Chapter 19

A Clumsy Proposal

Eun Ae wished to relive the moment she had hurt Myung Soo in order to correct her behavior. She wanted to take back the words she had used to hurt him because she acknowledged that her reaction had been inappropriate. She had no regrets as to the way she had helped him in his time of need. In fact, she would undoubtedly help him in the same way if she were to go back in time, but her words had exceeded her thoughts. It had been a desperate attempt at protecting herself in the face of his romantic conduct. His words and gestures had a great impact on her, and in consequence, she struggled more and more to hide her interest in him. The truth was that she felt lost. She knew that she might lose her best friend if he did not share her feelings, but she was conscious of the limits of her ability to interact with him without letting her attraction show. 

She was unable to come up with a solution despite the long hours spent in the empty coffee shop, and her mood had not improved when she left the place. She walked in the direction of the nearest metro station so as to go back to the neighborhood where she now lived, wondering if her husband would welcome her nicely. One thing that she knew for sure was that she had to apologize to him, even if she did not have a proper excuse for her overreaction.

 

So engrossed in her worries, she did not see a young student in front of her and bumped into him. She apologized with a bow upon hearing him wince in pain, but he bowed too while arguing that she had not hurt him in any way. He explained that he had injured himself during a basketball match recently so his pain was not related to her. Eun Ae was worried though. She proposed to walk him to a bench so he could sit comfortably and take a look at his injury. The boy accepted, and it was only when she stepped towards him that she noticed the single red rose in his hand. He flashed her a shy smile while explaining that he was on his way to meet his girlfriend for their one hundredth day. She congratulated him, and held the precious flower while he crouched down to raise his trousers and examine his ankle. It was at this moment that the pleasant encounter was interrupted by a third person who violently snatched the rose from her hands.

 

"I don't know what you're doing with someone else's wife but you better show some respect, especially when you're still a student!"

 

Eun Ae watched in horror as Myung Soo threw the flower to the ground. The boy was too shocked to react, and Eun Ae ignored her husband to focus on him, taking some money from her purse to hand it to him as a sign of apology before leading her husband away. She threatened Myung Soo with a finger once they were out of sight.

 

"Are you crazy ?"

"You're crazy! What are you doing with this kid ?"

"I was helping him!"

"Helping ?" he scoffed in anger, "you think I'd believe that ? He was on his knees, he gave you a rose, he-"

"I helped him because he got hurt!"

He did not hear her but kept talking : "What's the point in preparing a surprise for you when you're so popular already ? I can't believe it! I bought so many things, I went over my proposal, but you already have a suitor. And what a suitor! He's much younger than you! And you're married for God's sake!"

 

Eun Ae's anger subsided as she listened to him. She was unable to resist the way he frowned while pouring out his feelings. He was obviously jealous of the fact that she had been talking to another man, although it had been a brief encounter, and she was not the rightful owner of the rose. She was troubled by his jealousy, as well as the mention of a surprise.

 

After she cupped his cheeks to prevent him from looking away from her, she asked : "what's the surprise for ?"

"I, I don't know!"

"Tell me."

"No, just forget about it. There's no surprise, I'm not doin' it anymore."

"Kim Myung Soo!" Eun Ae smiled in victory when she saw him pout. He had never liked the way she used his full name to scold him, and as expected, he confirmed that he had planned an event for her with the help of his friends. "And what's that I hear about a proposal ?" she asked again. She had a particularly good feeling about the surprise. Maybe, just maybe, the love she felt was not one-sided.

"I'll tell you at home."

"I'm not going anywhere unless you speak."

"But I've prepared so much!"

 

He pouted again, and she read through him in an instant. The look in his eyes, the way he flirted with her, and the meaning behind his acts suddenly became very clear. His love for her transpired through these small details, but it had gone unnoticed for long, and she wondered if her perception of their marriage was a result of a false belief. She craved for answers or rather, she needed to hear him admit that he returned her feelings. She could not wait any longer for another doubtful minute was a torture. She could care less that they should talk about feelings in the middle of the street, because she did not mind the situation. All she needed was him, his presence, his love.

 

"Tell me, please."

"But, I-"

"Fine, don't say anything." she crossed her arms on her chest before turning away from him. 3,2,1 she counted in her head, smiling to herself after Myung Soo caught her in a back hug.

He whispered: "let's go home first. The boys and I worked hard to prepare something for you, it'd be bad not to appreciate our efforts, right ?"

 

She did not need to hear more to confirm her suspicion. The man she loved reciprocated her feelings! She could finally revel in his affection. She decided to a little, with the aim to see his cute pout again: "oh, the boys helped you..." She marked a pause, and added: "Sung Gyu Oppa was here too ? How is he doing ?"

 

Myung Soo instantly let go of her and started walking away without a look back, he did not even answer the question, which made Eun Ae chuckle. She ran until she caught up to him. And, as she walked beside him, she concluded that she would never grow tired of her jealous husband's childish reactions.

 

. . .

 

The inside of the apartment was unrecognizable. Small lights, a few scented candles as well as pink roses were placed strategically, and balloons of pink and gold color were stuck to the ceiling with photographs hanging from the strings. Myung Soo remained silent as Eun Ae walked across the room to look at the pictorial tale of their relationship. Then, he walked up to her, holding her hand steady to his lips as he kissed her wedding ring. She glanced at their joint hands before setting her gaze on his face.

 

"This is my second proposal and first confession to you, Eun Ae. I want you to know our marriage isn't related to my career, or anything like that. That's why I'll propose again." he cupped her cheek with one hand, and continued : "Choi Eun Ae, I want to marry you because it means I'll get to live the rest of my life with you. I want to marry you because you're the best friend on whom I can always count. I want to marry you because we always learn from one another. I want to marry you because I want to kiss you every time I see you smile. And, last but not least, I want to marry you because..." he rested his forehead on hers while whispering : "I love you."

 

Eun Ae was enchanted by these three words. She loved him so much. If her younger self had been told that she would fall in love with her best friend, she would have laughed the possibility off. She remembered their unfortunate meeting clearly. She had been hostile towards the tutor hired by her parents, trying to distract him from his duties with untimely questions while Myung Soo, who was not a talkative person, had hated her guts. Strangely enough, they had formed a strong bond of friendship after getting to know each other. Their relationship had then evolved into marriage, and she wished for nothing more than to commit to a lifetime of happiness and love, so she replied : "I wanna marry you too."

He pecked her nose affectionately, and requested to hear her love confession. "I love you, Myung Soo Oppa." she spoke against his lips.

 

He did not waste more time and caught her lips with his. Her body tingled when he opened his mouth slightly. He slipped his hands around her waist to pull her in and kiss her passionately, exploring the inside of with his tongue. And she leaned into him, with her hands gripping his shoulders as she melted under his touch. She gasped into the kiss when his hands ventured down her body. She did not feel scared even though he was invading all her senses, on the contrary, she was aroused and determined to discover physical pleasures with him, for Myung Soo was the only one to whom she wanted to give herself.

She felt confident when she removed his shirt, pulling it over his head, before initiating another heated kiss. She let her hands roam his toned body. And her lust increased when he lifted her up to carry her to their newlywed bedroom.