Through the mirror

The other side of the Mirror
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's a fact that in life you have to make sacrifices to get the things you want, but not everyone is willing to sacrifice to get them, due to fear, pride or stubbornness. Some people just let things happen on their own, let them unfold in their own way, without intervening in the process.

 

Lee Siyeon was part of this percentage who, for one reason or another, prefer to take the easy way out. She didn't like the complications, rather letting herself go than swimming against the current. Since she was a child, she let things happen as they were meant to happen, without intervening too much. She had grown up as a person of few words, lonely and easily to manipulate. Her parents had molded her as they had wanted, and she accepted it. After all, she had a life that many would envy. However, what she wanted most of all was to have a quiet life, and that was certainly impossible.

 

She had a happy childhood, full of luxuries and riches, servants and whims fulfilled here and there, because her family was well off; her father being a well-known producer and her mother a screenwriter. They had paid for her singing, dancing and acting lessons, when they noticed the talent she possessed at a very young age, until Siyeon became the great artist she was now.

 

However, not everything could be so perfect.

 

Her parents were superficial and strict. Once she grew old enough, she noticed the constant demands and restrictions that became more and more unbearable as the years went by. Socializing was always a difficult task, she could only relate to those who fit her parents' exaggeratedly materialistic standards, and to be honest, she didn't tend to like people who fit those standards.

 

«If they don't bring anything to your person, they're not worth having around.»

 

That's what it was all about, benefits. The people she was involved with had to have a good position in society, money and contacts, like politicians, other famous artists, prominent people, people with power. Otherwise, her family would not approve. That's why she didn't have many friends, only chatterboxes who wanted to get something from her, whether it was fame or money.

 

Kim Yoohyeon, her best friend, was the first exception.

 

She met Yoohyeon at a meeting her parents organized, where there were only wealthy people making deals with each other. At first, Siyeon thought Yoohyeon was a brainless model with a lust for fame and money, like all the ones her parents had introduced her to in the past, but it was a pleasant surprise to discover that the model was actually humble and nice. It didn't take long for them to become inseparable.

 

Yoohyeon was her only friend for several years until Kim Bora and Kim Minji came into her life. Two great actresses extremely adored by the public. Talented, charismatic and beautiful. From afar they seemed arrogant and proud, but upon meeting each other, Siyeon was glad she was wrong.

 

Kim Minji was not arrogant at all, on the contrary, she was extremely sweet and attentive, sometimes taking care of them as a mother. Though she was tender and spontaneous like a little girl, she was a mature woman with a lot of knowledge and experience. It was no surprise to find out that Yoohyeon had fallen in love with her soon after.

 

Kim Bora, on the other hand, was certainly a bit arrogant and rebellious. A woman full of self-love and very self-confident, something Siyeon found quite attractive when she first met her. More deeply, Bora was an excellent person, she liked to spend money on material things, but she also made donations. She valued what she had, she was fun, and she gave more importance to the people she loved than to money. Fame hadn't gone to her head and she proved it every time they went out together.

 

The more she got to know her, the more she liked her, and soon discovered that Bora felt the same way. So, the flirting and playful glances began, but Siyeon wasn't brave enough to cross that thin line that would take their friendship down a different path. So, she just let things keep going the same way.

 

Until they were involved in a scandal.

 

It had all been a misunderstanding. One out-of-context photograph, one easily misconstrued angle and then they were all over entertainment news articles. Bora's parents were trying to silence reporters to save their daughter's career, while Siyeon's parents were on the verge of a meltdown. Explaining to them that it was all a lie had not worked, mainly because they didn't believe her, and they didn't believe Bora either.

 

On the basis that Yoohyeon and Minji had made their relationship official weeks ago, there was nothing to convince the media that it was all a misunderstanding. And Siyeon's parents wanted to kill her... Until they realized they could make a profit.

 

And then, it happened. Her parents organized a dinner with Bora's parents and reached an agreement. To officially declare to the media that they were in a romantic relationship. They had not agreed at first, Bora because she was afraid of what would happen to their careers if they didn't get the same fate as their friends, and Siyeon because she was afraid of her own feelings for her. However, they both ended up doing what their parents wanted. Their respective agencies were not opposed.

 

The movement had not gone as badly as they had both hoped, much to their parents' relief. Suddenly, they were five times more famous than they had been the day before, and oddly enough, they were receiving support from the public and other artists, becoming one of the most beloved couples in entertainment. Proposals and contracts were pouring in, and their parents were happy to see that their strategy worked.

 

They, on the other hand, were uncomfortable. Though it was true that they secretly liked each other, they were in a relationship of convenience. It had been very quick and forced, so for a while their dealings were neutral behind the scenes, barely crossing a few words when they were alone. However, they couldn't keep their feelings on the sidelines for long, and Bora had plenty of courage to stick up for both of them.

 

It took time, but finally their parents accepted that their romance was real and not just a business. After all, the public loved to see them together and if they were happy too, they wouldn't object, much less if they benefited from that. So, all was at peace between the Kim and Lee families.

 

Their relationship was going great, they had everything they could want and their fans adored them. A few years went by and everything was going well... until their relationship went up a notch.

 

They got married abroad, which didn't take long to be known, making the media explode again. They had a nice vacation and then went back to Korea, deciding to take a few more months for themselves. They bought a house in Seoul and moved in together. Things got a little complicated there.

 

Living together wasn't the problem, their relationship was definitely working very well. Bora was everything Siyeon could wish for, she couldn't feel luckier about the wife she had. However, Siyeon had never had a partner before, Bora was her first, in addition to the fact that her parents had raised her in an unhealthy way, so the older girl totally understood that sometimes Siyeon would mess up because of her lack of experience. In general, Siyeon was sweet and cared a lot about her, sometimes too much, but when jealousy kicked in... things got complicated.

 

And that used to happen often since they got married.

 

"Would you stop doing that?" the blonde complained from the kitchen, as she was chopping vegetables for lunch.

 

"Stop doing what?" replied Siyeon with a frown, sitting on a chair in front of the kitchen counter, and seemingly focused on her cell phone.

 

But Bora knew her too well to buy that.

 

"That behavior. You're upset and doing everything you can to make me notice it, even though I already know".

 

Siyeon grimaced, putting aside her phone.

 

She was reserved, when she felt bad or was angry about something, she didn't talk about it, even though she couldn't help but show it with her actions. Bora was the opposite; if something bothered her, she would say so immediately, because she didn't like to keep things to herself. Besides, Bora didn't usually get angry with her, but when she did... Siyeon had no choice but to give up.

 

Today, however, was different, because it was her birthday. And Siyeon was so angry that she didn't plan on giving in this time.

 

"So, am I the one doing something wrong?" a small spark of irony marked in her voice.

 

The tapping of the knife against the wooden board stopped. Bora let go of the knife and stared at her. Siyeon had to press her lips together to keep from reacting. It wasn't that she was afraid of her wife, but one single stare from Bora was enough to intimidate her.

 

"What are you trying to say with that?" her voice expressed indignation and her eyes had darkened.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter