Chapter 8

A Forbidden Flame

The following day, the two girls woke up from deep slumber. They were both shattered from a day on the beach followed by a huge feast, which all of them struggled to finish. But finish it they did, with the helpful appetite of Rosie. 

 

The sun shone through the teal curtains, casting a sea-coloured hue around their room, as they both stirred awake. At first, Rosie didn’t realise that she was awoken by a noise until she heard a knock come from the veranda door. In half a daze, the blonde untangled herself from the brunette, who had successfully wrapped herself around the taller girl during the night and then groggily pulled herself off the bed. Jennie let out a groan of disappointment at the blonde’s escape from her grasp, which made the taller girl smirk. 

 

Rosie pulled the curtains back to reveal Jennie’s mother with her fist raised, ready to knock on the door once more. Jennie’s mum smiled at the sight of Rosie and then chuckled as she noticed the disheveled hair sticking out in all kinds of directions. The pointed finger instantly made the blonde self-conscious and shy but tried to look as casual as possible as she ran her fingers through her hair, trying to tame the blonde mess. 

 

“I thought you two would never wake up!” Jennie’s mum said as Rosie opened the door. 

 

“What do you mean? What time is it?” The blonde put her hand through her hair again before looking at Jennie who was seemingly unaware of her mother’s presence. 

 

“Almost 11!”

 

“What?! No, I set an alarm for eight,” the blonde reminded herself as she walked to the bedside table and unlocked her phone. 

 

“See, I set the alarm, but we must have slept through it,” the blonde was slightly shocked at sleeping so deeply as to disregard her normally effective alarm. 

 

Jennie’s mum raised her brows and shrugged her shoulders as if to say “obviously” before nudging the passed-out brunette on the bed. “Come on sleepyhead, wake up. We’ve got things to do today.”

 

No response. 

 

Her mother nudged her harder, causing her body to rock back and forth with each nudge. 

 

“Stop it,” Jennie mumbled, coming around. 

 

“Stop it baby,” the brunette said more coherently, thinking it was Rosie who was nudging her. 

 

“Baby, let me sleep. You wore me out last night, it’s all your fault.”

 

Jennie’s mother’s jaw dropped and her eyes widened as she looked straight at Rosie, who gasped at Jennie’s words, mortified that Jennie just eluded to their promiscuous activities the night before. 

 

Upon hearing the gasp, Jennie opened her eyes, and instantly looked ahead at Rosie, who she realised was standing in front of her. This worried Jennie as she clearly knew that she was being nudged from behind, meaning that someone else was there. Her eyes grew wider as she turned over and gasped when she saw her mother. 

 

“Oh, mom!” She exclaimed as she quickly sat up, and pulled the blanket over herself, covering everything except for her head. She was caught off guard and shy.

 

“So Rosie, what were you doing to my daughter last night, that wore her out?” Jennie’s mum asked in a joking way. 

 

Rosie and Jennie both looked at each other mortified. 

 

“MOM!” Jennie squealed and shot a disgusted look at her mother. 

 

Rosie didn’t know what to do or say, but had the overwhelming wish for the ground beneath her to open and swallow her whole. 

 

Confusion grew in the two girls when Jennie’s mother started laughing at the squirming duo. The two girls looked at each other and both eased a little when they realised that Jennie’s mother was just having a laugh at their expense. 

 

“Mom, you can’t say that! I’ve never heard you say anything like that before. What would dad say if he heard you say that to his daughter?” Jennie was still slightly shocked by her mother’s crudeness. 

 

“Well, he’s too busy working. Which is good for me. Now, I can be just one of the girls,” Jennie’s mother celebrated with hands in the air. 

 

“Since when do you want to be one of the girls? And with us? We’re your daughter and your daughter…in-law,” Jennie stumbled for a lack of a better word. “…and you’re…my mom!”

 

“So?! We’re in the Seychelles. We’re on paradise on Earth and I want to have fun with my daughter and daughter-in-law,” she said looking at Rosie with a cheeky grin, purposely not stumbling over the term of endearment, even though they weren’t married. “So get your arse out of bed, and get this day started. We’ve all been waiting for you two lovebirds for over two hours. We’ve all had breakfast already, and we’re ready to get going.”

 

“You didn’t have a cocktail with breakfast did you?” Jennie asked, half-jokingly. 

 

“Two! And I’m gonna have another if you two don’t hurry up!”

 

“Okay, okay! We’ll be out in 15 minutes. Just go and wait for us at your villa,” Jennie pointed towards the door, demanding her mother to leave and save her from any more embarrassment. 

 

With a chuckle, Jennie’s mum left the villa, leaving Rosie and Jennie looking at each other, bewildered by the unprecedentedly awkward conversation.

 

 

 

They all stepped out of the large SUV that they had rented, one big enough for six people, outside of the town market. Rosie and Jennie were super excited to visit the market to see what local foods and native memorabilia they could find. Walking around the local markets was a tradition that the girls did everywhere they went, ever since their first performances in other South Korean cities. But their love for market trips deepened when they had shows abroad, giving them the opportunities to explore a country’s culture through the endless stalls. 

 

“Oh, look at all the fruit!” Rosie squealed, tugging on Jennie’s arm. The brunette just smirked knowing the love that Rosie had for food. Her arm was pulled as she was guided to the fruit stall by the taller girl. 

 

“Oh, wow! It all looks so delicious!” The blonde squealed again, looking at Jennie while bopping up and down in desperation. “I want to try it all!” 

 

“Well, ask for some samples and then buy your favourite,” Jennie chuckled at the blonde’s excitement. 

 

“Can I try this, please?” Rosie whipped her head round to the woman behind the stall, pointing at a yellow mango. The woman nodded, picking up the mango before slicing one side of it. Rosie bit her lip in anticipation and tried hard not to drool. 

 

The woman handed her a piece of mango on the end of a toothpick, which Rosie eagerly grabbed and promptly put in . As she chewed, a burst of caramel-like sweetness erupted in , causing her to flap her arms like a young bird learning to fly. The brunette chuckled again at the adorable display and her heart swooned at Rosie’s wide eyes and smirk as she chewed. 

 

Another piece of mango came on a toothpick for Jennie, who took it and ate it too. The noise from was in agreement with Rosie: delicious. 

 

“Can I try some more fruit, too?” The blonde asked the friendly woman behind the stall, who nodded with a smile. 

 

Rosie picked out several fruits that she wanted to try, and each of them produced the same happy flapping reaction, which in turn produced the same smile from her brunette girlfriend. 

 

“Come on, let’s go before you eat everything and put her out of business,” the brunette giggled. 

 

They walked away, with Rosie carrying a bag of assorted fruits, which would serve as her snacks for the next couple of days. 

 

They continued hand-in-hand through the market, walking with the rest of their group, closely examining every stall in sight. Their heads never looked straight ahead, as they turned, twisted, and craned their necks to look at everything on sale at every market stall. 

 

“Oh, vanilla!” It was Jennie’s turn to squeal. “Look at all the vanilla products!” She dragged the blonde across the aisle, weaving in and out of passing people. 

 

“Wow! Is everything here made from vanilla?” The brunette asked the man behind the stall, who nodded with a smile. The brunette scanned the array of products: vanilla essence, vanilla oils, vanilla candles, vanilla perfume. 

 

“Rosie, you have to smell this,” she sprayed it on to her own wrist and held it in front of Rosie’s nose to smell. As the blonde smelt the fragrance, her eyes closed and rolled back into her head, as the scent took control of her mind. As she finished inhaling the scent, she let out a satisfied breath. 

 

“I know right. It smells beautiful!” The brunette said while sniffing it again and smiling contently at the fragrance.

 

“What would you do if I wore it?” Rosie teasingly asked. 

 

“Oh my god! If you wore this baby, I’d eat you!” The brunette blurted out not even registering the blonde’s teasing tone. 

 

“Buying!” Rosie announced as she grabbed a bottle of the vanilla perfume and handed it to the man to purchase. The brunette looked up from sniffing her wrist in slight shock. “Really? For me?” She grinned. 

 

“For both of us,” Rosie corrected her. ‘I’m gonna wear it and you’re gonna eat me,” she pumped her eyebrows suggestively. This didn’t go unnoticed by the brunette, whose eyebrows also rose, and her jaw dropped. 

 

“Rosie!” She slapped the taller girl’s arm and tried to hide her smirk.

 

“What?! You just said it yourself that you would…”

 

“I know, but I didn’t mean it like that,” the brunette tried hard to keep a straight face but failed miserably. 

 

“Oh! Okay, well in that case…” the blonde feigned disappointment and turned to the man behind the stall, “I’ve changed my mind, I don’t…”

 

“No, wait. I want you to wear it,” Jennie grabbed Rosie’s arm in panic, falling for the blonde’s trick. Jennie cursed herself as she knew Rosie was joking but the thought of Rosie wearing that vanilla scent was too strong and stopped her thinking rationally. 

 

“…and?” Rosie smirked. 

 

“Well, I’m not gonna say it here,” the brunette whispered loudly, scanning the market, looking at the possible eave-droppers. 

 

“But you will?” Rosie asked, with a grin, thoroughly enjoying teasing her brunette, knowing full well how much she loved that vanilla scent. 

 

“You know I will,” the brunette said with annoyance, but through a smirk, “I do it most nights,” she forced a scowl, trying to show the blonde how annoyed she was at her exploiting her love for the vanilla scent. 

 

“And you’ll do it again tonight,” the blonde bit her lip as she turned to give money to the seller before taking the bag with the perfume. Jennie continued her fake scowl at the blonde, as Rosie took her hand and guided them through the crowd once more. 

 

 

“We bought a lot today, babe,” Rosie announced as they walked into their villa, each carrying several carrier bags. 

 

“Yeah, but to be fair, most of the bags are filled with your food,” Jennie chuckled. 

 

“Yeah, I can’t argue with that.”

 

The two girls put their bags down on the desk and walked over to the bed, where they both jumped backward on to, allowing themselves to collapse. They both lay next to each other, with their hair splashed out onto the neat, fresh white duvet. Jennie took out her phone from her bag which she put on the bed next to her and started mindlessly looking through Instagram, checking out her friends’ latest posts and stories. 

 

Rosie got up, reminded of her own phone. She went to the desk and opened her bag to retrieve it. 

 

“What are you looking at, babe?” The blonde asked, a little concerned that Jennie might be searching for Chaennie paparazzi posts. 

 

“Just checking in on our friends. Jisoo looks gorgeous in her new Instagram pics.”

 

“She’s always gorgeous,” the blonde rebutted, opening her phone and seeing a few WhatsApp messages from friends. She opened the most recent one from Lisa. 

 

Hey, Chipmunk. I don’t want you to worry or anything, but one of my insiders at Dispatch said that a journalist said you and Jennie were seen at the airport together going on a secret romantic holiday. But they don’t have any pics or proof or anything and they don’t know where you guys went. So, don’t worry about it. But I thought you should know, just so you can play it safe. I know what Jennie’s like when it comes to Chaennie rumours. Enjoy the rest of your trip with your loverrrrrrrrr <3 

 

Rosie let out a tiny giggle at Lisa’s last sentence but then bit her lip as she re-read the message and worried about the journalist at Dispatch. She knew it was extremely unlikely that they would be exposed as a romantic couple on their holiday in the Seychelles, but she knew she had to follow Lisa’s advice and play it safe because the Thai girl was right about Jennie: she doesn’t handle Chaennie rumours very well, and hates the thought of being exposed and “ruining their careers” as she would sometimes say. 

 

Even though Rosie didn’t agree that their careers would be ruined if the world found out about them, she knew she had to swallow her pride and play it safe to keep her girlfriend happy. She would do anything for her. Jennie’s happiness came before her own. 

 

Rosie was pulled out of her thoughts and chuckled when her eyes landed on the picture that Lisa had sent following her message. It was a picture of Rosie and Jennie kissing on the beach, but they were obviously cut from separate images and rotated and pushed together to make it look like they were kissing, laid over a generic beach background. Rosie decided to reply.

 

Thanks for the heads up.

 

Btw, you spend too much time on Photoshop! 

 

A/N - Just a short chapter, and not the best. I haven't been writing much recently. I need you guys to yell at me and kick me up my arse. You can follow me on Twitter and keep me accountable there - @chaennieff