Chapter 7

Of Flowers and Guns

Jaejoong was worried.

Ever since Moonbin had informed him that they had to cancel going to the dance studio because Jaehyun was sick, he could not stop thinking about Jaehyun wondering if the boys were taking care of him right.

This did not go unnoticed by Yoochun and Junsu, who had been staring at Jaejoong for a while now. Currently, they were having brunch at a nearby restaurant a few blocks away from Incheon Airport. It had been a while since they last saw each other, and to see Jaejoong this way was quite puzzling.

“Hyung, are you sure you’re alright?” Junsu asked Jaejoong who was taken out of his thoughts.

Jaejoong looked back at his friends and smiled, “Yeah, I’m fine. I’m just worried about my part-timer who got sick. He was supposed to join Binnie and the others for dance classes.”

“Oh, yes, you did mention that you have a new one.” Yoochun commented.

“Maybe I’m just worrying too much. Myungjun is there so he’s at least capable of commandeering them in taking care of a sick person.” Jaejoong mumbled.

“What’s the kid’s name?” Yoochun wondered. “Does he get along with the boys?”

Smiling, Jaejoong nodded. “He gets along well with everyone. His name is Jung Jaehyun, and he’s in the same major as Eunwoo. He transferred from NCT College this year.”

For some reason, Yoochun’s and Junsu’s eyes widened upon hearing the name of the young man, but when he mentioned the school, the two of them just looked at each other in silent conversation.

“What?” Jaejoong wondered.

“Eh...um...NCT College? Isn’t that the too prestigious private school on the other side of Seoul?” Yoochun said with a small cough.

“Yeah. He recently transferred to Seoul University, and he is currently living on his own. He and Eunwoo are actually neighbors so we brought him in through his recommendation. It’s been smooth sailing since then.” Jaejoong shared. “He must be shocked with all the things we had to do this past few days, with Boa’s rushed wedding florist arrangement to their school requirements, I’m not surprised he was the first to fall.”

“Ah, yes. I remember that feeling.” Junsu mused. “We work our asses off to make sure that we won’t worry about anything more before winter break and submit them all on time, and when we confirm that we have met all the requirements, our bodies crash and the next thing we know, we have the worst flu that we feel like we’re dying because of our classes.”

“That’s what makes me worried. Jaehyun lives on his own with no guardians nearby. The boy...has been through a lot emotionally.” Jaejoong shared.

“So your parental instincts are screaming at Jaehyun’s wellbeing.” Yoochun pointed out. “It’s pretty normal to be worried about the boys, especially if their health is the one on the line.”

“And maybe...Jaehyun reminded me of someone as well…” Jaejoong mumbled, but it was loud enough for the two to hear.

“Who?” Junsu pressed.

Jaejoong was silent for a while, trying to formulate the words in his head. After a few seconds, he sighed and replied, “Do you think...if Yoonoh was here, he would be just around the same age as Jaehyun…? I wonder if he’s also doing well in college…”

Junsu and Yoochun looked at Jaejoong with sad smiles. He really had no clue as to what Yoonoh has been doing all these years, and they could tell that he was longing to see the young man that he has become, and maybe, his ex-husband as well.

“Hyung, we’ve been telling you this for years now, you can go and see them anytime you wish to. I can definitely say that they have been waiting for you and Moonbin to make a move.” Junsu told him.

“But...what if I came in too late?” Jaejoong wondered. “What if they already replaced me and Moonbin with someone else? Or Yunho is in the process of remarrying, or he has already remarried?”

For the past few years, that has always been on the forefront of his mind. Whether or not Yunho and Yoonoh had already forgotten all about the two of them and moved on with their lives, and had already met people to replace them.

But Jaejoong was scared.

Still scared, in fact.

He had forgiven Yunho’s deception long ago, but something is still holding him back. He knew how dangerous the underground is, having seen his sisters in action once or twice, and he would always have nightmares that if he returns, he would one day be met with the dead bodies of his family because of incessant power struggles and altercations.

The idea of seeing their pale lifeless bodies scared Jaejoong the most.

It was the reason why he was too scared to go back, but how long will he be able to run away from the world he was born into? How much longer can he keep himself and Moonbin in the tiny bubble that he reinforced to keep everyone in the mafia out of the way?

That was something that Jaejoong did not want to answer right now.

“You know, you won’t know until you make the call.” Yoochun pointed out. “We haven’t been in contact with Yunho-hyung and Changmin much, but if there is something we know about them, it’s that they haven’t forgotten you, and they must be still waiting for the both of you to come back into their lives.”

Jaejoong sighed. “Maybe. Can we not breach the subject for now?”

“It’s your choice.” Yoochun replied, but Jaejoong could tell that he did not like his decision of delaying it further, but respected his request.

“Thanks…” Jaejoong muttered before excusing himself outside to check in on Moonbin and the boys.

As they looked at Jaejoong’s retreating back, Junsu and Yoochun whispered to each other.

“Jaehyun. This is not a coincidence.” Yoochun started.

“Yeah. We didn’t let Jaejoong-hyung know that Yoonoh changed his name and you facilitated the change with Changmin.” Junsu replied. “Should we tell him?”

“Absolutely not.” Yoochun protested. “The kid is half Jung and half Kim. Whatever the reason he has, he has no intention of revealing himself to Jaejoong and Binnie.”

“So we will just what? Allow Jaehyun to continue his ruse?” Junsu asked.

“Considering the possibility that Jaehyun ran away from home since he has no guardian in-contact with him, then I can only conclude that Jaehyun has no intention of revealing his identity. It’s not our place to tell but his.”

“There’s only one way to find out about his intentions.” Junsu said. “Looks like we’ll be stopping by the villa this winter break.”

“And we’ll need to give Changmin a call as to what the hell happened between father and son.” Yoochun added, wondering what had happened for Jaehyun to be living alone with no protection, and is hiding in plain sight.

This has trouble written all over it.

Jaehyun’s Apartment

Jaehyun woke up feeling a little better, but still not enough to be deemed as fully recovered.

His throat still feels dry, and his head was still pounding. One of his guests turned off his lights and closed the blinds, making sure that he was getting the most comfort in resting for the day.

Groaning, he tried to reach for his phone only to feel something else on his bedside table. Slowly opening his eyes properly, he turned his head, careful not to have the wet towel come off on his forehead, and he saw the glass dome music box beside his phone.

‘Huh? Wasn’t this on the shelf?’ Jaehyun wondered. The last thing he remembered was being put to sleep by MJ, but that was it. He didn’t remember taking the item to his bedside. ‘Maybe I took it without me knowing….’ he thought to himself. He could clearly recall that he had heard the music box be played, so he simply left it at that and reached for his phone.

The clock read that it was already past one in the afternoon, which means that he has been asleep for at least three hours since MJ dragged him to bed. From the silence of the room, it seems that they must have left to let him rest up for the rest of the day.

Mustering up what little strength he has, he got up from his bed and went out of his room to see what had happened in the last few hours since he fell asleep.

He was met with silence, but Moonbin was sitting on his couch using his phone playing games.

When he heard the door creak, Moonbin immediately looked up to see Jaehyun still pale as the dead but looking a little bit better.

“Jaehyun-hyung, you should still stay in bed you know.” Moonbin said as he stopped what he was doing and stood from his seat.

“Where is everybody?” Jaehyun wondered.

Moonbin shrugged, “Everyone went home after we cooked some food for you since you need the silence. I stayed behind because Appa wants to check on you later.” he told him. “But first, you need food and medicine. Have a seat.”

Jaehyun, still a little baffled at the statement, just nodded and sat down on the dining room chair where a tray of food was covered with plastic cover and poured himself a glass of water.

“How long have you been here alone?” Jaehyun wondered.

“Just about an hour.” Moonbin said as he sat down across from him. “Eunwoo went back downstairs to his apartment to get changed, and I’m here waiting for Appa to get here. He wanted to check in on you after we told him you’re sick.”

Turning a bit red, Jaehyun swallowed his food before talking, “Um...I’m fine, there’s no need for Boss JJ to worry about me. It’s just a cold.”

“A high fever is not a cold, it's the flu. MJ-hyung said so.” Moonbin pointed out. “And you of all people need all the rest you can get since you’re working extra classes.”

Jaehyun sighed. “Eunwoo told you about my extra classes.”

“Well, that’s the only plausible reason why you got sick,” Moonbin pointed out. “Don’t you have anyone to contact to inform your Dad what’s happening to you?”

“If you’re talking about a guardian, I have my uncle, but he’s on a business trip at the moment with my Dad, and we’re not on speaking terms at the moment.” Jaehyun told him. “Figured I can handle things on my own.”

“You attempted to attend dance classes when you knew you were not feeling well.” Moonbin shot back.

“Touche.” Jaehyun returned with a sigh and continued to eat.

There was silence throughout the next few minutes as Moonbin let Jaehyun finish the meal they had prepared and drank the medicine that he had also bought at the store a few hours earlier.

When he was done, Moonbin volunteered to put away the dishes to take care of it, while shooing Jaehyun away back to his bed.

“Hey Moonbin,” Jaehyun called out as he looked at the music box again. “Has this always been at my bedside table?”

Moonbin turned to him and looked at where Jaehyun was pointing at.

He doesn’t remember due to his fever.

For the past few hours, he has contemplated how he was going to approach the situation. He thought of not saying anything and to let him carry on with the ruse, but he knew that was not something he was going to accept.

He has waited thirteen years for his family to become whole again, but it was being derailed because of his-their Appa’s fear.

But Jaehyun doesn’t even remember his rambling, which derailed his plans on confronting Jaehyun that he slipped.

He knows it’s a little mean to do to a sick person, but he has to tell him that he needs to be more careful.

“Yeah. I was putting away your stuff outside to your room when you asked me to place the music box there.” he said nonchalantly. “You even asked me to play it since you say it helps you feel better faster.”

At that moment, Jaehyun froze. There was no way in hell that someone as perceptive as Moonbin would miss the hints, and Jaehyun had to hit himself and question if he had blabbered something while he was sick. He had forgotten that every time he was sick, his mouth would have no filter and would even reveal secrets if questioned in his feverish mind.

“Did I say anything else?” Jaehyun said after placing the music box on the bedside drawer as he slowly laid on his bed.

Moonbin decided to , “You sang the song until you fell asleep like a baby, so that’s a treat.”

The two made eye contact at that moment, and Jaehyun looked deeply into Moonbin’s sharp eyes.

If there was one thing that the two brothers share, it was with one look, one can know what the other is thinking, if they look long enough to tell.

“Oh my God…!” the older boy groaned in his bed. “Was I tone deaf?”

“With your hoarse voice, yep.” Moonbin snickered as he sat at the foot of his bed.

“Of all the reasons for me to be busted, it had to be me singing Balloons.” he half-joked. “I don’t like this kind of revelation.”

For the first time in hours, Moonbin laughed, “Well, it’s all thanks to your fever that you had to slip the most crucial clue for me to decipher.”

Groaning, Jaehyun asked, “What clued you in that something about me was familiar?”

“When Auntie Boa got close to you faster than anyone else that she had been associated with. JinJin-hyung took two weeks for her to warm up.” he revealed.

“Did...did Appa notice…?” Jaehyun wondered, scared that he had to cut his ruse short and return home if he was ever discovered.

Shaking his head, Moonbin replied, “Not at the moment.” he sighed. “Why did you pose as a part-timer? You could have appeared at our doorstep and we would have welcomed you instantly.” he chastised.

“How was I supposed to know that you wanted to see me as badly as I do?” Jaehyun mumbled. “Well...this was not a plan that involved Dad. I chose to do this myself.” he admitted. “I guess I was scared that I would be turned away by Appa once he finds out that I sought him out and not the other way around.”

Moonbin rolled his eyes, “Yeah, the adult promise that Appa has to make the first move if he wants to reconnect.”

“Parents.” the two said in unison.

“So, what do we do now?” Moonbin wondered. “Are you still going to go on with this ruse, or are we going to tell Appa?”

Shaking his head, Jaehyun countered, “No. Not yet.” he told him. “As of the moment, I’m completely cut off from Uncle Changmin and my team unlike the past few months when I have regular secure contact. Something came up and Uncle Changmin deemed it better for me to hide for now. That includes hiding this from Appa.”

“Something happened?”

“Kind of. Uncle Changmin will fill me in when he can, but for now, I’m just Jung Jaehyun living off on his part-time job and the occasional support from his uncle, and honestly? I’d like to keep it that way for as long as possible.”

“Loved normal life, huh?” Moonbin mused.

“It has its merits.” Jaehyun hummed as he buried himself in the sheets. “Meds are kicking in…” he said, voice getting drowsy.

Patting the top of the comforter, Moonbin smiled at his older brother, “Get some rest. Let me crash at your couch until Appa gets here.”

“Go ahead.” Jaehyun responded.

Smiling, the younger stood up and went to the door, before stopping to look back at his sick brother, “And Jae-hyung?”

Jaehyun was about to close his eyes when he responded, “Hm?”

“I’m glad I found out. Really.” Moonbin said sincerely.

“Me too.” Jaehyun responded with a drowsy smile before Moonbin closed the door completely and true to his word, crashed on the couch.

Moonbin felt like there was a heavy weight off of his shoulders after the conversation. When he had concluded that his Yoonoh-hyung was Jaehyun, he was over cloud nine and allowed himself to cry for a few minutes before smiling at the idea that yes, his older brother was here, and he had been right under his nose over the past few months just to get to know him and Appa in the guise of a stranger.

They have plenty of time to ask questions to each other, but for now, hsi health is a priority. With that, Moonbin found himself getting drowsy, and in a few minutes, the apartment went quiet, the only noise that can be heard is the sound of their breathing.

“Appa...I don’t feel good…” four year-old Yoonoh whined as he snuggled further into the sheets of his bed.

His Appa carded his hands through his soft hair, easing a fraction of the pain that he was feeling. “There, there, Yoonoh-yah. Appa is here.” he whispered lovingly.

“...m-make it go away…” the boy whined weakly as he followed the warmth of his Appa’s hand.

The older man looked at the boy with an apologetic smile, “The bad feeling will go away if you rest and drink your medicine, okay?” he assured. “Now, Dad and Binnie will be home soon with your medicine, so please, be a strong boy until then, okay?”

Yoonoh nodded slowly as he snuggled in his bed, relishing the feeling of his Appa caressing his head.

A few minutes later, there was a soft knock on the bedroom door. When it was opened, it revealed his Daddy and Binnie.

“Hey there my strong boy, how are you feeling?” his Dad asked.

“Hyung!” three year-old Binnie exclaimed as he tried to reach out to his older brother while in the arms of his Daddy.

“Whoa there, Binnie, no, we can’t get close to your hyung.” his Dad said.

“But~! Hyung~!” the boy whined.

“Binnie, Hyungie is off-limits.” His Appa laughed as he watched Binnie being held back by their Dad from stretching himself out, trying to reach Yoonoh.

“Hyu~ung!” Binnie whined further.

Yoonoh giggled as he watched his Dad go closer as much as it was allowed, just enough for him to see Binnie’s face who was close to crying in their Dad’s arms.

“Binnie, Hyung is sick, and I don’t want you to catch it. Okay?”

“Hyung...sick?” he asked, looking at their Dad.

“Mmhmm. If you’re a good boy, Yoonoh-hyung will get better faster.” their Appa said as he took the packet of medicine that they bought at a nearby drug store.

Taking the medicine out of the packet, his Appa sat back on Yoonoh’s bedside and helped him sit down. “Here we go, if you take this, Yoonie, you’ll feel better faster, okay?” he said as he opened the medicine and poured a few milliliters of it in the measuring cup that came with it.

Yoonoh had to scrunch his nose in distaste as he saw an orange liquid that smelled like oranges, but with a hint of something nasty in it. Deep inside, he knew that medicines for sick kids do not taste good. They never do.

“Do I have to?” he looked at his Appa with his puppy eyes.

Knowing the reason why he questioned it, his Appa laughed and handed him the small cup. “I had your Dad pick the less nasty tasting one. Do you trust me?”

Nodding slowly, as not to have his head hurt, he downed the medicine as fast as he could just to avoid the taste. As soon as he did, his Appa handed him his small glass of water and drank it to wash away the lingering taste.

“There we go, good job Yoonie,” his Appa said and kissed his forehead before helping him lay back down on the bed.

Mustering up the strength after drinking the medicine, he let out, “Orange is less nasty than the strawberry one…”

That made his parents laugh at the thought. “That’s why Binnie and I bought that one, because we know how you don’t like the other flavors.” his Dad said.

“Strawberry is icky.” Binnie agreed.

“Well then, we better get going, Binnie. Hyung needs his rest.” his Dad said as he turned to leave the room.

Binnie adjusted himself in his hold to look over his shoulder as he was leaving. Waving his free hand, Binnie bid him, “Bye bye, Hyungie. Get better.”

“Thank you Binnie.” he said as the door closed.

Once he and his Appa were alone again, he asked, “Is there anything else you want, Yoonie-ah?”

“Um…” Yoonoh hummed as he thought of something. “Can you sing me the song…?”

Understanding what he meant, his Appa smiled. “Of course,” he said. “But Appa might be a little off-key since we don’t have music. Is that alright?”

“Appa sings beautifully even without the music. Dad and Binnie and I agree.” Yoonoh complimented.

Chuckling, he pinched his cheek lightly, “You two are so much like your Dad in flirting, huh?”

“What’s flirting?” Yoonoh asked.

“Nevermind that. Should I start now?” his Appa asked.

“Yes please…” Yoonoh replied, forgetting the question wasn’t answered.

The moment he did, his App started singing, and the lyrics and tune was relished by his ears with the beautiful voice of his Appa.

 

During my past childhood, I dreamt a beautiful dream

about riding a balloon and flying

If a yellow balloon flies in the sky,

My heart remembers beautiful memories

My dream as a child was to ride a yellow balloon

and fly high into the sky

I forgot about that small dream and lived till now

because I grew up too much

But when I’m miserable,

I want to run around and play like a child

Filling a balloon full of my small dreams

 

During my past childhood, I dreamt a beautiful dream

about riding a balloon and flying

If a yellow balloon flies in the sky,

My heart remembers beautiful memories

 

I can’t understand why tears come out

when I look at the sky

I wonder why you forgot the tiny childhood

when you become an adult

At times, I too want to just

fly high into the sky

With my forgotten dreams and memories

 

During my past childhood, I dreamt a beautiful dream

about riding a balloon and flying

If a yellow balloon flies in the sky,

my heart remembers beautiful memories

 

La la la la la

Though time passes

La la la la la

Though I forgot

La la la la la

Will it be possible to contain it in a yellow balloon?

 

During my past childhood, I dreamt a beautiful dream

about riding a balloon and flying

If a yellow balloon flies in the sky,

My heart remembers beautiful memories

 

As his Appa hummed the final tune, Yoonoh found himself drifting to a sweet sleep, lulled by the sound of his Appa’s voice.

“Appa...good night…” Yoonoh murmured in his half-asleep state.

His Appa smiled and kissed his warm forehead, “Good night, my little Yoonoh.” he whispered as he carded his hands through his hair.

Before he fell completely asleep, he heard the last words of his Appa that made him smile and all warm inside, making him feel that he will be better in no time at all from his words alone.

“I love you.”

The sound of the door opening and closing took Jaehyun out of his dream.

“Is he alright?”

“Yeah, he drank some medicine earlier and it knocked him out.”

Jaehyun was going in and out of his sleep as he heard low voices outside of his room. Opening his eyes as much as he could, he could only see his door ajar with light coming from his living room, and two voices talking.

“He’s that exhausted. I should have noticed earlier on that he was being burnt out.”

That sounds like his Appa.

“Appa, it’s not your fault. It’s the school system.”

And that was Moonbin.

Turning his head to the side, he looked at the window to see that the sun had already set, meaning he had been asleep for too long.

“Can’t argue with that.” the older man’s voice agreed. “Can you wait in the car with your uncles? I’ll just do a quick check on Jaehyun and we’ll get going.”

“Okay.” Moonbin agreed, followed by the clinking of keys before he heard someone open and close his front door.

At this point, Jaehyun’s eyes were shut again, too sleepy and a little weak for comfort. When the door opened, the ray of the living room lights hit his eyes, making him groan at the intrusion.

“Jaehyun? Sorry for waking you.” Jaejoong told him as he went to his bedside.

Jaehyun smiled at the man, “Hey Boss JJ. It’s no problem. Moonbin told me you’d be stopping by to check in on me.” he told him.

“How are you feeling?”

From the light outside, Jaehyun could see how the light made his Appa glow a bit, making it ethereal, and once again, Jaehyun could remember the times when in his childhood, his Appa would be doing the same when he was sick.

He felt like the four year-old in his dreams again.

“Still not good, but better than this morning. Eunwoo and the others helped me out a lot, especially MJ-hyung.” Jaehyun assured him.

Jaejoong nodded. “Yeah, Myungjun is good at taking care of people. I’m glad they did. Will you be okay on your own? I can give you a few days off if you need it. I can even call the school if you will be missing it on Monday.”

Jaehyun nodded. “Thank you. I’ll know how to move forward by tomorrow. If I don’t feel better by then, I’ll let you know.”

Nodding, Jaejoong asked, “Is there anyone you want me to call? Your guardian? Your Dad?”

Shaking his head, Jaehyun replied, “No. It’s...complicated. I’ll manage on my own.”

“Jaehyun, you can’t mean that. Everyone needs someone to take care of them. Trust me when I say that you can’t manage life alone. No matter what, you will always need someone.”

At this point, Jaehyun was on the brink of crying. ‘I do need someone. You and Binnie, but I can’t…’ he thought to himself.

Remembering that particular memory of him being taken care of by his complete family had made him want it back.

The warmth, the laughter, the feeling of being in a complete family.

Don’t get him wrong, his Dad has done his best in making sure that he was raised still in a loving environment, but both of them know that there will always be something missing. The other half of their family that they had lost due to secrecy and the family business. Their very world had cost them the happiness that they had once had back when they had both Jaejoong and Moonbin in their lives.

That in itself, had made all the difference.

Soon as he had gotten older, the relationship between him and his Dad has become strained from being involved in the mafia, and all of a sudden, training to live another day had become the daily routine of their lives as soon as Jaehyun was old enough to fight and to carry and shoot a gun.

Even the little bubble that he had created for himself as Jung Jaehyun the student would always make him tread on eggshells, always worried of slipping that he would be found out as Jung Yoonoh despite the numerous changes regarding his identity that he had done, trying to act as normal as he could.

Now as he had cut himself off from his world just to meet his Appa and Moonbin just for a few months, and now, for his absolute safety, he was beginning to understand why his Appa had left in the first place.

He didn’t realize that he was crying until Jaejoong had shown a worried face and had tried to wipe his tears using his thumb.

“Jaehyun, I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have pried into your personal matters…” he apologized.

Jaehyun shook his head, knowing that he was being too emotional, a side effect of his fever. “No...it’s nothing...I just…” he muttered, “I just wish...my Appa would nurse me back to health like when I was a kid.” he revealed. “But I know it’s impossible. He doesn’t even know who I am, or whether or not he wants me back in his life.” he said with a sigh. “Sorry, I’m mumbling. It’s the fever…”

Jaejoong smiled, “You know, my son, Yoonoh is like this too. His mouth filter will disappear and say all the things he had pent up inside until he turns into a crying mess.” he mused, a memory of a little Yoonoh complaining that he wants his Appa to take care of him, and not his Dad. He could also remember how upset and pouty the said man was for hours after Yoonoh had fallen asleep from his medicine, and he had to go and assure him that Yoonoh still loves him despite him not being that good in taking care of him while down with a fever.

“Sometimes I wish they didn’t divorce…” Jaehyun muttered. “Maybe then, I won’t have to fight my Dad and my uncle sometimes when I was sick…”

That statement tugged at Jaejoong’s heartstrings, “Now I know it’s the fever talking.” Jaejoong soothed him, “Now, get some rest, okay? Eunwoo will be back tomorrow to check up on you to see how you’re doing.”

Jaehyun nodded. “Thank you, and sorry for rambling.”

“It’s alright, Jaehyun. Try to get some more rest tonight. If you’re hungry, we left dinner at the table.” Jaejoong bid.

“Goodnight.” Jaehyun bid back.

“Goodnight Jaehyun.” Jaejoong said as he left Jaehyun alone in his room and walked towards the door. While at the elevator, Jaejoong couldn’t help but recall Jaehyun’s rambling.

“Sometimes I wish they didn’t divorce…”

For some reason, he could somehow hear the seven year-old Yoonoh saying that, with the cute pout and his dimples showing, face flushed and on his bed, a clear sign of a fever rambling that he was always amused by.

But this time, imagining him saying that with a defeated voice almost brought Jaejoong to tears. It was as if he knew that at some point, for the past thirteen years, Yoonoh, and possibly even Moonbin, had thought of it at least once in their life after the divorce.

Was that the pain that he had given his children after all these years? Was it worth making them go through it just for the sake of him breaking free from the underworld that he had to escape twice in his life for a life of normalcy?

The thought of Yoonoh, growing up thinking that he no longer cared about him and had forgotten about him was too painful to think of, but seeing and hearing Jaehyun say it, it was as if it was his Yoonoh talking. The idea of him growing to hate him, or growing up thinking that Jaejoong no longer cared about him scares him. He was more scared that the boy would grow up resenting him for the past thirteen years, jading him beyond repair.

Would he one day hear his eldest son utter the words ‘I hate you’ instead of ‘I love you’ towards him?

Not only that, would Yunho be the same?

Shaking his head, Jaejoong dismissed the thought. There was no point in imagining the worst…

But what if…?

As soon as he got to the parking lot, he could see Moonbin waiting at the passenger seat right in front of his phone.

When he got the driver’s seat, Moonbin asked, “Will Jaehyun-hyung be okay for the night?”

Jaejoong smiled at him with reassurance. “Don’t worry, Eunwoo will check in on him from time to time.” he told him as he started the car.

As they were driving on the highway, Jaejoong asked, “Binnie, has Jaehyun ever told you about his family, by any chance?”

Wondering what this is all about, Moonbin decided to answer as generally as he could. “Yeah, he told me that he and his Dad aren’t on speaking terms right now and he can’t reach his uncle at the moment, but other than that, he’s not telling us anything else. He wants to keep things private.” he answered.

“Doesn’t he feel...a little lonely?” Jaejoong wondered.

Moonbin knew that his Appa was feeling parental, which was understandable. The only thing that he was missing though was that the one he was worried about was his actual son. “Jaehyun-hyung knows that he can count on us. We showed him that today.” he assured him. “I think he needs someone other than his family to rely on. He’s a bit too guarded and it’s not really healthy given his situation. MJ-hyung assured him that we’d be there for him when he needs us, and that’s all the reassurance that he needs right now.”

“Did Myungjun shriek at him berating him for pushing himself?” Jaejoong guessed.

Moonbin laughed, “Right when he saw him at the door.” he told him. “MJ-hyung knew from the second he saw him that he’s sick and didn’t even know it, so he had to take command of the apartment.”

“Keep on supporting him, okay? He’s part of our family now.” Jaejoong told him. “And just like what I told him, everyone needs someone that can help them when they need it.”

Moonbin nodded with a smile as the two of them became silent, the sound of the radio blaring soft music was the only noise throughout the drive.

‘You have no idea.’ Moonbin thought to himself with a smile. ‘From now on, Jaehyun-hyung will have all the help that he can get. I promise that.’

TBC