- Early Evening

Family [not finished! more chapters to come]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It could be an ordinary evening at Lee Family’s house. Dinner is almost ready. On the stove, vegetables are sizzling and a smell of fish fills the kitchen. When Hanna walks into the room, the table is already set for four.

Her heart flutters. “He has arrived, hasn’t he?” she exclaims, her voice tone raising with excitement. “Why didn’t you call me?”

“Your brother isn’t here, yet,” her mother calmly answers, reaching the table and starting to fill the plates. “He’ll arrive late. He called saying to eat without him.”

Hanna’s excitement deflates like a balloon. “He’s already away most of the time. Can’t they at least let him out on time?” she huffs, pouting her lips. “Why did you set the table for four, then?” she then inquires, but, right in that moment, her ears catch on two approaching voices. After a moment, her father walks into the kitchen, followed by a familiar face.

“We have a guest,” her father announces, smiling.

Behind him, Jiyong appears on the door with a gentle nod. He greets her without smiling and she’s shocked to see she can’t read anything in his eyes.

It’s been a long time since Hanna last saw Jiyong. She wouldn’t even know since when. Maybe, before the ‘great disaster’ (as she calls it in her mind) happened. The first thought that crosses her mind is that she remembered him younger. He’s wearing a pair of shorts which leave his thighs partly uncovered and a black cap, but he looks older and more tired without a smile on his face. Perhaps, BIGBANG is truly over, she thinks, the thought of a moment.

“I don’t want to bother you,” Jiyong is saying. His voice is still beautiful. Hanna has always liked Jiyong’s voice.

“You’re not bothering us at all,” her mother immediately answers, serving dinner. “In fact, I cooked for four people, and since my son is not there yet, it’s perfect if you stay.”

“Thank you,” Jiyong answers, sitting at the table as soon as appa-Lee invites him with a nod. Jiyong moves with caution, not like someone who feels uncomfortable, but like someone dragging a grey cloud of sadness around.

Hanna helps her mother to serve drinks, then sits down as well. She sits exactly in front of Jiyong.

“You were hoping to find him here, weren’t you?” her father is asking. Jiyong nods.

“He should’ve arrived earlier, but, apparently, they didn’t let them go on time. He was still halfway here when he called. He said that he would stop to eat with some fellow soldiers, but, if you like, you can stay and wait for him,” her mother explains with a kind tone. 

“Will he come back late? I don’t want to bother,” is Jiyong’s answer, as he accepts a bit of wine.

“It’s okay, really,” smiles mama-Lee.

While her parents engage a conversation with the guest, Hanna observes Jiyong from the other side of the table with such a curious gaze it seems the first time she sees him. She follows his mouth while he chews, she follows his slightly crooked fingers, she follows the edges of the tattoo of the angel on his neck.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter