Blood and Darkness 3

Of Gods, Goddesses and Demigods
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Been a while since my last update and I completely blame WJSN for dividing my attention like that but I happily present to you, after almost 2 months, a new chapter. Enjoy :)

--

 

 

The moment Wendy opened her eyes, she already felt that something was amiss.

 

For one, she felt ten times taller than the usual five foot three. Was it just her or was the air getting seriously thin? A familiar yet foreign weight on her right hand registered on her mind next. One look and she realized she was holding onto a magnificently crafted spear that emitted a warm glow in contrast to the dark shadows around. After a beat, she realized the shadows were actually coming from herself.

 

Normally, Wendy would have already started freaking out.

 

And freak out she did.

 

“I-I’m burning? Ahhhh!” she screamed and thrashed around, the black smoke never leaving her and instead evaporating into the air before being replaced by another puff.

 

“Aidoneus!” Someone called and like some unstoppable force, her body twisted by itself, facing the stranger’s voice. “What are you doing, sister?! Keep it together!”

 

Her gaze finally landed on the caller. Wendy’s eyes felt like popping out of its sockets. The stranger was definitely not unknown to her. She could never mistake that baby-face for anyone else, not especially the electric blue eyes that mirrored the skies up above.

 

Taeyeon-unnie? Was what she wanted to say, but what came out instead was even more preposterous. “Trying to keep us alive, Zeus.”

 

Zeus? As in lord of the skies and gods on Olympus, Zeus? Uncle Zeus?

 

“We cannot hold up much longer, I’m afraid. If you have a brilliant plan as of now, that would be exquisite,” Zeus/Taeyeon billowed while throwing a heavy-looking shield and knocking some sort of monster down before returning to their hand like a boomerang.

 

Wendy belatedly realized they were standing right in the middle of a bloody battleground, the fiery azure over their heads as grisly. Her own body was fully out of her control now but maybe that was for the best as her reflexes automatically skewered another one of those horrible creatures before it could even land a scratch on her. Wendy was well-informed that if it were her own actions, she’d probably have been ripped to pieces by now.

 

“He’s right, big sister,” another figure voiced out, Poseidon. “We need a contingency.”

 

Even without hearing it outloud, Wendy already felt that she knew it was Poseidon. Which kind of didn’t make sense either because it was Poseidon, but in the form of an unfamiliar woman, a really beautiful one with golden-tanned skin and sea-green eyes. Just like Taeyeon, she wore a traditional Greek tunic, the white robes flowing down until their feet.

 

Her brothers were right though. Looking around, their regiment mixed with the rest of their siblings, cyclopes and even some allied Titans, were starting to show weariness. She lightly bit onto her knuckles, a habit she picked up, as she scoured her brain for any bright ideas. The battle was almost coming to an end now after the defeat of the opposition’s general Atlas, its tempestuously approaching.

 

Not a moment too soon, an unhuman cry howled from the top of Mount Othrys, its sound fast approaching the battle front, right at the mouth. Finally tearing through the wall of both enemies and allies was the King of the Titans himself, Kronos.

 

It mattered to him not whatever lay in his path, never straying away almost as if he was headed for only one objective. Her younger siblings tried to step in one by one, and then all at once. It still wasn’t enough.

 

All that stood in the King’s way now was Wendy.

 

An answer manifested itself without her own beckoning as the previously equipped spear glowed even brighter as the King closed in, wearied as her allies slowed him down. Her arm automatically raised the armament, Kronos’ cries grew even louder. She knew what to do then, it was almost as if the spear itself spoke to Wendy in an invisible language. She positioned herself, armed and on sure footing.

 

Ten years of seemingly endless fray all drew to this one moment. It came in flashes, Kronos right in front of her, then a heavy swing, until like in slow motion, the Titan fell before her feet.

 

Wendy heaved, drawing back the spear before letting it drop on the ground with a heavy thud. A hand clutched tightly onto the ends of her robe, calling for her attention. Looking down, she locked eyes with the paling face of the god of time. Kronos’ opened his mouth to speak but instead spluttered out, coughing out blood and tainting her previously white tunic.

 

“This is not the end, little one. It is only but your beginning,” the King spoke one last time, his eyes still locked with Wendy’s. She’s never seen anything as dark as them before, almost as if she was peering into Erebus itself.

 

Laughter suddenly brewed from his lips. It grew louder and louder until the sound started to ring into Wendy’s ears.

 

She held onto the side of her head, blocking, the sound was just so… unbearable. It uncontrollably planted a seed of fear that suddenly spread out into her body like wildfire. She was scared, but she didn’t know why.

 

“Stop. Stop it!”

 

It doesn’t stop. Dread was fogging up her mind now too. The world around her started to quake along with the pitches of laughter, until—

 

“Wendy-ssi, wake up!”

 

She was awake, wasn’t she?

 

“You’re dreaming, you moron.”

 

She tried to focus on the voice, insulting as it was, the deafening laughter started to fade out. The fog that cloaked her vision began to clear.

 

With no warning, Wendy’s eyes finally flew open. She blinked once, then twice. Once her vision settled and her mind anchored, the form of an annoyed Yerim just inches away from her face registered next.

 

Her mind wasn’t fully stable as she thought as a loud scream erupted from the depth of her lungs.






 

“So, I heard you successfully rendered more than half of the Hermes’ kids deaf this morning.”

 

Wendy sighed and dropped her head onto her palms, making her look even smaller on the bench. Taeyeon just had to start with a reminder of that.

 

No introduction for her was necessary now as the whole camp dubbed her as the modern-day Stentor, a Greek herald during the Trojan War who could apparently shout as loud as fifty men. It was pretty ominous though as Stentor appropriately died after having a shouting contest with the god of mischief himself. The Hermes’ kids probably thought it was befitting.

 

“I don’t want to talk about it.” She pushed even deeper into the groove of her hand.

 

“Don’t you worry, young Stentor,” Taeyeon quipped, patting her back good-naturedly, “the rest of the camp applauded your act of heroism. The Hermes’ kids had it coming after all those pranks they pulled off.”

 

“Unnie, that’s even worse! You practically called me a sacrificial lamb.”

 

Wendy’s heard of how notorious those kids were, pulling tricks and stunts everywhere they went. Naturally, it meant they mostly weren’t in everyone else’s good graces. But now, the kids had a singular target to get back at. She could only hope she could make it in one piece in the remaining nights sleeping at the Hermes’ cabin.

 

That is… if she actually gets claimed before then.

 

“Don’t listen to her,” Jessica sagely said as she took a seat beside Wendy. The older girl thankfully looked more well-rested than yesterday. “Taeyeon’s been wanting to settle her score with Yoona for ages now.”

 

Taeyeon grunted, now also sitting on the other end, leaving Wendy in the middle.

 

“That alligator so had it coming.”

 

“What happened?” Wendy looked to her left, directing the question to Jessica.

 

“A lot. But Taeyeon’s latest grudge was from last year’s game of Capture the Flag. Long story short, Taeyeon was a sore loser.”

 

Taeyeon let out an irate grumble. “For everyone’s information, my team would have won if those troublemakers didn’t cheat!”

 

Another questioning look to Jessica.

 

“Yoona had the most brilliant plan of setting up their flag on top of the highest point at camp,” Jessica dramatically paused for effect, her lips curling into an amused smirk.

 

“Don’t say it…” Taeyeon feebly pleaded.

 

Unfortunately, Jessica had no mercy for the other girl.

 

“Taeyeon, daughter of the god of the skies, has acrophobia.”

 

The raven narrowed her eyes at the blonde who just elegantly smiled back. "So, so heartless."

 

Wendy remembered Chiron’s basic lesson yesterday. How demigods would sometimes fear something their divine parent experienced or is traumatized by. An irrational fear as Chiron called it. Although she wouldn’t have expected Taeyeon to have such a phobia. It was kind of ironic thinking about it now. But then again, maybe that was why it was illogical in a sense.

 

It reminded Wendy of her dream. The images slightly blurry now but she still couldn’t forget that mind-splitting sensation of fear almost as if an imaginary hand was on her neck, crushing her windpipe.

 

“I…” Wendy started with hesitation. “I think I know how it feels. To have an irrational fear.”

 

Both of the older girls now gave their undivided attention, each looking at Wendy with slight worry etched on their faces. The youngest forcibly held back a nervous lump.

 

“In my dream, I mean… I felt it then.”

 

Wendy proceeded to tell her seniors everything she could remember. From the appearance of Taeyeon and the unfamiliar woman, to the ongoing war, and finally about defeating Kronos himself.

 

“Don’t say his name aloud,” Taeyeon grimly said. “Names carry power.”

 

Something urged Wendy to look around then, almost as if she felt another presence aside from them three. She frowned, there was nothing out of the ordinary and yet the feeling lingered.

 

"Come on," Jessica urged, eyes darting about, also suspicious. "Chiron would want to hear about this."






 

"The Titanomachy."

 

"Tita— what?" Now Wendy was actually pretty smart when she wanted to be, but that was just too much of a mouthful to say.

 

Chiron rubbed at his chin thoughtfully. "You dreamt of the great Titan War."

 

So Wendy's suspicions were correct. She wasn't overly familiar with history yet but she was pretty sure almost everyone knew about the war between the Titans and Olympians. How once upon a time, the Olympians took together to overthrow the tyranny of Kronos and the Titans allied with him.

 

Back then, Wendy originally thought it was just a story to teach everyone not to be too greedy. Turns out everything wasn’t as simple as it seemed.

 

"What does it mean though…" Taeyeon mindlessly thought aloud.

 

"Chiron, do you think—" Jessica hesitated, biting lightly on her lower lip before releasing it, "Is this possibly related to the prophecy?"

 

"I don't know.” The mentor kept his gaze at the window, contemplative. “But for now, the only thing you should be worried about is getting the two camps to cooperate," he said, practically dismissing the idea altogether.

 

The tension in the room rose tenfold. The Roman's jaw visibly stiffened, only relaxing when Taeyeon gently reached out for her hand, rubbing soothing circles on the back. They spoke wordlessly then, Taeyeon shook her head. Jessica sighed then nodded, agreeing to whatever silent discussion they just had. Taeyeon still had to let go.

 

"You're right," Jessica spoke to Chiron. "I apologize for bringing it up."

 

Wendy wanted so badly to ask about the prophecy. What did it say? What does it entail? And does she have anything to do with it? But after reading the room, she knew her questions would have no direct answers just yet.

 

"When do you have to go?" Taeyeon asked Jessica, redirecting the flow of conversation.

 

"In…" the blonde casually checked her watch, a dark gray spectacle that Wendy only noticed now, "an hour actually."

 

"What. Already?" Taeyeon practically whined.

 

The blonde, now fully facing the raven haired girl, smiled in an amused manner with her eyebrow hitched up.

 

"Why are you looking at me like that."

 

"Like what?" Taeyeon unintentionally (or not) jutted her bottom lip out.

 

"Like you're a puppy that I'm abandoning on the street or something." Jessica playfully flicked the other girl's forehead, Taeyeon pouting even more after. "I'm coming back in two weeks, pabo."

 

"I know. I'm still going to miss you anyway."

 

The admission brought out a blush from the normally icy Roman. Jessica herself looked away but without everyone else noticing the small smile she tried to hide.

 

“You’re such an idiot.”



 

Punctual as ever, the small group stood at the point where the magical barrier separated the camp from the mortal world. An Apollo girl by the name of Seulgi tended to the pegasus Jessica was taking with her to ride from Long Island and all the way back to Camp Jupiter in golden San Francisco.

 

The two training camps, Camp Halfblood and Camp Jupiter. The only two safest places on earth for demigods like her. The only difference between them being the lineage of a demigod child; Greek or Roman.

 

Neither side even knew o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter