Chapter 3

THAT WINTER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

      Seohyun fluttered her eyes open. Something had awakened her from a deep sleep. She sat up and stared around; apparently she was asleep on the plush sofa. Her book was half-opened, lying on her lap.

 

      Seohyun kept looking around. Her gaze fell on the vast ocean in front of her. The view was simply breathtaking. She stood up and smoothened her white knee length dress. To satisfy her curiosity, she slowly walked to the terrace. She gasped when its full scenery was within her sight.  

 

       The pristine beach, with white sands and crystal clear water. She knew this place very well. This was the private villa that Yonghwa rented during their summer vacation in Okinawa. It had private entrance, direct beach access and around-the-clock butler service.

   

    This was the same villa where Yonghwa had proposed to her when they were strolling along the beach, enjoying the stunning beach sunset.

 

      Seohyun unconsciously looked at her fourth finger. She smiled looking at her engagement ring. The diamond ring was extra sparkly when bathed in the bright sunlight. The diamond ring design was classic and elegant, like her personality. But its large center stone screamed glamorous and extravagant, reflecting Yonghwa personality.

 

      Jung Yonghwa. Her boyfriend. Her best friend. Her fiancé. Her everything.

 

      But where was he?

 

      She looked around again, searching for his silhouette.

 

      “Oppa? Where are you?” She called him, slowly walking down the stairs that led to the beach.

 

      But she couldn’t find anybody. Not even the butler.  

 

      “Hello? Is there anybody here?” Seohyun turned around, looking left and right.

 

     She kept walking along the beach. Then suddenly she saw two people from a distance. A man and a woman. They were strolling along the beach, walking hand in hand. They had a familiar figure but she couldn’t confirm it as their backs were facing her.

 

      She scurried toward them, keen to ask them about Yonghwa’s whereabouts.

 

      “Excuse me?” She called them. “Oh!”

 

      Seohyun was really surprised when both of them turned facing her.

 

   “Haraboeji! Halmoeni!” She broke into a big smile and quickly bowed to Mr. Lee and Mrs. Lee. She felt so relief seeing familiar faces here. “Annyeonghaseyo. I am so happy meeting both of you again.”

 

      Mr. Lee and Mrs. Lee replied her greeting with a warm smile.

 

      “Oh, you are the young lady who accompanied my wife,” Mr. Lee looked at her fondly.

 

      “Her name is Seo Joohyun, yeobo,” Mrs. Lee gently tapped her husband’s hand, albeit their hands still clasped together.

 

      “Ah.. Seo Joohyun-shi,” Mr. Lee nodded.

 

      “Deh, my name is Seo Joohyun. You can call me Seohyun,” she chuckled. “What are you doing in Okinawa? Are you on your vacation here?”

 

      Seohyun didn’t miss the meaningful gaze they had when the husband and wife looked at each other briefly.

 

     “Yes, we are on our vacation. But we are not in Okinawa,” Mrs. Lee replied, studying Seohyun’s face intently. “We enjoy our stay here, but I don’t think you should stay here for long.”

 

     “Deh? We are not in Okinawa? But…” Seohyun was bewildered by Mrs. Lee’s answer. She looked around again. The beach was exactly similar to the beach she visited in Okinawa with Yonghwa.

 

      “Seohyun-shi.. “ Mr. Lee spoke to her again. “Thank you for your kindness and courage in helping us until our last moment. We really appreciate it.”

 

      “I.. I’m sorry.. I don’t understand..” she looked at Mr. Lee in confusion.

 

      Mrs. Lee reached out for her hand and gently squeezed it. It felt oddly cold despite the beach’s warm weather.

 

    “Like I said, you shouldn’t stay here for long Seo Joohyun. I believe someone is desperately looking for you,” Mrs. Lee stared at her briefly before shifting her gaze onto something behind her.

 

      Seohyun turned her back and even from a distance, she recognized that figure anywhere.

 

      Her Yonghwa oppa.

 

      “Oh, that’s my nampyeon! I was looking for him too,” Seohyun grinned. “I must go now haraboeji, halmoeni.”

 

      Mrs. Lee gave her a tender smile, squeezing her hand again. “Remember Seo Joohyun, life is short. Please live a happy life with him.”

 

     “Deh, I will remember it halmoeni,” Seohyun bowed to them again and bid them goodbye. She watched Mr. Lee and Mrs. Lee walk away, continued taking their stroll, talking and smiling at each other.

 

     Without wasting any time, she took quick steps, almost running to Yonghwa who was standing by the shore. He seemed in a deep thought, oblivious to her presence.

 

     “Yong oppa!” She called him excitedly, while catching her breath. “Yonghwa oppa!”

 

     But Yonghwa seemed unaware of her. Seohyun slowed down her walk and approached him. “Opp -”

 

     She was left speechless when looking at his face. His face was gaunt, his eyes were lifeless. Yonghwa kept staring at the sea, tears slowly coursing down his cheeks.

 

      “Yonghwa oppa…” she called him again with concern. “What’s wrong oppa? Why are you crying?”

 

      “Seohyun-ah..” Yonghwa whispered. “Seo Joohyun..”

 

      “Oppa.. I’m here,” she answered, but he didn’t seem to hear her.

 

     Seohyun tried to grab his hand, but she was so shocked when her hands reached nothing but an empty air. She stared at her hands in disbelief. She tried to touch his hand again, but nothing changed.

 

      Is this an illusion? Or is this a dream?

 

      Seohyun asked herself again and again.

 

    She turned around, searching for Mr. Lee and Mrs. Lee. They should be nearby, since she just left them moments ago. But she couldn’t see them anymore.

 

      Her focus shifted back on Yonghwa when she heard him speak again.

 

     “Hyun.. I had told you right? You are bonded to me.. as much I am bonded to you. You can’t go anywhere without me.. but you still go...” Yonghwa was now crying earnestly.

 

      Yonghwa took something out of his pocket. It was her engagement ring box. Yonghwa sobbed harder when he opened the box.

 

      Seohyon couldn’t believe her eyes when seeing her diamond ring nestled safely inside the box. She looked at her fourth finger again.

 

      Her engagement ring was missing from her finger, and the ring now was in the box.

 

     “What on earth is going on here?” She whispered, looking at the box and her finger back and forth. She tried to think but nothing was making sense now. She tried to take the box from his hand, but she failed to reach anything again.

 

      “I can’t live without you Hyun.. My life is meaningless without you..” Yonghwa said between his sobs, still looking at the ring.   

 

      Yonghwa wiped his tears and closed the box. “We promised to be together.. forever. Then let’s go together. I will meet you there Hyun..”

 

      His face was set in determination then he started walking towards the sea.

 

      “No! Oppa! I’m here!” She shouted in panic, trying to stop him from walking into the sea.

 

      But her effort to stop him was pointless. Her scream seemed to fall on deaf ears.

 

      “Oppa jaebalyo.. I’m here, I’m not leaving you.. Oppa please stop..” She cried and begged him, hoping he could hear her somehow. 

 

      But Yonghwa kept walking. His body had already been underwater, only his head was visible to her.

 

      She saw him closed his eyes and walked further…

 

      Seohyun screamed and screamed again, begging him to walk back…

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter