grasped each other’s forearms in a handshake. The silence was instantly broken at the show of camaraderie with loud cheers from the crowd. Wendy clapped along at the magnificent display almost in a daze.



 

 

 

 

This feeling of nervousness was much different from the time Wendy first arrived at camp. Mainly because she didn’t know any other Roman apart from Jessica, but just like their leader, most of them seemed... unapproachable. Or Wendy was just terribly intimidated by them, that too.

 

Sadly, she was left to her own devices after Seulgi gave her the instruction to help usher the guests to their respective cabins, the orange head already offering help to the first Roman girl who passed by them— Irene was her name if she could remember correctly. At least Wendy could tease Seulgi for the obvious blush on her cheeks after Irene shyly muttered a soft thanks, the Apollo girl squeaking before fumbling around to take a hold of her luggage. Wendy couldn’t blame her friend, the Irene girl was gorgeous.

 

Now left alone and the crowd almost dwindling, her panic started to settle in the pits of her stomach. She had to find someone to help, pronto. Almost as if her wish was answered in the most twisted way, Wendy heard someone shout ‘Watch out!’ seconds before a four feet carry-on came barreling her way. Wendy underestimated its speed and failed to move out of the way, the rolling bag on wheels making contact with her abdomen and— well, now Wendy knew how it felt to have your insides semi-crushed.

 

Wendy dramatically kneeled to the ground, arm clutching her middle protectively. The luggage ironically supported her form as she resisted the urge to gag.

 

Hurried footsteps came running her way with a frantic “Oh my god, I’m terribly sorry. I was unloading my bags and thought it would be faster if I let them roll down the bridge but then you walked by right as I let go and well— gravity, you know?”

 

That was probably the worst apology Wendy has ever heard but she was still too busy dry-retching to care.

 

“Uhm…” the owner of the bag kept on, “Are you alright?”

 

No, no she was not. Especially when she could practically feel her internal organs realigning themselves inside her gut. Was that even normal? Maybe she should visit the infirmary after all. Seulgi’s scolding be damned.

 

“I—” Wendy heaved. “I’m just glad I wasn’t a boy.” She has no idea how she even had the gall to joke about it but Taeyeon’s satirism probably already rubbed off on her.

 

It at least brought out a chuckle from her companion, which Wendy thought sounded pleasing to the ear. The pain was slightly receding and she could finally look up to see the identity of her assailant. Nothing could have prepared Wendy for the person before her, or rather, laying eyes on another beautiful girl. Seriously, were all the Roman demigods children of Aphrodi— Venus or something?

 

“Tell me how I can help,” the lovely girl earnestly said, her brows furrowed in worry. If her estimation was right, she seemed to be around Wendy’s age.

 

“Could you hold my hand?” Wendy abruptly asked without much thought. When she realized what she just uttered, she quickly raised her hand to clamp shut but before it could reach her lips, a hand took hold of hers.

 

Blood and darkness....

 

She was holding hands… with a beautiful girl. Someone wake her up because— What the hell.

 

“Is this better?” The beautiful stranger asked, worry still tucked in there. Wendy just stared, unable to form any coherent words other than awe-struck mumblings. “Uhm… Miss?” the girl trailed off, not knowing what to refer to Wendy as.

 

Maybe it was because Wendy was just figuratively gutted by a freaking bag, or her brain short circuiting from the beautiful girl holding her hand and looking at her with sincere concern, but she suddenly had the impulse to say—

 

“You can call me... your future wife.”

 

 

 

 

//

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon and Jessica shared the same vision. One borne past the rivalry, mistrust, and pride.

 

After all the centuries of senseless war and fighting, they could finally, proudly say that the first step to long lasting prosperity— as much of it as a demigod can have— has been taken. The beginning wasn’t easy, and so would the next steps be as well. Woe was the fate of demigods, truly. Regardless, there was hope. That, Taeyeon knew for sure was agreed upon by the masses judging from the positive cheering coming from all directions.

 

The time for a new era has arrived. And Taeyeon and Jessica were leading the charge. The child of lighting couldn’t have asked for a better partner in this endeavor.

 

“Good to have you back, Sica.” Taeyeon didn’t dial down on her joy, now especially as the crowd dispersed into smaller groups— Greeks and Romans intermingling. It brought an even bigger smile to her face.

 

“Taengoo~” The nickname was uttered in Jessica’s aegyo voice. Naturally, Taeyeon loses power over that.

 

“Wh-What?”

 

Jessica instantly clutched onto Taeyeon’s arm, pressing herself into her side. Her gaze dropped down to the blonde holding tightly and— wrong move. Jessica was actually pouting. Oh no...

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter