Chapter 12

A Weak In Another World

“Excuse me? Deer of the Dead?” Pearl snarled in her wolf form, the fur on her hackles raised. “Are you trying to tell me that she died only to become a stupid deer?!” She took a leap forward but was stopped by Phoenix who changed into a wolf and pinned her to the floor. The rest of us were silent, tensions clearly rising.

“Then where did my Aunt get her deer?” Kyumi’s voice was shaking. “She said she found Spits’s family when he was young.” She dropped Tiara, as she fell to her knees.

“Then these deer you speak of were previously another creature who died before they could complete their purpose.” Tinthelle chimed in, Tears now flowed down Kyumi’s face, Phoenix glanced over returning to his human form to wrap Kyumi in his arms, as we were all frozen in place.

“Just because her Aunt has them, doesn’t mean anything.” I found myself trying to calm the situation as tensions kept rising. “Right?” Turning to Minalith I begged for an answer. The rules of this world always brought me more confusion.

“Well, it does mean something.” Minalith glanced around the group. “See, these deer live in the darkest parts of the forest, hiding from those who might hunt them. They live in a place where no light reaches, so the tails help them to see. The only time you’ll get to see them is when the one who died comes to say a final goodbye, before leaving for the forest. Once they say their farewells they leave on instinct and over time forget the past they had.” She explained this fact as though that was something that was well known among everyone. “So this means someone close to Kyumi’s Aunt had died and came to say goodbye. Since this information is only known by the elves it’s understandable that a Fox-shifter would see this animal thinking it was merely a friendly deer, since these are the animals you use as mounts.” I tried to think back to think back to anyone who they could be to try and help clear this up, only to remember I wasn’t from here.

“It’s alright.” Kyumi was wiping her face. “It just means that they couldn’t say goodbye, so that makes me happy that they tried. And I think I know who the deer were.” Phoenix still held her protectively. Meanwhile we stayed wondering who she meant. “I can think of only a few people they could be. My parents had been killed in the war against the Wolf-shifters.” The feeling of aggression in the group rising at the mention of the past war and I couldn’t handle it. A heavy silence hovered over the group. The war was always brought up and I didn’t understand it very well but I hated it.

“SO! Why don’t we plan how to get me home?!” I blurted out while jumping up. All eyes were now on me. Feeling awkward, I slowly sat back down.

“He’s right, let’s head out again, I don’t like the thought of being under prying eyes.” Pearl, having calmed down, brought us all back to the day at hand.

“I agree, we need to get going.” Phoenix stood up, keeping Kyumi’s hand in his own. “Destroy the camp, we’ve already lost a lot of daylight.” Everyone followed the orders as we got ready to go.

“We will come and help.” Minalith called out, while Tinthelle stood behind her looking annoyed. Pearl having taken the role of leader, nodded and started off in the lead. 

 

We traveled for the day, free of incidents and at a good pace. Minalith stayed by my side, while Tinthelle watched from further back with Flare who was watching me carefully, occasionally they would whisper to the other. Phoenix and Kyumi walked hand in hand, and if not then they stayed by the other. Once we reached a place worthy of camping, we stopped, feeling at ease we all slept. Getting up early the next day to cover more ground. None of us knew where we were going nor if it was the right way. But we kept on until we got to another clearing by the time the sun started to set, choosing to spend the night. Feeling relieved at the two days of peace. Feeling like there was no way it could last. 

 

“How are you getting home?” Minalith sat next to me on a rock. I glanced at her, the moonlight mixed with the fire made her hair almost glow. She stayed close to me since she and Tinthelle joined our little group. It felt like she was the first one since I had been here who was being friendly just to be friendly, no other intentions seeming to exist.

“We don’t know.” Hanging my head, I was struck with a sudden longing for my old life. “We are just wandering until we find a clue.” I could feel eyes boring into my back, turning my head I could see Flare and Tinthelle, with Tiara, all hiding behind a tree. “You’d think they thought one of us was gonna die.” I joked, only to see Minalith tilt her head questioningly as if what I said was the dumbest thing she had heard.

“Well, no, they’re afraid of us becoming like Phoenix and Kyumi.” She spoke very calmly while I sat confused, trying to figure out what she meant. “A couple.” She said the words so bluntly and I found myself blushing and jumping up.

“N-no way!” The thought of dating Minalith felt off. She flinched at my words. “Sorry, it’s not that I wouldn’t want to… I just couldn’t possibly… I mean it’s just for when I go home… Besides, there’s someone else I’m interested in if in the end it turns out I can’t leave…” I could feel the air growing awkward as those listening tried to sneak closer. ‘Why did I think of not leaving?’ I could feel all of them looking at me, clearly finding my reaction interesting. “Ah! No, I can’t say it. I’m going home soon. I can’t like anyone.” I sat back down, leaning on my legs. “That’s right I’m going home soon…” I felt my heart sink as I let my head drop. 

“Don’t be afraid, you can tell me.” Minalith had sparkling eyes, as she waited for me to explain. “Just because you are going back doesn’t mean you can’t have affections for someone for a short time. It’ll put you at ease.” She put her hand on my shoulder, pulling me closer, leaning our heads together so I wouldn’t have to speak loudly.

“Well, I won’t name them by name, but this person has been nice to me for awhile since I’ve met them, though they’ve switched to being distant on and off. They’ve also stood up for me many times and saved me a few times as well. They’re very nice and caring, never once caring about me being different. I’m not sure if they think the same way though.” Feeling my cheeks flush pink, I stood up abruptly, heading off to a corner away from the fire to sleep. Keeping my back to the group, feeling embarrassed, I closed my eyes. ‘What was I saying! Flare obviously liked Ember. He’s just being friendly with me.’  I force myself to try and sleep feeling annoyed at my thoughts.

 

A deep growling came from in front of me, causing me to be frozen in place with fear. From the edge of the clearing I could see a large shape coming forward. Gradually I found myself sitting up only to be greeted with a large head, filled with sharp teeth, right next to my face. Before I had time to scream I felt myself being flung to the side.

“Is this the bear?!” I heard Flare yell from above me. Looking up I could see he was in his wolf form, which I always thought was a beautiful brown. ‘Now’s not the time for this!’ His hackles were raised and his tail was spiked out. 

“This is exactly that bear!” Tinthelle called from the other side of the animal. It was larger than I could’ve imagined and unlike the bears I knew it’s tail was slightly longer and it’s back slightly arched. “Minalith, take Amari and hide!” After the order was shouted I felt myself being once again grabbed and pulled off in another direction.

“You expected to fight this on your own?!” Kyumi called in shock, looking miniature next to the bear.

“What else were we going to do?” Minalith shouted back from where she held me in place. “Just watch.” She smiled at me, her eyes hinting that she wouldn’t let me go join in on the fighting.

 

Deciding to cooperate I just sat watching everyone preparing to fight. Kyumi and Phoenix being the only ones who stayed in their human forms where Flare and Pearl had taken their wolf forms. Tinthelle stood facing the bear head on, looking fearless to me.

“It’s weak point is just behind its neck, so just give me enough of an opening! And don’t get in my way.” Tinthelle shouted to everyone as they exchanged glances. 

 

Pearl was the first to charge her growling feeling so aggressive that I myself was feeling scared. From where I was I could see everything that was happening clearly. After Pearl went to fight the bear it swung a giant paw at her only to have Phoenix come in to cut at the paw with his sword. Kyumi stayed close behind him taking the chance to climb Phoenix’s shoulders and run up the arm of the bear. In the same moment Flare charged at the bear's other side, snarling as he grabbed its ankle in his teeth, shaking his head to cause as much damage as possible. Pearl Jumped up to do the same to the bear’s back foot, causing the animal to shriek in pain. Tinthelle had somehow made her way to a tree behind the bear, as she was getting ready with her bow to take her shot the bear kicked it’s back leg sending Pearl flying at Tinthelle who caught her, falling out of the tree in the process.

“Stay here and don’t move! I can’t just watch!” Minalith was now running around the side heading to where Tinthelle had been.

 

Kyumi, having kept her grip on the bear’s fur, stabbed her dagger into its shoulder. Shock filled her eyes as it shook violently sending her to the ground where Phoenix caught her. Flare being the last one to distract the bear, jumped at its throat. Just before he made it the bear took one of its legs and pinned Flare to the ground, a yelp escaping from his mouth as his eyes widened. Phoenix and Pearl ran to his side, Phoenix now in his wolf form, as they both bit down on the foot that pinned Flare down. Snarls and growls were filling the air as I just stayed frozen in place.

“NOW!” Kyumi yelled from somewhere off to the side as I saw something flash before striking the bear in the neck. The pain caused it to lift its front legs, giving Phoenix the chance to pull Flare away. One last time something flew through the sky landing in the bears neck, this last shot being enough to kill the beast as it fell.

“Minalith I thought I told you to watch Amari!” Tinthelle yelled from behind the bear’s body.

“He wasn’t going to go anywhere! And you needed help!” Minalith responded coming out of a tree, a bow and arrow in hand. “Besides, fear is the best way to make someone stay put.” She looked to me smiling, as if it was meant to make me feel better. Pulling my eyes from the elves I found where Phoenix had dragged Flare away. He was still in his wolf form making fear strike me far worse than before. Not taking the time to think I ran to his side. ‘No no no… Don’t be true.’

“Flare?” I whispered as I picked up his head, gently resting it on my legs. As he lay there I felt him change into a human resting his head on my lap, a smile on his face. I let out a sigh, not realising I had been holding my breath .

“Sure that hurt but it’s not enough to take me out.” Flare opened his eyes to look at me and I could feel my eyes filling with tears. “Oi, I’m not dead, stop it.” He lifted his hand hitting my temple.

“That was the most reckless thing I’ve ever seen you do.” Pearl snarled as she walked closer to us, still a wolf. “First you jump head first into a battle before even knowing your opponent, then you go and jump straight up of all places completely eliminating any chance to defend yourself!” Her anger towards him confused me.

“Pearl, give him a break, he saved Amari and distracted the bear long enough to give both Tinthelle and Minalith a clear shot.” Phoenix walked forwards holding a shaking Tiara by the wings, who’s eyes were wider than anything I’d ever seen. “I get you have a different way of fighting but I find what he did was pretty good.” He handed the terrified animal to me, she was curled into herself and looked like a puppy being held by it’s parent.

“Either way let’s just rest, we still have to head out tomorrow.” Kyumi plopped herself to the floor, lying down and closing her eyes.

 

Deciding to do the same I lied on my side still holding Tiara, who curled up into me now rather than herself. Phoenix chose to stay on guard duty, while Pearl curled up next to him ignoring any protests he gave. My back felt warm as I looked over to the side to see Flare as a wolf just snuggled next to me, placing himself in a ball and resting his head on my side. Tinthelle and Minalith leaned against some trees. After making sure everyone was safe I let myself close my eyes.

 

-----

 

The next day felt strange, Minalith and Tinthelle spent our beginning of the walk whispering. Flare kept an eye on me while we traveled and Tiara stayed near Kyumi, always glancing back at me. I, for the first time in a long time, felt homesick and completely alone. The sound of leaves rustling caught my attention, the previous night flashing in my mind as we traveled onward. We reached a clearing where we decided to rest for a moment and have a snack, everyone still recovering. The sound of leaves rustling continued, but I couldn't feel a breeze.

“Guys…” I felt myself trying to get their attention. But none of them looked or seemed to be listening. “I think we’re being wa-” I stopped in the middle of my sentence as something shiny flew through the trees. Watching where it was going, I could see it was going to hit one of us but I couldn’t pinpoint who.

“Minalith!” The scream coming from Tinthelle rang out before I could call anymore warnings. My eyes landed on Minalith who was lying on the ground in front of Tinthelle, her eyes glazed over, a familiar dagger in her chest. “Minalith! Minalith!” before I could find the time to think I ran off in the direction of where the dagger came from. “Mina-” The words cut out as I ran off. ‘This time i’ll save you guys!’ Not wanting to be useless anymore.

“Amari!” A faint shout from Kyumi sounded from behind me, before I took a sharp turn losing her. I burst through the trees into a clearing full of sunlight, it looked similar to the one from my dream. A familiar shape in the middle.

“So you found me.” The voice was sharp. I stood frozen, unsure of what to do now that I was facing it. “You can’t protect those you hold dear.” The creature slowly changed into its grotesque shape. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Tiara fly at the creature, shrieking. Scared of what it might do to her I ran after her, trying to grab her. Before I could reach her, the creature opened its mouth and I was greeted by the smell of death. “Your wish to leave is granted.” The words echoed throughout the clearing, feeling like something hit me. I froze, my vision going black and my body feeling heavy, I found myself falling to the ground.

 

“Amari!”The voice was unfamiliar, but soft. “Amari why?” I opened my eyes, my body still feeling heavy. Above me I could see a face I didn’t recognise. Large wings were folded behind this unfamiliar woman. Her hair was strawberry blond with a white streak in the front. Tears rolled off her cheeks landing on my face. She held me on her lap, a soft caramel colored tail resting on my legs. The dark grey eyes looking back at me strangely familiar.

“Tiara?” My voice sounded hoarse as I spoke. The woman nodded, tears still streaming down her face. “You’re a Shifter?” I could feel her shaking while she held me.

“I wanted to talk to you, but not like this…” She tried to smile to make me not worry. “I didn’t want it to be like this…” She shook her head, her ears, like those of a cat, folding back.

“This was his wish.” The voice of the creature came from above us, as I could see it’s body coming closer. Tiara hissed at the creature, her wings spreading over me trying to protect me. “Relax child.” It sounded caring. “You were the only other person in that group who I could see fit to take the power I was trying to give. So use it well. You may go now.” A hand brushed my head and with that it began to shrink, until it was nothing but a color patched weasel.

“I don’t understand what it meant.” Tiara stopped crying only to be surrounded by light. Looking down towards my hands, I lifted one up to my face only to see it scatter into a cloud of sparks. “Amari no!” I turned my eyes to look at Tiara’s face as it slowly faded from my view, the sparkles reflecting in her eyes looking like the night sky before leaving me with nothing.