Chapter 5

A Forbidden Flame

“Can I have one mango smoothie and one strawberry smoothie, please?” Rosie politely asked the barista at their favourite café, instead of just demanding her drinks. 

 

“Of course,” the barista smiled as she entered the order into the till monitor. “Would you like some cake, too?” 

 

Rosie hummed in thought as she always found it hard to resist a slice of cake at their favourite café. 

 

Café Verde was their favourite café for many reasons. Firstly, it was pretty much in the middle of Rosie’s apartment and Jennie’s house, making it a convenient spot for both of them to meet up. It was also pretty central for Lisa and Jisoo, too, who also frequented it regularly. Secondly, the café was owned by a family friend of Jisoo, and all of the staff were relatives of said family friend, meaning they would never leak to the press that their café was the Blackpink local hang out. Jisoo trusted the owner with her life, which was good enough for the other girls. Thirdly, they had a car park, making secret visits easy as all they needed to do was to drive there, park there, and then sneak their way over the 10 metres of pavement that separated the parking spaces and the café’s back entrance. Fourthly, the windows were mirrored, meaning they could see outside but pedestrians couldn’t see inside, making their coffee shop dates super covert. Lastly, the cakes and drinks were some of the most delicious in the whole of Seoul, which was the main reason why Rosie and Jennie had gone there every Sunday for the past god knows how long without fail.

 

The barista took Rosie’s hum as a ‘yes’ and walked over to the cake fridge, which Rosie was already stood in front of, practically drooling over the scrumptious selection. Jennie walked beside the blonde and peered in too, and her lips as started to water. 

 

“I’ll have a carrot cake, please,” Rosie said in pure delight. “What do you want, wifey?” The blonde turned to Jennie. Calling her wifey wasn’t unusual and all of the staff at Café Verde had heard their affectionate nicknames for one another hundreds of times, and luckily only thought of them as cute friendly pet names, and nothing more. But with the past events still strongly embedded in Jennie’s mind, she flinched slightly at her normally favourite term of endearment and widened her eyes in worry that someone may have read too much into it. The brunette shook her head, snapping herself out of the momentary anxiety as she realised she was in a safe place. 

 

“Erm…strawberry cheesecake, please.”

 

Rosie chuckled, “I should’ve guessed.”

 

The girls sat down in a booth in the far corner, next to a window. Some people were walking by, busy with their own lives. Some were speaking on their phones while others were in conversation with their group of friends. Some carried shopping bags filled with new clothes and accessories, while others were listening to music through their headphones, in their own little worlds. Luckily, the café wasn’t on a high street, so the street wasn’t flooded with people, but it was busy enough to make it an exciting part of the city. 

 

Having taken off their masks, comfortable in the knowledge that they were in a safe place and also the only two customers, Jennie faced Rosie with a smile on her face. 

 

“So, let’s start planning our trip,” the brunette practically sang through a smile. 

 

“Yay!” The blonde cheered. “I had a look online for things to do, and there are so many cool things to do. I can’t wait!” 

 

“Oh, so what do you want to do, then?” The brunette inquired excitedly. 

 

“I want to go snorkeling and scuba-diving and see all of the beautiful fish and hopefully we can see some turtles again,” the blonde squeaked. 

 

“Yeah, that was so much fun. I’d love to that again with you.”

 

“I’d also like to hike up the mountain and see all of the beautiful views. The pictures from the viewpoints look so gorgeous!” Rosie’s excitement vibrated through her limbs, as she clapped her hands together. 

 

“You and your love of heights,” Jennie smirked. “Okay, we can do that too. It sounds fun,” the brunette said, willing to give the blonde everything she wanted. 

 

“And I’ve also found a stunning beach resort, with a swimming pool, a pool bar, a beach bar, a spa with massages, three different restaurants, with one on the beach, and I’m pretty sure they have strawberry cheesecake on the menu too,” the blonde smirked, earning a laugh from the brunette. 

 

“Well, in that case. I’m sold. Let’s book it,” Jennie said through a giggle. “What are the rooms like?”

 

“Here’s your mango smoothie,” the barista said as she placed Rosie’s drink in front of her. The sudden appearance of the barista startled the two girls as they were deep in thought about their romantic getaway. The two girls looked up at the barista and smiled, as they waited to continue their conversation in privacy. Jennie wondered if the barista heard her say ‘let’s book it’ and ask the blonde about the condition of the rooms. 

 

“And here’s your strawberry smoothie,” the barista continued as she put the pink drink in front of the brunette, seemingly uninterested in what the two girls were discussing. Jennie almost exhaled a sigh of relief. 

 

“And here are your cakes,” the barista concluded as she slid the two side-plates of treats into the middle of the table, knowing full well that they would share. 

 

“Thank you.” the two girls chimed in unison before the barista headed back behind the counter. 

 

“The rooms are gorgeous!” Rosie continued, opening her phone and bringing up screenshots of the bedrooms. “Just swipe through them,” she handed her phone to the brunette. 

 

“Oh, wow!” Jennie exclaimed, maybe a little too loudly, as she swiped through pictures of the breath-taking rooms. “Rosie, this looks amazing! I can’t wait to go there with you,” she confessed through a beam of a smile and placed her hand on the top of the blonde’s in the middle of the table. Their eyes met and they both smiled at the thought of how much they were in love with each other. The seconds seemed to stretch as time stood still, floating in each other’s eyes. But they were both snapped out of their trances as the entrance bell was hit by the opening door. With their eyes fixed on the entrance, they saw three young girls enter and walk straight to the counter. 

 

Jennie and Rosie turned back to each other and both took sips of their drinks, and both announced how delicious they were. 

 

The three young girls sat down on a table two tables behind Jennie. Rosie, facing them, could see the girls over Jennie’s shoulder, and saw one of the girl’s eyes widen at the sight of her. The girl then mouthed ‘oh my god’ to her friends, followed by ‘that’s Rosé from Blackpink.’ The blonde just smirked and went back to giving her attention to her girlfriend. 

 

“This carrot cake looks delicious,” said Rosie as she used a fork to glide through a small portion of the cake. She then put the moist piece of cake in , and her eyes widened in glee as she hummed at the deliciousness. 

 

“Wifey, you need to try this,” the blonde said as she refilled her fork. 

 

Hearing her nickname for Jennie, the same gossiping girl from the other table whispered to her friends “Oh my god, and that’s Jennie,” whilst pointing an obvious finger at the two. Rosie and Jennie didn’t hear them, but the blonde saw them pointing and raised an eyebrow at them in disapproval. The girl quickly lowered her finger and pretended she was deep in a non-Blackpink related conversation with her friends. 

 

With her eyes locked on the piece of cake coming towards her, Jennie didn’t see the glance that Rosie made to the girls behind her. She opened ready for the mouth-watering morsel. 

 

Rosie refocused on her girlfriend and saw agape. She chuckled at the sight and fed Jennie the piece of cake. The brunette took it in and chewed on it satisfyingly. 

 

“Wow! It is good! It’s better than I remember. Maybe they changed the recipe or something.”

 

The blonde giggled as the brunette complimented the cake. 

 

“What are you laughing at?” Jennie furrowed her brows. 

 

“You’ve got a little icing on your face,” the blonde continued to giggle lightly, pointing at the white smudge on the corner of Jennie’s mouth. 

 

Jennie the area of lip that Rosie was pointing at. “Did I get it?”

 

“Not really, there was quite a lot of icing on that piece of cake, so it’s all….” Rosie wiggled her finger in a circular manner, indicating that the frosting remained in the same area. 

 

“Here…let me get it,” Rosie offered as she put her thumb on the corner of Jennie’s mouth, collecting the icing and then showing it to Jennie. “See. Now you’re all clean,” she giggled again, and Jennie smiled. 

 

Then the blonde looked at the icing on the tip of her thumb and nonchalantly, without hesitation, put her thumb in her own mouth and the icing from it. 

 

Both girls thought nothing of it, as they often did that. After all, they had been in a romantic, ual relationship for years, and they also felt safe in Café Verde, making them more comfortable with showing affection towards each other. They knew they couldn’t do anything too affectionate, like kissing or snuggling, but it felt nice for them to be able to show a higher level of affection for one another, that they normally couldn’t afford to do in public. 

 

“Chaennie is so real,” the gossiping girl from the other table whispered a little too loudly, causing Rosie to look up, and Jennie to turn around to look at them, before quickly turning back around to hide her face. Both girls blushed. Jennie widened her eyes and deepened her breath. Rosie immediately regretted her action as she saw anxiety take over her girlfriend. The blonde put a reassuring hand on the brunette’s which was resting on the table. But Jennie retracted it as soon as the blonde made contact and hid her hands under the table. The brunette then kept her gaze low, avoiding the blonde’s eyes at all costs, and began sipping on her drink. The blonde examined the brunette and knew it was time to go home. 

 

“Check please,” Rosie requested with her hand up. The barista nodded from afar. 

 

“Don’t worry, okay. They don’t know anything. I’m gonna take you home now," the taller girl whispered across the table. 

 

 

 

 

At Rosie’s apartment, the two girls sat on the couch, with Jennie snuggled up to the blonde, who had her chin resting on the brunette’s head. 

 

“I can’t believe you did that,” the brunette muttered with a pout. 

 

“Stop saying that,” the blonde whispered with slight frustration. “It’s not like I it off your face,” she smirked. 

 

Jennie sat up and half-playfully hit Rosie’s arm and glared at her girlfriend. “You wouldn’t dare do that.”

 

“You’re right. I’d only do that in the bedroom,” Rosie smirked even wider. 

 

“Don’t say that!” Jennie hit Rosie’s arm again, seemingly genuinely concerned. 

 

“What?! No one’s here. It’s just us in my apartment. Who’s gonna hear us here?” The blonde defended herself through broken chuckles. 

 

Defeated, Jennie huffed and nestled herself back into Rosie. 

 

“We still need to book the rooms and flights, y’know,” the blonde whispered against the brunette’s head. The brunette shivered at the sound and vibration. “Let’s get everything booked now.”

 

The brunette remained nestled into the taller girl, enwrapped in the blonde’s right arm. 

 

“Okay. So when do you wanna go?” Jennie said softly, excited but still being the anxious baby Rosie knows her as. 

 

“How about tomorrow?” The taller girl suggested, with utmost genuineness. The shorter girl was taken back by the short notice and sat up, staring in concern. 

 

“Tomorrow?! Are you serious? I need to get my nails and hair done and everything. It’s not enough time,” the brunette complained. 

 

Rosie giggled at the adorable worry that Jennie displayed and gave in to her infectious cuteness. “Okay, what about Tuesday? That gives you three days to get your nails and hair done. Is that enough time?” Rosie teased, smirking and maintaining eye contact with her lover. 

 

“Hey! I know you’re gonna get your hair done too,” the shorter girl chuckled. “But don’t change the colour again. You’re really y and beautiful as a blonde,” she continued before leaning in and putting her lips against the blonde, translating her words into action. 

 

The taller girl hummed through the kiss, and pouted slightly as Jennie withdrew. 

 

“Well, I was actually thinking about dying it green,” the blonde said matter-of-factly, twirling a few strands of her around a finger.

 

Jennie’s eyes widened in horror and she opened , trying to find her words. 

 

“Yeah, I’ll make an appointment tomorrow to get my hair dyed green," Rosie nodded to herself.

 

Jennie narrowed her eyes as she glared at Rosie, and clamped her lips. 

 

“I dare you!” The brunette growled half-jokingly. 

 

Seeing the look on Jennie’s face of sheer disapproval at the thought of Rosie no longer being a y blonde, the taller girl thought she had better backtrack. 

 

“Fine, I won’t dye my hair green,” she smirked while being a little uncomfortable with the shorter girl’s constant glare. 

 

Luckily, her glare and clamped lips turned into half-crescent eyes and a smile of satisfaction.

 

“...as long as you carry on kissing me right now,” the blonde unexpectedly continued. The brunette returned to her glare, but this time in jest, before throwing herself on the blonde and attacking her lips with her own. 

 

She pushed the blonde onto her back, and got on top, straddling the taller girl between her legs. Their lips were locked in a fight for dominance, but the blonde quickly conceded and allowed the brunette to gain control and find her yearning tongue. They each let out a moan as their tongues wrestled, and as Jennie explored every millimetre of Rosie’s mouth. The passion that Jennie threw into her kiss trickled into Rosie and flowed from her lips to her warmth. 

 

“I can’t wait to make love to you in the Seychelles,” Rosie managed to breathe out, turning her head away from Jennie’s onslaught. 

 

The shorter girl didn’t respond with words, but replied with a nibble on the taller girl’s bottom lip, before deepening their kiss further, causing the blonde to arch her back to the tune of her moan. 

 

 

 

 

 

Tuesday morning, at Incheon International Airport, Rosie and Jennie, along with their families entered the main entrance with bags in tow. All of them were wearing masks to hide their identities, as instructed by the two famous girls, who both wore the addition of sunglasses, hiding even more of their faces. They wanted to make their holiday as super-secret as possible, and departing from South Korea’s largest airport was the most difficult part of the trip. They knew how famous they were, and knew that they would be instantly recognised if they had bare faces. 

 

The two girls walked side by side, pulling their luggage with them, surrounded by their family members who acted like their security team. Rosie’s dad took the role of head of security, and walked ahead of them, creating a safe path to walk through. Rosie’s mother walked next to the blonde and Jennie’s mum walked next to the brunette, with Alice at the back. 

 

They cautiously but confidently walked through the airport, trying their best to look like normal people. As they arrived at the check-in counter for their flight, they were happy to see that only a handful of other people were checking in this early. They knew that it was better to check in early so that there would be fewer people and less chance of being spotted. 

 

Rose and Jennie and their families walked up to the first-class check-in counter. Rosie’s father took all of their passports and handed them to the check-in clerk, who began opening them one by one. 

 

“I need to see your face, sir,” the clerk announced to Rosie’s father. “Please lower your mask.” Mason, Rosie’s father, lowered his mask, and the clerk smiled in satisfaction and began processing his passport. 

 

Rosie and Jennie looked at each other, and even though they both wore sunglasses and masks, they knew what the other was thinking. We have to show our faces to the clerk. A renewed fear of being recognised by someone at the airport rekindled. They knew that the check-in clerk would know who they were. She had to since she checked their passports. The girls hoped that the clerk would keep a level of professionalism and confidentiality, which most of them did. 

 

It was time for Rosie to go to the counter. 

 

“I need to see your face, miss. Please take off your shades and lower your mask.” The blonde nodded and quickly but cautiously took off her sunglasses and lowered her mask, giving the clerk a few seconds to match her face with the picture in her passport. 

 

“Thank you, miss,” and then Rosie threw them back on her face quicker than a match catches fire. She then moved to the side to allow Jennie access to the counter. 

 

“Please take off your shades and lower your mask,” the clerk repeated. 

 

Jennie pulled her glasses off and lowered her mask as asked, and then, shorter than a heartbeat, shoved them back on her face. 

 

“Excuse me miss, that wasn’t long enough. Please show me your face again,” the clerk innocently requested, just trying to do her job. But to Jennie, she was interrogating her. She didn’t want to remove them again. She started panicking. Her palms started to sweat. Her breathing intensified. She raised her hand in search of Rosie’s, in search of her girlfriend’s physical support. 

 

The blonde took Jennie’s searching hand and then looked over Jennie to see a man checking in at the next counter. He glanced at them, and Rosie thought she saw suspicion in his eyes. Beneath her sunshades and mask, she maintained a peripheral focus on him, angling her head away from him, but keeping him in sight, but making it appear that she was looking at something else. 

 

Another glance. Rosie’s suspicions grew. Jennie still hadn’t removed her facewear for the second time, but her left hand was reaching for her shades and her right hand left Rosie’s and headed for her mask. 

 

Another glance. Rosie furrowed her brows, wondering if he knew something or was just checking them out. 

 

Jennie removed her shades and pulled down her mask and counted to five in her head. Surely enough time for the clerk to match her face with her picture. 

 

Another glance. But this time it was different. His eyes widened and his mouth opened. Rosie’s heart started to race and her palms started to sweat as she tried her best to keep her gaze away from the prying man. 

 

Five. Jennie threw her mask and sunglasses back on and breathed a sigh of relief that her identity was covered again, not knowing that her girlfriend was slightly panicking at the man’s reaction to seeing her bare face. 

 

The brunette turned to the blonde and took her hand, and found her girlfriend in a daze, unresponsive to her touch as she held her hand. 

 

“Rosie, are you okay?”

 

The blonde blinked and shook her head out of her daydream and turned to the shorter girl. “Y-yeah, I’m fine. Just thinking about all of the things we’re gonna do on holiday.” she lied. Jennie knew but didn’t push it. She guessed that they were both anxious and both just wanted to hide away in the first-class lounge. 

 

“Let’s go,” the blonde said, pulling the brunette with her, after seeing her father collect their passports and boarding passes. 

 

 

 

As Jennie and Rosie and their families headed away, the man, who had finished checking in, slowly followed them. He walked behind them for a few seconds, trying to figure out who Jennie was with. He then stopped and took out his smartphone and opened WhatsApp. While keeping his body pointed at Jennie's group, he started typing. 

 

OMG! I just saw Jennie from Blackpink checking in for a flight with her family. I'm pretty sure she's also with Rosé!

 

He looked up and tried to find Jennie and the others. He caught a glimpse of them as they disappeared around a corner, heading for security check. His phone vibrated.

 

WOW! Please tell me you got pictures?!!! Do you know where they're going?

 

The man screwed up his mouth, annoyed with himself for not getting pictures. 

 

No pictures. I didn't' have enough time. They're all covered up anyway. But I know it's them, definitely! 

 

The man tapped his foot waiting for a reply. Seconds later he got one. 

 

Without pictures or a destination, I don't have a story.

 

The man thought for a second and then started walking the same way that Jennie, Rosie, and their families went. 

 

Okay. I'll try.