Chapter 3

All the Stars

 

 

The first thing Kai realizes upon waking up is that Hanna is not with him. His eyes slide open lazily. He had not sleept that peacefully since before the death of his father, and perhaps longer still. Kai groaned. His hand stretched out to his bedmate's back. 

She was not there. 

Kai sat up with a start. His mind raced, filing through the different possibilites. No one could have entered his bedroom and taken her without him knowing. Kai had slept soundly, but not that soundly. His life always seemed to be at risk. If anyone dangerous had come in and wrested her away he would have heard. He would have woken up. His hands twitched as he stood from the bed and began to look again. No - if she hadn't been forced out she must have woken up on her own. 

He glanced at the clock on his bedside. 11:35? Kai shook his head with a groan. He must have slept sounder than he realized. He was usually up by now. The gang leader stood up and walked out of his bedroom. If she had gotten up by her own, he hoped she would still be in the apartment. Most girls he had done one-night stands with before had done that, hung around in the hopes he would be up soon and talk to them. Most hoped he would get their name, their number, talk to them and flirt with them. Most hoped he would want them to stay because everyone he had ever brought back here knew who he was - 

He was Kai, King of the Voiceless Devils. His gang had been handed down to him by his father and his father before him. The Voiceless Devils had been around for over 100 years and they were good at what they did - make an obscene amount of money through less than legal means. Violence and dread went hand in hand in his life. It's part of why last night had felt so good. 

Kai had never been with anyone who had not known who he was - what he was. It felt good to be desired and admired by someone who was seeing Kai as simply Kai. The urge to see her again, to speak to her, to see if that girl who had told him he was lovely and good and handsome last night would say the same thing to his face if she knew who he was. He hoped so. 

But where had she gone? That was the question Kai wanted answered so badly it almost made his body ache. 

Kai took out his phone, quickly dialing the club he'd picked her up at. It was under his thumb, as was most in the nightlife district. It wouldn't take long for them to get her name and for him to meet her once again. 

Hanna he thought as he touched the empty space on his bed. Hanna.

It turned out that Kai would have to wait a little longer to meet with Hanna once again. The club had no idea who she was. She was given a VIP ticket someone else had paid for. That girl, Jia, said she didn't know who she was, only that they had met outside of the club. (She also said she'd love to date Kai if he was looking for a girlfriend but that was turned down harshly). Her face was run through numerous databases to see who she was, but there was no trace of her. It was as if she didn't hold an identity, or if she did she was someone with very little presence. No social media was attached to her face and with no last name it was that much harder for Kai's plants in the police department and government to follow up on her. She had bought no drinks that night, and had used no ID. 

Hanna turned out to be an intruiging challenge, and the mystery made Kai want to find her even more. 

"We'll find her," Sehun assured him. His right hand man sat still in the car seat in front of him. Sehun knew Kai the best, and he knew when Kai was in a dark mood. He knew not to push too hard on this, which made Kai grateful for him. It didn't help his mood too much though. 

"We'll keep looking," Kai said. "No one in this city has ever been able to hide from us for long. A girl won't be any different."

"Wherever she is in this city," Sehun agreed, "We will find her soon."

Kai drummed his fingers on the armrest thoughtfully. 

"Follow up with that girl, Jia," he said. "She was lying, though I don't know about what. See if we can press on her father a bit to get a real answer about where Hanna met her."

And they drove on, deeper into the night to complete their business. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It had been three weeks since Hanna had slept with Kai. She thought, as her roommate had told her, that it wouldn't change a thing about her. She had thought that too, that she would be able to move on with her life. Kai would be stored away as a good memory in her mind and nothing more. But it had been three weeks. Hanna felt miserable. 

"I don't understand why," Somi told her. She sat on the couch, eating chips and ignoring her homework for the week. "I mean, it sounds like he was cute but cute guys are a dime a dozen. Why are you so hung up on this?"

"I don't know," Hanna moaned. She pulled her blanket closer around her, dangling her feet off the edge of the chair. "I just miss him. I wish I knew more about him."

Somi shrugged, crunching a chip. 

"I mean I get that part, but what's done is done. He didn't give you a phone number and you don't know his last name. It's done girl."

Hanna nodded, but her gut twisted inside of her. Hanna felt nasuaes, a wave of sickness washing over her. She began taking deep breathes. Willing away the sickness didn't do much. She was going to throw up. Hanna stood up, waving away Somi's concern as she lurched towards the bathroom. Her hands were sweaty, her world spinning a bit. Hanna shook her head. She was coming down with something, she had to be. Hanna closed the bathroom door behind her and begin to gag. 

Outside, she heard someone knock on their door. 

"I'll get it!" Somi called out cheerfully. "Since you're busy and all."

The door opened. Somi's voice came through the bathroom door, slightly muffled. Hanna ignored it, focusing on her own problems. The wave passed, leaving her feeling light headed and weak. She should go the school nurse. Hanna determined she'd go tomorrow, after her morning class. 

"Hey Hanna," Sommi closed the front door with a click. "Someone delivered you flowers? There's a letter here too."

Shaking her head, Hanna stood up and walked out. Head still spinning, she was shocked to see the bouqet of crimson Chrysanthemums in her roommate's arms. Sommi handed them to her with a squeal. 

"Maybe they're from Kai!" she said with a wide smile on her face. "Or a secret admirer!"

Hanna felt cold, sick, and distant. Her memories seemed to overtake her, throwing her back into the darkness of her childhood. Her blood ran freezing cold upon the sight of the flowers. No - no these weren't from Kai. They couldn't be he had no idea who she was beyond a one-night stand. Her mother used to tell her the names and meanings of flowers when she was young, back when Hanna still lived with them and before the incident. Her mother was skilled at plants and their uses. She wanted to pass it down to her children, teaching them even when they struggled. And so Hanna knew what message Chrysanthemums held. 

They were flowers for graves, for death. They would put them on the graves of her grandfather and the others in the town who died. Decorating the gravesight or their urns with the red flowers. They always looked like blood to her. She never liked doing it but her father said it was their duty to honor the dead. Hanna wondered who honored her father now. Her uncle certainly didn't, and the rest of her family had been scattered like rats fleeing a sinking ship. 

Hands shaking, she looked at the little note card attached to it. Tears brimmed in her eyes as they scanned the familiar handwriting on them. 

To my darling sister Hanna, I'll be seeing you son. 

Your devoted brother, 

Chanyeol.

"What's wrong?" Somi asked. "Hanna?"

"I need to call my uncle," Hanna told her. "Right now."