Chapter 5

Of Flowers and Guns

Park Jisung was not alien to the sight of blood. He has had fifteen years of his life dedicated to the sight of blood, gore and violence of the mafia world that he was born into. That, and the many action and spy movies that he watches with Chenle from time to time.

So when they found out that there was a lurker looking for Jaehyun, he immediately knew that he would be seeing it again after months of inactivity. He would be lying if he said that he felt any sympathy for the captured culprit, for it was them who mindlessly went into the lion’s den.

Everyone in their world knew that since the attempt on Jung Yoonoh’s life ten years ago, his security has been tight and no one has seen a hair or a shadow of him ever since. Rumors were circulating that he was evacuated to a place of maximum security, only to be seen by a handful of people.

Now someone had the guts to even attempt to get a glimpse of the said person to eliminate him, not knowing that over the years, Jung Yoonoh had gathered twenty-two people that are not too young or too old to be considered his friends and closest allies.

And right now, he was watching just how the older members deal with intruders.

From the adjacent room, Jisung and the rest of the younger members were watching their hyungs through a one-way glass window as they tried various methods of interrogation to the captured person. At the sides of the door were Mark and Haechan with guns, in case of some sort of miracle, the captive tries to escape.

Sitting cross-legged across from the perpetrator was their leader, Lee Taeyong, who had a steel-like expression in him, looking none too pleased with what the intruder was spouting.

“I...I swear…! I acted alone!” the intruder said as he was being held down by Johnny and Taeil at the back, while Yuta and Doyoung were holding two wooden poles at the side.

Right beside the intruder was Winwin and Jungwoo holding floggers as they hit the exposed legs of the captive the moment he uttered his previously spoken words.

When he grunted in pain, Taeyong raised his hands to halt Winwin and Jungwoo from continuing, and spoke again. “We have been at this for thirty minutes, and you are still denying that you are working under someone.” Taeyong said, “A regular assassin would not have been able to get any information that we had found on you. You are not a bounty hunter, you’re a hired killer.” he continued. “And whoever hired you will pay anyone big money to see the Jung heir dead.”

He looked at Winwin and Jungwoo and tilted his head. The two retreated and Yuta and Doyoung came forward with the poles with them.

Upon seeing the poles, the captive paled, suddenly realizing what they were about to do.

Johnny then spoke from behind him, “During my study of the Joseon era of South Korea, we found that there are many ways to make a treasonous person talk. It ranges from leg pressing, to flogging.”

Taeil then continued, “Then we thought, if these things make people talk, then this is the best thing to make you do the same.” Taeil said, “Since you are not a foreigner, I believe you know what it means if we do the most common harsh punishment for treason.”

“No...please…!”

But this time, they were not listening. It was too late for him to beg for mercy.

Yuta smirked and placed his pole between his legs, “I’ve never done this before. In Japan during the Tokugawa era, we have something called the ‘tataki’ which flogs a convicted criminal and could be sentenced to a maximum of 100 lashes. Now I get to try doing this juri-teulgi. From my own research, it can render someone unable to walk as we will be breaking your bones in the process. I hope you give me a good time in experiencing doing a new form of torture.” he said with a sadistic smile which made the captive shiver from where he sat.

“Ready when you are.” Doyoung told Taeyong as he placed his own pole between the captive’s legs.

Taeyong smiled sadistically, “Now then, let’s try this new method, shall we?” he braced. “Begin.”

As soon as Yuta and Doyoung pressed the wooden poles on opposite sides of his legs, the man began to scream in agony, unlike the previous flogging at the legs where he just bit his lower lip until it bled. Now he was feeling immense pain that can only be described as a trip to hell and back.

After thirty seconds of the pain, Yuta and Doyoung released the pressure to see if he cracked after one session.

“Now then, let’s try this again. Who sent you?” Taeyong asked again.

“Whew...Taeyong-hyung is extra scary today…” Jaemin said with a whistle as he and the rest of the younger members watch their hyungs torture the unfortunate soul.

Jeno winced as they heard the screams again. “Well I would be mad too if someone was trying to assassinate my boyfriend.” he commented. “I don’t think he’ll be walking anytime soon if this goes on.”

“Then we’ll just have to drag him down to his cell instead of guiding him to walk.” Sungchan commented.

“Who wants to bet how long will it take for him to give in?” Renjun asked them.

Jisung looked at Renjun “I’d say five minutes since this is Jaehyun-hyung we’re talking about.”

“I’m betting on ten minutes.” Chenle raised his hand.

“Six.” Shotaro joined in.

“Give the guy a credit, make it fifteen.” Jaemin put in.

“Twelve. With Doyoung-hyung’s insult on the side, he will probably last to spite us.” Jeno protested.

Sungchan raised his hand for Renjun to see, “Make mine nine minutes.”

“But really, is this person really only after Jaehyun-hyung?” Shotaro asked. “I received word back home that something is going on with the alliance changes, and it not only affects the Jungs, but Yuta-hyung and I as well.”

“He only had Jaehyun-hyung’s files when he was still using his former name, so it narrows it down to those who are no longer interacting with him since the change.” Jaemin told him, “And we can tell you that the list of those who are no longer seeing Jaehyun-hyung is far longer than the ones who still do.”

“Tedious, but I understand.” Shotaro replied as they looked back at the interrogation room where Taeyong had just begun the third session of the thirty-second leg twisting. “But just because he only has his information right now does not mean that it was all he knows.”

“Hence, the leg twisting.” Jisung concluded as they heard another set of screams. “But I am also willing to bet that Taeyong-hyung is taking his anger out of the poor soul because he’s one of the many reasons he can’t come and visit Jaehyun-hyung, wherever he is right now.”

All of them agreed on that.

“AAAGH! ALRIGHT, I’LL TALK, I’LL TALK, PLEASE! HAVE MERCY!”

All of them were startled when they heard the almost dying plead.

Renjun looked at his watch. “Four and a half minutes.” he said with a whistle.

Lee Taeyong was scary when mad indeed.

Jaehyun was Taeyong-deprived.

It had been a week since his call with his uncle Changmin, but he can’t help but miss his Taeyong.

Sure, he had agreed with him that he should not interact with his friends for a while until they find out if it was safe for them to try and contact him again without the constant worry of being followed or traced, but this was a matter of love!

The last time he had spoken with Taeyong was over the phone the day after his call with Changmin at the penthouse, detailing how he was upset, but he cannot help it if it is needed for Jaehyun’s safety and the secrecy of his location. Even chats and calls are not allowed with the risk of being tapped or hacked, despite having a team of talented hackers, who would take care of their cybersecurity. Still, it was a risk that the adults were not going to make, not after what happened ten years ago.

That does not mean that he had to like it, however.

He carried this thought from his classes to his job, not noticing that his co-workers and little brother were glancing at his robotic actions for the past two days after the stress-inducing wedding passed.

MJ was the first to voice out the concern when Jaehyun was not reacting to his normal skinship greeting upon starting his shift. Jaehyun would normally whine cutely and ask him to let go if he is arranging an order, but to the older one’s surprise, he just hummed like he was a passing gust of wind.

The next one to speak was JinJin. They were sorting out some heavy boxes at the back of the shop when he noticed that he was carrying only one crate of succulents at a time when he could normally do two at a time.

Third was Eunwoo. He knew that Jaehyun was starting to get out of it earlier on since he shares most of the major classes together, and is only half listening. It was a miracle that the professors were not catching him as he still managed to participate in discussions despite looking like he was in a trance eighty percent of the time.

Fourth were Moonbin and Sanha, who noticed that Jaehyun was working on autopilot while he was organizing the roses. The two had tried to prank him to confirm the theory when Sanha messed up the color-coded tags and Jaehyun didn’t notice it until Jaejoong did and scolded them lightly.

Rocky, who was the only reasonable person at the moment working under Jaejoong, was the only one who would try to snap Jaehyun out of his trances and ask if he was alright, but even that was only temporary, because a few minutes later, he would be back on autopilot.

It was too worrying that they had to report it to Jaejoong, who was worried that the young man would hurt himself unknowingly. Until then, Jaejoong instructed them to leave Jaehyun to his thoughts unless he does something that would injure him or knock something in the store that could cause injuries.

“I don’t know how much I can take watching Jae-hyung like that.” Sanha told Eunwoo who was manning the register for the day.

Eunwoo looked at Jaehyun who was in the middle of watering the flowers that are on display outside. “I don’t think we have much of a choice if he’s not telling us what’s on his mind.” he told him. “I tried asking him the first time I noticed, but he’s too keen on keeping things for himself.”

JinJin approached them at the counter who joined the two in staring at Jaehyun water the flowers, “He’s entitled to keeping his own secrets, but this is taking a toll on him.”

“How long do you three plan on staring at Jaehyun and getting back inside for break time?” Jaejoong questioned them with his hands on his hips. He looked exasperated as he also looked at the young man outside still watering the flowers.

Beside him were Rocky, Moonbin and MJ who just came out with him from their flower arrangement classes.

“We’re worried.” JinJin told them. “He’s been like that for days, and we don’t even know how long this will go on further if we don’t ask him what’s wrong.”

“Any hints though?” MJ wondered.

Eunwoo shrugged. “Nope. Wouldn’t tell me what’s wrong.”

“Is he watering the soil on the bromeliads?” Sanha shrieked as he looked at Jaehyun who was indeed overwatering the soil of the bromeliads, who only needed water directly on the plant, not the soil.

Before anyone could even act, Sanha rushed outside of the shop to Jaehyun’s side and took the watering can out of his hands, shocking the boy outside back to his senses.

Jaejoong and the rest watched from the inside as Sanha reprimanded him with a pout and had probably started lecturing him on the plants that he should not overwater.

Jaehyun, on the other hand, was a bit flustered at the younger’s lecturing, though it was expected as Sanha is a horticulture student. When Sanha tilted his head to make Jaehyun look back inside, it seems that the youngest had informed Jaehyun that he was worrying all of them. It was made obvious since all of them were watching the entire thing, though they couldn’t hear anything at the moment.

Eyes widening, Jaehyun followed Sanha inside and looked at all of them apologetically. “I’m sorry that I’ve been causing problems these past few days,” he apologized and bowed deeply.

Jaejoong waved his hand dismissively, “That’s alright, Jaehyun. We’re just worried that you might hurt yourself by operating on autopilot.” he told him. “Last time, I saw you almost prick your hands on the rose thorns. Is there anything bothering you?”

Jaehyun tilted his head down, a bit embarrassed at the reason why he was feeling so empty to the point that he would ignore his surroundings. It always drove the house staff mad with worry every time he was on one of his autopilot episodes. It would usually be caused by stress or deep thoughts that it was hard for him to snap out of it until he finds a solution or someone (Changmin or Taeyong) would snap him out of it and lecture him for worrying everyone.

“Well...it’s a bit silly…” Jaehyun started.

“We’re all ears.” Eunwoo insisted. “Besides, it can’t be as silly as JinJin-hyung getting jealous of Jaejoong-sshi’s friend because MJ-hyung is his biggest fanboy.”

“Hey!” JinJin huffed.

“The point is, Jaehyun, you can tell us anything.” Eunwoo told him. “We’re your friends.”

A warm feeling washed over Jaehyun at the knowledge that they didn’t just treat him as a co-worker, but as a friend as well. Eunwoo had made it clear that he was a part of them, but he didn’t really expect for him to be considered as one of them.

He smiled in appreciation, “Thanks guys, but really, it’s a little silly to admit…”

“We’re all ears. Come on.” MJ said as he went behind Jaehyun and pushed him towards the door to their usual eating spot.

Jaehyun sighed. He guessed it’s time to tell them about Taeyong. Maybe it will make him feel a little bit better.

“So it’s the matter of the heart.” MJ mused as he watched Jaehyun turn beet red after telling them an excuse as to why he was boyfriend-deprived.

He explained that he and Taeyong were in the middle of an argument that started a strain in their relationship since he moved out of his dad’s house and transferred schools so that he would not be under his father’s money as much as possible. They still meet up when it is convenient for their schedules, but recently, things got a bit hectic since Taeyong was a graduating student in the Veterinary Sciences department and is still in the middle of being pressured to study in order to graduate on time and to prepare for his doctorate and all things that Jaehyun couldn’t recall at the moment.

Things got a bit too complicated the weekend after the wedding, when the two of them argued about trying to meet up when their schedules would not match because of their different schools and living arrangements, to the point that Jaehyun misunderstood him that he was thinking he should have never argued with his dad to the point of being disinherited.

He has been feeling bad ever since, and he was deprived of his presence more than he thought he did.

“Then why not just swallow your pride and apologize?” Moonbin commented.

Jaehyun sighed, “Do you really think I would be this way if I didn’t? He’s not replying to my messages and when I call, he’d direct me to voicemail. He even blocked me on social media.”

Of course, that was a lie, but he can’t really admit that he can’t see or contact Taeyong because of the possibility of him being found out as the Jung heir.

But it did give the needed reaction from his friends and boss.

“That’s a bit too tragic. But all I can advise you, being older, is to just wait for him to come to you if he blocked every possible communication with you.” Jaejoong told him.

Moonbin snorted, “You’re speaking from ongoing experience there, Appa.”

“Shush!” Jaejoong said while pinching Moonbin’s cheek.

Jaehyun sighed. “I guess so. If he wants to talk to me again, I’ll put him on priority and apologize…”

“What does he look like though?” Rocky wondered. For someone to have Jaehyun regret fighting with the boyfriend, he must have been someone special both inside and out.

“Yeah, we hadn’t seen him yet, and you only tell stories.” Sanha added.

Perking up, Jaehyun fished his phone and went through his gallery, “Well, we hadn’t had a photo together in a while but…here he is on my birthday last year,”

He said enthusiastically as he showed them a photo of him and Taeyong.

He expected them to just compliment Taeyong, but he was curious as to why they were staring at him funny after seeing Taeyong.

Feeling a bit uncomfortable, Jaehyun asked, “What? Is there something wrong about Taeyong?”

“Aren’t you noticing something?” Moonbin asked him.

“Notice what?”

“He looks like Appa.” Moonbin pointed out.

At that, Jaehyun froze and looked at Jaejoong who was looking at him with a small smile on his face, clearly a bit flattered. He also looked back at Taeyong’s photo and realized that he showed them an angle of his face that would really make anyone who had seen both point it out.

He could feel his ears turning red at the realization that yes, when he met Taeyong, he did think once in a while that he looked as ethereal as his Appa. Winwin had that the saying that the children are normally drawn to marry or to court people that looks like one of their parents was true. Jaehyun denied that and told him that the reason why he fell for Taeyong was not because he looked like Jaejoong at all. Only a little bit.

“I-I-I didn’t notice!” Jaehyun could only let out and covered his face with his hands in shame as his friends and boss were looking at him with teasing faces.

Jaejoong laughed at them, “Enough teasing boys. I didn’t expect that he’d look a bit like me.”

“How long have you been together though?” Moonbin asked.

Jaehyun hummed, “Well...we’ve known each other since we were fourteen, but we didn’t start going out until we were seventeen so...almost three years.”

“No wonder you stared at Boss JJ too long on your first day.” Eunwoo said slyly.

“See Boss? Everyone thinks you’re pretty, even on Jaehyun’s standards, and he’s dating one that is almost like you.” JinJin added.

“Stop please!” Jaehyun pleaded, but it fell on deaf ears as they all laughed at Jaehyun’s red ears.

“Do you feel better now, Jaehyun?” Jaejoong asked Jaehyun soon after closing the shop. Even if it had only been a few hours since they listened to Jaehyun’s plight, he was still worried about the boy.

There was something about the teenager that made him want to just embrace and comfort him, something that he always does with Moonbin. He didn’t know what it was, but doing so made his heart settle and content that he was doing good now.

Jaehyun, still a bit flustered about being slightly exposed, nodded meekly as he put the last of the flowers into the glass refrigerators. “Thank you. Talking really helped me get back to myself.”

He was not lying, the fact that he was assured that he was not going through his everyday alone this time was something great, but still, there was a part of him that missed Taeyong and his friends who could not meet up with him for now.

If Jaehyun was being honest right now, he was a bit lonely. What once was a day filled with twenty-plus teenagers was now replaced by days of a normal life, but alone. Outside of school and work, he never really had the opportunity to hang out with other people. His free time would consist of studying, watching some movies in bed and going to the gym to continue his boxing workout. Other than that…

He was a young man with no other hobbies to speak of.

“Maybe you should start distracting yourself for the time being. The boys usually go to dance classes every other weekend. Do you want to try that?” Jaejoong offered.

Truthfully, the boys had been brainstorming how to ask Jaehyun to come to attend dance classes with them for weeks now. It was obvious to anyone but Jaehyun that they had grown attached to him, and were doing what they can to make him feel included. From the moment Jaejoong had them employed, they were not just co-workers to each other. He made it a point that they are good as close friends as well.That was why they can tease each other comfortably at every chance they get.

Now that Jaehyun has arrived, it was time for him to be one of them.

“If...if it’s not a bother…” Jaehyun stuttered. “Do you think they would mind?”

Smiling, Jaejoong went to the backdoor of the front shop and opened the door without warning. As soon as he opened it, a total of six bodies fell on the floor, shocking the younger.

Within a second, MJ stood up and placed his hands on his sides with a huff, “Of course it’s not a bother! You’re one of us now!” he stated. “We’ve been meaning to ask you if you want to join us in our dance classes for weeks now. You just seem to be someone who only knows the path of home, school and work, but we didn’t want to pressure you.”

The rest also stood up too, looking a bit apologetic for being caught eavesdropping, but were more eager in reassuring Jaehyun about his standing with the rest of the group.

“So, will you come with us to the next dance classes?” Sanha asked eagerly.

Feeling touched that he was being included, all Jaehyun could do was to reply positively. “Well, if you’ll have me.”

“Well then, that’s settled! I’ll help you tomorrow get the necessary stuff after classes.” Eunwoo spoke up.

Jaejoong watched as the chatter of the boys resonated throughout the shop. A fond smile graced his face at the sight.

Upon seeing Jaehyun’s dimpled smile, which signifies his sincere happiness, Jaejoong was still reminded of his eldest.

If he had watched him grow up, would he look just like Yunho and Moonbin? Or will he resemble Jaehyun?

A sense of longing went through his heart and sighed. There was no guarantee that if he ever chose to meet Yoonoh if he approached that he would agree in meeting him. After all, he was the one who left him and only brought his younger brother with him. He was bound to be hated by his eldest.

‘I wonder what you look like right now? Will you be just like Yunho, or more like me? I wish I could find the strength to see you again, Yoonoh. I miss you so much. Every day…’

“I was hired by a middle man to find out how to infiltrate the school of Jung Yoonoh. There was no order to harm!”

“Explain your weapons then.”

“I only use them for self-defense in case someone tries to kill me during my intel work! If anything else, I was only tasked to gather intel. I’m only following orders.”

“And who is the one who hired you?”

“...I don’t know which specific group they come from.”

“So it’s a group? Start again.”

“AAAHHHGH!! I DON’T KNOW THE GROUP, I SWEAR!”

“Then give me a name.”

“I...I can only recognize the name Kim.”

“Kim? There are a lot of group surnames that are Kim. Which specific group is it?”

“It’s...I’m not sure about this, but I saw a related name on my handler’s files on another target! We were both given the orders on the same day and it might be from the same group, I’m not sure!”

“Cut to the chase. Whether or not they are related, we need that name. Who is it?”

“I...I saw that my handler’s order was given by the Gongju Kims!”

*CLICK*

The office has never been so silent as soon as Changmin stopped the recording that Taeyong had sent them a few hours after the interrogation had been completed on their captive.

Yunho glared at the phone recording as if wanting it to burn just from his stare alone.

There was someone that was after Jaehyun, and they had managed to trace him to NCT College with just a few files. What was more, they were sent to just gather intel. He doesn't know if he should feel relieved or worried, which is a sentiment that he shares with Changmin and the boys.

No matter how many times they repeated the recording that had been sent by them a few days ago, there was only one conclusion that they could draw from the confession of the captive.

“Where is the captive now?” Yunho asked Changmin.

“The boys gave him a sedative that knocked him out for two full days before he was surrendered by them to our men to take care of the rest of the clean-up.” he replied.

“This is all they could gather from the man?” Yunho asked.

“Aside from the files on his phone and his weapons to subdue and not kill, nothing else. Donghae-hyung and Eunhyuk-hyung will be handling the captive to erase his memories with their drug before handing him over to the psychiatric hospital a few cities down.”

“Gongju Kim…” Yunho muttered as he leaned on his chair with a groan and massaged the bridge of his nose.

Changmin was just as surprised as Yunho when they first heard the recording, and repeating it does not seem to make it real either. “Hyung...why would they?”

“I don’t know either, Changmin, but one thing is for sure, we’ll need to speak with them.” Yunho stated.

“Not the kind of reunion I would imagine for you, Hyung.” the younger mused.

“I know. But I need to know why the Eight Lady Kims are ordering small fries to investigate their nephew. Make the necessary preparations.”

“Understood.”

TBC