Chapter 9

A Weak In Another World

I let my eyes open slowly as I woke up to light in my face, my body surrounded by warmth. Feeling like I was covered in fur, I sat up looking around and running my hands all over my body. ‘No fur, thank god.’ I sighed, seeing I was surrounded by the Wolf-shifters, Kyumi and Tiara, each one curled up near me. Without thinking I began to pet each wolf in turn. ‘So soft…’ My hand getting near Ember, I saw her eyes snap open and I pulled my hand away quickly.

 

“Don’t even think about it.” She snapped, her eyes slowly turning to look at me. Calmly she got up, still a wolf, as she moved away to lie in a patch of sunlight, her black fur giving off a hint of brown.

 

“Don’t mind her.” Phoenix got up next, changing to his human form. Patting me on the head, he went off into the woods alone, not waiting to tell anyone where he was going.

 

 

 

Still sitting, I thought back to the previous day. All of our stuff had gone, the horses and Spits were nowhere to be seen. ‘I guess they sent them off when I was asleep.’ I decided to get up, still holding Tiara. She seemed to be the most content in my arms. Though I found myself putting her on the floor, waking her up in the process. ‘It’s safer since I seem to be a target for something.’ Tiara sat looking at me confused. She decided to follow me around for the time being.

 

“Where’s Phoenix?” Kyumi asked, walking around the clearing nervously. Everyone stopped what they were doing to look at her, all of us confused, as we had seen him leave. ‘Maybe she was still asleep when he left?’

 

“He went into the woods.” As I said this she snapped around to look at me before she ran off into the woods. The rest of us left just stood there for a moment before Pearl ran off after Kyumi, rolling her eyes at the same time. “What’d I say wrong?” I asked, granting glares from Ember and Flare who seemed to refuse to answer. Tiara jumped onto my shoulder, then decided my head had the better vantage point and was also somewhere that made it harder for me to grab her.

 

 

 

We stayed in the clearing for the morning and I watched Ember teaching Flare how to fight, being much more gentle than how she was with me, actually taking the time to correct him. ‘So she just wanted to prove I was useless.’ At the edge of the clearing I saw movement, as I jumped into a defensive position, not even knowing how I would protect myself, but to my surprise Phoenix came in holding some dead animals.

 

“I figured we would need food to start the day, since we sent the carriage back.” He said, looking around at who was left. “Where’s Kyumi?” He asked looking more when nobody answered. “And Pearl?” He dropped the animals on the floor, a hint of aggression in his voice.

 

“The Fox is with me.” Pearl said as she emerged from the other side of the clearing. She held Kyumi, who looked very confused in her fox form, by the scruff of her neck. “She bolted off after you,” Kyumi’s ears flung back and she narrowed her eyes at the statement, while Phoenix looked between the two women, “so, since I don’t trust her, I went to catch her.” Pearl threw Kyumi towards me, as I struggled to catch her.

 

“You can trust her Pearl.” Phoenix sounded aggressive, his tail slightly fluffed, while Pearl braced herself for an attack. Not wanting any fights I stepped up, blocking them from each other's view. “Forget it, let’s eat and then head out.” He set off to pick up the animals and set up the wood for a fire. Pearl relaxed as he turned away. Kyumi wiggled in my arms as I looked down to see her back to being human. Feeling suddenly embarrassed, I dropped her on the floor. Completely ignoring me, she went to help Phoenix prepare everything. Meanwhile I resumed watching them, slowly finding myself zoning out.

 

“Hey pet!” I felt something smack my head as I turned to see Ember holding food and a stick. “Eat, we leave as soon as you finish.” With that she gave me the food, walking off to sit next to Flare and Pearl, Flare was eyeing me carefully, the aggression from earlier seemingly gone. Not wanting to piss Ember off, I listened, eating what was handed to me.

 

 

 

-----

 

 

 

After I finished eating, we packed up our mini camp, heading into the woods. I followed them in silence as we walked. Feeling like I had to learn how to do something, I spent my time thinking of different ways I might be able to help, but every idea I came up with just left me shaking my head, knowing I didn’t have a clue how to do any of them. This kept on for a few hours, until I found myself tripping over a root. I felt myself being caught, looking up I found myself face to face with Flare, his eyes seeming even more green surrounded by the trees. Blush seemed to creep up my face as we stayed like that.

 

“Oops!” After noticing I had been staring into his eyes, his own cheeks flushed pink. Then he let go, causing me to fall the rest of the way to the floor. Giving up on continuing for the day, I decided to stay on the floor. “Guys! He fell!” Flare called, as I heard the group stop. ‘No you dropped me.’ I narrowed my eyes as best I could, but Flare seemed like he was acting different.

 

“Then carry him.” I heard Pearl call from somewhere closer to the front. Looking up I saw Flare looking even more annoyed as he listened to his mentor, picking me up and placing me piggy back style. “We can’t stop yet. When night falls we stop.” Pearl made sure to call back to us as everyone started to walk again. Tiara, feeling the need to protect me, sat on Flare’s head.

 

“Oh no you don’t! I’m not carrying both of you.” Flare reached a hand up to grab Tiara, who screeched, digging her claws into his head while flapping her wings, causing him to yelp in pain. “FINE!” He yelled, making everyone look back. This made me giggle more to myself.

 

“Scream any louder and we will be found again genius.” Ember called from behind us. I couldn’t tell if she looked tired or annoyed. So I kept my head close to Flare’s, hoping he would just turn and ignore her. But he looked at her, examining carefully. “Flare, if you have time to check on me, you have time to walk.” Ember sneered at him, making him change from concerned to nervous in an instant, as he spun around continuing on.

 

 

 

Feeling surprised at how strong Flare was, I let myself rest on him. The fact that he was the same size as me, made it more amazing that he could carry me so easily. Tiara was now just resting on both our shoulders, choosing to have her rear facing Flare while her front stayed on me. Closing my eyes, I let myself listen to all the noises around us. Among some of the sounds a strange one was surfacing, almost a deep rumble. As it got louder my eyes flew open, only to be greeted by the view of earth and roots.

 

“Hold onto my neck!” Flare yelled to me as I tightened my grip. Fur tickled my face as he changed his form, with me still on him. Looking up I saw everyone and Tiara, who was flying, looking over the edge. Flare grabbed the side of the ground, pushing himself up, pulling me with him. His jaws found the largest root that was closest to the top of this hole. As if on queue, I was pulled off of him and saw him just casually jumping up the rest of the way out.

 

“Pearl, we rest here tonight.” Phoenix called, setting me on the floor next to Flare. “Good job, that was some quick thinking.” Patting Flare on the head, he turned to help out setting up our little camp. I was still stunned by what had happened, when Tiara sat next to my leg, placing a front foot on me.

 

“Man, you must really be bad luck.” Flare mumbled, looking at his paws that had earth and roots stuck between his toes, deciding to stay in his wolf form. Humming in agreement, I just sat placing my arm around his back. “But I see what Pearl means about protecting the weak.” I couldn’t tell if he was serious or mocking me, since I couldn’t see a facial expression, but we sat like that for a while as everyone else set up the camp.

 

“Thanks.” I placed my hand on Flare’s head as I slowly got up, feeling like I should go help out, or at least do something. A hand grabbed my wrist as I tried to leave, turning to see he had changed into a human again. Tiara was always finding her way to my shoulders, her wings never giving off much sound.

 

“Train with me!” He smiled, his eyes shining, jumping up as well. “Maybe not with a weapon, since you don’t seem too good with those, but we can work on balance or other things.” Walking past me, still holding my wrist, he pulled me to the camp. It wasn’t much of a clearing, more than it was just a small opening among the trees, enough for us to sleep without touching, not that it mattered. “Ember!” He called to her, waving with his free hand, she looked up seemingly in a daze. “Amari’s gonna train with me, can you help us?” I looked at her expecting her to spit and ignore us, but to my surprise she got up, heading towards us.

 

“You want to train with something that has the coordination of a drunk horse?” Ember looked at me, her expression unreadable. “Sorry, but I’ve already seen what he can do. He can practice not getting in the way as we train though.” She looked at me head to toe. Knowing I wasn’t going to win this, I pulled my wrist free looking down to the floor.

 

“Ember, that’s not fair!” Flare called, seeming to be very offended. He looked ready to fight her for me, as his ears slowly flattened and his tail puffed up. “It’s the job of those stronger to teach those who are weaker! You’re the one who told me this!” He started yelling and I felt bad, so I reached out to him. Tiara flew off to go chase something she saw.

 

“Flare, it’s alright, I’m not mad.” I shook my head as I spoke. “Besides, like she said, I’ll just get in the way... thank you for offering though.” I turned away before anyone could comment and sat next to the fire they had set up.

 

“You know,” I looked up to see Kyumi settling next to me, “it might surprise you, but you are, at least right now, slowly bringing everyone together.” Looking up she smiled. Not finding this making me feel any better, I looked away. She seemed to get the hint and stayed quiet. 

 

 

 

Picking up a stick, I began to poke the wood in the fire, causing small sparks to fly. Letting my mind wander, my eyes focused on the fire. Then in the fire I saw what looked like shadows dancing. Feeling entranced by these odd images, I watched them as the dancing changed, beginning to look more and more like fighting. “Power.” The voice rang out again. The fighting shadows getting bigger and bigger, wanting to stop them from fighting, I leaned in with my hand outstretched. Lunging forward, I tried to grab them. At the same time, something hit me in the head, knocking me off balance as something else pushed me down. Blinking as I leaned on the grass stunned, propped up on my elbows. I looked to see Kyumi sitting on me, her bow out, with an arrow wrapped in thick hide, pointed right at me.

 

“What were you thinking?!” She yelled, never moving her bow from my face. Glancing around, I saw everyone standing on guard. “Answer me!” She dropped the bow, pulling a small dagger out of her shoe. Leaning closer to my face, the new weapon now against my neck. “Why were you going to jump into the campfire?” Feeling my mind finally catch up with what was happening, I just lie where I was, eyes wide.

 

“I-I don’t know.” I stammered out, feeling something warm glide down my face. I lifted my hand, following where it was coming from with my fingers. It was coming from the edge of my eyebrow. Touching it, I felt a slight sting. Pulling my hand away, I saw blood on my fingers. “Bleeding?” I commented to myself, looking back up at Kyumi, she now had tears in her eyes. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Tiara show up and start the small cut.

 

“Care to let him sit up now?” Pearl called, as she slowly approached us, clearly wary of the situation. Kyumi listened, standing off to the side. “Gotta admit though, that was a way faster reaction than I would’ve had.” She smiled, taking a seat next to me as I curled up, pulling Tiara into my chest. Everyone else was now around the little fire. “ Let’s call it a night. And I think one person should guard Amari.” Nodding followed around the group. “I’ll take the first shift, we will alternate who will watch.” Silence followed as everyone took wary, concerned or unsure glances at me. “Get some rest, we won’t let anything happen to you.” Knowing just how tired I was, I closed my eyes. Almost instantly I found myself falling asleep.