moonlight melody

Moonlight Melody

DISPATCH CATCHES EXO’S D.O AND RED VELVET’S IRENE ON A DATE

  1. [+656, -15] EXO fans are going to go crazy...
  2. [+203, -9] Dispatch is really just... amazing...
  3. [+183, -16] EXO really enjoys dating within the company ㅋㅋㅋ
  4. [+170, -34] So….Suho’s just a cover up???
  5. [+92, -90] Apparently Irene wasn’t dating a CEO ㅋㅋㅋ

They were Dispatch new year’s couple of 2019. And SM took quite some time before confirming it. Leaving fans all over the world on edge for three hours.

~

It has only been half a year since EXO’s D.O enlisted to mandatory military and approximately two weeks after Dispatch released his dating news. It was two weeks ago today that SM confirmed yet another same-company couple involving a member of EXO, the kings of Kpop, with a member of Red Velvet, the ultimate girl-crush group. 

The news came as a surprise for most fans. The pairing has never been rumoured together. Their names have never even been placed together in one sentence. Irene was often shipped with Suho or Bogum, and D.O has basically zero dating rumours.

The news also caused an uproar where D.O’s stationed. A lot of soldiers were gossiping about the dating scandal, most of them praising D.O for securing the prettiest face in all of South Korea. The pretty face that almost encouraged a peace treaty between North and South Korea as North Korea’s leader became such a fan. The soldiers that were closer to D.O kept it cool and decided not to pry into his personal life. They were not trying to be obvious, but each of them found a way to comfort D.O regarding the news outbreak.

The group of soldiers entered their dorm room and stood at the foot of their own beds. Kyungsoo followed a full day of physical training just to get himself busy. Too busy to think about how the world reacted to his dating scandal. Too busy to worry about how Joohyun is doing because there’s nothing he can do about it anyway. 

“Let’s call it a day today, use the rest of the day to relax because training starts at four tomorrow morning.”

“Salute! I can do!” 

The drill sergeant left the room, and everyone sat in their respective spaces. 

“Kyungsoo-ssi, today I have my a time-slot for a 30 minutes phone-call,” Taejung sat beside Kyungsoo. “I was wondering if you’d like to use it instead, call home or something.”

Kyungsoo’s dorm mates are the soldiers closest to him. They would catch him stare into nowhere deep in his thoughts and knew how Kyungsoo got a bit quieter ever since his dating news came out. 

“Taejung-ssi, if you don’t mind I really need to make a phone call,” Kyungsoo said gratefully. “Thank you so much.”

“Of course, no worries,” Taejung smiled. “I’ll go with you to the telephone room as soon as I finished showering, probably in 15 minutes.”

“Yes, of course, take your time,” Kyungso said as Taejung stood up to get his towels and toiletries. “I’ll just shower after the call.”

Kyungsoo’s heart felt warm and tingly. He didn’t know he’d make such meaningful friendships during his time in the military, but Taejung and the rest of his dorm mates showed him otherwise.

The two walked to the telephone room in silence. Kyungsoo lost in his thoughts, and Taejung respected that.

Kyungsoo needed to make a phone call. THE phone call to the one and only. They haven’t contacted one another ever since the news came out to the public. Simply because there was no time from both ends. Joohyun is still doing her Psycho promotions, and Kyungsoo kept himself busy. 

“Salute! Sir, I’d like to inform you that today soldier Do Kyungsoo will be using my phone-call time-slot instead of myself,” Taejung told the sergeant in charge. 

“Okay, thanks for letting me know,” the sergeant then dismissed Taejung as he shifted his eyes to look at Kyungsoo.

“You only have 30 minutes in there once your time is up the phone will beep a long note, the room is soundproof, and you can only call Korean numbers, understood?” the sergeant gave his orders.

“Yes, sir.”

The telephone room was tiny and inside was only a small table, a wooden chair, and a white telephone. 

Kyungsoo dialled the phone number that he’s memorized by heart for the longest time. It took three rings before the other person answered the phone call.

“418 more days.” No hello. No good evening. No greetings whatsoever. Kyungsoo chuckled at his girlfriend’s answer to his call.

“And hello to you too,” Kyungsoo replied. “Someone’s been counting down, I see.”

“Guilty,” Joohyun sighed. “But am I the only one, though?”

“Touché,” Kyungsoo chuckled. 

They were silent for a bit. Nobody wanted to address the elephant in the room. Nobody wanted to address the fact that the whole world knows about their relationship now. Their relationship is no longer a secret that they keep tight. It is no longer just between the two of them. Not when the entire world wide web is aware. 

“Joohyun-ah…” Kyungsoo said the same time, Joohyun asked, “What were you up to today?”

“Sorry, you go first, what did you say?” Kyungsoo said as the gentleman that he is.

“No, it’s nothing important, what did you want to say?”

“Are you okay?” Kyungsoo started. “We haven’t gotten the chance to talk ever since the news came out, but I didn’t know if you actually want to talk about it.”

“Oh Kyungsoo,” Joohyun let out a sigh. “We don’t have much time on the phone, that’s why I didn’t want to bring it up.”

“You didn’t answer my question, though, are you okay?”

“I really don’t want you to stress, but I guess knowing you, you’ll stress even more if you recognize even a hint of lie,” Joohyun said. “So, if I’m completely honest, I read some of the comments online and maybe shed a tear or two.”

Kyungsoo knew his girlfriend was lying. She didn’t maybe shed a tear or two. He knew she had cried a lot but would not admit because she never wanted to be a burden to Kyungsoo’s thoughts. The only time she cries is when she’s alone, within the safety of her bedroom walls, because not a single person is allowed to know that Joohyun cries a lot behind her tough leader slash mom exterior. Well, except Kyungsoo. Her boyfriend is the only person that she’s comfortable enough to be vulnerable around. The only person she could cry to and not have to put up a front of being Red Velvet’s leader. She’s just Joohyun, not Red Velvet’s leader Irene, to him.

His heart hurts. This time around, he can’t be there for her when she cries. He can’t make her feel better with his hug and sweet words.

“But you know what? I’m more relieved than I am worried,” Joohyun tried to sound positive. “I don’t care about the hate comments because you’re worth it. Now, we don’t have to steal glances anymore, we don’t have to secretly get jealous when some other idols try to confess to one of us, and we don’t even have to go on separate cars when we go on dates.”

Kyungsoo smiled. This is exactly the reason why they’re dating. Their personalities are so alike, and they respond to situations in the same way.

“I’m so glad to hear that,” Kyungsoo said. “You know I’ve always wanted to say sorry to you.”

Joohyun was confused, but she let him continue speaking.

“Because of the endless schedules, I’m sorry that there are weeks where I can only see you through the TV even though we live two streets away. 

“Because we’re both celebrities, we have to keep this hidden, and I’m sorry I can’t give you my jacket when the weather’s too cold for your stage outfit, I’m sorry I can’t hug you to congratulate your win at music shows, and I’m sorry I can’t even wipe your tears away when they accuse you of stupid things I know you never did. 

“Because we’re both idols, we have to respect our fan’s feelings, and I’m sorry I can’t hold your hand when we walk or even stand beside you for the matter, I’m sorry I can’t kiss you on screen as I did with co-stars and I’m so so sorry I can’t even tell the world you’re mine.”

“You know you’re not at fault,” Joohyun in between sobs. Somewhere along Kyungsoo’s words, she started crying. “We both chose this life and we both knew what we signed up for and the sacrifices we had to make for our dreams.

“I’m just glad that along the way I stumbled upon such a wonderful man that during the tougher days I know I have someone who’s always going to be there for me.”

Her cries became uncontrollable, so she stopped talking and just cried her hearts out. 

“It’s okay, let it out, I’m here,” Kyungsoo said to the Joohyun. This was all she needed. Kyungsoo didn’t have to ask much or talk much, Joohyun just needed him there. Present.

They then continued to talk about their day, their week and how life is. Then there was silence. Comfortable silence. Hearing each other’s breath from the phone is somewhat soothing and freeing. They do this a lot when they’re on the phone or video calling. Just leaving room to somehow be present in each other’s life despite the distance.

“I love you Do Kyungsoo,” Joohyun finally said. “I really miss you.”

“I love you Bae Joohyun,” Kyungsoo replied. “I’ll see you soon.”

The phone beeped a long note right after that, signaling that time is up for Kyungsoo. Perfect timing. Kyungsoo’s heart felt full. He didn’t realize how much he needed the phone call, how much he needed the conversation. To hear Joohyun’s voice was a mix of comfort and security and warmth and a little bit of sadness and longing, knowing that someone who he loves so much and loves him back the same is waiting for him.

As he walked back to his dorm building, Kyungsoo noticed that the moon was extraordinarily bright and visible that night. 

“Annyeonghaseyo, Red Velvet Irene imnida,” her voice blasted through the speakers, “today I would like to request a song for EXO’s D.O, or more accurately, my Kyungsoo.”

Her voice stopped Kyungsoo in his tracks. What is going on? What am I hearing?

“I would like to request Moonlight Melody by Red Velvet,” she stopped and giggled. “It’s very embarrassing to shamelessly promote my own song, but I promise this song is perfect for tonight, I don’t know how it is in the station, but through the windows of my apartment, the moon is looking very bright.”

Kyungsoo found a nearby bench and took a seat. He looked up and stared at the moon. 

“Kyungsoo-ah, even though you’re not by my side, I can’t help but smile as we look up at the same sky and hear the same moonlight melody. For other soldiers, please take care of my Kyungsoo and enjoy this song.”

Her voice faded out, and the song started playing. The song is a low-key ballad with a delicate piano melody. The girls’ voice sounded sweet and lovely. 

Suddenly, I heard the sound of bells
Coming from somewhere

That’s her voice. Kyungsoo smiled. He realizes how lucky he is to have heard that voice call his name with so much love. To have heard that voice claim ownership of him to the entire military station just a few seconds ago. He didn’t know what he did in his previous life to be this blessed.

Suddenly I heard the sound of bells
Do you remember?
It sang for us, it blessed us
Out of the many stars
It was the biggest and brightest

As soon as it reached those lyrics, raindrops started falling, and Kyungsoo looked up. The moon remained bright and visible despite the rain. It is so reassuring that even though they are far apart by distance now, they know that they are looking at the same moon.

He walked back to the dorms after the song ended. Heart full. A huge smile plastered on his face.

When he entered his dorm room to get a towel and his toiletries, his dorm mates were whistling, shouting, chanting incoherent words directed at him. Kyungsoo forgot the amount of teasing he would receive after Joohyun’s stunt. But he wasn’t shy or even annoyed one bit. He smiled proudly at them. The song request was a clear and strong statement he wanted to make but couldn’t. A statement he wanted to make ever since the day he and Joohyun started going out. Just to show and tell the show the world that she’s his, his only. Now, he simply can’t wait until the day he’s back in her arms.

418 more days Kyungsoo. Four hundred eighteen. He thought to himself repeatedly.

~

“Hyung!” Jongin stood outside 

Kyungsoo will be discharged from his station on the 25th, but he decided to take his remaining days off three days prior to the date as he wants to spend some time with his family and friends. As per usual, strategic man D.O. 

“Jongin-ah!” Kyungsoo smiled his brightest as Jongin ran to him, crashing him with the biggest hug. Jongin visits his hyung once in a while, but that’s not the frequency that he was used to. Kyungsoo is basically his number one speed dial. 

“I’ve missed you a lot,” Jongin started carrying some of Kyungsoo’s stuff. “This year is probably the first time in a while that we didn’t spend our birthdays together.”

“Ah, you’re right.”

The two head their way to the parking area where Jongin led Kyungsoo to an unfamiliar car. 

“New car?” Kyungsoo asked.

Jongin remained quiet and just went over to the trunk. Kyungsoo followed, his eyebrows still knitted together. 

And there it is. There she was. Standing behind the car with flowers in her hands, smiling the brightest. 

Kyungsoo stood still, shocked.

“Nope, it’s Joohyun-noona’s new car,” Jongin loaded Kyungsoo’s stuff to the trunk. “I’m just a driver today, don’t mind me.”

Joohyun closed the gap between them.

“0 days,” Joohyun said. “I’ve missed you a lot, Kyungsoo.”

Kyungsoo crashed Joohyun with a hug. Not caring whether there would be paparazzi around. Everyone knew anyway. 

“I’ve missed you too, Joohyun,” Kyungso said as he kissed Joohyun’s head a couple of times. 

“Ew I’m not used to this PDA,” Jongin made the couple into waves of laughter.

“Me too,” “but, I don’t mind it at all. In fact, I feel liberated. I love it,” Joohyun said as she stood beside Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo can’t take his eyes off of Joohyun. Nor can he take his arms around her shoulders. It sure feels surreal. Sometimes it’s hard to believe that this is normal. Dating like this is normal for everyone but idols. For idols, to be able to freely express their love to their partner is a luxury that both Kyungsoo and Joohyun knew and would never take for granted.

“Same here, I love it,” Kyungsoo agreed. 

“But above it all, I love you,” Kyungsoo said as he leaned forward for a sweet and tender kiss.

the end.