Mad City

Noona You're So Pretty

There were many things that Wong Lucas liked a lot: spicy food, PC games, dogs, exercising in the outdoors, firefighters’ trucks – he still had this truck toy his parents gave him for his 7th birthday, his favourite – were notable examples.

But what he cherished the most in this world was his relationship with his older sister. As far as he could remember, Leeseul had always been there for him. She was the one who had stayed by his side when they moved to Korea, standing up to the bullies who were making fun of his broken Korean or his ears; the one who helped him with homework every day when their parents were too busy running the Thai restaurant; she was also the one who taught him how to tie his shoelaces and who took him to the park close to their house every Sunday, helping him finding nice rocks for Mom and Dad. When she was away studying in Beijing for a semester, she made sure to call him every day to check up on him.

Yes, Lucas loved his sister. And he would do anything for her to be happy, just like she would for him. After all, besides their parents, she only had him, and he only had her.

 

***

 

“Happy Establishment Day!”

The Wongs’ household was crowded with guests – mostly Leeseul and Lucas’ friends – to celebrate Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day. Leeseul had invited Hani, Taeil and Ten over, while Lucas had somehow thought inviting seven friends without a warning was a good idea. Luckily, Mr and Mrs Wong knew their son, and had prepared food accordingly. Jaemin, Jeno and Haechan, the only Korean natives among Lucas’ party, were trying to learn all the different meals’ names – which proved to be a failure, causing their Chinese-speaking friends to laugh their hearts out. Ten was busy speaking in Thai with Mrs Wong, while Taeil and Hani were in a deep conversation with Mr Wong about the making of Hong Kong style steamed buns, the former even taking notes on his phone for later. 

Leeseul and Luhan came in quite late, the Wong daughter getting an earful from her mother in Cantonese, to which Leeseul immediately apologized for. Luhan formally greeted his girlfriend’s parents before walking away to get himself a drink, leaving Leeseul in the middle of the living-room alone, her eyes sadly following him. 

“They fought again” Jaemin heard Hani say to Taeil.

 

Lucas quickly ran over to his sister and pulled her to a bone-crushing hug, lifting her up from the ground like she wasn’t five years older than him and didn’t deserve the respect due to elders at all. Jaemin noticed how Luhan was glaring at them and couldn’t help but frown. 

So uncivilized.

On the other hand, Leeseul seemed to enjoy herself at the celebration. She laughed at Lucas’ antics, helped Jungwoo in his quest to tease Winwin, and even chatted up Xiaojun, the most introverted among her brother’s friends. 

But Jaemin wasn’t keeping tabs about her doings or anything. He was just observant.

As everyone was sitting down at the huge table set up for the occasion, Jaemin found himself sat between Renjun and Jeno, across Leeseul and Luhan. As everyone was enjoying the food and thanking Mr and Mrs Wong for their hard work, Jaemin overheard Luhan saying something in Mandarin to his girlfriend, an annoyed look on his handsome face.

“Are you fat enough or are you planning on eating more? I wanna go home already.”

Jaemin froze in his seat, unsure he had understood correctly. Unfortunately, a quick look at Renjun on his left - who had also stopped on his tracks, his eyes wide open - confirmed what he’d heard.

What the-

“Jaemin-ah!” he heard Mr Wong calling out. “Xuxi said you’ve spent six months in Hong Kong to study. How did you like my city, son?”

“I liked it very much, sir. I’ve learned a lot from your city and its lovely people” Jaemin replied in Cantonese with a shy smile, not entirely confident in his ability to speak the language.

An excited whoaaa made its way around the table. Leeseul and Lucas, in awe with Jaemin’s excellent pronunciation, started speaking enthusiastically fast in Cantonese - too fast for him to understand - Mr Wong nodding at him with an encouraging smile. Soon enough, everyone around the table was trying to repeat words in Cantonese loudly, the Wong siblings laughing out loud at Haechan’s mispronunciation. 

Only Luhan was not amused. 

 

“Are you leaving already?”

Leeseul heard the disappointment in her mother’s voice, and she felt her heart tighten up a bit more.

“We are, Mom. Luhan is working early tomorrow. I’m sorry…” She pulled her mother into her embrace. 

“Go home safely my dear. You can come over anytime” Mr Wong said warmly, holding out his hand for his daughter. Jaein smiled at him, clenched her hand around his and nodded understandingly.

“Here, take some food home with you” Mrs Wong said, giving her a plastic bag full of boxes.

“Thank you for having us. Mr Wong, Mrs Wong” Luhan said, bowing respectfully.

Lucas hugged his sister, lifting her up from the floor once again. She chuckled and ruffled his head with affection.

“See you later Xuxi. I’ll call you okay?” 

Lucas flashed a toothy smile at her and nodded.

 

As soon as they were out of the house, Luhan made his way quickly to his motorcycle, starting the engine and handing Leeseul her helmet without looking at her.

“Are you alright Luhan?”

“Fine. Hop on.”

“Are you sure? You don’t look okay…”

Luhan sighed, obviously exasperated.

“Yeah, and whose fault is that?”

He straddled the bike, signalling her to get on, and took off before she had the time to secure herself properly behind him.

They finally made it to their flat in Gangnam after half an hour, Luhan driving faster than the authorized speed limit. Already feeling anxious, the frightening ride did no good to put Leeseul at ease. They silently took the elevator up to their flat where Luhan slammed the door open, going straight to the living room to turn on the TV. After locking the front door, Leeseul put her bags in the kitchen and came over to her boyfriend sitting on the couch.

“What’s wrong Luhan?”

“Have a guess.”

“If I’m asking you, it’s because I have no idea” she told him softly, hoping it would calm him down. Luhan sighed, rolling his eyes in frustration.

“Of course, you don’t. Did you have fun today? Because I didn’t. I’ve never felt so unwanted, so unappreciated before today. By your own family!”

“What are you talking about? My parents are fond of you, Lucas likes you very much, I don’t-“

“Why did you have to speak Cantonese when you know I don’t understand it? Were you trying to show off or something?”

Leeseul was speechless.

“I wasn’t, we were just-“

“Or maybe you’d rather have come alone? Just tell me next time, I won’t waste my time coming over.”

That was unfair. She bit her tongue to remain calm and breathed in.

“Luhan, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to make you feel uncomfortable; I just didn’t realize you were feeling that way.”

“Well, that’s the problem. If you were thinking about me and my feelings, we wouldn’t be having this conversation right now, would we?”

The nerves. The audacity. Anger started taking over the guilt. She stood up abruptly and decided to go to the kitchen before she exploded once again. Holding onto the counter, she tried to calm herself down by taking deep breaths.

She went to bed early that night, only to toss and turn for what felt like ages. Luhan joined her past midnight, completely ignoring her very existence. It was only when she could hear him snoring softly that she felt tears running down her face.

 

***

 

It was mid-July, and it was a perfect day for Jaemin to leave the school dorm and go for a walk, music ringing through his headphones. It was a hot summer day, but a nice breeze was cooling the heavy air. Observing children playing around water jets in the streets, he smiled to himself, truly glad to take a break from studying for a little while.

Coming back from six months in Hong Kong was apparently no excuse to fail his classes, and the School of Performing Arts was not known for being tolerant regarding this matter. Thanks to Jeno’s help – and a lot of hard work - Jaemin had managed to catch up in no time, but the pressure was real. His back had been bothering him for a while, and he made a mental note to stretch more after dance practice. 

Unconsciously, his feet led him to Full Moon Café in Itaewon, and now that he was thinking about it, an iced Americano was definitely in order.

Seeing Leeseul-noona would clearly be a bonus, but he had heard she was only working part-time. The odds to have her working that day were obviously very-

“Jaemin-ah!”

Oh well. The odds were good.

“Hi noona” he greeted her with a dazzling smile.

“Are you skipping summer school?” she asked him with a playful grin.

“Not today noona, I already did twice this week.”

She frowned at him. 

“I’m joking noona! You know I’m a good student, don’t you?”

Good job playing it cool, Jaemin. A mental fist bump was in order.

“I do” Leeseul said, her smile turning her big eyes to crescents. “What can I get you today?”

“Iced Americano in a takeaway cup please, three sugars!”

“Three? Are you planning on dying young?”

“Huh?”

“...you do know sugar is really not good for your health, right?”

“I do… I just love the taste of sweet coffee… I like sweet things” Jaemin said, raising his eyebrows airily. She chuckled at his antics, and he felt his ears reddening.

“Okay, let me do something for you about it.”

She got the espresso shot ready, put it in the shaker with ice cubes and a bit of water before turning her back to him, adding some ingredient to the drink he couldn’t see, then proceeded to shake it frenetically. She poured the mix in a takeaway cup and handed it to him with a straw.

“Try this.”

Jaemin sceptically took a sip and widened his eyes in surprise. His Americano was perfect, not too bitter, not too sweet, and he gladly took another sip.

“How is it?”

“It’s mind-blowing, noona. What did you add in it?”

She grinned at him and showed him the bottle she was hiding behind her back.

“In doubt, always go for vanilla syrup. It blends really well with coffee beans, and you don’t need to add much to sweeten your drink.”

Jaemin nodded his head in wonder, sipping his drink quietly. 

“Taeil-hyung is not working today?”

“He is, he’s out for groceries. Today is not very busy, I was a bit bored to be honest so I’m glad you came in” she said with a warm smile.

“I’m happy to be of service” Jaemin saluted, making her giggle.

“If you wanna be of service, how about you stop distracting my employee?” Taeil’s voice resonated behind his back.

Jaemin turned around, playfully saluting the elder as well.

“Sir, yes sir!”

Taeil chuckled, ruffling the youngest’s hair.

“In his defense, I didn’t have much to do until Jaeminie’s arrival” Leeseul chuckled.

“Is that so? Jaemin-ah, wanna start working for me? I’m sure we can find you something to do.”

“I’d love to, hyung. Where is my apron?”

“…you both know I can hear you right?”

The three of them laughed as Jaemin was pretending to hold a tray.

“Hey Jaemin, don’t you have dance practice in like an hour or so?” Taeil asked, looking at the clock on the wall.

“How-how did you know?” Jaemin asked, checking his watch as well.

“Haechan told me. You better leave now or you’re gonna be late…”

“Oh boy, not again! Bye hyung! Bye noona! Thanks for the coffee!”

Jaemin picked up his bag, dropped some change on the counter and left in a rush waving his hand at them, making the elders chuckle. Leeseul shook her head in disbelief, smiling.

“You know the kid has a crush on you right?” Taeil said, standing right behind her.

“Too close” she pushed his shoulder away from her. “What are you talking about?”

“That kid. He likes you.”

“Jaeminie? Nonsense. He’s just a cute dongsaeng, and he’s Lucas’ friend by the way.”

“…and?”

"I have a boyfriend, Moon Taeil."

"...and?"

“How would you know anyway?”

“Haechan told me.”

 

***

 

“I’m home!”

“How was work?” Luhan asked absent-mindedly, focused on the video game he was playing. Leeseul bent over to peck his lips, taking her seat next to her boyfriend.

“Pretty quiet, so cruisy. Taeil says hi.”

“Nice.”

“How was your day off?”

“Yeah, fine.” Luhan glanced at her. “Sorry, I just spent the whole day playing to be honest” he admitted out loud.

“I know you did” she replied with a fond smile. “I almost forgot, Jaemin stopped by the café today. I made him try the iced Americano with vanilla syrup and he loved it! You should have seen his face when he gave it a go, it was hilarious, and-“

She interrupted herself when she noticed Luhan freezing next to her. He turned around on the couch to face her.

“And what? Are you trying to make me jealous by telling me about this? Because it’s not working. Do whatever you want with that kid.”

“What? It’s not what I meant, Jaemin is a friend. I just wanted to tell you about my day…”

“Are you sure he just wants to be your friend? You’re so naive, Liz.”

Taken aback, she sat back on the couch without a word as Luhan was focusing on the TV screen again. 

Another sleepless night incoming, then.

 

***

 

“Hello?”

Hey Xuxi -

“Noona! I was about to call you!”

- I called you first. How are you doing little one? -

“Noona, I’m like twice your size, you can’t call me ‘little’ anymore…” Lucas pouted.

- You might be a giant now, but you’re still my baby brother~ -

“And I’m still growing up. Or maybe you’re getting smaller?”

- Yah, stop disrespecting your elder! My joints are already aching… -

“Alright, alright, I’ll stop” Lucas chuckled. “I’m doing good noona, I was studying for a test.”

- I see… working hard or hardly working? -

“Hardly working to be honest… Why is Korean so hard?”

- Just to annoy you obviously. Want me to come over and help you? -

“Yes please! I’m at Full Moon.”

- I get it now why you’re struggling. I’ll be there in half an hour. -

 

“I’m having dinner with Lucas, we’re planning Xiaojun’s birthday party on the 8th, will you be there? Hope you’re having a nice day. Love you~”

Wong Liz – 5.48PM

Luhan threw his phone on the couch and went back to his video game. After losing one more time, he dropped the controller to the coffee table, leaning back with a frustrated sigh. Looking at his phone again, he typed a quick message, grabbed his key and helmet and left the flat slamming door.

 

***

 

“You didn’t have to walk me back Xuxi, it’s not even that late.”

“I know. I just wanted to” Lucas said, arms linked with his sister. Leeseul smiled, squeezing his arm gently. 

“Why did you and Luhan-hyung choose to live in Gangnam? It’s only business buildings here, it’s not very pretty…”

“It was easier for Luhan to go to work.”

“What about you noona?” Lucas halted on the pavement, his puzzled sister staring at him. “How are you feeling about… this?” Leeseul looked around.

“It’s a busy part of the city. Loud sometimes, especially during peak time. But look at the lights mirroring on the buildings. Isn’t it beautiful?”

Lucas looked around, noticing how the sunset was turning a mirror-glass skyscraper into a painting of oranges, yellows, purples and blues. He turned his head to watch his sister in awe, her dark eyes twinkling. A fond smile stretched his lips, and he chuckled.

“You’re right. But there’s so much concrete, where’s nature?” Lucas asked with a pout. Leeseul chuckled.

“Your best shot would be Han River, this way” she replied pointing her finger as they started walking again.

"Noona?"

"Hm?"

"Do you think Luhan-hyung will come to Xiaojun's birthday party?"

"I don't know, he hasn't replied to my text yet. Why is that?"

"Well... it's just... You're more fun to be around with when he's not with you" Leeseul stopped in her tracks.

"What do you mean Xuxi?"

"Don't take it the wrong way noona, it's just... Luhan-hyung is nice, but lately he's been so... serious? And you've been looking... sad."

Leeseul diverted her eyes to the buildings, biting her lips. 

"Luhan... is just very busy with work. He's not always serious, you know"

"I know, I know... But Mom and Dad have noticed this too."

At the mention of their parents, Leeseul felt the tears coming up.

"I don't... know what's going on between the two of you noona, but I just want you to be okay. Will you call me if you're not okay?"

Seeing Lucas' big eyes darkened in worry made her heart tighten. She nodded affirmatively and they walked silently back to her flat.