Meet-cute

Meet-cute

 

 

Yongsun is furrowing her eyebrows as she stared at the menu of a coffee shop, pondering if she should try the limited drink or go with the usual.

Patiently waiting in front of her was a short girl with cute dimples, who was looking at the furry friend she was holding like a baby. The barista looked like she was struggling not to pet the schnauzer who was snuggly tucked at her arms.

 

For what seemed like eternity, Yongsun finally decides, “I’d like to have a frozen hot chocolate, small size please”

The barista asked for her name and wrote it down on the cup she took. Yongsun let her pet down to get her wallet and paid for her drink.

“We’ll be calling your name once your drink is ready” the dimpled barista said.

 

She said her thanks and sat the nearest empty table to wait. She had been to four open houses looking for an apartment that would gladly accept her pet dog. Most apartment buildings doesn’t accept pets which was a hassle. Her agent and friend Hyejin have been patiently combing the area near her work to find the perfect place for her.

 

Then again, a part of her was looking forward to these open houses to meet a certain silver-haired girl she knew by the name “Moonbyul”, who, like her, was looking for an apartment that would fit four adorable dogs.

Unconsciously, she smiled as she remembered their first encounter.

 

“Daebakkie wait up!”

The corgi was dragging a silver-haired girl towards another dog who was also dragging her owner.

“Seriously JingJing, you didn’t have to make me run early in the morning” Yongsun was panting when her dog stopped. Her eyes trailed from the other dog which looked like a loaf of bread up to the owner who was smiling at her.

“Hi! Sorry for the bother! Daebakkie here is such an energetic boy.”

“It’s totally fine! I’m just waiting for my agent at this building anyway.”

As if on cue, Hyejin came out of the entrance and walked towards them. “Here you guys are! Come with me!”

Hyejin introduced the silver-haired girl to her as “Moonbyul”. She had a long silver hair, brown eyes, sharp nose, small triangle shaped mouth and sharp jaw line. She was a little taller than her.

They shook hands and she felt a little flustered as Moonbyul smiled at her. Yongsun caught herself grinning in return but was unable to say anything.

 

After that, they have been seeing each other during open houses, but she had not had the ounce of courage to chat properly with the corgi owner. She hoped that she could meet her today as well. She couldn’t ask Hyejin as she was embarrassed, she knew that her friend will not pass up the opportunity to .

Her thoughts were interrupted when the dimpled barista called her name. She stood up and walked to the counter to collect her order.
 

“Have a good day Yongsun!”

She then glanced at the name plate the barista had, “You too Wheein, Thanks!”

 

Her Schnauzer pulled her enthusiastically towards the apartment building beside the coffee shop they exited. Her feet kept up with the four-legged creature who was now trying to drag her inside the building. She then heard excited barks coming from the reception as the automatic doors opened.

 

Her eyes searched for the source of the noise and found the bread-like corgi and its owner.

 

“Good morning Yongsun” her silver-haired crush said as she grinned, nose crunched up.

“Good morning Moonbyul” she said sheepishly. “Who’s this friend? You have 3 corgis?”

“Ah this is Keonggangie. I’m surprised that you noticed that I brought different dogs every time”

“I… I was just paying attention to them… c-c cause they looked so cute” she blushed and tried to avoid looking at the woman in front of her.

“Let’s sit and wait for Hyejin.” Said Moonbyul as she ushered Yongsun to the lounge.

 

Moonbyul has been a gentlewoman all through out the times they have met, even though their encounters were short and limited to open houses. It didn’t stop Yongsun to catch feelings. The corgi owner was sweet and attentive, not only to her but to everyone who was at the open house. She secretly wished that the silver-haired girl was attentive only to her.

 

“Hyejin said it’s just us for today. She’s getting the keys from the office.”

“Ah I see” Yongsun couldn’t think properly as her crush was sitting beside her. She could smell her perfume, it had a hint of sea air and wood essence. Before she could muster up the courage to talk, her friend came up to them jingling the keys telling them to come with her. She sighed and stood to follow her.

 

Hyejin showed them 2 units available which was located at the same floor, both had the same design and layout. Yongsun secretly prayed that Moonbyul would choose that apartment as she was already inclined into taking the other unit. The area the building was situated was close to her work, the view from the balcony was stunning, and honestly, being neighbors with a hot silver-haired woman is more than enough for her to seal the deal.

 

She sneaked a glance at Hyejin trying to catch the agent’s attention. She gave her a knowing look hoping that the latter would understand. Her friend slightly nodded before clearing .

“So have you decided Moonbyul?”

Yongsun tried not to look expectant at the corgi owner. Moonbyul bit her lower lip, stared at her corgi for a while, then stole a glance at Yongsun before answering “Yes”

 

She held her breath and looked away from the corgi owner. She didn’t want her face to show any emotion should her crush decides to take an apartment from the previous buildings that they have checked.

 

“I’ll take the unit here” Moonbyul said as she smiled at Hyejin and Yongsun.

The agent nodded and proceeded to ask Yongsun “and you?”

 

She released the air she was holding, nodded, and softly answered “I’ll take the unit here as well”

She was glad she turned her face away as she couldn’t fight the smile she had upon hearing the corgi owner’s decision.  She slowly lifted her head while making a poker face to look at Hyejin.

 

One look and her friend understood her struggle, “Great! I’ll be sending you guys the documents you need to review and sign.”

 

 

 

Yongsun’s heart was skipping on her way home. She was grinning as she remembered how Moonbyul smiled at her before parting ways. The corgi owner gave her a business card and wrote her personal number on it.

“Since we’ll be neighbors, I think it’s only fitting to give you my number. You can contact me anytime you need help.”

She saved the number but was hesitating if she should send a message. She doesn’t want Moonbyul to think that she’s being forward or weird.

 

 

It has been two weeks since Yongsun has moved into her new apartment and she still hasn’t taken up the courage to send a text. She was busy moving, setting up and making her new home comfortable. On top of that, her job as a preschool teacher was taking up most of her time, that she barely had a breather.

Today she was looking forward to a day of unproductivity. Here she was waiting in line to get a cup of tea at Wheein’s coffee shop.

 

“Good Morning Unnie” The dimpled barista was like breath of fresh air. She looked like everyone’s favorite sister.

“Hello Wheeinie, I’ll get the usual please”

“I’ll deliver it to you once it’s done”

 

Yongsun sat at a couch with an audible sigh as she closed her eyes, letting her head rest back.

“Tired unnie?”

She squeezed her eyes for a good 3 seconds before opening it again. “Very”

Wheein sat at the opposite couch.

“You should take a rest you know. It’s not good for your health if you overwork yourself”

The barista swayed her legs as her feet barely touched the floor. Yongsun chuckled at how adorable Wheein was.

“So unnie… Have you settled in? Have you met your neighbors yet?”

“I’ve finished fixing everything last night. Today I’ll be doing nothing for a change. As for the neighbors…”

She remembered the corgi owner again and sighed “not yet”

 

For a second, she was sure that she saw a flash of disappointment from Wheein, however that disappeared in an instant, so she shrugged it off.

 

“Alright unnie, my 5-minute break is up. Enjoy the rest of your day! Also make time to introduce yourself to your neighbors. You don’t know when you might need their help.” The barista waved and hurried to the counter leaving a confused Yongsun at the couch.

 

 

 

Yongsun decided to go to the mall that afternoon to unwind. She locked her door and proceeded to the elevator which was closing.

“Wait!”

The elevator door opened for her and dashed inside, bowed, and thanked who ever opened the door for her. She heard a chuckle which was familiar. Slowly, she raised her head as she faced her crush who was smiling at her.

“Hi neighbor!” Moonbyul said.

“Hi” she said sheepishly.

“Here I was thinking that maybe you decided not to move here. Or maybe you lost my number?”

“I-I’m sorry I was busy with work and moving in...” she was dying inside of embarrassment. She couldn’t look at the corgi owner, who looked like an anime character that became alive.

“I’m only messing with you. So where are you going?” The silver hair’s smile was too much for Yongsun’s heart.

“I’m on my way to the mall. I haven’t been there yet, so I wanted to check what they have” She was fidgeting the sides of her dress as she checked if she looked decent enough.

“Oh cool! I’m going there as well! Do you mind if we go together? No pressure though”

Yongsun was now internally struggling. She wanted to go with her crush but she’s afraid that she might combust once she’s in car ride with Moonbyul. Hell, she might even combust now with how close they are inside the elevator.

“Sorry for imposing” the corgi owner said.

“No! I mean… Sorry… Sure” she said incomprehensibly.

“I didn’t get that” Moonbyul was now staring at her.

“I mean yes. We can go together”

“Cool! Let’s take my car then”

 

Yongsun was staring at the window as they drove to the mall. She was mentally cursing herself for being an awkward mess.

“So what do you do?” the corgi owner asked.

“I’m a preschool teacher”

“Oh! That suits you. I’m an engineer by the way”

Yongsun decides that she can’t make a fool of herself any longer. This was an opportunity to know Moonbyul and she couldn’t let it pass.

“I’m sorry if I didn’t message you despite knowing your number and all that. I’m just not good at conversations and I don’t want to bore you”

“You won’t”

“I’m sorry?”

“You won’t bore me. I’m entertained just looking at your facial expressions” the corgi owner grinned.

If she wasn’t a blushing mess before, she was now. She averted her gaze from Moonbyul to the window. The latter chuckled.

“Do you want to get coffee or tea once we’re at the mall?”

She told herself “get it together” before answering, “Sure”

 

 

 

After their first hangout at the mall, they became relatively close. They would meet at night to walk their dogs. She learned that Moonbyul has 4 adorable pets.

 

One time, she made too much food for dinner so she decided to give some to her neighbor. When she entered the kitchen, she saw the garbage bin filled with fast food containers.   

“How are you eating this everyday!”

“But I’m too tired to cook afterwork, and I still have to walk these babies at night” the corgi owner whined.

“I’m making you food! You’re not allowed to refuse!”

“But…”

She glared at her crush, who suddenly sat straight, motioned to zip and gave her puppy eyes.

Yongsun rolled her eyes said to herself “You will be the death of me”.

 

After that, they would find time to eat dinner together at Yongsun’s place or watch movies at Moonbyul’s place while snuggling with their fur babies.

 

 

 

 

One night when they were walking their dogs, Yongsun noticed that Moonbyul seemed unease.

“What’s wrong?” she asked.

The engineer sighed and walked quietly. After a moment of silence, the silver hair took her hand and intertwined it with hers.

“I like this” Moonbyul said.

Yongsun.exe stopped responding. Her heart was racing, and she was sure that the engineer could hear it as well.

“We’ve known each other for 5 months now right?” Moonbyul asked.

She nodded in response, unable to find her voice.

“Well… I wanted to tell you that I really like you. and… maybe… You know… maybe you can be my girlfriend?”

Yongsun stopped walking. She was staring at Moonbyul who was looking at her like she was the only girl in the world. JingJing brought her to her senses when the dog tugged her leash hard.

“I’d love to… Yes… Yes Byul-ah”

 

The engineer’s eyes watered and brought their intertwined hands up to her lips and kissed Yongsun’s hand, before placing a chaste kiss on her lips.

 

 

 

“Wheein-ah I’m nervous! What if the babies will not behave!”

“We have trained them well. They know what to do”

“What if they ran off with the rings around the venue?”

“They won’t! You’re stressing me right now Byul unnie” the barista said annoyingly as she fixed the bow on the tuxedo of her friend.

“I can’t believe that you’re getting married after 3 years of dating! I can still remember when you came at the shop looking so dejected when you still haven’t received any message from Yongsun after moving in!”

“I know right? haaa… I’m so happy Wheeinie. I can’t believe I’m marrying the girl of my dreams!”

“Don’t make her cry unnie or I’ll teach your babies to bite you” the barista laughed at her friend’s shocked face.

 

 

 

“I’m nervous Hyejin-ah... Do I look ok? What if the babies run around during the ceremony?”

“They won’t! Wheein has been training them diligently for a month to make sure”

“The fur babies looked cute wearing those tuxedos. I hope they behave”

“They will. Now let’s get you married”

 

Hyejin pushes the door for Yongsun. At the aisle, Daebak, Haengwon, Keonggang, Jingjing and Jangu were walking in a straight line to guide Yongsun to Moonbyul, who was a crying mess.

 

The engineer stopped crying and ruffled each dog before her gaze was on her soon-to-be wife, who looked ethereal.

 

Yongsun was fighting a losing battle with her tears as she looked at Moonbyul and took in the reality that she will soon be spending a lifetime with this greaseball together with their babies.

 

Moonbyul mouthed I love you as she took Yongsun’s hands to guide her to stand beside her.

She whispered “I love you too” before facing the wedding officiant.