Dulo

Four years, For now
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jimin would lie if she said that the stare Kim Minjeong is currently giving her doesn’t make her conscious. She might not be looking straight at the other girl but the burning stare of the girl doesn’t fail to make her feel embarrassed and tense. As if she doesn’t want to disappoint her.

“Do you want to go to the restroom, Yooji?” Her best friend, Aeri, teasingly asked, “You keep on wiggling like a damn worm.”

Jimin rolled her eyes, trying her best to ignore the continuous stare of a certain girl just a few tables away from them, “Shut up, Aeri.”

Aeri, however, decided to embarrass her best friend more, so she turned around and was about to call a certain blonde but got stop when Jimin kicked her shin hard making her yelp. Jimin ignored the hissing woman in front of her and looked up a bit to check if Minjeong saw any of that stupidity.

“Oh my god, that was painful!” Aeri grunted, still rubbing her sore leg, “Are you that scared to let her know what you really feel?”

Confused, Jimin faced her best friend, “What are you talking about?”

“C’mon, Yooji. Be honest with me.” Aeri stared at the president, “She’s been pursuing you for what? 3, 4 years? I’m sure you have some feelings for her as well.”

But Jimin being stubborn as she is shakes her head, her focus back on her plate, “I don’t. I’ve been telling her stop, you know. I’ve been rejecting her a million times already but she’s too stubborn to listen.”

“What if she’s not stubborn? What if when you told her the first time to stop she really did? What would you feel?” Aeri prodded, ignoring the sudden glare of her best friend, “Just be honest for once, Jiminie. You don’t want to lose her when it’s too late.”

Jimin didn’t answer with that. No, she couldn’t. Because what the hell would she say? She’s not even sure if she has some sort of romantic feelings for the girl. She’s not even sure if she’s capable of loving someone. She doesn’t know.

Her thoughts were stopped when she noticed the blonde and her best friend standing up from their seats. She followed the two with her eyes until they completely got out of the crowded cafeteria.

“Stop denying everything, Jimin.”

She’s not though. She’s just not sure of what she’s really feeling for the girl. Even after 4 longs years of knowing the girl, she can’t really pinpoint her feelings.

God, Kim Minjeong.

She shakes her head ignoring the serious glare of her best friend. She’s not in the right mind right now to have those unimportant thoughts. She already has a lot on her plate and adding another one on it is not really something she would want.

“Let’s go. We have a meeting with the chancellor about the university concert.”

Aeri knows what her best friend is doing. Ignoring the issue at hand to stop herself from overthinking. Jimin is someone who really hates overthinking but would do most of the times. And seeing the expression playing on the president’s face, Aeri is sure she’s already thinking things over.

So, she did what good best friends would usually do, distract your best friend, “O-kay! I heard some new band would perform on the concert, right?” She asked, slinging her arm around the president’s shoulder, “Have you met them already?”

Jimin gratefully looked at the half-Japanese, “Not yet and I don’t think we would though. I just heard they are a mix of juniors from different departments.”

“Why not?”

“They are not sure yet.”

Aeri shrugged, “Maybe they are still hesitant to perform at a large crowd.”

“That I’m not sure.”

 The two of them continue their way towards the principal’s office, sometimes greeting and smiling to their fellow students who greet them.

“Oh here you are.” The chancellor greeted them as soon as they entered the office, “Where are your other members?”

And as if on cue the rest of their members entered the room, bowing in respect to the head of the university before taking each of the empty seats around the table. Once they settled down, Jimin swiftly started their meeting.

“We’re going to have an open mic after the concert,” she says, just like what they talked about during one of their council meetings, “It doesn’t matter if they would sing, recite a poem, or just make shout out.”

The chancellor nodded, jotting down important notes on his small notebook, “Won’t it be chaotic?” He asked, looking up at the council president, “You know how university students acts, Jimin.”

Jimin nodded in understanding, “We’ll make sure it’ll be as peaceful as it can be, Sir. And also if anything happens, Hyunjin, Jisung and Felix will be there to assist.” She explains, glancing at the three guy members of the council.

“Alright, then.” The old man stood up smiling at the council members, “I think everything is settled now. You can just update me if there are any changes, okay? Just continue what you guys are doing until the big day. Good job, everyone.”

They all bowed down as the respected chancellor exits the room, some sighing in relief. They are mostly grateful that there are no major changes that they have to do in their project as most of them are already tired from the academics.

“We’re going to leave first, Pres. Gonna catch up with chem!” Jisu, their council secretary, says picking up her bag as she exits the room with her close friend, Yeji, the council treasurer.

The girls didn’t even bother waiting for her response and just run off. She could only shake her head as she looks at the remaining members.

“Don’t you have any classes?”

Hyunjin, one of the council peacemakers, shakes his head, “Nah, I’m just gonna do some rounds then I’ll be off.”

Jimin nodded then turns to look at the other two guys, “You?”

Jisung and Felix grinned, “We’re free all day!” The two simultaneously shouted.

Frowning at the loud boys, she turned to her best friend, “What?” Aeri asks, raising an eyebrow, “Oh, girl, we’re classmates.”

“Ah right.”

 

 

“Jimin!”

Jimin would’ve seriously run away if she could the moment she heard that familiar voice. But with her best friend’s tight grip on her arm stops her from doing so, so she turned around. Frowning immediately after meeting eyes with the other woman.

She crosses her arm against her chest, “What is it this time, Kim Minjeong?”

She tried to sound intimidating so the girl would hopefully stop already but all she got from the girl is damn heart eyes and a soft smile.

“I made you lunch.” The smaller girl waves a brown bag in front her which she assumes has a lunchbox inside, “You can share it with Aeri.” The girl added nodding at the presence of the half-Japanese.

And before she could even react the girl pushed the bag on her chest before running away.

“Yah! Kim Minjeong!” She tried shouting the girl’s name but seems like the girl doesn’t hear her.

“And now she’s giving you lunch, huh?” She heard her best friend’s teasing voice before it turns serious, “Why don’t you give the poor girl a chance, Yooji? She’s been genuine with her feelings for you the past years.”

Jimin’s eyes turns towards the brown bag on her hands, “I don’t like her like that.” She says, ignoring the disappointed eyes of the girl beside her.

“You really should stop denying your feelings.”

“I’m not denying anything, Aeri.” She forced her voice to sound hard, “Because I don’t have any feelings for her.”

Aeri shakes her head, still doubting the words coming out from her best friend. Because she’s damn sure that Yoo Jimin has feelings for Kim Minjeong. And Jimin just doesn’t realize it just yet.

“Whatever, let’s go.” Aeri muttered, before grabbing the packed lunch on her best friend’s grip, “I’m hungry with all the checking that we did.” She added, before strutting her way towards the council room.

When they entered the council room, some of their present members greeted the two of them before returning on their own task. They just greeted back with a short nod before walking straight to the huge table at the back part of the room with Aeri setting up the meal from Minjeong.

“I didn’t know she can cook.” Aeri says as she swallow her first bite, “And it’s really good, Yooji. Try it.”

Jimin stares at the lunchbox in front of her. All of the foods in front of her are her favorites which was prepared by the girl who has been pursuing her for the last four years of her life.

Albeit hesitant, she grabbed her chopstick and grabs a piece of tonkatsu. Her best friend‘s eyes is on her, eyeing her reaction about the food. 

“It’s good, right?” Aeri asked.

She nodded because honestly it’s really good. Much better than what she expected, so she took another piece and another until they finished everything. 

“Ah I’m so full.” Aeri mumbled as she rubs her stomach, eyes closed in satisfaction, “I should thank her. She saves me from spending money.”

Jimin raised an eyebrow, “I don’t see you as someone who really saves though.”

“Are we talking about clothes? If not, then I do.”

The taller could only shake her head at her best friend’s antics as she cleaned up their mess.

“Hey, do you think you can help me with Minjeong’s best friend?” Aeri suddenly asked stopping the council president from moving.

“Ning Yizhuo?”

Aeri nodded, the tips of her ears turning red, “I─yeah.”

Jimin laughed at her best friend’s blushing face, “Oh my god,” She grins, ignoring the glare of the girl in front of her, “God, you’re always confident, Aeri. I don’t think you need my help with that.”

“I am, but have you seen her?” The half-Japanese sat up straight, arms flailing as she explains, “She’s really confident. Much more than I am, and she’s really pretty. And loud. And I really like her, Yooji.”

“I thought you like the quiet ones like Hyunjin.”

“Hyunjin? Kim Hyunjin?”

Jimin nodded in confirmation, “Yeah, I thought you have a crush on her.”

“Hyunjin is never quiet though. She barks and growl.”

“But you have a crush on her.”

“I don’t?” Aeri says, her face disgusted at the thought of having a crush on her weird friend, “And Heejin would probably choke me if I do.”

“Jeon Heejin?”

“Yeah, they’ve been dating for the past year, Yooji.” Aeri rolled her eyes, “God, you don’t know anything about the people around you, huh?”

“With all the paper works I have, I don’t have time for that.”

“So, you didn’t know that Kim Minjeong joined the kendo club?”

Jimin turned around immediately making Aeri smirk, “She did?”

Aeri grinned, finding her best friend’s expression entertaining, “She did.” She confirmed, and the expression on her best friend is currently sporting makes her laugh hard.

“You’re kidding.”

“I’m not!” She retorted but she couldn’t stop laughing which makes the president to doubt her, “I’m serious, Yooji. They gave me the new list of trainees.”

“Why would they give you the list?”

Aeri frowned, groaning at her best friend, “Because I’m basically the council vice president?”

“Oh, sorry. I totally forgot that.”

Aeri shakes her head before standing up to get the paper on her table, “Here, you can check it if you want.” She says reaching out the list.

With a slight hesitation, Jimin grabbed the piece of paper on her best friend’s grip, scanning it carefully. Reading each name until her eyes stopped on the certain individual’s name.

Kim Minjeong

“Who’s their team captain?” She asked, eyes still not leaving the shorter girl’s name.

Aeri wanted to ask why Jimin is asking but answer nonetheless, “Jeno, I think.” She says, still observing her best friend.

Jimin nodded but doesn’t say anything else. She just put the paper down before walking out of their room.

Watching her best friend’s action confuses Aeri. She wants to know what the girl is thinking because sometimes, Jimin could act carelessly.

 

 

Jimin was on her way to meet Aeri when Minjeong stopped her, “Hey, wait.” Minjeong smiles, the usual one she gives the president, “Do you have something to do after class?” She asked.

“Why?” She sighed, knowing full well where this would lead them.

“I’m gonna take you out on a date.” The shorter lass grinned at her, as if she’s used with the endless rejection.

And the grin she’s showing the president doesn’t really help Jimin to reject the girl. She’s about to answer when she felt her phone vibrating against her palm, she checked it briefly and saw Aeri’s message rushing her.

“I have a meeting until 4.” She says, hopefully the girl would understand and get the message that she’s too busy.

“I’m gonna wait for you then.”

And that wasn’t what she was expecting but she’s too tired to argue and the repeating vibration of her phone sends her brain into short circuit.

“Suit yourself.”

She says before walking away. Away from the girl who confuses the hell out of her. Away from the girl who gives her warmth. But she’s Yoo Jimin. And she’s not just someone who would fall for anyone.

“Kim Minjeong!”

She tried to stop herself from turning around when she heard someone unfamiliar shouting Minjeong’s name. She tried, she really did but her curiosity is more than her self-control, so she did. She turned around and the view that immediately welcomes her makes her want to grab the blonde.

Away from that bean sized woman.

But then, who is she to stop them?

She’s been rejecting Kim Minjeong for 4 years.

So, before she could do something stupid she forces herself to walk away. Until she reaches the safeness of the council room.

Aeri saw the expression her best friend is sporting, the unusual troubled look. Jimin has always been composed and calm, but the deep frown visible on her face is something Aeri haven’t seen for so long.

That’s why before the rest of the council member could even notice the troubled president, Aeri pulled her at the back of the room. Hidden from the curious eyes of their members.

“What is it?”

“My─My chest hurts.” The president mumbled lowly, too soft that if Aeri is a foot away she would have a hard time hearing it.

Aeri watches how Jimin put her palm against her chest, tapping it gently. With worry, she grabbed a glass of water inside their small pantry before giving it to the upset president.

When Jimin finished the glass, she looked at her best friend, “I-I’m not sure why I feel like this, Aeri. I-My chest hurts and I feel upset for something I’m not sure.”

She’s clueless too, on why her best friend is currently acting like this. “What happened?” She questions.

But Jimin shakes her head, not really sure whether to tell the other girl what happened before she felt those questionable feelings.

“Alright. I won’t force you.” Aeri sighed, before pulling the girl into her embrace, “You can tell me when you’re ready.”

And when she calmed down, they started working on the rest of their projects before they go on their separate classes.

The professor is already discussing when she entered the room so she bowed down in respect before going on her seat ignoring the burning stare of a certain woman.

 

 

She’s busy listening to one of her members’ proposal when she felt her phone vibrating against her thigh. She discreetly opens her phone and saw a single message from Kim Minjeong telling her that she’s going to wait for at the field.

She doesn’t bother composing a reply because she’s sure the girl is already aware of how busy she is.

Once they finished their meeting, it’s already a few minutes past 4 and she’s already late with her meet up with Minjeong, so she put her things inside her bag in a rush. She rushed to give her best friend a goodbye hug before jogging her way towards the university field.

When she saw the girl seating on one of the benches with eyes closed, letting the sun kissing her skin softly. Jimin felt something weird but she doesn’t put any thought on it.

But she wouldn’t deny that Kim Minjeong is ing beautiful as of that moment.

She calm herself first before approaching the girl, “Hey, let’s go.”

And when Minjeong meet her eyes with a soft smile, Jimin swore she could feel her heart beating a hundred times faster. She’s just wasn’t sure why.

Jimin’s eyes followed as the girl grabbed her bag and walk towards her, “Do you want to eat first?”

She looked at girl, mentally scolding herself for staring before shrugging as if nothing weird is happening with her, “You were the one who asked me out, so you decide.”

“Uh I don’t have my car with me right now, is it okay to ride the bus?”

Jimin wanted to laugh when she saw the nervous look on the girl but stops herself, “Yeah.” She says.

They are just sitting quietly inside the bus when Minjeong muttered something that makes Jimin felt the familiar weird feelings in her chest, “You’re really beautiful.” Minjeong says before turning away.

Jimin stared at the girl beside her, questioning her silently. She’s the one who’s supposed to be shy not the other way around.

She just turned away when another sea of people entered the bus. She unconsciously pulled her skirt down, hiding her exposed legs against the prying eyes of the people.

And then the next thing she knew is Minjeong putting her jacket on her lap before asking her to guard her seat then making her way towards an old lady.

And when Minjeong returns, she told the old lady to take her seat. Jimin never met anyone as kind as the girl. She’s quite grateful she got to witness that.

Jimin maybe cold at times but when she saw Minjeong having a hard time balancing herself with her backpack on her, she grabbed the chance to be nice to the girl for once, “Give me your bag.”

“Why?”

“It’ll be easier for you to stand there without your bag.”

It should’ve been a normal exchange between friends if the old woman didn’t say anything about them being a cute couple.

And when Minjeong denied it something inside Jimin felt sad.

“Really? That’s a shame then. You would make a good couple.”

Maybe we really could.

 “Wear this. I’m fine, anyway.” Jimin tried giving the jacket back to the smaller girl when Minjeong held her on place, gripping her shoulder gently,

“You’re freaking wearing a damn skirt in this damn weather, so just wear that, okay?” Jimin noticed how soft Minjeong’s eyes as the latter stares at her, “I can see you shivering, so please.”

“Thank you.”

As they stroll the place looking for that delicious tteokbokki, Jimin felt scared for a moment. She hates crowded places, area where she could easily get lost and have nowhere to go. Especially with the continuous noise around her, so before she could stop herself she grabbed the smaller woman’s shirt.

Minjeong immediately turned around to face her after that, “What’s wrong?”

She tried avoiding the concern gaze of the girl, “I’m not familiar with the place and I don’t want to get lost.”

She saw the girl grinning, before removing her hold on the girl’s shirt, holding it firmly against her own, “As if I would let you get lost.”

Jimin doesn’t have really that much chance to be free. Free from her responsibility. Free from the pressure. Free from the usual perfect student everyone wanted to see. And having to experience it right now with a certain dork really makes her happy.

“Thank you.”

She says once they stopped in front of her house. And the grinned that the woman gave her makes the entire tiring walk they did worth it.

“You’re welcome.” Minjeong steps back, with her hands inside her pocket, “I’ll go once

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter