Day 8

A Teaspoon of Love

"Already so hardworking on the first week?" Wendy nudges Irene who seems to be sketching some drafts on her notebook, while keeping her eyes fixed on their lecturer in front. 

 

"Yeah.. welcome to the life of an architecture student." Irene huffs, causing Wendy to chuckle.

 

Wendy has always heard rumors of architecture students not being able to sleep and have insane datelines compared to other majors, and it seems like she has the opportunity to see it with her own eyes. 

 

"Luckily I'm in engineering."

 

"Yeah because you lack of creativity to be in architecture."

 

"Yeah because I'm more logical and better in mathematics."

 

"We have better looking students though."

 

".... That's true."

 

Wendy wanted to argue with her back but she couldn't think of any because Irene was right after all. Her coursemates are mostly goofy and aren't very good in socializing with girls because... 90% of them are guys anyway. They're also usually in old clothes and worn out jeans because of the physical on-hand experiments they have to conduct. She looks at herself for a moment and she could already imagine how her future would be like. 

 

They decided to have lunch together before their respective classes although it took them about 10 minutes of standing in the middle of the lobby thinking about what to eat. The conversation was mostly compromising of Yeri wanting to have sushi vs Seulgi wanting to have fried chicken vs the other 3 just staring and dreaming in their own worlds. 

 

"What do you think of this design?" Irene casually asks Wendy as the 2 girls continue to debate with the pros and cons of their choices like a presidential debate.

 

"Well it is quite impossible to construct." 

 

"No Wendy, just look at the design."

 

"But how are you going to support this cantilever part??"

 

"Well I'll leave that for people like you to think about it. Now, how about the design?"

 

"It's fine, I guess. Maybe if you add a slanted roof here it looks more appealing."

 

"You finally say something that makes sense."

 

"Hey! I always do!"

 

Irene looks over at Wendy pouting and laughs while grabbing hold of Wendy's shoulders, leaning towards her. She feels comfortable around Wendy and enjoys teasing the younger girl. She knows she couldn't do so with Seulgi because the latter wouldn't understand her until she meets Wendy who always challenges her and bickers with her. It's not like she would purposely find the opportunity to but yes she may have done it on purpose because of Wendy's exeggarated but honest reactions.

 

Irene definitely has great classmates but it's just different being around people of different majors because of the competitive feeling with others since everyone wants to impress the same lecturers. That's why she rather hangs out with others so that she could experience university life without wanting to compare with her classmates all the time. She feels like it's a breath of fresh air to be around people with such different personalities and desires in their respective lives.

 

"We'll go with sushi and there's that."

 

"Okay fine, I'll just have fried chicken for dinner."

 

"Finally!!!!!!!!!" Joy rolls her eyes and puts her arms over the girls, pushing them so that they would just have lunch already because no one likes to be hungry.

 

--------------------------------------------

 

"The total is 25,400 won." Irene paid for the bill first with her card and hands over the receipt to them.

 

"There's 10% tax for this." Wendy automatically takes out the calculator and splits the bill among 5 of them.

 

"Yeri, yours is 4800, Seulgi 5600, Joy 4500, Irene 5200."

 

"I vote Wendy to be our group's finance minister." Yeri playfully puts her hand up.

 

"I second this." Seulgi follows by putting her hand up in the air.

 

"Me too! Okay we have majority votes. The decision is final. Congratulations, Miss Wendy. You are now the official finance minister of our group." Joy claps her hands enthusiastically and nudges her.

 

"And how will I benefit from this?"

 

"You will have special allowance from our prime minister." Yeri answers her.

 

"Prime minister?"

 

"Our one and only Miss Irene!"

 

"Woohooo!!" Joy claps for her as well, enjoying the drama in front of her.

 

"You guys are ridiculous."

 

"Does that mean I can tax all of you?" Irene shakes her head at her friends.

 

Wendy could get used to this. 

 

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Wendy bids farewell at her friends and since she had nothing to do, she went back to clean up her place for a bit after borrowing a few books from the library to study on her materials. She washes her sheets, sweeps the floor, mops the floor, cooks dinner for herself and finally takes a good shower after a long day.

 

Sitting at her desk, she studies for her next classes tomorrow so that she could understand the topic better when her lecturers go through with them in class. She writes her own notes, highlighting important keywords and goes through it frequently because she needs to maintain her scholarship to lighten her parents' burdens. Her parents always reminded her that intelligence is nothing if you don't put any effort in it. Study hard, get good grades, get into a good job, maintain a good life. It's what everyone always tells you.

 

"Have you eaten? I brought some snacks." Joy asks, carrying numerous plastic bags of food as she hangs her bag at the rack.

 

"Huh? Yeah I ate. What did you get?"

 

"Are you studying?" Joy looks at her questionably as she walks towards the girl.

 

"Kinda..."

 

"Wow... so diligent. Anyway I have some dokbokki and fries. Do you want some? I think I bought a little too much."

 

"Sure. Thanks." Wendy munches on some fries at the small coffee table they have in their room. 

 

They talked for a bit, sharing snacks and discussing about their daily lives. Wendy asks if Joy's dating the guy she's always texting, and Joy just shrugged at her question and raises her shoulders, I guess you could say so. She finds out the he hasn't officially asked her yet but actions speak louder than words. Apparently they are always hanging out together in campus, in malls watching movies, window shopping for months now. Joy also enquired about Wendy if she's actually seeing anyone to which Wendy just tells her nah, she has been single forever if you don't count the dumb relationships she's had in high school for like a week. 

 

They then discussed further about their friends in Entrepreneurship, gossiping to each other do you think she has a boyfriend? and sharing information about what they've seen in their social medias, judging from their phone wallpapers, to their other friends that they sometimes bump into.

 

"Seulgi seems like a pretty popular person since she's from Dance club." Wendy says.

 

"Yeah the guys in there are pretty hot. Like the bad guys that every girl wants to date once in their lives. But have you seen Irene? The guys in my course have been fawning over her even though I think they're not into girls."



Wendy laughs at her statement. "Do you think she has a boyfriend?"

 

"I don't know, Wendy. I can hardly see her in campus because architecture students are like cats who only come out when they're hungry. Other than that, you can never find them because they're always rushing on their assignments."

 

"I don't see any couple photos in her profile too."

 

"She probably doesn't have time for it. Or maybe she doesn't like guys too." Joy sticks out her tongue in a joking manner.

 

Wendy chuckles at her roommate, she appreciates Joy's honesty because Joy is obviously not the type of person who bottles up her feelings inside. You can easily tell when she's mad or excited over something, which is good because then Joy would be the kind of friend that would straight away tell you upright that she doesn't like what you're doing instead of talking behind your back.