001

i didn't think i'd make it, but now you're here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shotaro once again woke up in the morning feeling sick to his stomach. With a sigh, he rolled over and sat up so he could bury his face in the palms of his hands, massaging his cheeks with his thumbs. He'd felt like this every morning for the past month and it was getting old very fast. He couldn't remember a time where he’d woken up and didn't feel like curling up into a ball, hiding under the blankets, and forgoing responsibilities. It sounded very tempting to do, especially today considering this was the worst he'd ever felt before, but he couldn't afford to commit to that. He had to go to work so he could afford life, and that was his sad reality. 

Shotaro had to brush it off for now and get ready for his day. So he did just that, changing from pajama bottoms to jogging bottoms and one t-shirt to another, adding a hoodie on top, followed by lacing up his favorite sneakers to finish the look. His job didn't require much dressing up since he was a dance instructor for a dance academy and it was a perk he liked about the profession. He was thankful for it the most today when he needed to feel wrapped up and comfortable. He could pretend like he was laying in bed when he was warm and wearing soft material. 

Entering his kitchenette to grab something to eat, Shotaro felt his stomach roll in nausea before he could even reach the fridge and he couldn't bring himself to ingest anything. He grabbed a banana just in case he improved before arriving at the studio but the thought of food going into his mouth had his throat closing up in protest. He would benefit from eating of course but he couldn't force his body to do it. 

Shotaro was really getting sick of being so sick. He'd been in Korea for four months and yet his body still hadn't adjusted to the differences from his home country. The culture, the air, and even the water were so different. Shotaro told himself that living in Japan for twenty-three years and then suddenly moving out of the country could have its effects on someone. He figured he just wasn't used to Korean summers, even though they weren't much different from Japan's summers. Maybe it was the idea of being away from where he grew up? Surely he would adjust soon, he just had to make it past the summer months and heat. He preferred it cooler anyway. 

Shotaro had to leave so he could catch his bus ride to the dance academy. Being late would lead to his class being delayed and then he would have a bunch of irritated students on his hands. He didn't want that. Their dance lessons were an important part of their day and having their divided time for the subject shortened due to Shotaro being late was not what he wanted in the slightest. He was going to show up early, stretch, and get ready to teach his students. Shotaro made sure to grab his backpack, water bottle, and keys before leaving, carrying his singular banana in hand in case his stomach decided to cooperate any time soon. His body felt heavy from fatigue but he could make it through the day. Once he was up and moving it would improve and he could forget about his morning's less than favorable start. He took a swig from his water bottle, hoping it would settle at least the ache in his stomach. Sadly, it didn't; there was no change. 

The bus ride had been uneventful and after sitting down Shotaro was able to eat his banana, taking slow and cautious bites in case his gag reflex decided to act up. It had been enough food for him at the time and he felt the tiniest bit better as though food had been the answer, until he stood up again and his body reminded him how unwell he was, stomach turning in anger. He felt truly sick now, but he was at his stop and he had to get off. There was no time to stall and collect himself in the aisle. 

The studio wasn't far from the bus stop thankfully and the short walk was enough to help calm the storm raging inside him. He had far too many close calls this morning and it had him worrying about the classes he had ahead of him. This was the worst he's been since this mystery illness, for lack of a better term, started and that was troubling him. Shotaro said a short prayer to himself that he could make it through until his last class. Then he could get as sick as his body wanted to at home. 

But it was starting to look like the universe was not on his side that day. Setting first foot into the studio had him recoiling back into himself, soul nearly leaving his body. It was disgustingly warm inside, sticky, and humid from the two classes that had already happened before he arrived and it was unsettling. It smelled like sweaty bodies and students worked hard and the smell was really bothering him. The air conditioning in the building had been on the fritz since last week but the temperature inside the dance academy practice rooms had been warm at most. But this already hot morning had taken its toll on the students and inside the walls of Shotaro's workplace, leaving it sweltering and muggy. There were fans placed everywhere in the foyer but none seemed to help the situation. It was unpleasantly stuffy and odorous, and it had Shotaro's stomach returning to its previous disposition. 

He was intensely overwhelmed and stood still for a few moments to try and compose himself and his stomach, then focusing on his employer as he walked into the front foyer with a ridiculous smile on his face. Typical behavior of his, "Good morning, Shotaro san!" Yuta greeted in Japanese, knowing Shotaro wasn’t entirely too comfortable speaking Korean yet. He did his best to help teach him useful Korean but learning a language was hard and he understood that the most. Sometimes it was comforting hearing someone speak your native language so you didn’t have to think. Yuta had planned to say more in the moment but he quickly noticed the pale look on the younger's face and concern grew in his demeanor, smile disappearing entirely as he frowned, "Are you doing okay? You don't look too great." 

Shotaro was indeed not feeling great. Not at all as a matter of fact, but he couldn't even formulate that thought into words before he was rushing forward and pushing past Yuta towards the bathroom closest to where they stood. Yuta, jostled and shaken, followed quickly after the confusion cleared from his thoughts, knowing exactly what was about to happen based on Shotaro’s reaction. His friend needed his help and possibly his comfort, and he was going to deliver the best he could. 

His body worked on autopilot and Shotaro crashed to his knees in front of the toilet bowl, his body taking no time as it expelled the banana that sat so heavily like a rock in his stomach. It hurt coming back up and his brain was begging his body to stop, the shake in his hands translating to his arms and torso. It was similar to panicking but his body was aware of what was happening and clung so desperately to his sanity. His head was starting to pound in pain, throat raw and parched as his body tried to recover. 

While Shotaro had felt consistently sick over the past month he had been able to push past it every day without fail. This was the first time he had thrown up anything and of all times to choose and be this level of sick, it was just before a lesson he had to teach. This was evidently not his morning. 

Yuta made his way quickly to Shotaro's side after he locked the bathroom door behind him, falling to his own knees as one hand went to rub between Shotaro's shoulder blades to maybe help ease his body into relaxation. He stayed silent, knowing Shotaro wouldn't listen or be able to respond to what he had to say when he was a little more than occupied with his body's violent retching. He wished he could do something more but he was at a loss. There was nothing for him to do. 

Eventually, Shotaro's body was able to calm down and cease all the vomiting. Relief washing over him, Shotaro was able to rest his muscles for once and ease the forced strain on his body, falling back onto his feet with his face buried in his hands. His jaw hurt now and his throat was begging for water and succor after such exertion. Yuta handed him some tissues to wipe his mouth and nose, something Shotaro was thankful for. Sudden embarrassment washed over him. He had just thrown up in front of his employer, the person he sees every weekday and the person who pays him. He saw him struggle and so weak and they were friends yes but Shotaro didn't want Yuta to see him at one of his low points. 

"Are you okay now?" Yuta asked cautiously, in case Shotaro needed to throw up again. He wanted to give the younger some time to compose himself, but the concern was killing him. One hand continued to rub his back, slow circles right between his shoulder blades in hopes that he was doing something, "Still feel sick?" 

Shotaro was still feeling nauseated and the exhaustion washing over him made him feel as though he could sleep for a week. His stomach was still swirling in anger, but he felt much better after getting that ick out of his system. Yuta's hands were helping greatly, "I think I'm okay now," he scooted back until he was sitting on his , much more comfortable than kneeling on the hard tile. He folded his legs over each other and hunched forward to rest his back and aching core, "I didn't wake up feeling very well," he groused, braving a glance at Yuta. He noted the frown on his features and it had his chest caving in out of embarrassment. 

"Why did you come in if you weren't feeling 100% yourself?" the older asked cautiously, brows still furrowed in curiosity. The typical reaction to feeling ill was to stay home, yet here Shotaro was ready to teach his handful of classes for the day. That wasn't normal and he preferred Shotaro had stayed home and rest. 

Shotaro wanted to give him the exact reason why he came in. He didn't want to miss out on pay because he couldn't afford it, but he didn't need a pity party when he was already having one. He was frustrated, embarrassed, and he felt ill, and it was a lot to deal with when he was so distracted. He couldn't help the way his eyes started to itch as tears welled up, Yuta growing blurry in his vision, "I'm sorry," his voice cracked and shook, resolve wavering as he started to unfold. 

"What are you apologizing for?" Yuta's demeanor dropped into a pitiful frown, voice careful, not liking that Shotaro was that upset. He was growing anxious himself at how his friend was acting, "This isn't something you can control." 

"I know," Shotaro sniffled, using the heel of his hand to brush away the tears that were growing close to falling, "I just don't think you want to see me like this when you need me teaching and when I need the money. In fact, I have a class I have to get to," he had a good ten minutes left until he had to warm up with his students, an advanced class that was one of his most rigorous. He would need to do his own warming up, and it would take longer with how he was still feeling. He needed to go and he made a move to stand up but Yuta held him down in his place by the shoulder. Shotaro wasn't getting away that easily. 

"I don't mind you being sick and calling off, I just wish you'd told me so we could work through it. I'd prefer it if you felt your best and weren't throwing up in my studio," Yuta smiled sympathetically. He wasn't aiming to make Shotaro feel guilty, just lighten the mood, "From now on, if you aren't feeling well, don't come in. You have paid sick days, I could just give you the ones you need and you'd be fine," Shotaro was a well-experienced dance instructor and from that gained experience, he was eligible for paid sick days. If he was worried about money, there really wasn't a problem and it was something Yuta would take care of. 

That made Shotaro feel a little better, but there was another problem, "If I called off every time I felt ill then I wouldn't have come in the past few weeks," Shotaro hadn't meant to let that detail slip past his mouth, but he caught himself too late. It was out there now and Yuta had heard it, and now his eyes were wide and shocked. 

"You've been sick for the past few weeks?" Yuta asked, body rigid in surprise. He hadn't heard a word of any discomfort before; Shotaro just wasn't that kind of person. The younger hadn't even looked sick any of the days he came in so Yuta had no clue. 

"Close to that... Maybe a month," Shotaro admitted sheepishly, one hand going to grab his wrist. His nails started to scratch lightly at his skin, shame and embarrassment eating at his soul. He couldn't hold eye contact anymore, it was too difficult, "But not sick enough to throw up. It's only been today," adding that small detail was his last hope of downplaying the situation. He frantically did not want Yuta to overreact, even though the older had every reason to. 

"That's a long time, Taro," far too long, and laughable if it weren't so serious, "Have you seen a doctor at all?" Yuta asked, keeping his head level. He didn't want to overwhelm his younger friend after the morning he'd had. Well, more like the past month. He was amazed that he'd gone this long in all honesty. He should have gone after the second day of feeling ill. 

Shotaro shook his head, "No," he kept his eyes locked on his lap, still refusing to meet Yuta's eyes. He twiddled his thumbs, keeping his hands busy to keep his fidgeting at bay. He wanted to get up and leave but he knew that wasn't an option, "I haven't." 

"Why not? You need to see one," Yuta demanded softly. He still didn't want to raise his voice in case Shotaro would cower further into himself. This was no longer a time of scolding, it was a deep dive into Shotaro's thought process and fears, "What's stopping you?" 

Shotaro shifted his shoulders, helping straighten out his upper back after having slumped forward for so long. He sighed, letting himself release his anxieties with less hesitation, "I'm afraid of going to a doctor's appointment and not being able to communicate properly," he revealed with a grouse. His Korean was still very subpar and if he was being honest with himself, he could barely get by. That fact alone made him nervous to talk to people around him, he couldn't imagine explaining his situation to a doctor effectively, "It'll be a nightmare for me." 

It was Yuta's turn to sigh, shaking his head, "That's a little silly. You're just avoiding it then," he clarified, seeing Shotaro's true heart, "Clinics have plenty of services for you if you can't speak Korean well. Surely you know that, and surely that's not what's truly stopping you." 

Shotaro did know that, but whether or not he had that available to him, going to a doctor was never pleasant. It was a little scary to him and doctors were never his favorite, especially ones that didn't speak his language, "But I've only thrown up once; it can't be that bad. I'm fine. I think I'm just literally homesick," he takes a moment to reminisce on his home country and how much easier it is there for him than it is here in Korea. For the time being; he had ambitions to reach, "It's hard adjusting to a place you don't know." 

Hearing that, Yuta felt his heart shatter. Being sick was the worst, but being so sick for so long so far away from your family was even worse. Yuta understood more than anyone how he felt, but even if it was homesickness, Shotaro chose to come out here and he chose all the trials he would endure. Avoiding a doctor wasn't going to do him any good, "If you're worried about communication then I can go with you and translate. It'll be easier if you have a friend there with you," Yuta's Korean was nearly fluent, he had studied hard before his arrival to the country. He would be of great help to Shotaro in the long run, and he would help Shotaro feel comfortable in a setting that always made him feel uncomfortable. 

"You don't have to," Shotaro immediately shook his head, feeling his stomach settle some more. Yuta always made him feel calm, even when he was having a good day and wasn't anxious. For the moment, he was definitely anxious, "It's not your problem to sorry about."

"If you need me then I will go with you," Yuta insisted, placing a comforting hand on Shotaro's shoulder, thumb rubbing against the fabric of his shirt, "I'd rather you go with someone you can trust and rely on. Please go see a doctor, and I'll happily go with you." 

Shotaro sighed, taking a second to think before his response was, "I'll think about it," but he didn't intend to. He still had to muster up the courage to go at all let alone with Yuta at his side. He didn't want to think about it now though, he had a class to teach, "But first, I should go to class and warm-up," he was cutting it close with time, but he could fit in a few stretches in the time he had remaining. There were certainly students already in the practice room doing their own stretches before they had to do routine warm-ups as a class. Shotaro was supposed to be the first one present, today that was not the case and he felt disappointed in himself for that. 

But Yuta held him down again, a firm hand on his shoulder, "I don't think you can teach today, nor do I want you to. I should send you straight home," Shotaro needed rest to recover, and constantly working was not going to help him improve. No way was he staying in the building a second longer, "Grab your bag and go." 

"Absolutely not," Shotaro exclaimed, hopping to his feet despite the fact that he was still queasy. He was a little wobbly at first, further proving that he needed to sit down and not dance, but the reminder of getting his paycheck was a convincing motivator. He squeezed past Yuta and went on his way, "I also can't go a day without dancing. If you make me walk out of the studio I will lose my actual mind," that was probably true, Shotaro never went a day without at least creating on the spot choreographies to his favorite songs. He could count the few days he hadn't danced in his whole life on one hand. 

"Shotaro," Yuta groused, getting up to follow his friend. He caught up to him quick and had to stop the younger before he passed through the doorway leading out towards the practice rooms. He stuck an arm out, blocking his path, "I'll let you stay, but if you throw up one more time I am taking over and you will not be teaching the rest of the day," it was a threat and Yuta was getting the point across. Shotaro was pushing Yuta to the edge and he knew that, so he was going to listen and stay in line for now, "Do you understand me?"

"I do," Shotaro nodded, ignoring the way his stomach flipped once more. It wasn't in the same way that made him want to sprint back to the bathroom but in the way that made him nervous. He might just have to throw up again, but he didn't want to do that and if he did end up running back to the bathroom to vomit, he would be going home and missing out on pay. For now, he had to play it off and convince Yuta he was fine now. 

And he did so successfully for his first class. He was able to put on a convincing smile and dance his best all while pretending as though he hadn't thrown up his breakfast down the hall. His nausea seemed to pass until it returned with a vengeance. Near the end of his second class, his resolve was starting to crumble and it wasn't until their class block was finished that he left the practice room and returned to the bathroom, feet growing faster the closer he stepped. He promptly threw up the water he had gulped down during class, tearing his throat up and building an uncomfortable pressure behind his eyes. This was now the second time he had thrown up since he started feeling sick and it was in the same day. Shotaro knew that wasn't good. 

Shotaro hadn't spent much longer in the bathroom and thought he was able to slide past Yuta's watch and carry on with the rest of the day. He prayed that he could pass this by, but it wasn't until he passed through the bathroom door that he was confronted with a worried yet stern-looking Yuta, arms crossed over his chest and a confident stance holding his body up. Shotaro slouched against the door jamb, brows furrowing in defeat. Looked like he was being sent home. He really tried his best to hide it though. 

---------

Shotaro entered the lobby of his apartment complex and exhaled heavily. It was a familiar smell and while it wasn't exactly pleasant, he did associate the smell as a teaser before he reached home and that was good enough for him. It was sufficient enough to get him the next few steps home. He was looking forward to laying in bed and sleeping off the headache that was starting to pound behind his eyes and in his ears. He wanted nothing more than a cup of tea, a well-deserved nap, and absolute quiet. 

He did slow his step and sigh at the stairs, however, losing his steam. While he was feeling better compared to earlier he was now weighed down by fatigue, muscles aching with every move. His apartment was on the second floor and had the elevator been working and not on the fritz he would have used it to get there. Shotaro had glared at the 'Sorry for the Inconvenience' sign and groused to himself. He was greatly inconvenienced and he would need to climb the single flight of stairs it took to get to his room. He momentarily wondered if he could do it but pushed himself until he was at the top, and once he reached his floor he was almost out of breath and his knees were hurting. It was so out of character, but he figured that would happen after running on water for the past few hours while intensely dancing. His body was exhausted and there was no fuel to feed off of. He figured he should try to eat something when he got to his apartment, but the idea didn't sit well with him. 

His apartment door was in sight and that motivated him further, feet moving the slightest bit faster to get inside so he could drop onto the couch and lay there until he could gain his energy back and then move to his bedroom once he had it in him. He could maybe change his shirt and bottoms but even that sounded like too much work. He would settle for the couch and bed for now, and then he would see what a nap would fix for him. 

A noise starting in the quiet hallway and the view of someone leaving their apartment knocked Shotaro out of his trance, breaking his eye contact with his front door so he could identify which neighbor he was going to give a quiet 'hello' to. He wasn't too familiar with most of the residents on his floor, and outwardly greeting people still had his stomach turning in anxiety. He could efficiently and effectively greet others very well, but the idea of messing even something as simple as that up was enough to hinder his abilities. 

But then he focused on who was entering the hall and felt relief wash over him. He felt the exhaustion that was eating at his muscles lift and the light in his eyes return; he felt himself smile and his spine straighten out as he collected himself again, happy to see who was now in his presence and making his day just that much more bearable. 

It was his very cute neighbor from the opposite side of the hallway, Sungchan, leaving his apartment with a very full laundry bag in hand, no doubt on the journey to the basement to do his week's washing. He was dressed in casual clothes, evidence that he'd spent the day at home, and his long fringe was tied up and out of his face. This was his go-to look when he wasn't in a professional setting, and Shotaro knew that best. 

Sungchan hadn't noticed Shotaro at first but when he looked away from locking his apartment's door, he smiled immediately at seeing his friend and set his bag down, propping it against the wall. His smile lit up in such a way that Shotaro couldn't help but try and match its intensity. Seconds earlier it felt impossible to do so with how tired he was but when Sungchan was in sight, it was effortless to smile so brightly. 

"Shotaro! Long time no see," he greeted in Japanese. The younger only spoke enough Japanese to get by in a few choice conversations and do well with greetings but it was enough and Shotaro highly appreciated the willing effort. Sungchan did his best to use what little he knew and what Shotaro had taught him for Shotaro's sake and it was so meaningful to him. It made his heart skip a beat at how selfless it was, "Come here," Sungchan invited, stretching his arms out wide for a hug. His smile was beaming, nose scrunching in delight as he invited Shotaro closer. 

Shotaro needed a hug and he was happy to receive one, picking up his dragging his feet so he could get to that warm hug sooner. He more or less fell into Sungchan's arms, chests pressed together with his head pressed flat to Sungchan's collarbone. Sungchan was so warm and while Shotaro was already warm from the July heat, this kind of warmth was better, more calming. Not hot and stuffy like how he felt now. It was comfortable and relaxing and made his heart slow and steady. 

But it soon seeped into his thoughts that he had acted too soon, going in for that hug without thinking thoroughly first. Although Shotaro hadn't felt the best the past month, now that he'd thrown up he didn't want to give Sungchan the worst of what he's been feeling. Shotaro wanted to pull away for Sungchan's health, but it was difficult to do so when hugging Sungchan had been the best part of his day. Nothing could beat it. And if he hadn't gotten Sungchan sick yet, there was the possibility he wasn't contagious, but if he was... He was internally conflicted with his own feelings. 

Luckily, he hadn't needed to make that decision for himself because Sungchan was slowly pulling away. Through that hug, Sungchan could feel the weight on Shotaro's shoulders and it was more than a little concerning. He didn't particularly want to pull away, but he had to, "Long day?" Sungchan guessed, letting his arms fall to his sides, hands digging into his pockets. 

Shotaro nodded. Even though he was home early for the day, it still had felt like an eternity, "It's too warm, and classes are starting to get busy," end of summer recitals were typical, and it was a stressful time on good days. On bad days it was hell, "I don't think my body is really truly adjusted or prepared," he'd fumbled on some words, switched word order, but he was able to get his point across in Korean. Sungchan understood and nodded with an endeared smile. Shotaro felt his own smile retaliate, happy to see the younger so cheery. It helped his overall mood and attitude. 

"You work so hard, Taro hyung," Sungchan stated, knowing very well Shotaro's dedication to his art and dedication to teaching children both young and old his craft. He was extremely talented and a perfectionist, something he admired about his older friend, "You deserve some time to yourself. It's hard being a master at something." 

"Thank you," Shotaro bowed respectfully, voice shrinking small at the complement. His cheeks blushed slightly and it was too adorable to handle. He never meant to be as cute as he was, being so naturally cute, and it was a sight to behold for those lucky enough, "I do my best," his brain almost went fuzzy, losing track of what a normal conversation consisted of. Sungchan was always on top of it though, wanting to hear more and more. 

"How have you been? Not too tired or stressed I hope," Sungchan pried next. He wanted to genuinely listen to how Shotaro was with everything going on, not caring to share his own side of things and instead encouraging Shotaro to continue. He had a far more interesting life than Sungchan's after all. 

Shotaro chuckled to himself. As though Sungchan didn't already know the answer to that question. He knew. The last time he had asked Shotaro that question had been two days ago and not much had changed since then. Still, Shotaro was flustered at the attention, not used to receiving so much. It had nervous butterflies fluttering in his tummy, "I'm pretty tired," was all he could say. He failed to mention how sick he was feeling now that it was slowly returning, but there was no need to worry his friend, "Nothing a nap couldn't fix," with his reality flooding back to the forefront of his mind, Shotaro could feel the world on his shoulders again. His stomach was turning and he felt the fatigue make his body slump. Funny how the mind could trick itself for such a short time. 

"I don't want to keep you from your nap for too long," Sungchan resigned, eyes going wide in guilt at keeping the older from getting that well-deserved rest. If he needed it then he should let him be. 

"It's okay," Shotaro shook his head, shy laugh sneaking out, "I have all afternoon," if he had it his way he would have been asleep by now, but this was a pleasant detour he wouldn't mind taking. 

"Better get started on it now then so you're not up too late tonight," Sungchan encouraged, stooping over to grab his discarded laundry bag and throwing it over his shoulder. He'd almost forgotten why he'd left his apartment in the first place, "I'll let you be." 

Shotaro wanted to argue but he really was exhausted and his body was begging and screaming for a nap. He couldn't deprive himself any longer or he would fall over right there, "Thank you," he nodded, stepping aside to give Sungchan more room to move, "I'll see you around, Sungchannie," a definite occurrence considering how close they were as neighbors. They saw each other several times a week, sometimes every day.

There was quite the distance between the two but it wasn't until Shotaro had his door unlocked with a foot in the doorway and one in the hallway with Sungchan at the top of the stairs before the younger of the two turned back around with a good-natured inquiry, "When you're feeling better, would you like to have dinner with me and maybe a movie on the couch?" his smile was hopeful and bright, shining just enough to pluck at Shotaro's heartstrings, "My roommate will be out all night," he mentioned off-handedly, strategically added in to help clarify his intentions. 

And of course Shotaro knew the implications of his words. A movie on Sungchan's couch meant and plenty of it. On nights like those it always started out with the two of them paying attention to the details and storyline of whatever movie they chose, but they could never finish the film without wandering hands that were begging for more interactions and burning touch. Neither men had seen the ending of any of the movies they'd tried watching together, too distracted by each other and their bodies. It happened every time they got together and it wasn't something either were complaining about. is what brought them closer, a night where they could just relax and do something that was such a relief after the day's stress. was the best kind of feeling, and their chemistry made it ten times better. 

This ongoing ordeal started the day Shotaro moved into the building. Shotaro had done the moving by himself and had little to no help when it came to taking his belongings into his new flat. He'd just come from Japan so he hadn't known anyone to help. He had no choice but to move what little belongings he had that were able to make it out to Korea and whatever he bought along the way by himself. And just his luck, and with the complex's history, the elevator had been out of order at that time too, and going up and down the stairs had been his only option. Shotaro had tried taking as few trips as possible but that wasn't going as well as he thought it would and had to make frequent stops to retrieve whatever he happened to drop or couldn't hold. Just when he was about to quit and sit defeated on the stair steps, Sungchan entered the complex to find a very frustrated and resigned looking Shotaro. He had offered to help with sparkling eyes and a selfless attitude and Shotaro shyly accepted his offer. Sungchan had greatly sped up the process and even when Shotaro was finished moving in and the younger wasn't needed anymore, that wasn't the last Shotaro would see of Sungchan. They became quick friends and good friends at that. And here they were now, benefiting from each other while still remaining on good terms. Sungchan had made such an impression on Shotaro that he couldn't help but want to join him on any given occasion. 

Shotaro would have loved to join Sungchan tonight for some one-on-one time, but he still felt so ill and the idea of having while feeling so did not sound pleasant in the slightest. with Sungchan was usually so comforting and made Shotaro feel good, and it was a terribly tempting invite, but he was just so sick that he had to politely decline, "Maybe not tonight, I'm just a little too tired to think about anything other than eating and sleeping," he released a nervous laugh, hoping it wasn't too obvious. Although, thinking back on his statement, he could do without the eating with how hard his stomach was turning, "Ask me again tomorrow and the answer will be yes," he would surely feel better by tomorrow and all the fuss that was wasted on him today will have been all for naught. 

Sungchan nodded, charming smile peeking past those plump lips. Shotaro could taste them from where he stood, "Then I'll ask again tomorrow," Shotaro nodded, feeling his strength slip away by the second. He needed to get off his feet and crash onto the closest soft surface, "Sleep well, eat some good food, and don't miss me too much," he wished with a tender wave, gaze lingering and locking with Shotaro's.

"I'll do my best," Shotaro laughed, his own smile blinding and sweet even with how tired he was. He was the one who finally broke eye contact, finally stepping into his apartment and feeling his stresses melt away in his safe space. He leaned against the wall of his apartment, toeing off his shoes, too lazy to untie them and too lazy to bend down and pick them up. He left them where they landed and trudged to the couch in his sitting room, crashing onto the cushions and curling up, holding his stomach tightly. He had been looking forward to this all day long. 

Shotaro thought back on Sungchan's invite and he was sure he would feel better by the next day, he definitely would. Now that he'd actually thrown up, he figured he would feel a lot better and he could finally stop being so ill. Finally getting sick after being ill was probably the best thing that could happen to him. He was sure he'd be healed of whatever ailment had him in its clutches and he could go about daily life again, just like he used to. He missed being able to do that without hindering the effect it had on his body. He smiled, he'd be at Sungchan's tomorrow and it would be a well-deserved break for him.

Shotaro spent the rest of that evening sleeping and the only time he forced his body out of bed was to eat something, figuring it would be better for his body if he did so. Healing required fuel to go off of. He made something light: miso soup and some leftover rice he had stored in the freezer. It wasn't much but it was something, and that was all he could manage before feeling too sick to eat more. He'd then proceed to return to bed and sleep the nausea away. He already felt so much better than he had that morning and Shotaro was confident he was going to be okay again with some proper rest and time to himself. This was what he was waiting for and he could not have been more pleased. 

But it was all wishful thinking because the next morning was even worse. Exponentially worse and it was hilarious how awful he felt compared to the last month and the day before. That had been nothing from before, he was feeling it all now, and his body was protesting everything he had tried to do from the moment he woke up, which happened to be an hour before his alarm. He'd been up since then, laying on the cool tile of the bathroom floor, too afraid to leave in case he needed to vomit into the toilet again. He had tried once before and that had not ended that well, but luckily he made it back in time to not make a mess all over his floor. 

And as much as he hated to do it, Shotaro called in sick to the studio and was incredibly apologetic towards Yuta as he explained the situation and every dirty detail. Because he would be absent from the academy classes, the older would need to teach extra classes today and no one liked to do that. It was a lot of work and Yuta would surely become overwhelmed, and it would all be Shotaro's fault. The guilt that swarmed his stomach hurt his throat and made him feel exponentially worse than he already felt. 

But Yuta wasn't worried. He could handle a handful more classes easily and instead of worrying about himself and his full schedule at the academy, Yuta was understandably more worried about Shotaro's well-being. He was even sicker than yesterday, and after hearing he'd been sick for a month Yuta wanted to get to the bottom of whatever was going on. No one should go through that and act as though it was normal, "I'll stop by when I'm done for the day," which was earlier than the rest of the week. Fridays were always short days, no late classes to attend or teach, yet another perk of the job, "And I'll bring you something to eat that might help your stomach." 

Shotaro wanted to protest and tell his friend no, he didn't have to do that, but he didn't say what was on his mind, he just nodded to himself and accepted the help, "Text me before you get here so I can look a little more decent than I do right now," he didn't look too hot understandably. His hair was tied back and out of his face, he looked pale and had dark bags under his eyes, and he wasn't wearing pants, finding it far too hot to wear any, "And thank you," he almost whispered, pressing his cheek to the cold tile. It made his head feel a little better. 

"It's not a problem," Yuta assured, smiling on the other end, "Try to get some sleep, and drink as much water as you can. You don't need dehydration on top of being sick," whatever might be causing his ailment would not improve with Shotaro not being properly hydrated. Yuta made a mental note to grab an electrolyte drink to help his friend out with that. 

"I'll try my best," Shotaro nodded, although he wasn't so sure what he could manage with how he felt. He curled up into a tight ball, knees pressed to his chest as he felt the nausea return. He was starting to find it difficult to speak, throat closing up and mouth starting to water in preparation to vomit. 

They said their quick farewells and Shotaro was back to laying on the floor in silence as he tried to will the new wave of nausea away. He momentarily wondered if he was going to die from how ill he felt. He hoped he would so he didn't have to feel like this any longer. It was a long day of laying down, sipping on water, and eating the tiniest bites of bread so he wouldn't pass out from spending all the energy he didn't have. Seeing Yuta would be the highlight of his day. 

And just as he promised, after double his lessons, Yuta made his way to Shotaro's apartment complex with rice and light soup he picked up from some restaurant on the way to the building, adding a large bottle of the electrolyte drink he told himself to grab. He wasn't sure what Shotaro had in his possession but he brought everything just in case he needed it. He even grabbed some crackers in case that was easier for the younger to eat, knowing it was hard to stomach food when you were so sick. He was going to do everything in his power to help Shotaro out. 

Shotaro buzzed him in after Yuta made him aware of his arrival and he was soon able to enter through the front door, climbing the stairs to where he knew Shotaro's room was, food clutched tightly in his hands so he didn't spill anything. He'd been there a few times before and knew his way around, no need for directions and confidence in his step. 

But for a second he was convinced he had it all wrong when he spotted a young man, about Shotaro's age, standing in front of the door Yuta had believed belonged to Shotaro. Maybe he was mistaken? No. He took a quick glance at the numbers on the doors close by and there was no mistaking it. That was Shotaro's door and there was someone he didn't know standing in front of it and knocking, patiently waiting for a response.

Yuta walked up to this young man, soon catching his attention once he noticed how close he was stepping. Yuta greeted him with a large smile, receiving one in return, "Hello, you're here for Shotaro?" he asked, using formal Korean despite him being surely younger than him. Yuta wouldn't use informal speech unless they were close. 

"Hello," he greeted shyly, bowing at a ninety-degree angle. Yuta returned it, although not as deep when he had food in his hands, "I am actually. I was just checking in on him. I haven't heard a word from him yet," this boy had a lop-sided and nervous smile, unsure with slight concern evident in his eyes, "Oh, where are my manners?" he recognized his mistake quickly with a shake of his head, "My name is Sungchan. I live just down the hall," he vaguely pointed with his whole hand, Yuta not taking the time to look when he didn't need to know what direction, "And your name?" 

"I'm Yuta," he nodded, smile remaining wide and friendly, "I actually work with Shotaro and was stopping by to check in on him too," it was a start, but nothing else was shared before the door was swinging open and an exhausted looking Shotaro was sticking his head out with a weak smile, fatigue evident. He'd been expecting only Yuta and the surprise in his expression was comical when he noticed Sungchan was joining them, his eyes squinted in confusion. His only two friends were at his door step and he wasn't sure who to address first.

Yuta made that decision for him, "Hey, Taro! I brought you some food, I hope that's okay," he wanted to walk in and set it up for his friend but having someone else there prevented him from taking confident steps forward. Having another person present changed the dynamic and Yuta was not going to take charge until Shotaro called the shots. 

"Uh... yeah, it's totally okay. You can go and put it in the kitchen," Shotaro directed, opening the door wider so he could let Yuta in. 

Receiving the go-ahead, Yuta made his way through the front door but turned over his shoulder one last time, "It was nice to meet you, Sungchan," then he was entering fully and heading right towards the kitchenette. 

Now it was Sungchan's turn. Shotaro felt bad turning him down but there was no way he was going to be able to do anything when he felt so not like himself, "Hey, I'm sorry but I can't hang out tonight. I've been really sick today and I'm tired and the only reason Yuta senpai is here is because you can't tell him no. He won't listen," which wasn't entirely the truth for that moment but if Shotaro had protested Yuta would have made his way over anyway. He was incredibly stubborn when it came to those he cared about, "Not tonight," he clarified, followed by a very remorseful, "I'm really sorry. I was really looking forward to tonight."

"Hey, no! I totally understand. I wouldn't want to force anything when you obviously don't feel well," there was no denying it. He had never seen Shotaro so unwell before and it was very unsettling in his heart. And he could see it in Shotaro's face that he wasn't lying, "Maybe another time. when you're feeling like yourself," he glanced inside Shotaro's apartment and could see Yuta flitting around and figured now was his time to leave. It looked like Shotaro was about to eat, "I should let you eat something if you can," he smiled, sweet and unfazed, "Try to get better."

"I'm trying to get better," Shotaro responded, fatigue getting the best of him. His feet and legs were starting to ache with no energy in them to stand even a short amount of time. He wanted to either sit or lay down, whatever felt most comfortable. 

"If you need anything, you know where to find me," Sungchan reminded as he turned away in the direction of his flat, not wanting to take up too much of Shotaro's time when he wasn't himself. Sungchan was still smiling even after being turned down, "I'll see you later," his steps were slow as he started to walk, not wanting to leave his friend too fast. The concern was still heavy in his heart but he did not want to overwhelm him when he was already struggling. 

"See ya," Shotaro wished back with a weak wave, smile starting to droop in exhaustion as he finally closed his door. He sighed heavily, the kind of sigh that came deep from inside his gut and released his soul, "What did you get me?" Shotaro asked, switching to Japanese as he headed back to Yuta, sitting at one of the two dining table chairs he owned. Yuta would take the other one if he was going to sit down and join him. Shotaro could smell the soup and it smelled great and hopefully it was something he could keep down. He was simultaneously hungry and nauseous and it was purely miserable. 

"Miso and rice," Yuta cracked open the bottle of electrolyte water and held it out for Shotaro to take, "But first try sipping on that and see if it helps any," once it was in the younger's hand he was back to dishing out the food into bowls. Shotaro listened and sipped on his bottle, having trouble swallowing at fist, but once it was down it felt exponentially better. He didn't drink much at a time no matter how much he wanted to down the container. That would not help his situation any. 

"So," Yuta started as he brought over Shotaro's bowls full of rice and soup. He sat down across from Shotaro, making himself comfortable in his seat, "Who was that at the door?" his curiosity was getting the best of him. He only got to hear his name and that was it; Shotaro had cut their conversation too short before he could get any more information out of him. 

Shotaro chuckled, setting his bottle down on the table after taking another few sips. Yuta was so nosy, "Sungchan. He's a friend and my neighbor down the hall. We were supposed to hang out tonight," he had so been looking forward to their time together but it would just have to wait. There was and always would be a next time, "But that's obviously not happening. Not when I'm like this," he gestured to his whole body. He felt gross and icky, and looked it too. He'd cleaned up the best he could for Yuta but even the bare minimum had been too much work. It was ridiculous how little could exhaust him. Shotaro tentatively took a small bite of rice and a small spoon of soup. So far so good. 

Yuta smirked, figuring he could have some fun with this while he had the chance, "Hang out or sleep together?" he asked jokingly, mischievously poking fun at his younger friend. He remembered using the same deception as a teenager when he wanted to go out late with his then-girlfriend, adding in the lie that he was out with friends instead. He wondered how his parents hadn't known, and then momentarily wondered if they had known and decided to say nothing. Yuta liked to think he was that sly and had managed to fool them. 

And while Yuta had been expecting a roll of Shotaro's eyes and a groan of annoyance, maybe even some reprimanding, he instead watched Shotaro's eyes lock onto his soup and blush a bright red. Yuta felt his own smile drop and listened carefully as Shotaro nearly whispered a quiet, "Well, maybe... both," he spun his spoon in his food, trying to fill the silence with some noise. He'd been caught red-handed.

Yuta hadn't been expecting that. He hadn't known Shotaro was seeing anyone, but then again it wasn't his life and he didn't have to know all of the little details. He couldn't comment on it, "Oh, I didn't know," he settled on with a nod. He smiled comfortingly, not wanting Shotaro to get the wrong idea. There was no judgment here. Shotaro could do as he pleased, "He looks like a nice kid. It's whatever works for you." 

"He is pretty great but there's not much to it," Shotaro claimed with an amused chuckle and a shrug. The remaining awkwardness that hung in the air had him squirming and he just wanted to clear it up, "We're not together. It's just really casual, and we're still friends at the end of the day so things are pretty good between us," Shotaro was pretty content with their situation, there was nothing he could complain about. He took another sip of his soup and hummed to himself at the way it settled nicely in his empty stomach. 

"That's good," Yuta nodded. He intended to drop the subject afterward and move on to how Shotaro was feeling, but he couldn't. He was just too curious and he had more questions on his tongue, things starting to click together, "Have you known him long?"

Shotaro swallowed his rice, his throat momentarily protesting at how much he managed to get down with that one swallow. He would need to slow down a bit before he was back at the toilet throwing it back up, "The day I moved in actually. He helped me move my stuff to my apartment. He was super helpful and just stuck around after that," he was endlessly grateful for his help. He was sure if Sungchan hadn't stepped in he would still be on those steps. He remembered the awkward Korean, all of his apologies for not communicating better, and all the smiles Sungchan flashed him as he did his best to get to know him. Sungchan had been so patient and so kind. 

"How kind of him," Yuta hadn't even met Shotaro at that point. They'd made video calls about the job and his position as an instructor, but they had yet to meet in person. Had he known, Yuta would have been there to help. He was happy to hear Sungchan had been the one to help him settle though. Obviously he had been a huge helping hand in the moving process, "How long have you been seeing him?" Yuta still wanted to know, wiggling his eyebrows vexatiously. The dirty details were more fun than the other, small, unimportant ones. 

Shotaro rolled his eyes and figured he better brace himself for more personal questions about Sungchan. This was Yuta he was talking to after all, and he would want to know everything, "Close to three months," and now he's been in Korea for four months. That hadn't meant much more time with anyone else outsid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter