love persevering

the amazing adventures of spider-yooh
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

NOTE: THIS IS AN AU FROM THIS AU! enjoy :D

 

~

 

“Ooo, my baby looks so good in her suit!”

 

Yoohyeon blushes a soft red, shifts uncomfortably with the velvet sleeves of her red wine blazer, French tucks the satin of her black button up into her black slacks.

 

(One would think that trapezing around in a skin-tight suit would be more uncomfortable than one that is luxuriously made and not as merciless on her form. But, Yoohyeon supposes, she does spend more of her time swinging around New York in a suit that really…accentuates…her lean and fit body more than she does all dressed up in fancy suits or dresses).

 

“I think this single outfit is worth at least two months of groceries and take-out.”

 

Bora smiles, fastens the top button of her shirt, hiding the red design of Yoohyeon’s Spidey suit behind black satin. “You act as if what you have underneath isn’t at least three years’ worth of groceries and take-out, Yoohyeonnie.”

 

Sheepish when she grins, Yoohyeon leans down to affectionately rest her forehead on her girlfriend’s. (There’s a silent but powerful solace, like having Bora so close to her quiets all the voices and thoughts running amuck in her mind). Bora’s right: nanotechnology isn’t cheap. Especially nanotechnology with an AI that talks back to her and entertains her silly jokes while helping her with her Spiderwoman duties.

 

Taking, perhaps, her millionth look at her girlfriend, Yoohyeon feels her heart trip over in excitement, its beating eager to tell Bora how it calls for her, how she loves what she sees, “Have I told you how beautiful you look yet?”

 

Dressed in a pastel pink double-ed suit, satin lapels leading towards the pale valley of her sternum, twinkling diamonds resting regally on her neck, Bora stands taller (still not as tall as Yoohyeon or Minji) in her white heels, her hair in loose waves.

 

(She has. Many times. But she knows Bora likes hearing it).

 

Bora smirks, playful eyes twinkling when they look up at Yoohyeon, “Mmm...I don’t think so.”

 

Reflecting her teasing smile with an airy laugh, Yoohyeon softly holds Bora’s chin between her fingers, gently grazes her nose across her cheek, barely ghosts her lips along Bora’s. (When Bora’s eyes subconsciously close and she leans in to gravitate towards her touch like a magnet, Yoohyeon pulls away—enough that Bora has to hold tighter onto her waist to keep Yoohyeon close). 

 

Voice low and sweet, Yoohyeon’s lips form a small smirk when Bora’s chest heaves, her cheeks flushed. Smoothing out the lapels of Bora’s blazer, Yoohyeon nuzzles into her neck, traces her nose along the column of it before quietly lilting by her ear, “You look so y, baby. No one’s gonna know who to look at between you and Minji. And I wish I could just put this suit on the floor and you on the bed right now but, there’s-”

 

“I’m ready!”

 

Yanking them both out of their bubble, Minji stands in the middle of the room in a pastel pink, form-fitting, floor length gown, small, V-shaped cut outs at her obliques, the leg slit of the dress giving way to the pale skin of her thigh.

 

She’s jaw-dropping.

 

(No, literally. Bora and Yoohyeon stare with such open wonder, their mouths gaping and eyes slowly tracing up and down her body).

 

(Yoohyeon thinks that Minji doesn’t need a grand staircase and castle or an extravagant crown for her to be seen as a royalty, not when she looks so ravishing—even in their apartment studio in the middle of dirty, grungy New York).

 

Minji’s eyes glimmer with this knowing look, a confident up-turn of her lips. 

 

(Yoohyeon is all too aware of what it means. She supposes it’s only natural for Minji to feel confident when her two girlfriends are looking at her like Aphrodite herself forfeited her throne for her). 

 

Minji saunters over and closes their mouths by lightly pushing up at their jaws with her pointer and middle fingers. With the hooded look in Minji’s eyes, Yoohyeon feels her girlfriend’s desire in her laden gaze—the desire to kiss them almost overwhelming her.

 

(Yoohyeon can’t blame her. Her girlfriends just look so alluring—so tantalizing—and if it weren’t for their lipstick, she would already be pulling one of them closer and pressing her lips against theirs, turning to kiss the other because every kiss feels incomplete without it).

 

But it seems like Minji settles for sensually kissing the palms of their hands when she settles her gaze on the beautiful browns of their entranced eyes, shimmers of sticky lip-gloss faint on their skin, catching the light in their apartment. 

 

(This only makes everything so much harder, makes Yoohyeon wish they could cancel their evening plans just to spend their time tangled up in each other).

 

Smiling brightly as if Minji did not set fire to the warmth in their bellies and she is innocent of being the reason for their darkening eyes and racing hearts, her hands find theirs, “My two beautiful, handsome loves, are we ready to kiss so much tonight?”

 

Bora groans—long and exasperated. (As much as she loves to see her girlfriends all dressed up, stunning and so absolutely magnificent, she hates that they have to entertain the likes of too many men for the sake of humanity). 

 

Affectionately caressing her cheek, Minji pouts in sympathy, ‘I know, these galas . And I hate all the fake sincerity and business too, but it is what it is.”

 

(Bi-annually, Minji’s company holds galas where rich investors and sponsors come to feel generous in their pompous opulence. Cancer research requires a hefty amount of money and as much as Minji hates playing nice and faking laughter with people who are definitely objectifying her and her girlfriends, she does it to give herself and her team every opportunity possible to change the world. cancer is the second leading cause for death and it has always been her passion in life to find a cure for it—some kind of treatment, any kind of way to lessen its devastating impact).

 

Sighing with finality and nodding in agreement, Bora just holds the hand gently cradling her cheek. “It’ll all be worth it in the end. Men just...make me feel icky.”

 

Minji laughs at that, breezily, a certain weight lifting off her shoulders, “Me too, baby. Just think of it like a game, you know? Just how much can we get from them by targeting their loneliness and deprivation of feminine company?”

 

Unable to stop her amusement, Yoohyeon barks out a high-pitched laugh at that and it’s like Minji and Bora’s disgruntlement vanishes—their smiles growing with a tangible fondness, their gazes on her shining with a love that glows. Getting the notification that their driver is nearby, Yoohyeon takes the hand that Minji holds out for her and Bora to take.

 

As her fingers lace with hers, she feels strong with them by her side. A memory runs through her mind every time they leave for these ridiculous events—a memory that makes these galas a little more fun, a little more enjoyable. 

 

Yoohyeon, on her left, jokes with a teasing sound in her voice, Bora on her right. “They let you in with these guns?”

 

Minji arches an eyebrow.

 

“Are you calling yourself and Bora the guns?”

 

Yoohyeon just rolls her eyes, shakes her head like it’s obvious. Poking at her exposed biceps, Yoohyeon’s smile is playful and sweet, like she knows Minji needs to laugh and to feel at ease about the night ahead of her, “Nah, I’m talking about these! I think you and Cap would have a thrilling log-chopping contest!” I think you'd win.

 

(And whether it’s because she’s so wound up or life is just treating her harder than usual, Minji chortles a loud and joyous laugh at her silly joke—a laugh so genuine that her head tilts back and her eyebrows knit together in a V-shape).

 

It’s earnest and proud. Yoohyeon is always looking for ways to make Minji feel lighter—to bring happiness into her life because Minji deserves to know what it feels like to smile, to laugh, so hard that her heart sings with jubilee. 

 

It wasn’t too long ago that Minji confided in them. In the tranquility of the night, Bora snuggled into her embrace and Yoohyeon’s arms slung over her shoulder, her nose nuzzled into her back. She had told them that it's much better now that Bora and she are there with her to weather the criticizing eyes and doubtful judgments. 

 

(Before, when it was just Minji at these galas, she lamented that she’d leave feeling used and defeated, disgusted that she has to sell some part of her soul just to do what she loves. It wasn’t easy for Minji, accepting that her beauty and charm are the major reasons for any investments or sponsorships she gets. Her merit is lost—all her hard work, her raging passion and extensive knowledge, her drive and accomplishments as a scientist, just, gone. But that doesn’t stop her from pushing, doesn’t stop her from being brave with her heart and talking about what matters most to her even if the whole room couldn’t care less). 

 

Yoohyeon lives with the honor, the privilege, to be there for her in tandem with Bora. They are Minji’s relief and buffer between all the polite formality and empty complimenting—gladly and willingly. 

 

They are, in every way, Minji’s strength when she needs it—her breath of fresh air, her moments of peace when everything feels so heavy and impossible.

 

(Minji has told them before, vulnerably brave, that life would be more miserable, these galas simply unbearable, has told them that her motivation would be lost somewhere in her lab and all the disappointing results—piles and piles and piles of failure after failure).

 

The gala is a glittering and glimmering affair, the room a beautiful affair. Yet, it pales in comparison when Minji glides in, Bora and Yoohyeon’s arms looped through hers.

 

(Yoohyeon thinks the whole room takes a moment to stare and realize that two angels have arrived. Yoohyeon just feels so lucky to be part of their celestial glow). 

 

It doesn’t take long for them to settle in with the guests, Minji and Bora needing a flute of champagne (or two) to chase away the bitterness and disgust of being pulled into meaningless conversation and feeling displayed. 

 

It’s hard, pretending she doesn’t want to go home and cuddle with Minji and Bora—preferably after rolling about in bed and showing them exactly how much she wants them. But Yoohyeon it up and does her best trying to impress some snooty and overly confident entrepreneur. (It seems to be going well—he looks like he’d be willing to write a check the moment Minji asks). Bowing politely to him when the conversation ends, Yoohyeon glances around the room trying to find her girlfriends. 

 

Bora is by the bar, a charming smile situated on her lips, as she schmoozes. Even if she is across the room, her beguiling grin still shines so bright. 

 

(Judging by Minji’s information, her recollection tells Yoohyeon that she is entertaining the likes of an influential man in the medicine industry). 

 

Yoohyeon hears Minji before she sees her. Finding Minji not too far ahead of her, Yoohyeon’s breath catches in . She looks so beautiful, her smile polite and saccharine sweet. But Yoohyeon catches the muted exhaustion clouding the radiance in her eyes—she’s positive that out of everyone in the room, only she and Bora would be able to see the toll of the night on her. Feeling like Minji’s shoulders only hunch more and more as the conversation goes, Yoohyeon makes her way over to act as some kind of lifeguard jacket to keep her afloat. Looking at Yoohyeon like she is the boat to take her stranded and weary body drowning at sea back to safety when she arrives, Minji welcomes Yoohyeon into the conversation with brighter eyes and that brilliant smile that she saves for her and Bora. 

 

Minji’s hand rests on the small of her back, silently and subconsciously seeking for her comfort. (It makes Yoohyeon feel so proud. Not just Minji finding safety in her. But her hand on her back makes Yoohyeon feel like she is good enough to be a part of her, good enough to be in Minji’s life, to be in her effervescent presence).

 

“Ah, Miss Kim, pleasure to meet you!”

 

Yoohyeon warmly shakes the man’s hand, musters all her effort to be on her best behavior. “Mr. Kang, I’ve read a lot on you. Congratulations on your recent acquisition of Medi-surance!”

 

The man smirks with cocky pride, happy to hear about his achievement. 

 

(Yoohyeon doesn’t notice the flash of astonished shock in Minji’s eyes when she turns towards her. It’s not that Minji expects the bare minimum from her girlfriends but Yoohyeon is always going out of her way to go above and beyond, to do her research on the guests that come to the gala—always doing what she can to impress them in Minji’s name).

 

The man holds Yoohyeon’s hand longer than she (and Minji) would like but Yoohyeon’s resilience is admirable as she bears the awkward handshake. When he speaks, there is an air of superiority, a biting and condescending snap in his voice, “Now, what is the likes of you doing at a gala like this?”

 

(Clearly, the guests can’t say the same about doing their research).

 

It’s not that Yoohyeon would need to be Minji’s plus one (technically plus two) to be invited. Being involved in the bioengineering field secured her invitation, but it helps that Minji always makes sure that her name is on the list of attendees.

 

“I’m a biomedical engineer, sir. I suppose Doctor Kim’s company sees fit that I belong.”

 

The man’s eyebrows shoot up, as if surprised that a woman is capable of such feats. 

 

(Yoohyeon hates being subjected to such blatant ism. Mostly because she knows Minji and Bora see it too in their own interactions).

 

Like Minji senses Yoohyeon’s discomfort, she politely interjects, “I was just telling Mr. Kang about our team’s research and breakthroughs.”

 

Before he can reply, probably with an offensive remark about the lack of results in her studies, Yoohyeon smoothly beats him to the response, “Ah, yes! Doctor Kim is spearheading her research team and I know the results are inconclusive, as of now, but science is closer to finding a cure for cancer, more than ever before!”

 

Yoohyeon loves talking about Minji. Anything about her. Her smile, how her hair falls, what hair dye looks best on her (the answer: all), her adorable mannerisms, how she loves so wholeheartedly and selflessly. So, Yoohyeon naturally loves talking about Minji’s passion and love for what she does. If anything, talking about her girlfriend’s drive and intellect barely beats out talking about that goofy and deep laugh she does sometimes. (And Yoohyeon loves that laugh). So, if she sounds proud, it’s because she is. Swelling in her chest like a balloon, the admiration Yoohyeon has for her girlfriend aches to be heard, aches to be seen.

 

Effectively shutting down his response, Yoohyeon continues, “I wish everyone could see the progress Doctor Kim has made. Figuring out a cure for cancer isn’t easy and it takes so many trials. I hope that when the future comes, people don’t have to fear death as much as they do now when there is a cure for it.”

 

Looking less hesitant now about the prospect about investing, the man regards them with an inch more of respect than he did before, “Hmm...I suppose you are right. I will be in touch with your company, Doctor Kim.”

 

Watching as he walks away, Yoohyeon smiles triumphantly, happy that there is a prospect for Minji to look forward to in her work.

 

Minji’s hand slides its way to her waist, her fingers gently curling around her.

 

Leaning in so that she doesn’t have to shout and doing what she can to have some privacy in her conversation, Minji’s nose just barely grazes along Yoohyeon’s temple, “You know you don’t have to call me Doctor Kim, Yoohyeonnie.”

 

Yoohyeon shrugs, gingerly plays with the fingers on her waist as they make their way towards Bora, “I know but this is a professional space. And even if we’re out and don’t necessarily hide, there’s a time and place for our relationship.” To prove her point, Yoohyeon loosely laces their fingers together, very briefly nuzzles into the softness of Minji’s blonde hair that is in light waves, “It felt like he’d take advantage of you if he knew about us and I don’t want his focus being on Bora and me. This is a “you” night, Ji. Bora and I are just here to look pretty and brag about your accomplishments.”

 

Minji looks at Yoohyeon like she might’ve hung the stars and moon in the sky, like the planets should revolve around her. Yoohyeon, despite all her clumsiness, is incredibly deft and thoughtful when she needs to be. Always, when it comes to Minji or Bora, Yoohyeon handles them and their love and their relationship with such fragile and delicate care—like should she fumble and hurt them, the world will just shatter into meaningless pieces of unrecoverable matter. 

 

(To some extent, it’s true. If Yoohyeon ever really hurt her two loves, she thinks she’d have to have a very serious conversation with herself to figure out the best way to rectify her mistake and never make it again).

 

Pulling Yoohyeon close and whispering into her ear, Minji battles the desire growing in her, her voice loving, “Yooh, if we weren’t in front of so many people right now, I’d kiss you so hard.”

 

Yoohyeon just smirks, nods towards the bathroom with a suggestive raise in her eyebrows. Her playful flirting pries a bright laugh from Minji’s lips, the weight on her shoulders easing away. 

 

(That doesn’t stop Minji from squeezing her waist and adding, “If we’re doing that, we’re bringing Bora too.” 

 

Yoohyeon can’t help but to laugh too, knows that it makes Minji feel proud to be the one to make someone so beautiful to laugh).

 

Approaching their girlfriend, Bora seems to be taking a moment of relief as she sits alone at the bar, swirling the straw in her cocktail. Beaming when she makes out Minji and Yoohyeon’s bodies coming closer, she feels revitalized and renewed after her energy was sapped away by the men who approached her. 

 

(At this point, Bora is an expert at spinning the conversation towards Minji and her purpose and ignoring any flirting or ual advances—which, by the way, gross). 

 

Once they are close enough, Bora holds her hands out for them. “Do you know how tempting it is to be right in front of an open bar and not order enough shots to make all of this bearable?”

 

Minji laughs, affectionately runs a hand through Bora’s hair. “Knowing you, it must be worse than when Yooh is exercising in front of us and you’re banned from being her weight.”

 

Bora just whines, tugs Yoohyeon close to wrap an arm around her waist, “She is so hot when she’s working out; I can’t help but to kiss!”

 

(Yoohyeon flushes, a dusting of light pink blooming on her cheeks as she smiles shyly and leans and hides her face in the curtain of Bora’s hair).

 

While Minji lingers for a little longer, it’s like all her pretenses fall away, her smile genuine and carefree. Happy to entertain her and provide a haven for her away from all the business of the gala, Bora and Yoohyeon earnestly try to keep that wondrous smile on Minji’s lips until she gets a notification on her phone. Checking it, Minji deflates, her relaxed shoulders becoming tight and locked. 

 

“Hang in there for a little longer? I think we’re almost done. I just have to talk to one more major investor and we can go home and cuddle.” Kissing their cheeks before leaving, Minji takes a breath to steel herself, to find her resilience once more.

 

Minji, as fantastic a scientist she is, is a beautiful conversationalist. She can sweep anyone away, her smile enchanting, her eyes warm and welcoming. Even from across the room, Bora and Yoohyeon watch as the investor becomes putty in her hands, his eyes following her when she leaves. The closer Minji gets, the more her facade drops, the burden of the night dropping heavily onto her shoulders. 

 

Yoohyeon doesn’t need to be a genius to know that Minji is in need of some peace and privacy, some alone time with just her and the two people she loves, a generous raining of affection and soft words from them. Taking a glance at Bora and the concerned frown her brows make, Yoohyeon knows that Bora sees it too. And when Bora worriedly looks back at Yoohyeon, the rest of the evening plans are made.

 

(Plans being cheer Minji up).

 

It only takes a look.

 

(But, of course, it is so much more than a look. It’s years of communication and disclosure, vulnerability and strength, breaking down and being built back up. And being a superhero has put Yoohyeon in extreme situations—situations where thinking is terribly difficult and all that is left behind is instinct. Extreme situations that drag the people she loves into her mess, drowning them in all her chaos. Situations where Yoohyeon is bleeding out and broken and dependent on Bora to get her to survive the night, situations where Minji has to drop everything she’s doing just to talk her through a vicious anxiety attack.

 

And for so long, Yoohyeon felt a biting guilt that ate through her—doubt that affirmed her burdensome presence—for giving Minji and Bora her superhero-sized trauma and violence. 

 

But, for so many years, Minji and Bora have done everything they can to show that Yoohyeon’s superhero-sized problems are nothing but specks of dust compared to the size of her golden heart. Hero or not, they try to show that Yoohyeon is everything that she is on her own—that without her heart, her powers are nothing, that they are only as good as she is. And because Yoohyeon is so ing good, her abilities and her intentions are always so pure.

 

Yoohyeon has tried playing martyr with them, distancing herself to save them from her issues. That only led to breaking their hearts.

 

Yoohyeon would hate to do that again. If she is everything that Minji and Bora need, she’d rather watch the world burn before giving them up again).

 

-

 

Yoohyeon has never been a fan of riding horses.

 

Rhino is no horse (for God’s sake, he’s human) but, hell, it feels like riding one as he charges and terrorizes the streets of New York in an effort of throwing Yoohyeon off of him. With her web slung around him, Yoohyeon does her best to steer him away from any citizens. 

 

(It’s not like cars are fair game, but New York is a bustling place and space is scarce. Yoohyeon just hopes that drivers will become aware of the commotion the Russian thug makes as he tramples through the city, hopes that the screaming and running will be enough to alert those on the road to vacate their cars).

 

Yoohyeon thinks that Pie would make a marvelous voice for GPA systems when she informs, “Yoohyeon, there is a construction site on 25th.”

 

Sharply veering to the left, Yoohyeon nearly tumbles off of Rhino when he thrashes and skids, his weight unable to maneuver around the sharp turn.

 

Tightening her grip on her webs, Yoohyeon knows she’s going to have to get to the construction site as soon as she possibly can—her webs can’t withstand this much pull without snapping; it had to have been a good four blocks of riding on Rhino’s back and trying to control him and avoiding civilian endangerment. 

 

(Normally, Yoohyeon would be making playful comment after comment, having fun with the city’s terrorizers but, Rhino is a big, volatile, sharp and pointy, polymer mass and pissing him off more than she already has isn’t the tactic to play).

 

Seeing the construction site coming up, she slings a shot up to one of the metal containers. As Rhino grunts angrily and charges towards her, Yoohyeon takes a quick scan of her environment.

 

She can’t beat him in a game of strength, no, Rhino is capable of chucking her across the site if he wanted to. (Behind killing her, that might be second on his list). Knowing that speed will be her advantage, Yoohyeon crafts up a plan.

 

Mayor Park isn’t going to be happy with her.

 

“Pie, how much does a crane weigh?”

 

Jumping from the metal container and using her agility to dodge his gunfire, Yoohyeon watches as a bullet nearly grazes her abdomen, her Spidey sense enhancing her awareness.

 

“According to my calculations, a standard crane can weigh up to 350 tons.”

 

Using a metal sheet to ward off a missile, Yoohyeon hopes that it doesn’t fling off into the building that looks to be almost complete—she’d hate to demolish all the work that was done.

 

‘Sweet! Let’s hope that 350 tons will be enough then!” 

 

Grunting as she slings her way towards him, Yoohyeon knows that the only way of doing this is using Rhino’s own strength against him. It’s all chaotic, dodging gunfire and a pointy horn that getting slugged across the site with a mighty punch is inevitable. Shaking off her disorientation, the hero fearlessly shoots a few webs at Rhino’s face armor, hoping to disrupt his vision. Whooping when she succeeds, she slings herself back up onto his back, ramming him into the crane. It creaks with a loud sound, but it merely vibrates in its place.

 

When Rhino throws her off of him again, Yoohyeon slings a few cinder blocks towards his head, advancing as soon as his face whips to the side. Getting back on top of him, she rams him into the crane again. Slightly winded by the exertion, Yoohyeon’s voice strains, “Pie! How mad do you think Mayor Park is gonna be?”

 

It only takes Pie a millisecond to reply, “She will be very mad, Yoohyeon.”

 

Tumbling off and skidding in the dirt for a second when Rhino throws her off again, Yoohyeon uses the momentum of her legs to roll back onto her feet. Finding a metal beam carefully placed against a metal container, she heaves it towards him, the smacking of the beam making a resounding pang against his armor. Taking advantage of his stunned state, Yoohyeon webs up his face and rams him into the crane again. 

 

“No, like, on a scale, one to ten, how mad?”

 

“At least eleven.”

 

When Rhino wipes away at her webbing and bucks her off of him, Yoohyeon crashes into a metal container, her body slamming against it. Groaning in pain, Pie’s voice comes through, “Yoohyeon, it doesn’t look like this is working.”

 

Barely catching Rhino’s charging body in her peripheral, Yoohyeon is only able to evade the horn that is fully intending on impaling her. His armor knocks right into her stomach—the bruise is going to be a nasty color, the ramming impact eliciting a deep ache at her ribs.

 

(Yoohyeon wonders if it’ll be piss yellow or ube purple. She hopes it’ll be ube purple. Minji likes kissing her injuries or playfully biting her skin, her lips covering her teeth as she mocks nibbling. It’s just better off if her bruise is the color of food than anything else).

 

“Yeah, I figured. New idea, Pie! And Mayor Park will only be a little bit mad at me!”

 

Ducking under his arms and slinging towards a metal pipe that hangs, Yoohyeon waits for him to charge after her. When the positioning is right, she yanks the pipe down with her webs, the heavy metal collapsing over his head. Taking advantage of Rhino’s stupor and landing some hits on him, he falters under her barrage of attacks. Once he gains back his senses, Yoohyeon darts off to another metal container, yanking the doors open with the aid of her webs. 

 

Before she can sling away to another metal pipe on the other side of the site, Rhino is able to heave a weighty container at her, shaking her orientation. As she fights through the slight buzz, Rhino lands a devastating hit on her body, tossing her up like a rag doll before throwing her through a glass pane. (The sharp edges of the glass snag on her suit, its cutting sharpness digging stinging lacerations into her skin). 

 

“Yoohyeon, your suit has sustained some damage.”

 

Wincing when she shakes herself off and groans, Yoohyeon is only able to sling herself up to a light post to give herself a second to breathe and get the world right-side up, “I know; I feel it. Bora isn’t gonna be happy about it. I told her I’d try to come home without a scratch and now I’ve got gashes.”

 

Pie simply responds, “Bora will be more worried than mad.”

 

Taking advantage of being positioned behind Rhino, Yoohyeon swings towards him, straightening out her legs at impact to slam a strong kick against his back. 

 

“That’s even worse! I don’t like it when she has to worry!”

 

Getting herself back on Rhino and steering towards the metal pipe adjacent to him, as Yoohyeon dismounts, she shoots two webs at the pipe and lets her momentum bring it down with her weight. 

 

In the distance, Yoohyeon hears the sound of sirens, hopes that they’re coming for Rhino so that she can hastily evacuate the scene. If she hurries, she can still catch dinner. (Minji finally chose to make something that isn’t malatang and that’s exciting news all on its own).

 

Making quick work of agitating him and leading him to the open container like an angry bull, Yoohyeon rolls out of the way, the force of his charge hinging the doors to a close. Securely webbing the doors up and making sure that they won’t budge, Yoohyeon watches as S.H.I.E.L.D. agents take care of the thug from a skyscraper next to the site. 

 

Leaving with the knowledge that the worst is over, Yoohyeon only feels the brunt of the pain of her injuries when she lifts the windowsill of their apartment. Ungracefully tumbling in, Yoohyeon is a tired starfish on their floor when she wearily pulls her mask off and taps at the middle of her chest to loosen the slack on her suit. 

 

(Yoohyeon has come home in much worse shape, sometimes on the edge of passing out, sometimes needing a shoulder popped back in. So, by comparison, a couple of nasty cuts and bruises aren’t horrible but Yoohyeon really wishes her girlfriends wouldn’t have to go through the worry and haste of patching her up. 

 

It’s not that she feels guilty about it, it’s just that Minji and Bora don’t deserve to play nurse every time she comes back from her hero duties. No matter how they tell her they don’t mind, Yoohyeon doesn’t like being a burden.

 

(Okay, so maybe it is guilt—she has a chronic hero complex; it’s only natural that its best friend, the guilt complex, comes along too). 

 

But, while guilt makes a home in her gut, she cannot deny that this is where she feels safest—with Minji and Bora. There is no other place for her where she can crumble and be weak and vulnerable without feeling like she is being entirely selfish. They make it so that caring for her is their desire, that being her crutch is their honor. 

 

They make her feel like she can be human—flawed and broken, but still, beautiful and whole in her own magnificent, fragmented way. 

 

And plus, all Yoohyeon wants is to fulfill everything that Minji and Bora need. So, if coming home injured and bleeding and allowing for herself to be cared for is one way, so be it).

 

While Minji does her best to finish cooking without getting distracted, Bora goes through the process of cleaning each of her injuries and patching them up. (Although, it’s extremely hard for her to focus when Yoohyeon is wincing and whining in pain on their couch where Bora carefully moved her to take care of her). 

 

Relaxing with anesthesia cream on her cuts and painkillers to help with the bruising and pounding headache, Yoohyeon rests on the couch, her head on Bora’s lap while Minji cooks. 

 

“Your stitchwork is so nice, babe.”

 

Bora smiles, amusement in her eyes, the nagging of her panic and worry at a whisper after seeing the goofy grin on Yoohyeon’s lips. Leaning down and folding over to softly kiss her, Bora feels any lingering anxiety melt away. “I’d hope so! I kinda do it for a living, Yooh.”

 

Yoohyeon lovingly takes the hand in hers and presses the back of it to her lips. The awe in her voice is tangible, the admiration she feels shining vibrantly, “You’re so good at what you do, can you teach me?”

 

Tracing her finger lightly along the slope of Yoohyeon’s nose and imprinting every lovable detail to each crevice of her mind, Bora feels the love in her heart bubbling, growing, for the selfless woman in her lap. “Right now?”

 

Yoohyeon hums, her tummy grumbling when she smells the fragrant scent of ramen wafting from the kitchen. 

 

“Maybe after dinner?”

 

Bora nods happily, kisses Yoohyeon’s forehead affectionately as she runs her fingers through her hair. 

 

It’s serene lazing around with Bora. It only gets better when Minji finishes cooking and approaches them, kneeling down on the floor to be level with Yoohyeon. Pouting as she looks at the cuts on Yoohyeon’s cheek and nose, Minji just leans forward to press kisses next to them before sweetly sliding hers between Yoohyeon’s. Sighing into the kiss, Yoohyeon’s hand buries itself in Minji’s hair, finally feeling complete. 

 

Minji’s nose nuzzles against her, a relieved smile on her lips, “I’ll kiss all your injuries later but food’s ready, my loves.”

 

After eating and doing what she can to clean up, Yoohyeon’s tongue peeks out in concentration as her eyebrows furrow together. Minji’s head rests on Yoohyeon’s shoulder as she watches how her girlfriend works on stitching up one of her Rilakkuma plushies that Bora cut through.

 

(With Bora’s patient and repetitive instruction, Yoohyeon has managed to messily and clumsily stitch up one of Minji’s bears twice).

 

Fondness in her gaze when she looks up at Yoohyeon, a loving smile sits on Minji’s lips, “Is this gonna be a successful surgery, doctor?”

 

It takes a moment for Yoohyeon to respond, her focus entirely dialed on stitching as neatly as possible. Finishing up, Yoohyeon’s work is far from perfect but it does the job. Wiping her brow in dramatics, Yoohyeon kisses the top of Minji’s head, “He’ll live, ma’am.”

 

Minji giggles, Bora leans over to leave a proud and congratulatory kiss on Yoohyeon’s lips.

 

(As much as Minji loves her Rilakkuma plushie, she loves it a whole lot more when she looks at Yoohyeon’s stitchwork—it just might be her new favorite).

 

It only takes another week for Yoohyeon to come back after her Spidey duties needing stitches. This time, she stopped some gang fights, but not without sustaining some damage. It’s late and the floor creaks as she walks. Being more careful with her steps and hoping that the kitchen light doesn’t leak under their bedroom door, Yoohyeon searches for the first aid kit that Bora has since left outside. Finding it by the TV, Yoohyeon grits her teeth while disinfecting her gashes, doing everything she can to keep quiet. With her mask on their kitchen table and her suit left on the floor, Yoohyeon sits by it to stitch up a deep laceration by her hip, the kitchen towel clenched in between her teeth as she works. 

 

Despite the pain she is in, the only sounds she makes are the heavy breaths she takes as she stitches the needle and thread through her skin. Even without anesthesia cream, her stitching is neat and clean—almost as good as Bora’s—and it makes her feel proud of herself. All she can think of is Bora teaching her how to stitch and that patient smile and her proud eyes while she patches up the cut on her thigh, feels so grateful to have someone like Bora by her side. 

 

(When Bora wakes up the next day, her night of fitful sleep is telling enough that Yoohyeon didn’t make it to their bed. Yet, as she steps out and into her slippers, she nearly trips over Yoohyeon’s arm that is splayed out on the floor, light snores leaving her nose. 

 

(It’s not that Yoohyeon enjoys sleeping on the floor. She just hates disrupting their sleep after the long and tiring days that they’ve had even if Minji and Bora are adamantly persistent about reassuring her. 

 

Yoohyeon is just more adamantly persistent about being painfully selfless).

 

Shaking her head with affectionate annoyance, Bora leans down to carefully pick Yoohyeon up, her eyebrows knitting together in worry when Yoohyeon’s shirt rides up and shows the cut by her hip. Cautiously laying her down on the bed, Bora is patient with her movement as she flips Yoohyeon’s shirt up. Besides the stitched-up laceration, there are little cuts littered around her stomach, bruises that haven’t healed yet from two nights ago accompanied with new ones from the night before. 

 

All Bora does is sigh heavily, wishes that the world could stop for a moment just so that Yoohyeon can have a moment to breathe—to have peace, to not get hurt saving a city that doesn’t deserve her).

 

When Yoohyeon wakes up, there are painkillers on the bedside table and food left on the stove for her. On the fridge, beside the heartwarming picture of Minji and Bora squishing their cheeks against Yoohyeon’s, notes from them are pinned under the Spiderwoman magnet and a subconscious smile tugs at her lips. 

 

Yoohyeonnie, 

 

Please sleep on the bed next time. Cold beds are the worst and ours was freezing without you :( 


 

 - Bboya

 

PS: good job on the stitching baby <3

 

PPS: I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

Her grin grows even larger when she reads Minji’s note beside it. 

 

My love,

 

I made some food for you when you wake up <3

 

Bora and I are gonna do some errands so you better rest and not push yourself >:( 


 

- Minji

 

PS: I’m gonna kiss alllllllllllll of your injuries when we get home :3

 

-

 

Yoohyeon isn’t aware but the papers in Minji’s hands tremble. That’s unusual for her. Normally, she is able to support her weight without a single shake. Frowning, Minji checks in on her. “Baby, am I too heavy?”

 

Yoohyeon, on her forearms and toes as she planks, doesn’t even sound winded, her voice crystal clear even if she faces the mat below her, “No, but my back is itchy.”

 

Running her hand across Yoohyeon’s back from where she sits cross-legged, Minji asks, “Where? Upper? Lower?” as she seeks out the irritation. 

 

Minji only stops when Yoohyeon abruptly interjects with a sharp inhale, “There.” A low moan escapes from her lips when Minji lightly scratches between her shoulder blades. (Minji has admitted, much to Yoohyeon’s shy embarrassment, that it’s beyond her how she can focus on her work considering how much she likes Yoohyeon’s muscles and how she can see the taut lines of them from where she usually sits). Voice sounding relieved when Yoohyeon thanks her, Minji just wipes the sweat at the back of Yoohyeon’s neck with her sleeve. Leaning down to leave a sweet kiss there, she grins proudly at how Yoohyeon’s body shivers underneath her, those goddamn irresistible muscles rippling. 

 

(Yoohyeon’s form is immaculate. Situated low and steady with her back straight and glutes squeezed, she doesn’t falter under the weight of being sat on—as if Minji is a feather resting on her back. Yet, for a woman so strong, something as little as kisses are enough for her arms to shake, her hips to dip. It does wonders for Minji’s confidence and self-esteem).

 

More stable now that her back is itch-free, Yoohyeon is able to seamlessly support her girlfriend while she reads her notebook.

 

“So, you’re telling me that you came up with most of this formula while you were bored at work?”

 

Yoohyeon quietly grunts as she reaches out her left arm and right leg, needing a challenge in her plank. Taking a moment to find her balance again, Yoohyeon replies, “I wanted to improve my webbing. It’s strong but I know it can be stronger. I’m just trying to figure out how.”

 

Minji hums as she looks over her notes.

 

It’s endlessly endearing to Yoohyeon how Minji decided to take up another venture of chemistry, as a hobby, just to better understand Yoohyeon and her webbing. As soon as Yoohyeon told her and Bora about her identity, Minji quickly got onto learning different chemical compounds and elements—not for any particular reason, just curious about what helps Yoohyeon accomplish such incredible feats. However, her extensive knowledge seems to be more beneficial than planned because something illusive sits at the front of her brain. 

 

From the list that Yoohyeon has written out, she has an array of chemicals and measurements written out, some question marks littered through her notes. “Have you tried making this yet, Yooh?”

 

Switching her hands and legs, Yoohyeon breathes deeply, keeping her abs contracted to achieve maximum effect. “Yeah, it’s in my bag.”

 

Gracefully getting off of her, Minji rifles through her bag while Yoohyeon alternates to diamond push-ups in the meantime. Finding the tube of web fluid, Minji attaches it to one of Yoohyeon’s web-shooters and wears it on her wrist. Experimentally aiming at one of Yoohyeon’s arms as she rests in a high plank, Yoohyeon’s reaction time is slow, her Spidey-sense asleep knowing that there is nothing to alert her of.

 

With the webbing stuck on her forearm, Yoohyeon looks up at Minji with playful suspicion in her eyes.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

Minji just smiles, mischief in her eyes when she tugs. As a high-pitched laugh bubbles past Yoohyeon’s lips when her hand slides out from under her and her form collapses, Minji’s laugh gleefully dances along with hers. Rolling over onto her back, Yoohyeon watches as her girlfriend approaches her to kneel beside her. Committing the love and exuberant shine in Minji’s smile to her heart, Yoohyeon feels tranquil happiness wash over her body, feels it as the tips of her toes tingle.

 

When Minji leans down to quickly kiss her, Yoohyeon’s hand rests on her nape, pulls her in for a deeper kiss when she tries to back away.

 

Minji’s voice is coy and light when she nuzzles her nose against hers, “It works.”

 

Yoohyeon laughs, drags Minji into a tight embrace, loves how she giggles into her neck. Playing with Minji’s hair, Yoohyeon hums a lighthearted sound, “I know it does, but I need it to pull a crazy amount of weight, Ji, and last time I checked, I barely registered 120 pounds.”

 

When Minji rises on her hands, she balances herself on one to fix Yoohyeon’s messy bangs with her other. With a sweet smile and loving eyes, Minji reassures her, “I’ll look at it some more. I’m sure we’ll figure it out, Yoohyeon-ah.” 

 

Enjoying the serenity of being so close to her girlfriend, Yoohyeon cards her hand through Minji’s hair, feels her heart grow behind her chest—the love it feels ballooning.

 

“You look so pretty, baby.”

 

Minji just flushes a light pink, a flattered smile on her lips, when she leans back down to press an amorous kiss against Yoohyeon’s.

 

Content to lay on the floor and give herself the pleasure of being lost in everything that is Minji, the unlocking of their door meets dead ears, Bora’s footsteps quiet and light since she took off her shoes by the doorway. With her hands on her hips and a playful pout on her lips, Bora whines out, “You started without me!”

 

As Bora drops her bag, Minji quickly rolls off before Bora can playfully push her off. 

 

“Me next! Me next!” 

 

With Minji’s help, Yoohyeon rises up to her feet. It only takes her opening her arms for Bora to scramble into them, her arms wrapped around her in a tight hug. Kissing her temple and basking in Bora’s presence, Yoohyeon feels like everything is complete, like everything is as it should be.

 

So, while Yoohyeon bends down to squat with Bora as her weight, Minji relaxes on the couch, Yoohyeon’s notes open, as she researches possible ways to improve her webbing fluid.

 

It doesn’t take too long for Yoohyeon to breathlessly plop Bora on the couch with flushed cheeks and a new blooming dark spot on her pulse point.

 

“Got distracted?”

 

Yoohyeon shyly nods, kisses Bora once more before heading to her squat rack in the corner of the room.

 

Before Yoohyeon lowers down to her bench press, her gaze lingers on her girlfriends: Bora’s content and cocky (yet, cute) smile while she rests her head on Minji’s shoulders, Minji and her wired circle-framed glasses focusing on her notes and her laptop. And as she bench presses an easy hundred pounds for warm up, the happy sounds of Bora raining her affection on Minji is like music to her ears.

 

(It sounds like Minji’s bright and carefree giggle, Bora’s happy and jubilant laughter. It’s heaven).

 

Only three days pass by when Minji excitedly calls her during her break, Yoohyeon hiding in the bathroom to take the call.

 

“Yooh! I figured it out!”

 

Yoohyeon blinks and pauses, wonders what she could be talking about.

 

“The ending for The Call?”

 

(They had watched the movie last night after dinner and the three of them went to sleep feeling extremely confused, left to mull about the ending).

 

When Minji talks, she speaks rapidly, her excitement tangible, “No no no, the web fluid! It’s strong, but it needs more stabilizers! Using BHA will stabilize the free radicals and purifying it with silica gel at the end will help it absorb moisture quicker. It’ll be extremely effective!” 

 

As she rambles, the grin on Yoohyeon’s lips is grand and irrevocably endeared. 

 

(There’s something so wonderful about Minji’s passion, about her desire to help Yoohyeon with her own endeavors. 

 

It’s just another way that Minji is taking care of her, another way that Yoohyeon is feeling unequivocally loved—like she is putting her interests first).

 

Minji is pure thrill and enthusiasm as she continues, “And if you wanna go crazy, Yooh, if you change your nylon webs into carbon nanotubes, the tensile strength will easily increase.”  

 

As if feeling radicalized, Yoohyeon quickly catches on, as equally thrilled, “Then I can bundle them together with high energy irradiation to improve strength and durability! God, Minji, you’re a ing genius! I love you so much!”

 

Even if Yoohyeon can’t see Minji, she can hear her smile through the phone, hear it in how she laughs and says, “I love you,” back.

 

This feeling that builds and builds—this love that just grows and grows—shines and shimmers and it makes Yoohyeon feel like she is special, like she is precious.

 

Not as the hero that she is, but as the woman that she is.

 

When Yoohyeon uses Minji’s webbing formula the next time she ventures out as Spiderwoman, the differences are subtle, her web solidifying a little more efficiently. It’s only when Pie notifies her of the A Train bulleting towards the 4, its brakes busted and broken, that Minji’s formula gets put to the test. 

 

Stopping a speeding subway is no Rhino but it’s still hard work. Swinging ahead of the track and crawling on the roof of the subway tunnel, she slings her webs to the rails of the train and yanks up at it, grunting as the industrial construction of the track fights against her force. Still, it’s noticeably easier pulling at it, her webs’ strength aiding her effort. 

 

As Yoohyeon swings to the back of the train, a bubbling pride simmers in her blood. Being Spiderwoman and using Minji’s formula to help her feels like carrying Minji with her in her adventures, feels even closer to her than before—like Minji is part of her. 

 

(And if Minji is part of her, there is nothing she can’t do).

 

“According to my calculations, the 4 Train is expected to arrive in sixty seconds.”

 

Zipping quickly, she bears her weight down. 

 

“Pie, the only experience I have is stopping a Ford Focus. Think I can do this?”

 

Shooting out two webs at the back of the subway, Yoohyeon nearly gets yanked with it, the sheer force and weight of its speed dragging her away from stability. 

 

“A subway train is approximately 82,000 pounds. A Ford Focus is 4,500 pounds at its heaviest. The probability is low, but I believe in you, Yoohyeon.”

 

“Thanks for the vote of confidence, Pie!” Grunting with exertion and digging her feet into the floor and grounding her weight down, the subway only slows the slightest bit. 

 

A subway train feels like hundreds of Ford Focus’s and it takes real effort to slow it down. As each second passes, the speed falters dramatically, the horns from the 4 Train sounding with urgency, Pie counting down the time. 

 

“30 seconds.”

 

Wracking her brain for another idea, it hits her like a truck. Briefly letting go of her webs, turning around and shooting her webs behind her, she hunkers down and pulls the opposite way, taking slow and heavy steps. 

 

Just like how she dragged Bora and Minji across the floor of our apartment on one of their bed sheets because they found it thrilling, Yoohyeon shouts with exertion as she pulls. 

 

If she had her webs from before, they’d have snapped by now, the speed of the train fleeting and quick. But Minji’s formula stands strong as she heaves and pulls. 

 

“10 seconds.”

 

Grunting and shouting once more to endure her weighty struggle, she digs into her motivation to heave a mighty haul forward. Feeling the subway halting to a stop, Yoohyeon collapses onto the floor from the change of motion, her body exhausted when she rolls over onto her back. 

 

The 4 Train passes by peacefully without a single scratch and looking at her web shooters, all Yoohyeon can think about is Minji—about the absolute hero that she is in her own genius—for had she not helped, Yoohyeon never would have been able to stop a moving force as vicious as a speeding train. 

 

As Yoohyeon swings her way to her favorite deli to pick up a sandwich, she sings Stop This Train to herself, thinks about how lucky she is to have someone as compassionate as Minji in her life. 

 

-

 

Ever since dating Minji and Bora, Yoohyeon’s cooking has improved dramatically. It helps that Bora is, like, one star away from hitting Michelin status and Minji seems to cook just as well, like the way her mother does did. 

 

So, whenever Minji has her exhausting days of entertaining her investors and sponsors, Yoohyeon will take up the mantle of cooking. Or, whenever Bora has a major operation, Yoohyeon will do her best to cook the best ing meal ever to cheer her on and another to congratulate her after her work.

 

Bora has a major surgery to lead the next day and the stress of it has been heavy on her shoulders and mind. It isn’t easy, operating on kids and teens. Yoohyeon and Minji have spent many nights comforting Bora through her tears, her lamenting on how unfair it is that the world would subject innocent youth to the hardships of cancer or disability.

 

And that is why Yoohyeon is bustling around their kitchen trying to make jeonbokjuk.

 

(Bora has been on an abalone kick and lately, it’s all she has been wanting to eat lately. It’s a good thing that Minji has a knack for enjoying a certain food for a few weeks until she needs a break from it and right now, abalone is her Food of the Month. 

 

Yoohyeon is just good at putting aside her wants for something as silly as food, so even if it may get tiresome eating abalone for the fourteenth time in a week and a half, the content happiness Bora and Minji dances with when they eat is worth it).

 

While scrubbing the abalone clean, some part of Yoohyeon thinks she should have gotten the abalone that is already cleaned and shucked, but she felt adamant about making this purely on her own. So, after cleaning and learning how to shuck the abalone, it takes her another hour and a half to whip up the porridge, just in time for Bora’s arrival after working.

 

(It might’ve taken her a shorter time if she didn’t have to bat Minji’s grabby hands away for “samples” despite giving her plenty of taste tests before. 

 

It also doesn’t help that Minji is scarily good at distracting Yoohyeon when she wants to, Yoohyeon having to push away the hand caressing her abdomen under her shirt on multiple occasions.

 

“I know what you’re doing!”

 

Minji feigns innocence with her big, pouty eyes, “What am I doing? Can’t I touch my beautiful girlfriend?”

 

Yoohyeon squints at her with suspicion, “You can but you can’t seduce me for food! Bora will be home soon! Then, we can all eat!”

 

Minji just cheerily laughs, finesses one more taste test before setting the table up).

 

Even if Minji has assured Yoohyeon that her cooking is delicious, Yoohyeon still watches with bated breath when Bora takes her first bite. Feeling relief flood through her when Bora’s eyes light up and her entire body perks up, free of the stress from her day, Yoohyeon happily digs into her own bowl.

 

(It’s not that Yoohyeon needs to cook and go out of her way to support Bora but she loves doing it, loves showing her that she is by her side to cheer her on and be depended on.

 

It’s one thing to be depended on as the city’s hero and another to be depended on by her girlfriends. Because the city expects her to be their savior, perfect in every way possible, their own sacrificial lamb. Minji and Bora just expect her to come home and be safe, to love and cherish them, to choose them just as they choose her.

 

And Yoohyeon, she has so much affection for them in her heart that there’s nothing else she can do but love and cherish).

 

Spending the rest of night pampering Bora just the way she likes (meaning Minji and Yoohyeon just roll with all of the affection and fondness Bora has for them through her passionate way of cuddling and teasing tickle fights), Bora is sandwiched between Yoohyeon and Minji, feeling safe and protected.

 

And in the operation room, when it’s just Bora and her team, she still carries Minji and Yoohyeon in her heart, feels their comfort radiate from within her, feels confident in her spot as the head surgeon. 

 

But life is cruel.

 

Because while Minji and Yoohyeon are cooking jjimdak the next night, Bora comes home looking sullen and desolate, her shoulders hunched, the effervescent light within her snuffed out.

 

And even if they haven’t added the glass noodles yet, they stop everything they’re doing to be whatever Bora needs. 

 

(Dinner can wait.

 

The entire ing world can wait if Bora is feeling grim.

 

Because what’s the point of the galaxy existing when its sun does not shine)?

 

Watching as Bora takes heavy steps into their bedroom, she heads into the darkness to burrow into their bed.

 

Turning off the stove and cautiously approaching Bora, Yoohyeon kneels by the bed. Speaking softly and lightly as if her voice might even hurt her, Yoohyeon does her best to give Bora her space in case that is what she needs.

 

“We’ll be outside, okay, baby? Whatever you need, we’ll be it.”

 

Bora doesn’t respond, just stiffly nods her head.

 

Yoohyeon looks at the crowtit nightlight on Bora’s bedside table and asks, “Do you want me to turn on your light?”

 

Bora’s voice is rough and low, telling of how heavy the sorrow is in her heart and mind, “Please.”

 

As much as Yoohyeon wants to hold Bora in her arms and take away the misery that she feels, she knows that life doesn’t work like that.

 

She can’t take away someone’s pain no matter how much she wants to.

 

And even someone as touchy and affectionate as Bora needs her space.

 

So, Yoohyeon just leaves after tapping her light on, waits and hopes that Bora will come back to them soon.

 

It’s late when Bora shuffles out of their room. But Minji and Yoohyeon are still awake, Yoohyeon’s head on Minji’s shoulders as she plays with her fingers and they talk quietly—their minds left with Bora in their bedroom.  

 

The light is dim but Yoohyeon recognizes her own favorite brown hoodie that Bora swims in, Minji’s black fuzzy jacket layered over it. It’s wordless how Bora climbs onto Minji’s lap and burrows her face into her neck and how she cries into her embrace. 

 

And as Bora’s broken heart mends, Yoohyeon wishes she could stitch it up the way Bora does her injuries, wishes that she can take care of Bora the way she does for her.

 

But, when they head to bed together, Bora curls into Yoohyeon, nuzzles her head under Yoohyeon’s and clutches onto her like she is her anchor. And it’s not like Yoohyeon can pull a needle and thread to close the gash on Bora’s heart, but she can hold her, can comfort her with the best of what she has.

 

And all Yoohyeon has is her heart—it’s the best part of her, Bora’s most favorite part of her. So, Bora doesn’t cry into her, her tears all wicked up by Minji’s sweater. But Bora does feel stronger in Yoohyeon’s arms, so she shares the burden that she carries.

 

“I couldn’t...we couldn’t find the tumor until it was too late.”

 

Bora pauses, holds Yoohyeon even tighter, “She uh- she does shot put, shoe in for college admissions because of how good she is.”

 

Bora struggles through her next words, her heart spilling its grief, “We had to amputate her forearm in order to cut off the cancer. And of course, it had to be her ing throwing arm. She was...devastated after waking up from the procedure. She tried to not show it and she was really grateful, but I could see it in her eyes. She just looked so hopeless.”

 

Bora subconsciously holds her own right arm, in absence of the girl’s, “She had such a bright future, and we couldn’t save it. I know we got rid of the tumor, but I hate that it had to come at the consequence of ruining her dreams.”

 

Life is a fragile affair. It’s delicate and so easily changed by singular effects that domino into more. 

 

Sometimes it’s blissfully beautiful, like how Yoohyeon stumbled into Minji and Bora’s life.

 

Sometimes it’s wrought with wretched sadness, like watching life and hope seep away from someone’s heart.

 

So, all Yoohyeon does is hold Bora through her vulnerability, gives what Bora needs most and that is her silent support and secure embrace.

 

The next morning when Yoohyeon heads to work, she familiarizes herself with myoelectric prostheses, sketches out a potential build for a bionic arm. Building off of previous research, Yoohyeon works on making an arm that is capable of carrying a maximum of twenty-five pounds, more than enough to carry and throw a shot put. 

 

It takes Yoohyeon tireless months to perfect it, another few months for the state to approve it. Even if she only needs one, hundreds get made in production in the name of her company.

 

The first person to receive it is Bora’s patient—a Fighter Arm, for the ones who wrestle with their hardships to be stronger.

 

Bora has told her before, and will always tell her, that Yoohyeon is a hero with or without her radioactive spider bite—insists that Yoohyeon’s heart is too good for this ty, rotten world. 

 

Yoohyeon just might begin to believe that she is worth more than what her suit and web-slinging does for her.


-

 

Yoohyeon would kill for some peace and quiet.

 

Okay, no, she wouldn’t kill, but regardless, it’d be nice to have a good month, hell, even week, of not needing to be Spiderwoman.

 

But, alas, with all the nemeses she makes for trying to save the people of New York and fighting for justice, bad luck attaches to her like a leech. If it’s not Rhino, it’s Sandman, and if it’s not Sandman, it’s Shocker. This time, lucky her, it’s a two for one.

 

Naturally, Vulture and Electro, somehow, broke out of Ryker’s and are out on a terrifying rampage ripping through New York City, hurting anyone and everyone.

 

And, of course, it’s not like Yoohyeon can turn a blind eye to them even if it’s their weekly date night.

 

(Yoohyeon even planned to cheer Minji up after meeting yet another dead end with her research).

 

So, in the middle of cooking samgyeopsal while watching the news, Minji and Bora are left in charge of the rest of dinner as Yoohyeon swings away from their apartment, heading straight for the villainous duo.

 

“I’ll try to be quick! I really wanna show you two something cool that I can do.”

 

(Yoohyeon has been trying mindful yoga to build up her mental fortitude, thinks that practicing mindfulness might help her recenter and be kinder to herself. She wasn’t expecting that she’d be able to master the peacock pose on the way there but it’s a cool party trick to brag about that her girlfriends will definitely love to see).

 

It’s a rainy day in New York.

 

It’s not the best weather, but it’s not like she can tell Mother Nature to stop taking care of her creation.

 

(Yoohyeon is just happy that her suit is waterproof and that she doesn’t have to worry about getting wet—getting sick is really not the best. Not just because she’ll have to take off of work and Minji and Bora will most likely spend even more time worrying about her, but also because her Spidey powers can weaken if she gets extremely sick. And, truly, New York is a chaotic dump of crime and violence, and its need for more justice and Spiderwoman is greater than Yoohyeon is even able to articulate).

 

Yoohyeon can hope that each time she wears her mask, she can be relegated to the easier crimes to take care of—gang fights, drug deals, a casual robbery. But, while the cops can help her on offenses like that, there is very little help she can get when she’s fighting heinous villains like Electro and Vulture.

 

And, God, is it difficult. 

 

Because as Yoohyeon fights on the rooftop of a looming skyscraper so that all their attention is on her instead of innocent civilians, this night is weighing heavily on her.

 

It starts with finding Electro and Vulture trying to terrorize New Yorkers.

 

As much as Yoohyeon tries to redirect their attention to her, her favorite deli shop owner goes outside of their shop at the wrong time.

 

There’s a deepening pit of grief in her stomach as she fights, tears watering in her eyes. Being confronted with the sight of the owner still and laid out on the floor, Vulture’s knife projectiles lodged in his throat, Yoohyeon keeps going back to that split second.

 

Even if she had tried to protect him, she failed to notice him earlier on, slinging the blue mailbox just a millisecond too late. 

 

Maybe, if she hadn't been trying to avoid Electro’s lightning strikes, she would have been able to save him. Thinks that, maybe if she had paid more attention to her surroundings, the owner would still be alive.

 

Yoohyeon hates that his family is waiting for him to come home, waiting for their dad to kiss them good night.

 

It’s cruel.

 

Then, it leads to Yoohyeon chasing Vulture as he flies to the sky, Electro hot on her tail. 

 

It’s already hard as it is, fighting them alone. But as Vulture and Electro work together, Yoohyeon doesn’t have a single moment to process and think. It’s only thanks to her instincts that she is able to keep up with them. Even if she’s able to land her own effective hits on them mid-swing, all she sees is the deli shop owner and a green-lit knife protruding from his throat. 

 

Taking advantage of her distraction, Electro sends a searing lightning strike towards her. As if getting hurt wasn’t enough, when she attempts to zip to him with her right hand, her web shooters fail to work, the contraption thoroughly fried.

 

“Your right web-shooter is offline.”

 

Swinging to a more secure place on the skyscraper, Yoohyeon ducks behind a concrete ledge.

 

“Two bad guys and one working shooter. This isn’t looking good, Pie.”

 

Rolling away when Vulture sends a knife strike, Pie responds, “No, it isn’t, Yoohyeon.”

 

Cursing to herself, Yoohyeon doesn’t even get a chance to make up a game plan when Electro employs the rain to his advantage, the devastating combined effect of the ground current and electrocution weakening her to the point of immobility. 

 

When Vulture picks her up, pounding hit after hit at her head with a maniac sneer on his lips, her body screams in agony, the extreme pain is nearly cataclysmic—feels like being displaced in her own body as she watches herself limply lay in his grasp. Feeling like her brain is knocked around to the point of mush and her body is ineffably incapacitated, the next thing she knows is that she is free-falling from the ing Empire State Building, unable to move—to save herself. When she crashes onto the top of a car, the pain is catastrophic, feels like her ribs have shattered into millions of tiny fragments, feels like some part of her spine digs into her lungs.

 

Struggling to breathe, it takes an enormous effort for her to speak, “Pie?”

 

Even Pie sounds distorted, her suit’s capabilities declining with her, “Yes, Yoohyeon?”

 

With a broken voice, a wheezing sound, Yoohyeon tastes blood in , “Call Bora. Send location.” 

 

After rolling off of the car so that Bora and Minji won’t have to struggle with carrying her off of it, everything is a blur.

 

All she remembers is Bora’s distraught eyes looking at her as she and Minji find her slumped on the floor, no doubt looking haggard and wrecked beyond comparison. 

 

It’s bad. Yoohyeon knows it’s bad because she’d never call Bora out from her safety to save her unless she absolutely could not bear to move.

 

All Yoohyeon thinks about is the rain soaking Bora and Minji as they struggle to pull her to an alley, Bora’s nursing bag with her. She hopes that they won’t fall ill. And even if the rain pours, Yoohyeon knows that Bora works on her injuries with tears rolling down her cheeks, Minji holding her hand as she silently cries, her hand trembling as she caresses Yoohyeon’s cheeks over her mask.

 

There’s not much Bora can do, her work incomplete when she surrenders, “Yooh...I can’t do anything for you here. We have to go to the hospital.”

 

Yoohyeon grunts, reaches up to cradle Bora’s cheek in her hand, “Whatever you need. I trust you.”

 

So, as Bora rushes to the hospital, Yoohyeon lays in the back seat of her car with her head supported by Minji’s lap, clutching onto her ribs, doing everything she can to remind herself that this pain is temporary, that Minji and Bora will take care of her.

 

The last thing she remembers before passing out is Minji temporarily rolling up her mask, her soft lips pressing against her cheeks—both to give herself the comfort of asserting that the girl she loves is still alive and to give Yoohyeon the comfort of her touch.

 

When Yoohyeon wakes up, she is wearing a white hospital gown, Minji and Bora sitting beside her, Bora’s head on Minji’s shoulder.

 

Noticeably, her body doesn’t ache as much as it did before, her ability to breathe no longer labored and difficult.

 

She is also still wearing her mask.

 

Really, all Yoohyeon wants to do is take it off, to see the people that she loves without the filter of her mask. But that would only diminish the lengths Bora and Minji had to go through to keep her identity secret. Wanting some water, however, she rolls up her mask, wishes that she had her web shooter to bring the cup and pitcher of water closer to her. However, unwilling to wake her girlfriends up from their sleep, Yoohyeon chooses to deal with it, her gaze focusing on Minji and Bora.

 

The more time Yoohyeon looks at them, the more and more guilty she feels for being this massive burden on their shoulders.

 

The night was supposed to end with Minji being sandwiched between her and Bora, Yoohyeon was supposed to show off her cool yoga pose, and everything was supposed to be fine.

 

But being Spiderwoman isn’t a peaceful experience. It’s smothered with responsibility and duty, violence and chaos—nemeses right and left looking to hurt her, kill her. 

 

Peace and quiet is never an option for her.

 

And some part of Yoohyeon thinks that she doesn’t deserve this—people who’d drop everything for her. Thinks that Minji and Bora don’t deserve to spend their date nights operating on her, fretting about her, waiting for her to wake up and feel better. 

 

The thought doesn’t last too long, Minji shifting awake and bringing Bora along with her as she moves.

 

How could such noxious thoughts exist when the first thing Minji and Bora do after waking up is shower her with care and affection?

 

How could such a grim reality stand a chance when Yoohyeon is willing to be greedy once more and allow herself the bliss and beauty and tranquility of being loved to ignore the simple fact that echoes in the back of her mind?

 

“What happened?”

 

Bora looks disturbed and grievous, that bright smile that was on her lips dropping in a flash.

 

“Yooh, you almost died. You...were choking on your blood at one point.”

 

No matter how Bora and Minji ultimately welcome her back with smiles and unconditional care, Yoohyeon knows that there is always more to it, knows that they suffer the mental and emotional trauma of having to watch their loved one sacrificing her life every damn time Yoohyeon wears her mask.

 

It’s not fair.

 

But Yoohyeon doesn’t linger too long on the thought. 

 

Not when Bora lightheartedly smiles and cups her cheeks, kisses her own fingers before pressing them against Yoohyeon’s lips over her mask.

 

-

 

Yoohyeon likes meeting with her girlfriends for lunch. It’s nice being able to take breaks away from her work to see the people that give her peace and the energy she needs to keep doing her best. 

 

(And plus, she likes seeing Minji in her studious work attire—she always looks so damn good. And Bora, well, she always looks so cute in her scrubs with her elephant-decorated stethoscope that’s always hanging around her neck). 

 

Today, luck is on their side since Minji was also able to get away from work. 

 

Coming so often to have lunch with Bora, the layout of the hospital is familiar, the nurses and doctors recognizing them as well when they see them. It’s no

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter