Mission: New Year

Mission: New Year

“What about this outfit?” A girl asks as she looks at herself in the mirror.

“Yuqi, for the 100th time. You look good, just pick one. She’ll like any of them.” A voice rang out from the phone.

“Maybe you’re right Minnie.” Looking over herself again, she adjusts her fluffy black coat.

 Adjusting the collar to show more of the under white, her red long sleeve showing through the ed coat. Turning to the side and sliding her white van forward she checks her dark pant.

“Yuqi! Just go with this outfit. Isn’t almost time till Soojin pick you up?” Minnie exasperated at Yuqi’s long indecisiveness.

Eye wide, Yuqi looks at her night table clock to show it 10 minutes until 9. Quickly fixing her bang, she checks her ponytail for any loose strands. Stepping closer, she analyzes her face for any flaw in her makeup.

“Soojin will like this outfit right?”

“Yuqi, for the last time. Yes. You guys are almost practically dating right now, and it has only been a week. There no denying Soojin likes you from what you told me.”

“What if it just my delusion and she just being friendly?”

“Oh. My. God.” Minnie frustratedly yells as she shoves her face into her pillow.

Yuqi finally convincing herself that her outfit is okay, she goes to pick up her phone. Minnie lifted her face to show how done she is with her. But at the moment Yuqi has more things to worry about.

“What if I confess and it goes wrong or I don’t get the chance.”

“Yuqi.”

“What if I chicken out?”

“Yuqi!” Focusing back on the screen she pushes her lip together. “Yuqi, stop worrying about something that hasn’t or won’t happen. Worry about it after, if it does happens. Okay?”

Taking a deep breath, Yuqi exhales as she nods at Minnie. She feels her heart settle down, it immediately spikes up even more than before when she heard the doorbell. A hand reaches for her stomach that clenches and twisted. Suddenly Yuqi felt like hiding, looking at Minnie for any motivation. 

“Go! Go get your girl. Yuqi power!” Smiling wide, Minnie gives a fighting fist before hanging up.

Placing her phone in her coat’s pocket she speeds walk with a little hop to the door. Knowing her heart won’t calm down anymore, she opens the door with an excited smile. She sees Soojin standing beautifully in her blue sweater, with converse to match, and similar jeans to Yuqi.

"Hi, are you ready?" A shy smile appears on Soojin's lip as she reaches to brush her hair over her ear.

Nodding, Yuqi step out to lock her door behind her. She walks with Soojin down into the parking lot. Chatting along the way.

---

Since that day, Soojin always parks in the same spot every time. It has been only a week since they met but they couldn't seem to stay away for even a day.

When Soojin brought Yuqi to her family dinner, she was nervous. She thought it would be awkward as she only knew Yuqi for a day. Fortunately, Yuqi exceeds her expectations with her social skills. By the end of the night, Yuqi had made Soojin's family love her. That when Soojin began to see the potential for a future relationship with Yuqi. Being with Yuqi has always felt so comfortable, to the point she began to act out more playful than she usually is.

Since then, Yuqi would always visit her when toward the end of her shift. Not minding that she has to walk if it mean she get to see Soojin. In return, Soojin will give Yuqi a ride back home. Using their time to get to know each other more. After a few times, Miyeon began to and told Shuhua who then ran down the hallway to Soojin’s shared apartment and told Soyeon. They even created a group chat called 'SooQi' with Soojin to encourage her.

---

Unknown to Soojin, the day before new year’s Eve, they made another call 'Mission: New Year'. They have planned the new year party at Miyeon and Shuhua place, with a special plan in mind.

Soyeon: Okay, Soojin went to go pick up Yuqi. Is everything in order?

Miyeon: Almost, I just need to find something to hang it up.

Soyeon: I'm on my way, I got something that could work.

Shuhua: ❇️🥀❄️👌🏻

Soyeon: Good, almost there.

Shuhua: 🔥

---


Pulling up to her apartment, Soojin park into her spot. Letting the car run for the song to continue, she joins Yuqi dancing along. Seeing Soojin began timidly dancing with her, she interacts with her as she lip-syncs. Smiling brightly when Soojin began to let loose. Once the Song end, they are left laughing and breathless as they lean onto each other. Calming down they let their eyes linger on each other for a few seconds longer. Knowing they need to make their way to the party, Soojin turns off the car and get out along with Yuqi.

Following Soojin, Yuqi checks her phone for the time. Seeing it’s close to 10 now, she bites her bottom lip wondering when she should confess. Then she smiles as she sees a notification from Minnie, she sent an encouraging message for Yuqi. ‘Yuqi Power! She read.

“Yuqi, what is it?” Yuqi snaps up to see Soojin holding the door open to the building.

“Oh, nothing. Just Minnie sent me a message.” Yuqi reply, then she notices the corner of Soojin’s lip tug down as she glances at Yuqi’s phone.

Following Soojin into the building, Soojin just nodded with no expression. Which left Yuqi a little confused until a few seconds Soojin ask.

“You seem to talk about Minnie a lot.” ‘Wait, is… is she jealous?’ Yuqi thought.

“Yea, she’s my first and best friend. Honestly, I think I would be lost without her.” Reaching the elevator Soojin press the button.

Soojin just hums and nodded, the elevator ding as it open. 

“I was Shuhua first friend when she came to Korea, we became close and she always throws flirty line and gets possessive over me.” Soojin suddenly says as they enter the elevator.

Yuqi is now confused. ‘Is she trying to make me jealous? Or is she trying to say I have no chance?’ Yuqi’s latter thought had slowly made her sulky. Watching the door close and see Soojin’s reflection watching her with an observant eye. Taking a risk, she takes in the sight as a hint for choosing her first thought.

“Oh, I see. That’s too bad.” Yuqi did her best to be nonchalant.

Hearing the unexpected reaction, Soojin pushes her brows in confusion. Yuqi waited for the moment the elevator to open as she gathers her courage. Just as the door started opening, Yuqi turns to look Soojin in the eyes.

“Because she won’t stand a chance tonight, now that I’m here. She might as well give up.” Stepping out after she confidently and indirectly confessed that she likes Soojin.

Soojin butterflies soar high as her heart skip a beat. Soojin then chuckles when Yuqi stops in the middle of the hallway looking left and right. Yuqi's confidence drop Sheepishly turns around to face Soojin as she absently scratches her head.

“Um, which way is it?” Soojin felt warmth in her chest as she steps out.

“Silly Yuqi,” Soojin says as she pokes Yuqi’s cheek and grabs her hand. Both smiling, Soojin kept a hold on Yuqi's hand as she leads her to where the party is.

---

An eye is seen peeking through a small crack of the front door. When the eye sees Soojin appear, she quickly pulled away to close the door. Missing to see Soojin holding Yuqi's hand.”

“Pst! They’re coming!” Shuhua warns the other.

“You guys know your role?” Soyeon asks as she closes the door for the balcony.

Shuhua and Miyeon nodded. Walking to the living room, they turn up the volume on the speaker playing pop music, to pretend they weren’t suspicious of anything. When they hear the door close, they all innocently smile at the new guest.

“Hi!” Shuhua greeted first.

Then Shuhua and the group glance down to see the two holding hands. Looking at each other with raised brows. Soyeon wanted to ask but then Yuqi let go of Soojin to hug them.

“Guys! It’s almost New Year!” Yuqi excitedly shouted as she hugs everyone, then goes back to Soojin's side.

Soyeon makes eye contact with Shuhua and gives her the nod to start.

“Soojin Unnie!” Shuhua shouts as she walks over to her and takes a hold of her arm. “Come, I want to show something.”

Dragging Soojin to the kitchen, Yuqi tried to follow but Soyeon step in the way, and Miyeon grab Yuqi’s arm and lead her to the couch. Yuqi looks over to make eye contact with Soojin. Both feeling dismay at suddenly being pulled apart.

---

It has been an hour and Soojin and Yuqi are still not next to who they want to be with. Soojin manages to get away from Shuhua by going to the bathroom. Coming back smiling, she tried to sit next to Yuqi on the couch who was talking to her roommate. Her smile drops when Miyeon suddenly drops in her desire seat. Seeing Soojin standing there, she became wide eye with a hand over her open mouth.

“Oop, sorry Soojin. There’s a seat by Shuhua.” Miyeon chuckle nervously, leaning toward Yuqi and placing a hand on Yuqi's thigh.

“Ya- Um, yea. Seat by me!” Shuhua's glare turns to innocent after she catches herself being distracted by Miyeon's hand placement.

Soojin looks at Shuhua on the other couch, tapping the space beside her. Sighing she goes to sit with Shuhua. As they talk among themselves, Soojin's small suspicion has been slowly increasing. She felt a tinge of jealousy of Yuqi and Miyeon's physical touch. This is weird because Miyeon and they know Soojin like Yuqi, even Shuhua is acting too clingy than she normally is. At first, Soojin thought it was just them making each other jealous but Shuhua and Miyeon seem to be on good terms. Soyeon seems to be the only one who is the most natural but Soojin gut says she is not.

---

It now less than 30 minutes until midnight, Soojin has grown frustrated at her friend's behavior, and Yuqi oblivious to the situation. Yuqi is happy to catch up with Soojin friends, glad to know they approve of her, and will become great friends with her as well. Shuhua and Miyeon have been bickering with each other as Yuqi is between them being entertained by their chemistry. Yuqi sees Soyeon lean to whisper to Soojin on the other couch. Yuqi loose interest in the Tom and Jerry and tilt her head as Soojin nod and get up. Yuqi’s eyes follow her around the couch to the balcony slide door. Unlocking it, she opens and steps out, closing it behind her. Yuqi turns back around to see Soyeon was already watching her. Then she realizes the couple beside her had quiet down.

“Go, follow Soojin. It's almost midnight.” Soyeon encourages Yuqi.

The confused Yuqi slowly gets up as Shuhua and Miyeon push her to move faster. “Fighting!” The couple tells as Yuqi is right at the door.

Hearing the sliding door open, Soojin keeps gazing at the city light. “Is it already close to midnight, Soyeon?”

Yuqi closes the door behind her and tried to hold in a laugh, pulling out her phone she sees it for 10 more minutes until midnight.

“Just 10 minutes.” Soojin slouch posture straightens as she whip her head when she heard Yuqi's voice.

“Yuqi.” Yuqi walks up to the railing to stand next to Soojin, both smiling at each other.

“Hey, are you a camera?” Soojin tilted her head at Yuqi's weird question. “Because every time I look at you, I smile.”

Soojin let out a small snort then cover her face when she realizes it. Yuqi laughs at hearing Soojin’s cute small snort for the first time.

“Yah.” Soojin recovering from her embarrassment, glare at Yuqi.

“It not my fault my line was funny.” 

“It was only funny because I already heard it from Shuhua. Try again.” Yuqi pouted and then look away to think of another.

Yuqi turns back to look at her. Soojin waited for Yuqi to come up with another pickup line but all she got was Yuqi admiring her face and it made her feel shy. Looking away, she asks.

“What.”

“Oh sorry, you’re so beautiful that I forgot my pickup line.” Soojin couldn’t help but release her overwhelmed emotion by hitting Yuqi’s arm. “Ah, Soojin. That hurt, how are you so strong?” 

Yuqi complains as she holds the spot Soojin hit. Soojin just sticks out her tongue and walks over to the door.

“Come on, I think everyone waiting. It's almost midnight.” Pulling on the handle, Soojin finds it not budging, realizing it’s locked.

“What wrong?” Yuqi asks behind Soojin.

“It’s locked, and they close the curtain. I knew it, I knew something was going on.” Soojin voice her thought.

Taking a deep breath she mutters under her breath how her friends are going to pay. She then felt her phone vibrating in her pocket. Pulling it, out she sees the group chat, angling it away from Yuqi who went back to the railing, stood watching Soojin instead of the view behind her.

Shuhua: Forgive me! Soyeon ask me!

Miyeon: Sorry, it was Soyeon's plan!

Soyeon: Wow, thank guys.

Soojin: Open. the. Door.

Soyeon: Did you do it?

Soojin: Do what.

Soyeon: Confess

Soojin: Are you crazy! I can’t!

Soyeon: Door stays lock then.

Miyeon: Come on Soojin, Yuqi like you. The hold time she mostly asks and talks about you.

Shuhua: Kiss yet? Midnight in 5 Minute

Soojin closes her phone, as Miyeon word brought the little flutter. Scanning around the balcony she sees blankets and handwarmer packages on the outdoor chair. Sighing, she knew if she doesn’t do this, Soyeon will probably keep her out until morning. Looking at Yuqi who is now looking at something above Soojin's head instead of her, she calls to her.

“Yuqi.” Soojin raises her brow at Yuqi who is now acting a little weird.

“Y- Yes!” Deciding to ignore it, she prepares herself.

Yuqi who seem to be doing the same, walk up to Soojin. Almost as if Yuqi knows what is about to happen.

“Yuqi... “ Soojin stare at Yuqi as she subconsciously tugs at her sweater to comfort herself, until a cool hand reach and took a hold of it. “...I like you.”

Yuqi smile wide as her eyes sparkles more bright than the light city Soojin had been watching. “I like you too.”

Smiling back, Soojin releases a breath of relief to know the feeling is mutual.

“Do you like raisins?” Yuqi suddenly asks, Soojin chuckle at the unexpected question. “No? Then how about a date?”

“Date? Hm, I don’t know. Depend.” Soojin playfully pretended to think.

“How does tomorrow sound? And it’ll be a surprise so you need to come with me.” Soojin nodded.

Happy, Yuqi tug on Soojin's hand that she still holds. “Look up.”

Soojin looks up to see some sort of plant hanging, then she realizes it’s a mistletoe. Looking back at Yuqi, who is now a lot closer. Still holding her hand, Yuqi reaches to hold Soojin’s hip and Soojin naturally places her hand on Yuqi’s upper arm. Both leaning to meet each other halfway, they can hear the beat of their heart, feel the intense squeeze of their stomach. Feeling the hot breath of each other against the cold night, they close their eyes as their lips meet.

They wonder if it was their imagination, but they can hear and see the colors of fireworks through their close eyes. They began to slowly move against each other, exploring and savoring the touch of other lips. That until they heard cheering, they reluctantly pull away from each other. Now seeing the firework is real, bright colors blast into the sky to celebrate a new year. They turn to look at the glass door, the now open curtain, to see Soojin’s friend jumping in a circle, giving each other high five as they cheer. They were only able to make up Shuhua's word as she shouts ‘Mission: New Year complete!’

Soojin can only roll her eyes at them, looking back at Yuqi, she remembers the kiss. Suddenly becoming shy, she hugs Yuqi and hides her face in her neck. Yuqi laughs happily as she wraps an arm around Soojin, and give Soojin's hand a squeeze.

“Happy New Year.”