Chapter 16

A Clumsy Proposal

Myung Soo's face lit up with a smile as soon as he entered the room where Eun Ae was preparing herself. He looked at her from head to toe, unable to turn his eyes away from her wedding dress as he took a step forward to reach her side. He cupped both of her cheeks to lift her face towards his. Then, he pecked her forehead lightly, and complimented her beauty: "you look gorgeous jagiya".

The look in her eyes told him that she was not as excited as him. The fact that there were many celebrities among their guests probably made her feel nervous. Or maybe was it the fact that they were about to commit themselves to marriage. He was uncertain of the reason for her stress, but he hoped for her to rejoice in every single second of their meaningul day. He leaned closer, his hands around her waist, to whisper comforting words to her ear. And she closed her eyes to better focus on his promise of a hopeful future.

She gazed into his eyes when he was done talking.

 

"You mustn't worry because today is our wedding day and I want you to look your best on photographs. You should smile throughout the ceremony, alright ? Here you are, looking good..." she said while lifting the corners of his mouth with her fingers to bring a smile on his face, "let's go get married now".

"You sure ?"

"I've never been so sure."

 

He felt relieved once she held his hand tightly while reaching for her bouquet with her other hand. For a slight second, he had feared that she might have had second thoughts. She had been happy these past weeks, perhaps thanks to his affection, but there was always a possibility of her feeling insecure now that it was their wedding day. Fortunately, the determination he read in her eyes made his pessimistic thoughts disappear.

 

They left the hotel room to meet their parents in the corridor. Their traditional Korean clothes suited them well. Their faces radiated with joy, which comforted him in his choice of spouse. He was oblivious as to why he had not developed feelings for Eun Ae earlier. Had he fallen in love with her a few years back, they would have been a married couple blessed with several children already. But it was not too late to live a lifetime of happiness with her.

All of them walked to the venue where guests were already enjoying the festivities thanks to cheerful hosts, who were no other than Infinite members. Myung Soo waved in their direction when they spotted him from afar. They nodded in understanding, and without further ado, the ceremony started with the announcement of the groom's entrance. He glanced at his bride before walking across the room to the platform where Infinite was standing, accompanied with warm applauses and cheers. The hosts  in front of the audience, mocking his elegant outfit, or pointing out the fact that they had never expected him to be the first married man among them. Then, the atmosphere became more solemn to welcome the bride's entrance. Her beauty was so captivating that guests were too admirative of her to applaud loudly. The long stares made her shy. A smile of delight appeared on the groom's face once she stood next to him, close enough for him to notice the redness of her cheeks.

Instead of opening the ceremony along the lines of the protocol, Sung Gyu leaned towards Eun Ae to convey his congratulations as well as reveal that he felt disappointed not to be her ultimate bias. A joke that Myung Soo endured for the only reason that it made his fiancée smile, but he shot an angry glare at his friend whose attention immediately turned to the speech.

 

The couple, who could not look away from each other throughout the ceremony, became ignorant to the surroundings and the crowd as they created their own world. They were living the moment with intensity. And when the time for the vows came, Myung Soo's eyes became wet with tears. One actually rolled down his cheek when he watched her place a ring on his finger, resulting in Infinite's joyful laughters. After the rings exchange came the awaited kiss, but as Myung Soo did not want their first kiss to happen in front of others, he pecked her forehead. Disappointed sighs came from the audience in response. Until Eun Ae pulled her husband's suit jacket to tug him closer. She had dreamed of his touch for so long that she was determined to take advantage of the situation to indulge in her own desires. Myung Soo looked at her with wide open eyes and a half-open mouth, but she did not take it into consideration and hurriedly pressed her lips onto his for a brief peck, backing away after a second. His heart became conscious of new sensations thanks to the feel of her lips on his. His eyes shone with passion as he encircled her in his arms and, before she could realize what was happening, he leaned down to take her lips again. His mouth moved slowly against hers, as though he was savoring her taste with a growing hunger. He was infatuated with her, and with the way she returned his kiss eagerly as their bodies touched ever so slightly. He wanted to kiss her forever, but their romantic scene was interrupted by the sound of Infinite clearing their throats in embarrassment. The feeling of loss overwhelmed Myung Soo when he let go of her lips. He did not have time to say a word that Sung Gyu came in between them while requesting guests to join the newlyweds for photographs.

 

Once the photoshoot session was over, Myung Soo settled down at a table with Infinite and Eun Ae. The latter and himself started eating in silence as their friends stared at them in awe. Perhaps they were waiting for the couple's romantic interactions, but Myung Soo felt too shy to even look at his bride. The situation made him realize that he had been wrong to think that marriage would not change much to their relationship. His heart was filled with warmth. It was a feeling that he had not experienced since his first concert and his first fan-meeting.

Eun Ae, however, did not seem to share his excitement. She did not look at Infinite, nor at Myung Soo, because her eyes were fixed on the plate of food in front of her.

 

"Is it good ?"

"Yeah." she replied, glancing at Myung Soo briefly.

"Can I try ?"

"Mmm..."

 

He was not satisfied when she placed a piece of meat on his plate. He pushed it aside with chopsticks and opened his mouth instead, motioning for her to feed him. Infinite looked on excitedly whilst Dong Woo threw his head back to laugh. Their enthusiasm enabled her to relax. Soon enough, she was actively participating in the conversation and appeared to be smiling with pure bliss whenever...

Myung Soo frowned when he understood that she smiled whenever she made eye contact with the group's leader. It was too much for him to handle. He did not want to admit that the person who had promised him unconditional love not long ago, was fangirling over her favorite singer during their wedding banquet.

 

"Yah!" the group was startled by his sudden outburst, but he paid no attention to their questioning looks and focused on his wife : "why are you smiling like that ? Are you an idiot ? Your husband is right here but you're drooling over another man !?"

Sung Gyu instantly got the hint. Deciding to tease the groom a little more, he stared at Eun Ae and said : "we can run away together if you're having regrets."

Everyone around the table was thrilled to see her blush, except for Myung Soo. "Hyung! What do you think you're doing ?" he cried, annoyed.

"Just lettin' her know I'm single if she's interested."

"Yeah, we all know Eun Ae likes Sung Gyu Hyung the most." Sung Yeol remarked, adding fuel to the fire for fun.

"That's right." Woo Hyun played along.

 

Myung Soo was even more upset after being pranked by his friends who seemed to truly enjoy themselves, and, in that moment, Eun Ae felt pleased too. That was until several pairs of eyes stared at her. Sung Gyu's gaze was hopeful as he waited for her to confirm that she liked him more than she liked her husband. On the other hand, Myung Soo was already sulking because he was sure that she would choose his friend over him. Her unspoken preference hurt him.

 

"I... honestly, I... I like Myung Soo Oppa more."

 

Her answer caused Sung Gyu to throw himself back on the chair as he feigned to be in pain, his face contorted in a grimace, and he held his chest to hide an invisible wound to his heart. In the meantime, Myung Soo pulled his wife into his side before he pressed a kiss on her cheek : "my Eun Ae can't love anyone but me", he spoke confidently.

 

This day was definitely one of the most memorable days of his life. Eun Ae discarded her crush on her favorite idol because she reciprocated his love with equal depth, they had shared their first kiss, and they were looking forward to a promising future. He felt like nothing could make him happier. Therefore, it was with a heart full of hope that he appreciated the rest of the festivities.

 

. . .

 

At the end of the day, he was quite drunk and had to be helped to the car. He dozed off during the ride, only to be awakened once the driver reached his residence. Eun Ae held his waist to help him up, and they walked together to the apartment, then into the bedroom where she managed to throw him on the bed before sitting beside him to catch her breath. He had her pinned under him in a split second. His arms encircled her waist, his head lay on her chest, and he weighed down on her. But she was too exhausted to push him back. She had done so many efforts to resist him lately that she wished to take advantage of his drunken state to remain in his arms for a while. She found solace in the cuddle, his hair to soothe him, and smiling to herself while feeling his breath become regular as he was falling asleep. But she unconsciously stopped her movements when she heard his unexpected request :

 

"Eun Ae-ah, promise me you'll always be my wife."