Dormancy

Bleeding into Euphoria
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Chaewon shared an understanding look with the younger girl. Wonyoung was right, many of them are keeping a secret. Chaeyeon has the right to keep hers, after all she’s probably also not aware about everyone. She seemed clueless about their nature while she was hanging out with Eunbi. Everything seemed normal for her even.

“I just hope that if we’re staying in the dark about her nature then hopefully she is too.”

Wonyoung shook her head with a grimace. “Now, you’re just insecure that she might know our nature and you don’t know hers.”

Chaewon crossed her arms and showed a defiant look. “Isn’t that the proper response? Like I’ve said before I only worry about our safety.” Wonyoung doesn’t seem impressed with that. She shook her head again as if she was giving up on something, most probably the argument that would come up if she had pointed more about the other girl’s insecurities.

“Just back off a little. She’s been here for a year and she hasn’t done anything. Your little group however had only been here for less than a week. Shouldn’t we be more worried about that?”

Chaewon took a step back, surprised about the hint of accusation on the werewolf’s tone. Wonyoung’s nonchalant look wasn’t making her feel any better.   

“Are you accusing us of being a threat?”

Wonyoung shook her head slowly and even waved her hand to assure the girl that it’s not what she meant by that. “It’s not like that, I’m just saying that Chaeyeon had been with us for a while and we’re completely fine. To us, Chaeyeon is human until proven otherwise, and humans are something we know how to handle. As for your  kind we are familiar with how you work and because of that I think we have the right to be wary. I hope you understand.”

Chaewon nodded slightly. Her temper had gotten to her hence her abrupt reaction. Perhaps, Hyewon was right when she told her that adolescence would affect her mood often. Anger was one of the emotions werewolves are very familiar with after all.

“I do.”

Wonyoung smiled and looked satisfied. “Should we get going? I’ve already missed the second period. I don’t want to miss third. Yujin would be worried.” Wonyoung was pointing towards the path they had taken to get there. Chaewon looked up at the sky and bathed in its warmth.

“I think I’d like to stay here a little more.”

“Do you know your way back?”

Chaewon nodded. Wonyoung wasn’t sure if she should really leave her but Chaewon had already pushed her away gently to convince her to go. “It’s fine, you can leave me. I’m good with finding my way out.” 

Wonyoung hummed. “If you say so.”

Chaewon smiled gently.

“But if I don’t see you later at lunch I’d set up a man hunt to find you.”

Chaewon chuckled at that drastic suggestion. She nodded gently just to go along with it. Wonyoung doesn’t seem like she’d leave until she did. The younger girl finally got convinced and let Chaewon stay to do whatever she wanted. 

Truth be told, Chaewon only stayed because the small garden reminded her of her home. They also had a small maze back in their manor. She had gotten lost often when she was younger but Hyewon had taught her how to get out after many times of losing her. Yena on the other hand just loved seeing her get lost in the middle of it. 

The hedges that served as walls were filled with roses. They varied in colors, white, red and pink. She stepped closer to it and picked a red one. The shade of red reminded her of a pair of lips, its owner someone she was being acquainted with as of late. She had the difficulty of opening up to people since she had been used to the idea that her family, Yena and Hyewon included,  was the only people she needed in her life. Minju however was slowly creeping into her heart and comfortably taking a place in it. It bothered her really but at the same time it was sending her a wave of calmness she couldn’t explain. It’s as if meeting the girl was supposed to happen a long time ago but it’s only taking place now.

A snap of a fallen twig pulled her away from her thoughts. She paused and turned around. The girl that had been in her thoughts stood there. Her stance was awkward as if she was caught doing something she wasn’t supposed to. After a while of silence the girl timidly waved her hand.

Chaewon gave her a small smile.

“How did you know I was here?”

Minju stepped closer. “Yuri knew you were supposed to be at her second period but she told me you weren’t there. Hyewon said you’d probably be with Wonyoung.” Minju was a few feet away from her now. “I saw Wonyoung and she told me that  you’d be at the center of the maze. I haven’t been here a while and I got lost a little bit but I guess I figured it out.” Minju proudly smiled.

“Took you awhile but you found me.”

Minju nodded. “I did,” she said in a whisper.

Chaewon didn’t really understand why she had said that or why Minju replied like finding her meant something more than it’s supposed to be but it didn’t matter because it felt right. 

Chaewon smiled and presented her the rose. Realizing the reason she had decided to pick it in the first place. “Here, I picked it ‘cause it reminded me of you.” She couldn’t say that it reminded her of her lips specifically but that small detail was fine to omit.

The hybrid looked confused when a flash of worry appeared on Minju’s face.

“What’s wrong?”

“You’re bleeding.”

Chaewon stared at her finger and she saw small droplets of blood pooling on her skin. A very peculiar sight to see  since she barely bled and if she did it should have clot by now. Chaewon paused and thought about what to do with it. Minju quickly decided for her and pulled a handkerchief from her pocket to place on the finger.

“It’s probably the thorns from the rose,” Minju said.

Chaewon nodded slowly. “Probably,” she mumbled.

Minju led her to the bench she was sitting on with Wonyoung earlier. It’s the only place they could sit without getting their skirts dirty. Chaewon simply watched as Minju pulled a bandaid from her other vest pocket and stuck it on the finger. 

“Why do you carry band aids?” Chaewon asked, quite impressed to be honest.

“I get small wounds often. Not entirely sure how or why but I decided that I should just be ready hence the bandaids in my pocket,” Minju answered. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter