Epilogue

A Weak In Another World

 

“Welcome, the apartment is this way.” The landlord said, bringing me in through the building. “Now, I can say that the previous owner just left without a word, that’s why the apartment is fully furnished.” He stopped us in front of a door, putting a key into the lock, turning it, unlocking it then turning the handle to open the door.

“Is there an extra charge for the furniture?” I asked as we walked in. The apartment was small, the bedroom was where the living room was and right next to the kitchen. “If that’s the case then I won’t be signing anything today.” Everything was clean and fresh, despite being emptied for over a month.

“No, no, there’s no charge for the furniture. I haven’t been able to find anyone willing to claim it.” The landlord leaned against a wall as I went looking around the small area. “So is it to your liking?” He smiled when I sat on the bed, running my hands across the covers.

“Ya, it’s not bad.” I had a strange feeling of familiarity with the things in the room. “My last question: are pets allowed in this building?” I glanced over at the man leaning on the wall who was starting to look frustrated at my questions. ‘Not the first time someone acted like I asked too many questions.’

“Yes, pets are allowed. It’s also very close to the university, and a public park.” He answered in a very monotone voice. “I’ll give you a week to make a decision.” He started to head to the door.

“I’ll sign for it.” He stopped dead in his tracks as I gave my answer. “Give me a week and I’ll be moved in.” I turned heading out the door, followed by the stunned landlord.

 

-----

 

The week went by fast as I made the preparations to move into the apartment. Finally being settled in, I sat looking out the window which overlooked the street below. The landlord questioned me many times after he heard my name. I couldn’t understand the reason for this until he explained that the previous tenant had the same name as me. Chalking it up to nothing but coincidence, I ignored him signing and moving in anyways. After moving in I slowly met my neighbors. One of them was really friendly with me from the start. He was energetic and very extroverted, not the usual person I’d become friends with. Eventually I realised he went to my school and had all the same classes as me. He became close to me fast, waiting for me everyday after classes and making sure I never zoned out for too long, introducing himself as Jaemun. A chirp came from the floor near my feet. Glancing down I saw my cat sitting there with her green eyes wide. “It’s not time to eat yet.” But she chirped at me again jumping up onto my lap. I always found she responded when I spoke to her, almost as if she fully understood me. Lifting my hand to pet her soft caramel colored fur, she started purring. “It’s nice to be settled in, isn’t it Tiara?” In response, she purred louder, closing her eyes to sleep. “Ya, it’s nice to be home.” I turned my attention back to the window, a small park visible with small bushes dotting the grass. “I’ll have to go there after class one day.” I smiled, feeling my mind settling and feeling peaceful. “I wonder what’s so special about the name Amari?” I laughed to myself, knowing the world could be a strange place.