III

The Mirror; His Reflection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I am not sure how long has it been since I started following him, but I can see the sun has slowly set down and I am losing my energy to catch up after him. The birds are flying on the sky, going back to their home before the darkness take over.

 

At the time, I could hear the sound of water flowing not far from the place we are passing over.

 

“Hey-” I grab the hem of his shirt and he glared at me. “Ouh- Im sorry” I quickly let go and look away. “I think I heard the river, don’t you think we should head there instead? Its going to be dark soon”

 

He turn to the sound and look at me, who is catching after my breath in secret. He change his lane, heading toward the river with no other words. I smile in relief, at the thought of having water for my thirsty dry throat.

 

The sound getting clearer by seconds, until I see the view of the river.

 

I gasped with happiness as I run toward the river bank. The water is crystal clear and the creatures inside is colourful. They are all weird looking fishes but so beautiful.

 

“Now it finally come to me” I said, “This is not the reality. Theres no such things exist on earth..” I mumbled as I keep staring at the swimming creatures.

 

“What are those?” I point toward the creatures.

 

“Fish” He simply answer as he take off his worn out bag on the ground and let himself rest in between the big roots.

 

“They are wonderful” I said, crouching down and extend my hand toward the cold river. Its refreshing kind of cold. I collect the water with my hand and take a sip before sighing in relief.

 

“God, it feels like Im finally alive”

 

“We are not even half of the way” He said and I turn to him, “Where are we heading to anyway?”

 

“The Castle”

 

“Huh? Are you referring to the place where a King stays at?”

 

“A queen, to be precise”

 

“Why are we heading to that place?”

 

“Its the only place where you can go, to bring you back to your place” He said as he stared at me. I guess he see my frightened face when he changes the topic. “I’m going to look for dry woods, you stay here” He get up, stop and turn to me. “Do not touch anything. Some things are not meant to be touched nor eaten. I wont be long” He said and quickly leave.

I take a deep breath and let myself fall on the ground.

 

This place sounds scarier the more I know about it. I look at the river and see my reflections there. This dress, the way my hair is styled is not me at all. This bizarre place is not familiar at all and the wind started to get cold.

 

I wont cry. I tell myself as I stared at the swimming creatures.

 

“What are you?” I mumble as I hug my knee. I try so hard to hold onto the tears but a few just fall against my own will. By then, I let myself getting so deep into my own thinking until the exhaustion take over my body.

 

 

 

 

The sounds of the fire wake me up from my deep sleep. I get up and a warm blanket fall from my shoulders. I stared at it before turning to him who is sitting at the other side of the fire.

 

I sigh deeply, “This is not a dream”

 

He look at me, “You sounds disappointed to see me again”

 

I fake a smiles, “Sorry, doesnt meant it that way. At least you’re still here. This dream is going to turn to a nightmare if I find myself alone here” I grab onto the blanket and wrap myself in it all over again.

 

He stand on his feet, grabbing something and handed it over to me. In his hands is a something wrapped in a leaf. “What is this?”

 

“The fish you saw in the river. Have some food, you are going to die starving” He said and I grab the warm leaf and take it off, revealing a cooked fish inside.

 

“Is this what you always eat?” I said as I take a bite, Surprisingly, it taste exactly like the fish I knew in reality. “Sometimes” He said as he grab a branch and threw it into the fire.

 

I stare at him, finding him hugging himself in the night coldness. “Do you need this blanket?”

 

“No, you can keep it”

 

“...Ok” I said as I finish my dinner.

 

The night get deeper and my eyes doesn’t feel heavy. It silent between us but doesn’t feel awkw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter