Chapter 2

Too deep in the mess
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Wendy wendy wendy… 

 

That’s all Irene is thinking about right now after knowing about the return of her competitor. The rest of the lessons, or rather the rest of the day, passed in a blur. She cannot remember what the English teacher was mumbling about or what nonsense the economic teacher was spouting. Irene can’t help but wonder why she is back.

 

Why is she suddenly returning to Korea after abandoning them 2 years ago without notice? Two long years and now she is back? Why is she even back when she left in the first place? But I mean being able to have fun competing with that cute annoying-- Wait did I just say cute?? Nonono how is that annoying brat cute? Sure her fluff cheeks-- NONO what am I sa-- 

 

“....Wendy from the airport.”

 

She is pulled out from her internal conflict when the source of her conflict is mentioned in the conversation. Right, she has completely forgotten that she is currently in a cafe near their school with Seulgi, Joy and Yeri.

 

“Wait wait wait, did y’all mention Wendy? I heard Wendy and airport” Irene asked them with a glare as she anticipated their reply.

 

All of them looked at Irene with a questioning expression as Joy voiced out their shock.

 

“So you are saying you were not listening to what we were saying since the very start?” Joy accused, clearly offended. 

 

Irene can only laugh nervously, as she indeed did not know what they were talking about, only hearing something about Wendy and going to the airport maybe? 

 

“She has really been out of it since she returned from her errands regarding the pamphlets. She was just spacing out for the rest of lessons and I even had to drag her to the gate as she was staring at her notes when lessons ended like what 5 mins ago?? This coming from someone that always has a strong concept in time is really weird.” Seulgi stated exasperatedly. 

 

“What's on your mind? Spill it woman” Yeri demanded. 

 

“N-nothing its just pamphlets were really hard to decide...” Irene trailed off, internally cringing at her own excuse, hoping that they will all buy it.

 

Joy and Yeri gave her an expression that they did not buy her excuse at all, but they did not pursue it further. While Seulgi just nodded her head in understanding. But they don't have to know that Irene did not even go to finalise the pamphlets. She handed the responsibility to her vice president slash best friend Jennie. 

 

“So what about Wendy?” Irene steers the conversation away as she changes back to her usual annoyed tone whenever she talks about Wendy. 

 

“We were talking about going to fetch Wendy at the airport tonight. Let’s say maybe 12 midnight?” Seulgi replies.

 

“Why?” Irene hisses. 

 

“Cause her flight will be arriving at 1230? So we gotta be there early.”  Seulgi replies innocently. 

 

“That’s not what I mean”, Irene breathes out, clearly done with the poor bear, “I meant why are we even going to pick her up? It's not as if she can’t drive herself home? She even has a chauffeur for god sake.” 

 

“Irene I know you don’t really like her but she is still our friend okays.” Yeri states, used to these kinds of situations.

 

To others, this was really a weird situation at first. Two enemies in the same friend group? Ever since middle school? It was really something that most, if not all, did not understand. But they have learned to come to terms with it after seeing them always at each other's neck and competing every single day. Yet it always seems to make their fights even more interesting with the middle person being their common group of friends who never fails to add oil to the fire and only extinguish it before it gets out of control. So it is safe to say that the school gets to have a free entertaining show almost every day thanks to the weird dynamics that they have. Which might also be the reason why they have accepted it instead of questioning it. The story and reason behind this group formation? Well, let's just save this story for some other days.  

 

“If she considers us friends, will she have left us without saying anything?? Saying goodbye or at least saying something about her leaving is the least she could do as a friend.” Irene hisses as she emphasises the word friend. 

 

“She did bid her farewell, you know. It's just you were too annoyed at your loss in the exam with her to even care about her. You were freaking avoiding her, always turning away when you see her. If you were not such a sore loser, you would have had a proper goodbye with her.” Yeri states exasperatedly, feeling unfair at the accusation made toward their cute hamster as she recalled that sad pouting face when Wendy failed to bid Irene bye. 

 

Irene huffs and looks away, “But it still does not change the fact that she did not bid me goodbye.” 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter