Hongjoong is Short…bread

Welcome to *reads hands* the Cookie Club?

Yoongi was doing homework in his room, grumbling in frustration at the stupid math problem in front of him. Honestly, why was math still a requirement in college? Why pay for classes that you aren’t going to use anyways?

 

He was checking the clock in his room for the fourth time in five minutes when he heard a knock on the door, startling him at first but was clearly a blessing in disguise. 

 

Yoongi got up from his desk and trudged his way towards the door, ignoring how his socks got wet from the ice cube he dropped on the floor earlier that must have melted already, and opened it to reveal Hoseok on the other side, giving him a wave. 

 

“Hey, Yoongi, I miss you!” Hoseok said. “What are you doing, are you busy? Namjoon said he was busy studying.”

 

Technically Yoongi was also studying as well, but Hoseok didn’t need to know that. “I was doing nothing,” he lied, scratching the back of his ear. Hopefully Hoseok didn’t question him, he always liked to ask questions. “I was just ing around on Twitter, you know, the usual.”

 

Hoseok nodded rapidly. “Yeah, I get it, like just today, I saw a picture of a cool cat- actually, let me show you the cat,” he said, taking out his phone. “It was amazing.”

 

Yoongi’s eyes went wide at the mention of cats. He loved cats, he had always dreamed of marrying Hoseok and them adopting five cats together. “How dare you not send it to me when you first saw it.”

 

“I thought you were busy and I didn’t want to bother you,” Hoseok said, shrugging. “Ah! Look at him!” He showed the screen to Yoongi. “A light brown cat with cute black dots all over him, he looks like a cookie!” 

 

“He kind of does,” Yoongi admitted. “But chocolate chip is too weird for me.”

 

Hoseok shook his head, waving him off. “No, no, you are wrong,” he said in English. Then, in Korean he said “You just haven’t had good cookies yet.”

 

“Well, that’s the point of the Cookie Club, I guess,” Yoongi said. “Make cookies. Try cookies. Die from cookies.”

 

Hoseok sighed. “If only we could destroy the government while eating cookies- oh, they said the new meeting is tomorrow, right?” he asked Yoongi. “Yesterday was just an explanation, we’re having a meeting every Thursday.” 

 

Dang it. If the Cookie Club meeting was tomorrow, then that meant that Yoongi had to finish all his homework tonight, since a lot of it was due on Thursday at midnight. “Well, we shouldn’t miss the meeting,” he said, glad that he and Hoseok went together. “We need some cookies, after all.”
 


***

 

“Did you really have to make the meetings Thursday?” Seonghwa was bugging Hongjoong later that evening. “That’s not fair, you know I have an internship during that time.”

 

Hongjoong rolled his eyes, taking another sip of his caramel latte. Seonghwa was always inviting him to random places in the city to eat, but he often brought him here to this cafe close to campus, claiming that he didn’t drink at least one of their cappuccinos a day, he would die. Not that Hongjoong cared if this idiot playboy died or not, but Seonghwa did have a lot of cash thanks to his parents, so Hongjoong was basically getting free coffee. Can’t say no to that. 

 

The cafe was about to close soon, so it was pretty empty, saved by a group of writers at the corner, empty coffee drinks scattered next to their laptops. He was pretty sure one of the girls was half dead. Other than them and the staff, it was just Hongjoong and Seonghwa alone.

 

“You’re probably one of the only rich kids who actually like business like his parents,” Hongjoong said. “What was it that you wanted to do again?”

 

Seonghwa rolled his eyes, grinning. “I’m majoring in Business Administration,” he explained again. “As for a specific position, I don’t know, maybe a marketing executive.”

 

Hongjoong made a disgusted face. “Sorry, I forgot that the true rivals between college students are business majors and everyone else,” he said, taking another sip of his latte. “Damn, this really hits the spot.”

 

“Aren’t you some complicated science major?” Seonghwa asked him, even though he knew the answer by heart: Biochemistry major with a minor in English, planning to become a toxicologist. He just liked teasing with him. “Like engineering or something?”

 

“Biochemical engineer? That’s Jongho, idiot.” Hongjoong slapped Seonghwa’s arm twice. “I already told you I’m a biochemistry major-”

 

“HONGJOONG!!” The two of them turned to the front door of the cafe, where San was bursting through the double doors. “WHERE ARE YOU-”

 

Hongjoong covered his face with his hands and laid his head on the table. “God, I hate San sometimes,” he mumbled.

 

San must've noticed them pretty quick, as he was now walking towards Seonghwa, waving. “Hey, Seonghwa, I didn’t know you invited Hongjoong here again.”

 

“Why not? He’s the love of my life,” he joked (well, that’s what Hongjoong thought.) “Might order another cappuccino, though.”

 

“Ah, to be addicted to caffeine, god to love how fragile humanity is,” San agreed. He held out his hand. “I’ll buy you it if you also let me buy a white chocolate mocha with extra whip cream and-”

 

“Don’t give me your order, do I look like a hot barista?” Seonghwa took out his wallet and gave San two ten thousand won notes. “Go crazy, I don’t care.”

 

“YES, THANKS, SEONGHWA!” With that, San marched his way towards the counter, where the real hot barista was already preparing something. “Hello, I would like to buy something today.”

 

The barista, with the name tag Wooyoung, raised an eye at him. “Uh, okay, what would you like today?” he said. 

 

“Oh, yeah, that, uh, just give me another cappuccino and can I have a large white chocolate mocha with extra whip cream and chocolate syrup on top?” he recited from memory. “Make it as sweet as possible.”

 

The barista Wooyoung nodded, typing in some numbers to the register. “Your total will be 11,300 won,” he said. 

 

San gleefully handed the notes to Wooyoung. “Thank you kind sir, I should forever be in your graces.”

 

Wooyoung raised his eye again but didn’t say anything, moving away from the register. “Hyojong! Stop texting Hyuna and come here and make a cappuccino.”

 

Another barista came back from the backdoor, grumbling. “I was texting Hui , thank you very much, he’s been complaining about his sore throat,” he said. “Chanwoo already left, anyways.”

 

While the two made the order, San looked at the displays they had. There were lots of sweets on the display, from muffins and scones to small slices of cheesecake. There were even sandwiches and wraps too, though the case was looking pretty empty, since it was the end of the day, after all. 

 

There was one display that caught his eye, though. It was a tiny cookie display that showcased different types of cookies. Most of the chocolate chip and macadamia nut were gone, but there were still a handful of other flavors leftover. 

 

Speaking of cookies, San had to think of what cookies they had to make for the club tomorrow. Chocolate chip? Peanut butter? He didn’t know what the newcomers liked. 

 

The barista Hyojong set the cappuccino on the counter. “Cappuccino is ready,” he said, before stepping out from behind the counter. “Wooyoung, I’m flipping the sign, store’s close!”

 

“Got it!” Wooyoung shouted back, finishing the white mocha. “Here you go, enjoy your drink,” he said to San. 

 

“Wait, is it too late to buy those cookies?” he said, pointing at the display. “I need to buy a lot for a meeting tomorrow.”

 

“Uh… to be honest, those are supposed to be thrown out, they’ve been out all day and it’s protocol,” Wooyoung said. “I can’t sell them anymore.”

 

San pouted. “Dang it,” he muttered, grabbing the drinks. “At least I bought these drinks in time.”

 

“Wooyoung, just give him the cookies for free, it’s not like you're going to eat them,” Hyojong said, stepping back behind the counter again. “Then if he dies, that’s not our fault.”

 

“I ate the whoopie pies the other day, mind you,” Wooyoung argued with him. “Plus, don’t you always take them?”

 

“Hyuna and Hui are still sick, they barely even eat soup,” Hyojong explained. “Sir, just have the cookies and don’t sue us, Chanwoo would beat my .”

 

“And mine,” Wooyoung muttered, grabbing the tongs and a paper bag to put the cookies in. “If we get in trouble, it’s your fault.”

 

“Oh, these are just going to be for the Cookie Club,” San explained. “We give cookies to students and teach them how to make cookies, so I always have to buy cookies.”

 

Hyojong made a mischievous grin. “Oh, Wooyoung can join you guys, he’s really good at baking cookies-”

 

Wooyoung shoved a cookie in Hyojong’s throat before setting the bag on the counter for San. “Here you go,” he said. “They’re mainly shortbread cookies in there.”

 

“A cookie is a cookie,” San said, turning around to scream at Hongjoong. “HONGJOONG! LOOK AT THESE SHORTBREAD, THEY’RE AS SHORT AS YOU!”

 

Hongjoong gave him a dirty look. “ExCUSE ME-”

 


***

The first official Cookie Club meeting on Thursday was a bit tense, in Yuto’s opinion. 

 

They didn’t have to cooperate for supplies yet, as the two leaders still didn’t decide on how to run stuff, so they brought in all the ingredients for them to use today. 

 

Contrary to popular belief, they did not start with the all famous chocolate chip cookie, no, they started with shortbread cookies for today. 

 

“Today we are going to be following a very secret recipe,” San was telling the group. “It’s really secretive-”

 

“It’s Food Network, the first result you get when you search up shortbread cookies-”

 

“HONGJOONG! Now is not the time for your input,” San reminded him. “But anyways, first you’re going to mix the butter and the sugar-”

 

“1 cup?” Si Cheng asked. “Am I reading the board right? Doesn’t that sound like a bit much?”

 

Hongjoong shook his head. “You’ll be surprised how much sugar is used in desserts,” he said. “Plus, this recipe makes around twenty cookies, so it’s not that bad."

 

Yuto tried not to think about how much cake he ate earlier today at the dining hall.

 

He felt someone tap his shoulder, so he turned and saw the guy Kino. “Have you ever tried shortbread?” he asked him. “I don’t think I’ve ever had it.”

 

Yuto doesn’t even know what a shortbread cookie is, but it’s a cookie, it can’t be that bad. “To be honest, no,” he admitted. “But I think it’s like a sugar cookie? I don’t know.”

 

Some guy at the front, the one who was called a last time (or hoe? Was he called a hoe? Yuto doesn’t remember either - he had bad memory problems, as Yanan liked to say) spoke up. “Why is there chocolate listed as one of the ingredients?”

 

“I don’t know, let’s find out!” San said. “Thank god this recipe is short, though, like Hongjoong over here-”

 

“If you call me short one more time, I won’t hesitate to beat your ,” Hongjoong said. 

 

“Short short short- OW! WHY DID YOU THROW THAT WHISK AT ME?!”
 

Hongjoong turned his attention back to the bowl in front of him. “So we are going to mix the sugar and butter together- SAN!” he turned to face San, who had thrown a wooden spoon at him. “Don’t make me fight you here in front of everyone.”

 

A guy up in the front, the other Japanese in the room, took out his phone. “Tell me when you guys are going to fight so that I can record.”

 

“Oh come on, they’re not going to fight,” another guy, Hanbin, said. “The oven is on, they’ll burn down the building if they do-”

 

San grabbed the bag of flour that was in front of him and Hongjoong along with a measuring cup. “I have a weapon,” he threatened. “You don’t want to get messy, do you? Seonghwa invited you to the cafe again-”

 

“I don’t like that idiot,” Hongjoong said, grabbing the bag of sugar and a spoon. “Don’t you dare throw that flour at me-”

 

San scooped out a cup of flour and inched closer to Hongjoong. “Remember when you stole my Hersheys yesterday, huh? And I said you were going to pay back for it?”

 

“I LITERALLY PAID YOU BACK BY GIVING YOU A DOLLAR BILL!” Hongjoong shrieked, which proved to be useless as he was soon covered in flour.

 

And a chaos was about to follow.