Chapter I

Irene and Wendy

Irene is sitting beside the hospital bed, a hand secured tightly on both of her hands while her forehead rested on the joint hands.

The door opened and Irene felt a hand on her shoulder.

“Unnie, are you sure you’ll stay the night here? You still have a schedule tomorrow. I can look after Wendy unnie tonight. You should rest.”

Irene shook her head.

“I’ll…” Irene cleared , not wanting her cracked voice to be heard. “I’ll stay here with Seungwan. You go ahead with Seul and Yerim. I’ll keep you guys updated.”

Joy looked at the still figure on the bed and clenched her fist, anger coming back. She took a deep breath to control her emotions, knowing that it won’t help anyway. She walked towards the girl lying on the bed and left a peck on the latter’s forehead. “Get well, unnie.” She whispered.

“You’ll be okay here, unnie?” Joy then asked the older girl though she already knows the answer.

Inspite of the obvious, Irene nodded.

Joy sighed and nodded, acknowledging Irene’s answer. She moved to leave the room but looks back to Irene once more before opening the door.

“Unnie?”

Irene looks back at Joy, waiting.

“I know you’re trying to be strong, especially for the four of us. But it’s okay to cry. Wendy unnie said that before.”

Irene swallows the lump on before forcing a smile. “Thanks, Sooyoung-ah. Be careful on the way home.”

Joy nodded silently and left the room.

Irene found the courage to look at Wendy’s face but as soon as she does, the fear and the pain she felt earlier comes back like a flash and soon, she can’t help but let her tears fall. Her hold on Wendy’s hand tightened. She blames the broadcasting station, she blames the staff, but most importantly, she blames herself.

‘If only I was there.’

 

It was chaos.

The four members of Red velvet were in the dressing room, waiting for their turn to rehearse, when they heard a commotion outside.

“I wonder what’s happening?” Yeri asked to no one in particular.

Like an answer, the phone of their manager oppa rang which the man answered immediately.

“What?? How- where is she?? Is she okay??”

The girls heard the obvious worry in their manager’s voice.

“Oppa, what-“

“Girls, we- we need to go.” The man answered as soon as he dropped the call.

“Go? Where?” Joy asked.

“Wendy. She had an accident.”

Just like that, Irene felt her world crashing down. Fear and panicked rushed inside her that her knees gave in and she collapsed on the floor. She didn’t know who helped her get back on her feet and where she finds the strength to stand and run outside to where Wendy is, all the while trying hard not to think negatively.

‘Please, please be okay, Seungwan-ah. Please.’

 

They arrived at the scene in time to see Wendy being lifted into a stretcher.

“Unnie!”

Joy was the fastest to reach Wendy and instantly became a crying mess. “Unnie…”

“Seungwan-ah.” Seulgi called out, also in tears, as she pats Joy’s back comfortingly. Yeri was beside her two unnies as well.

Irene didn’t hear Wendy answer and it worries her. So despite her shaking legs, she walks slowly towards Wendy and regretted it the second she spotted the latter.

Irene’s breath hitched; fist tightly clenched to prevent herself from breaking down as she sees Wendy’s condition. Oh, how Irene wished to forget that image in her mind.

The blonde girl has her eyes tightly shut, and all they can hear from her are groans of pain while there were visible tears forming on the corner of her eyes. But despite being in pain, Wendy is still holding tightly on the microphone in her hand.

This whole scene in front of her pains Irene. She wanted to cry but knows that she has to be strong. She has to be strong for her members who are all already crying, and she has to be strong especially for Wendy who was almost fighting for her life. She wants to hold Wendy and tell her that she will be fine, she wants to hug the younger and tell her ‘I’m here, Seungwan-ah. I’m just here.’”

But in the end, as much as it hurts Irene, she can only watch Wendy groaning in pain, afraid that she’ll touch an injured part and will only make it worse for Wendy.

 

Wendy was given analgesics as soon as they arrived at the hospital. The members and their managers listened as the doctor explained the severity of the injuries and how it will all take too long to heal.

“But she’ll be okay, right?” Seulgi asked.

“She will. Although it’s a long process and it’ll be painful for her.”

“This is unfair!” Joy exclaimed as soon as the doctor left the room. She was furious. “What were they doing? How can they let this happened? Urgh! This is unacceptable, oppa!”

Nobody answered because deep inside, all of them were thinking the same thing.

Few minutes passed and they heard Wendy groaned. They all looked at the injured girl and the latter has her eyes finally open.

“Unnie!” As usual, Joy was the fastest. She was at Wendy’s side in an instant. “Are you okay? Where does it hurt?”

Wendy gave a small smile seeing her members in tears. “Stop crying guys, I’m fine.” Wendy managed to answer despite obviously being in pain.

This is all too much for Irene so being careful not to be noticed, she silently went out of the room where she finally let out the breath she’s holding.

Irene didn’t know how long she has been sitting on an empty bench when a cold drink was placed in her hand.

“Here you are, unnie.” Seulgi sat beside Irene.

“Is Seungwan-“ The image of Wendy being in pain flashed thru Irene so she shut her eyes and gently shakes her head, trying to erase the memory in her head. “Is Seungwan okay now?”

“The doctor gave her strong painkillers. She’s asleep now and would probably wake up tomorrow.”

Irene just nodded at the information, taking a sip of the soda in her hand.

Seulgi didn’t miss how Irene’s hand was shaking.

“Seungwan was looking for you, you know.” Seulgi said. “She’s worried you might not be feeling okay.”

Irene sighed. ‘Typical Seungwan. Always thinking about others first.’

“Why did you leave, unnie?”

“I can’t…” Irene tried so hard to keep the tears in bay. “I can’t see her that way, Seulgi. It- it hurts me to see her in pain.”

Seulgi understands. Irene has always been their caring leader. She cares for all the members but it can’t be denied that Irene has a soft spot for Wendy. Seulgi didn’t know the real nature of relationship between her two members. Just last year, these two were on a no-speaking term for almost a month then suddenly, they became all clingy and mushy with each other. For Seulgi, Irene and Wendy's relationship are like that of a married couple. She didn’t know how her two friends really feel for each other but everyone can tell that Wendy has a special place in Irene’s heart, and vice versa.

“She needs you, unnie. She may not say it directly but the way she was looking for you earlier,” Seulgi smiled. “You know you’re her primary source of strength, unnie.”

Irene didn’t answer but the grip on her soda can tightened.

Just then, Seulgi’s phone vibrated and she read the message.

“Let’s go, unnie? Manager oppa is looking for us.” Seulgi said as she placed her phone back to her pocket. “Sooyoung volunteered to stay the night here, at least until eomoni arrived tomorrow morning.”

“I’ll stay.”

“Nae?”

“Go back to the dorm with the girls. I’ll look after Seungwan tonight.”

“But you still have a schedule tomorrow, unnie.”

“I wouldn’t be able to rest at the dorm anyway.” Irene answered as she stood. “I want to stay here with Seungwan. You guys go ahead.”

That’s how Irene found herself beside Wendy’s bed, holding the latter’s hand tightly.

“I’m sorry, Seungwan-ah.” Irene whispered as she finally let her tears out. “I should have been there. I should have watched over you. I’m sorry, Seungwan-ah. Please be okay, please get well soon.”

 

The following days proved how severe Wendy’s injuries were. She underwent operations for her jaw and pelvis, her one arm is in a cast, and even with only small movements, Wendy will already be in pain. She can’t even eat real foods yet and was only allowed to have liquids as her jaw is still swelling.

Despite that, Wendy still smiles and talks a lot. She was so happy when her parents arrived that she can’t stop herself from smiling though her jaw hurts already.

The members keep visiting her from time to time. Just like today, the members are gathered inside Wendy’s hospital room to watch Irene emceed KBS Gayo Daechukje. Joy immediately came too after her performance. As much as Irene want to stay with her members, she knew she can’t back out because it would be unprofessional and she knows that Wendy wouldn’t like it. So, with a heavy heart, she proceeded with her schedule.

Irene was doing great until a VCR was played and Wendy was shown at the screen. Irene can feel the tears coming as she watched Wendy through the monitor but she knows she have to hold it in, for Wendy. Fortunately, and because Irene have already been used to it, she managed to control her tears and finished the program successfully.

It was past midnight when she arrived at the hospital. On the way to Wendy’s room, she bumped into Wendy’s mom.

“Oh, Joohyun. You’re here.” The kind woman greeted her with a hug. “The others have left though.”

Irene nodded at this. “It’s alright, eomoni. Seulgi texted me. I just want to visit Seungwan before I went back to the dorm. Is she sleeping already?”

Wendy’s mother smiled and shook her head. “She said she’s still not sleepy but I think she’s somehow expecting you’ll drop by.”

Irene smiles at the answer.

“Go on then. I’m sure she’s waiting for you. We’ll just be at the cafeteria in case you need something.”

Irene nodded. “Thank you, eomoni.”

 

“Oh, unnie!” Wendy beamed as Irene opens the door.

“Hey.” Irene smiled as she walks towards Wendy’s bed and sat beside the girl.

“Are you okay, unnie? You look tired.” Wendy frowned. “Why don’t you take a nap here first?”

Wendy started moving carefully to make a space for Irene when the older girl held her arm to stop her from moving.

“Unnie, wh-“

Wendy was not able to finish her question when Irene engulfed her in a tight embrace. Despite being surprised for a moment, Wendy smiled and returned the hug as tightly as her injured body can deliver.

“Is everything okay, unnie?” Wendy asked when Irene didn’t say a word, mindlessly patting the older girl’s back in the process. “Are you alright?”

“I should be the one asking you that, Seungwan-ah.” Irene tightened her arms around Wendy one more time before slowly letting go of the hug. She caressed Wendy’s hair. “How are you feeling, Seungwan? Are you okay? Are you in pain?”

Wendy smiled at the sweet gesture. “I’m good, unnie. But now that you’re here, I’m feeling great!”

“Still as greasy as ever, I see.” Irene commented with a light grin.

Wendy gave a sincere smile. “You know I meant it, unnie.”

“Yeah. I do.”

“So, uhm…” Wendy cleared . “How are you and the girls? I heard that your practice hours doubled to make up for my absence.” Wendy sighed. “I should have been careful, unnie. I’m sor-“

“Don’t, Seungwan-ah.” Irene interrupted. “It’s not your fault.”

“But I screw up our comeback.” Wendy lowered her head.

“Hey, don’t say that.” Irene tugged Wendy’s hand to make the latter face her. “You didn’t screw up anything. None of this was your fault, okay?”

Wendy gave a short nod.

“And besides, we’ll have more comebacks and promotions to do in the future. So don’t beat yourself up to it and don’t worry about us. Just take a rest and focus on getting better. But don’t push yourself too hard, Seungwan. I know you.”

“But-“

“We will all patiently wait for you, Seungwan-ah.” Irene interrupted, knowing what Wendy is thinking. “The fans will wait, the members will wait, and-“

Irene stopped mid-sentence and without thinking twice, she leaned in and planted a soft kiss on Wendy’s lower cheek, specifically, on the spot just beside the younger girl’s lips. “I’ll wait for you, Seungwan-ah.”

For a moment, no one said a word. Wendy was too stunned; she practically felt the corner of Irene’s lips brushed her own. On the other hand, Irene suddenly became shy of her actions. Luckily, the door opened revealing one of their managers.

“Hi, Wendy. How are you today?”

“Oh, oppa! I’m uh,” Wendy cleared . “I’m good.”

“That’s good to hear.” The manager commented before approaching Irene. “You’re good to go, Irene? It’s pretty late now.”

“Oh uhm, yeah, let’s go, oppa.” Irene faced Wendy and pats the younger’s head. “Goodnight, Seungwan. Take a good rest, hm? I’ll see you again tomorrow.”

“Y-yes, unnie. You too.”

As soon as Irene closed the door, Wendy put a hand on her chest as she can feel her heart beating fast. ‘Did- Did Joohyun unnie almost kissed me? Or… not? Yeah, maybe it was just an accident.’

Little did Wendy know, Irene was blushing just as hard when she left.

‘Urgh, Get a grip, Joohyun. She’s injured for goodness sake.’ Irene sighed, because deep inside her, she knows it was an intentional kiss.

 

Irene and Wendy didn’t talk about the near kiss after that day. Wendy thought that it was just a simple accident on Irene’s part while the latter felt like there’s a right time to talk about it, at least not now when Wendy is still in the hospital and is recovering from her operations.

Nearly two months have passed and Wendy is still in the hospital. But within a week, she will finally be discharged, much to the excitement of Wendy. However, being discharged is just the start of Wendy’s road to recovery. When the doctor said before that it will be a long process, the members realized that indeed, Wendy’s injuries will take long to recover. So, it was decided that while Wendy is recovering, she will stay at her family’s newly brought house in Korea. It was a bittersweet moment for Wendy. She was sad that she won’t be able to participate in their group’s promotions and concerts and that she’ll have to leave their dorm for the meantime, but at the same time, she was ecstatic that finally after 6 years, she got to be with her family.

Irene and Seulgi were currently at Wendy’s room of their dorm, packing some of the younger’s things and clothes. Seulgi noticed Irene’s unusual quietness the moment they started packing. She herself was quite sad as well, since she’s not used to Wendy not being there, but Seulgi knows that Irene took it the hardest.

“Unnie, are you okay?” Seulgi finally decided to ask.

“Oh, uh, yeah.”

“Unnie, I’m not Seungwan but you know you can tell me anything, right?”

“Wha- Seulgi, that’s not what I-“

“Relax, unnie.” Seulgi chuckled. “I don’t mean anything bad by that. I mean, we know that Seungwan is your to-go person. And it’s fine. Cause to be honest, I think that’s what Seungwan is to all of us. She’s our to-go-to person.”

Irene smiled at that. Indeed, that's what Wendy is to all the members.

But upon remembering Wendy, Irene sighed. “It’s just that… I felt that everything’s changing, you know? The two of us will form a unit,” Irene is not against the idea of them debuting as a duo. But somehow, she felt it wasn’t right. She felt it’s as if they’re leaving Wendy behind, although Wendy told her multiple times already that it was a brilliant plan and that she is excited for both Irene and Seulgi.

“Sooyoung has her own projects and OST, Yerim has her TV show, while Seungwan- Seungwan is still stuck at the hospital and I, I felt that she’ll drift apart from us. We’re even packing her things right now because she’s not gonna come home here anymore.”

"Unnie, you know it's just temporary, right? Once we had our comeback with her, she'll be back here with us."

"But- but what if she doesn't want to anymore?" Irene can't help but voice out what she really feels. There's too many negative thoughts and it's scaring her. "You saw how happy she was when her family came, Seul. What if... what if she decided not to comeback after all of this? What if she wants to go back to Canada with her family? What if-" This time, Irene can feel her tears coming. "What if I lose her, Seulgi-ah?"

"Unnie." Seulgi called out, a hand on Irene's shoulder to stop the older from rambling. She saw the tears on their leader's eyes and Seulgi was surprised. She knew Irene was the most affected but she didn't know she had it this worst. Seulgi was afraid too. Wendy is her best friend, her soulmate, and she doesn't know what she would do if Wendy really decided to leave. But seeing the dejected look and teary eyes of their leader, Seulgi knew she have to be the strong one this time.

"You know it won't happen, unnie." Seulgi comforted the older. "We all know how Seungwan loves what she does. That girl has an overflowing passion for singing." Seulgi smiled, remembering how Wendy loves music. "And you're not going to lose her unnie. Come on, it's Son Seungwan we're talking about. She wouldn't let it happen."

"But I-" Irene quickly wiped the tears that made down her face. "I almost lost her already, Seul. Twice."

"But you didn't, unnie. Seungwan will be fine. She's-" Seulgi stopped as Irene's words get to her. "Wait. What do you mean by 'twice' unnie?" Seulgi tried to rock her brain if she recalls anything that happened before but unluckily, she can't think of any.

"When was the first time?"