Chapter 2

A Weak In Another World

 

“I'll come too.” I said but Kyumi pulled her arm away, shaking her head as she walked towards the door,  leaving me in silence with an angry Tiara. “Don't hurt me… you scare me.” I said to her, finally turning to the food. As I began to eat, I saw her coming closer out of the corner of my eye, her eyes seemed wide. 'Can I make her my friend if I give her some food?’ I tried to ignore the stalking eyes. Feeling cheeky, I threw a bit of food to the side near my leg. I never had a pet before but something made me take to her, even though she made me uneasy. Then just like that Tiara was next to me waiting for more food, her face following my hand with every bite I took. Her beak opening hopefully with each movement of my hand.

 

I spent my time trying to eat and giving a crumb here and there to Tiara who stayed cuddling with me now, realising that she could get food if she was nice to me. Eventually I ran out of food and just started petting her, surprised that she let me do this with no growling or anything. The sensation of feathers turning to fur was so different and strange. I spent the rest of the day just chilling with her, sometimes bunching my socks and throwing them across the room watching her bring them back like a game of fetch. Before I knew it night had come and still Kyumi hadn't shown up, the room was dark, so I stayed on my new bed, comforted by the feeling of Tiara’s warmth against my leg, her legs and wings feeling odd yet normal at this point. Then she moved fast, head jumping up turning to the direction of the door, as it slowly opened. 

      “I'm back~” I heard the voice through the doorway but barely saw anything there, “oh, you can't see in the dark?” The question seemed so weird to me. 'See in the dark?’ I couldn't understand what she meant. Then a little flame flickered in the doorway. “That should help.” I could see a little bit of light now, making the room a very pale orange.

      “Why are you being so nice to me?” I had only been here for a day and she was treating me like she knew me for much longer. “I can't do anything for you, so why are you doing this?” I couldn't see her face well but I could see her coming closer.

      “I want to help you get home,” I felt as though I heard something similar before coming here, “you helped me so it's only fair.” And with that she turned into a fox for the first time since I saw her, the candle now being held in as she placed it on the floor. “I want to be fair, but I think getting you home will be much harder, if at all possible…” She spoke to me but I couldn't see how she did, her lips not moving. She came towards the bed jumping up next to Tiara, who was back to being cuddled next to me as I lay down. Kyumi snuggled next to Tiara, their closeness becoming very apparent, they used each other as a pillow curling around each other, looking like a little sand patch. I stared at them curled up together and couldn’t help but miss my own home. ‘She’s a little blunt, but very comfortable around people.’ Reaching my hand out I tried to pet Kyumi. Before I could touch her I saw a shimmer as she opened an eye to look at me. Snapping my hand back I turned to face the window, letting the night noises pull me into sleep.

 

-----

  

     Light started to creep in through the window as I opened my eyes. Stretching my arms above my head, I looked to the other side of the bed, realising Kyumi and Tiara were gone. I shot upright feeling nervous about being left alone, looking around, I saw Tiara playing with one of my still balled up socks. Now sitting at the edge of the bed I leaned on my knees watching her play, the company making me calm down. As she played her tail waved back and forth, while her wings flapped excitedly. Glancing around I saw a food tray on the night table, amazed that it was untouched, with a folded note next to it. I reached out to grab it, opening it it read:

 

Amari,

I’ll be out for the day, so feel free to go out on the town! I left Tiara with you for protection. She’s more fond of you than I thought. Lilliane, the innkeeper, knows I’m leaving you for the day. Go to her for information or food. I’ll be back after nightfall.

Be safe and have fun!

-Kyumi

P.S. Don’t stare at people… act natural!

 

Looking back up I saw Tiara sitting next to my food, mouth open over a small piece as if she waited for me to be awake before trying to take my food.

“No!” I pulled the food away. “That’s mine, unless I give you some.” She looked at me with sharp eyes. “Just because you got left here with me doesn’t mean you’re in charge.” I gave the same eyes back and began to eat my food. Holding the tray I turned to the other side of the bed facing the window, watching what I could see below. “Tiara, should I really risk going out?” I found myself talking to her,comforted by the company and to my surprise she sat next to me putting her foot on my lap. Watching her eyes, she looked at me and then the food and back to me. “You just want the food.” She squawked and jumped for the plate. I pulled it away just in time, making her land in my lap. “If we go out will you leave my food alone!?” She stayed still for a moment before suddenly running to the door bouncing around all excited. Finishing my food, I went to collect my socks and put on my shoes before going to open the door for the hyper Tiara, who was waiting hopping from foot to foot. Finally having the door open she launched forward squeezing passed me and out the door at full speed, all I heard were claws on the floor skating away. I stood frozen. ‘Did I just lose her?’ Slowly leaving the room and checking down the hall I saw a shadow go by and the next thing I knew I was pushed onto the floor. ‘What the hell?’ I picked my head up only to see Tiara in my face with bright eyes. ‘I guess you were the shadow…’ Picking her up, she cuddled up in my arms all comfy, a weird purring sound coming from her. Walking down the stairs for the first time since I got here, being careful in picking my way down. I went to the front desk, waiting for the person Kyumi called Lillianne in her note.

“Can I help you?” A voice came from behind me. Turning I saw a little old lady with ears and a tail as well. Though hers were speckled with grey. “Oh! Pardon me, you’re Kyumi’s friend.” Her change in attitude took me off guard and not so sure what she meant by friend, I just nodded. “Need anything?” She had a more cheerful tone to her voice, she continued passing me and heading behind the counter.

     “Well, I just want to know about the town, and how money works.” I realised I said something odd when she looked at me differently. “Uh, more I don’t have any…” Realising I was saying weird things I slowly started trailing off and looked at the floor.

“Well then, I can’t help you there.” A hint of aggression in her voice. “As for the town, other than the fact that it’s called Sanoul, there’s not much I can tell you. Why not just go look around?” She went off to the cupboards behind the counter, now ignoring me, rummaging through some papers, occasionally looking at me from the side, almost to see if I left.

‘Just look around?’ Glancing at the door, the faint noises of the people coming from outside. Tiara, looking up at me, chirped as if to encourage me to go. Trusting her, I took a step to the door, gradually walking closer until I was in front of it. Looking at the doorknob I finally twisted it opening the door. It was bright outside, yellow light from the sun made it cheerful and inviting. Taking a few tentative steps, I was outside. Tiara jumped out of my arms as soon as we got out, landing lightly and lifting her tail up in the air. Her eyes now looked cheerful. Following her around, she became my guide leading me, mainly to food stalls. I realised I was in the middle of the town whose shape was almost like a giant circle. “I can’t buy you anything here… I don’t have money.” I whispered to her as I knelt beside her but from what I could tell she was just happy to be outside, after all Kyumi had said she doesn’t take her out much. Looking around I could see some other creatures like Tiara with the other Fox-shifters. I was happy to be out as well, but something felt odd after a while. For the first time since being outside I realised all eyes were examining me carefully. Slowly as I focused I could hear whispers more clearly:

 

  “An Elf?”

  “But he has round ears.”

  “He’s offly tall.”

  “He has to be from around here! He has a Griffin.”

  “I hear he’s staying at the Inn.”

  “We should ask Lillianne who he is.”

  “Lillianne wouldn’t take in a stranger.”

  “All the more reason to ask her.”

  “Kyumi’s been out nearly every night.”

  “She’s always up to no good.”

 

     Finally having heard enough, and having walked around for a good amount of time, I looked at Tiara and tried to reason with her to take me home. Well, more take me to the Inn. But she was more interested in the snacks at the stall we were next to. 

             “I’ll give some of my food to you if you bring me back.” Her eyes landed on me, examining for a moment. And then just like that she led me back, unsure if it was imagination or not but she seemed grumpy.