I | the painting

A work of art
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jongin had no idea how he had ended up on this side of the building, but it did not matter. Never had he felt so induced by a painting. It's just a painting, he tried to tell himself, but he couldn't help but feel connected to the masterpiece in front of him.

Kim Jongin, majoring in dance. On one of his countless strolls, he had accidentally reached the extensive gallery on the art-side of the giant school building. Many final projects of the art students were displayed there. There was no reason for him to be here, other than that he was bored. But since he had arrived, he might as well look around.

Looking around had resulted in him feeling untalented and bad about himself. But his talent lied in dance. Jongin had nothing to complain about. He mindlessly wandered around for a little while when one particular painting caught his attention.

Unlike many paintings decorating the white walls, this was not a piece where paint seemed to be thrown perfunctorily onto the canvas. It was elaborated flawlessly into the tiniest details Jongin could only notice when he came closer.

It was a male dancer that was painted in excellent detail. A ballerino, to be specific. The darker background coalesced with the male figure in a way that made him stand out, but not so much that the dancer and the setting were as two different compositions. The dancer looked like he was floating mid-air, his legs stretched and arms curved elegantly. His posture was dynamic, and he was holding himself in such a chaste, dignified manner.

The complete piece was enticing to Jongin. He knew it was just semblance, yet he was almost convinced the figure on the canvas could come to life at any time. The sheer colours came together, and the touch of elegance and power was ubiquitous.

All sorts of different emotions hit Jongin, and he couldn't comprehend how a painting had his heart quivering like this. It was unbelievable. He had no clue what it was, but the artwork felt familiar. Or was it the dancer?

Either way, Jongin was dying to know who the artist of this marvellous piece was. His eyes roamed all over the painting and the wall around, but a name was nowhere in sight. Jongin was flummoxed. Wasn't it standard for an artist to sign their work, or at least make clear in any way

Please log in to read the full chapter