Chapter 2

THAT WINTER
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     

     

 

       

 

 

 

 

       

      I’m falling, I’m falling for you, adrenaline ah~ adrenaline ah~ adrenaline ah~

 

      Seohyun’s phone blared loudly in the quiet bedroom. Startled out of his sleep by the ringtone, Yonghwa groaned and pulled his pillow over his head, trying to escape from the noise.   

 

      But the sound did not stop.

 

      “Hyunah.. your phone,” Yonghwa croaked, still half asleep.

 

      But he didn’t hear any response from her. Still closing his eyes, his hand moved on its own, trying to wake her up but he only reached an empty spot next to him.  

 

      Yonghwa silently prayed to whoever was calling Seohyun to stop. He wanted to continue his sleep.

 

      Then the phone stopped ringing.

 

      Finally. Peace.

 

     After a few moments, the phone rang again. in frustration, Yonghwa forced himself to wake up and fumbled on the bedside table for Seohyun’s phone. Rubbing his eyes, he squinted his eyes to see the caller.

 

     Ommonim.

 

     Huh? Why does his mom call Seohyun so early in the morning?

 

     Leaning on the headboard, he tapped the phone screen to receive the call.

 

      “Omma.. Good mooaahningg..” he yawned, still fighting his sleepiness.

 

      “Oh? Yonghwa ya.. Are you still sleeping?”

 

       “Hmm.. I was enjoying my sweet dream until you called..” He mumbled, grabbing his pillow and lied down again. He yawned and closed his eyes. “It’s still early omma.. I want to continue sleeping.”  

 

      “Yah! Wake up! Hyunnie omma is next to me. You are embarrassing me!” Mrs. Jung replied to him in a scolding, whispering tone.

 

  His eyes shot opened instantly and he straightened his body. His sleepiness was gone in seconds. “D-deh omma.. I’m awake now.”

 

      “Hold on Yonghwa ya.. I need to pay for this. Oh my fingers are freezing!”

 

     He tried to figure out what his mother was doing. He heard faint murmuring and rustling voices in Busan dialect. They probably went to the morning market.

 

      “Hello Yonghwa. This is Joohyun omma. Good morning!”

 

      Yonghwa chuckled listening to Seohyun’s omma attempt to greet him in Busan dialect. Clearing his throat, he tried to sound awake when replying to her.

 

      “Good morning ommonim. What are you doing?”

 

      “We are at Jagalchi Market. There are a lot of fresh seafood here! We are planning to make soy sauce marinated crabs today.”

 

       “Are you enjoying your time in Busan ommonim? Where is abeonim?”

 

       “We enjoy spending our time here. Joohyun appa wants to try fishing with your appa later. He said he won’t return to Seoul until he catches one! I wish both of you can join us in Busan. Thank you Yonghwa for arranging this holiday for us.”

 

      Yonghwa smiled listening to Seohyun’s mother chatter that was almost similar to Seohyun’s whenever she was excited about something.

 

     “I am glad you enjoy spending your time there. Please be careful with the cold weather ommonim, don’t catch a cold. The snowfall in Seoul is quite bad, all airports here are closed.”

 

     “Yes, we knew about it when watching the news. Thank God it rarely snows in Busan. Wait, I think your mother wants to discuss that with you.”

 

     “Yonghwa, omma’s here. We are thinking of driving to Seoul if Gimpo Airport is still closed. We don’t want to miss having Christmas dinner with you.”

 

      Yonghwa’s heart warmed with his mother’s words. Since they announced their engagement years ago – which was only known to their families and close friends, every year they will have Christmas dinner together; his family and Seohyun’s family.

 

       Last year his mother gladly hosted the dinner in Busan. They travelled to Busan with Seohyun’s parents and spent a few days there. Yonghwa could only shake his head when looking at the amount of dishes that his mother cooked for the dinner. This year, he and Seohyun volunteered to host the dinner at their house in Seoul.     

 

        “Are you sure appa wants to drive to Seoul omma? Traffic can be quite bad during heavy snowfall,” he replied with concern.

 

       “Kwenchana. We will be bringing a lot of things with us, and your appa is willing to drive. You know your appa likes to drive. 5 hours of drive is nothing for him.”

 

       “Why don’t we wait until a day before you come here, the airport might be opened by then.”

 

       “Arasseo. I will tell your father about your suggestion. Ah, please tell Hyunnie, she doesn’t need to cook a lot. Hyunnie omma and I already prepared a lot of dishes for you.”

 

       “Deh omma. I will tell her. Please take care of your health. Don’t stay outside for too long. Don’t forget to take your vitamins okay?”

 

       “Omo omo, you sound like Hyunnie! But don’t be a nag okay?” Mrs. Jung chuckled.

 

     “Aniyo! It was not a nag, I was just reminding you,” Yonghwa scowled.

 

      “You must be scowling right now. Wake up and freshen yourself up! I need to go now Yonghwa ya.”

 

        He bid him mother goodbye and stretched his limbs on the bed. He was about to put her phone back on the bedside table but the phone home screen caught his attention. Seohyun must have changed the home screen after waking up this morning.

 

         It was a photo collage of Seohyun and him when they were children – it was set as the phone’s home screen. Yonghwa couldn’t help but smirked. Their conversation last night replayed in his mind. It seemed he was not the only one thinking about their children.

 

         “Good morning uri adul, good morning uri ttal. Appa and omma will give our best to be the best parents to you. I will wait patiently until the day I can kiss and hug you, my babies,” Yonghwa cooed to the photo while smiling like a fool.

 

          After freshening up, he grabbed their phones and walked out of the bedroom. The delicious smell of kimchi stew drifted from the kitchen. Seohyun must have started her day by preparing their breakfast.

 

          Yonghwa walked to the kitchen counter and stared at the most beautiful scene in front of him; his woman in the kitchen apron, stirring the stew on the stove. He cleared his throat, smiling to the angel who was still focused on her cooking.

 

      “Oh, good morning oppa! Did you sleep well?” Seohyun greeted him.

 

       “Good morning love..” He walked to her and slowly sneaked his hands around her waist, giving her a back hug. “Yeah I slept well. How was your sleep? Of course you slept soundly after you came 3 times last night.”

 

       “Aish oppa!” She blushed.

 

       “Or was it 4 times? I lost count.”

 

       He couldn’t more when suddenly Seohyun stomped on his foot, leaving him jumped in pain.

 

       Seohyun turned off the stove and crossed her arms, looking at the man who was pouting and sulking like a 5-year-old boy.

 

       “This is what you get for teasing me in the morning,” Seohyun giggled and stepped closer to him. She stood on her toes and kissed his pouting lips.

 

        Instantly his pouting lips changed to a smile as he continued kissing her a few times more.

 

        “Aren’t you tired of kissing me oppa..” She asked breathlessly when Yonghwa pulled her closer for a deeper kiss.

       

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter