Chapter 4 : Shifting

Enamor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[2003]

 

The orphanage where Mina and Jeongyeon are staying have a primary school beside it. It caters the education of the kids staying at the orphanage, and the kids from the nearest towns.

 

Jamie and some volunteers are the ones who attend about the kids’ education and other needs related to that. They monitor the kids' learnings and help them to adjust and improve on the subjects where they are having difficulties.

 

Jamie is currently talking to the kid who had problems with math. The result of the latest exam arrived and the kid got a better score from the last time. She would like to discuss it to the kid and give her encouragement and praise for doing well.

 

“Wow, Naeun you did well! You study hard this time, don’t you?” Jamie gave the girl a high five which earns giggles from the girl.

 

“Jeongyeon unnie taught me. She helped me with the lessons.” Naeun told her.

 

That made Jamie confused.

 

Because according to the records, Jeongyeon’s current scores on math subjects is worse than Naeun’s.

 

“Are you sure, Naeun?” Jamie asked Naeun carefully.

 

“Yes, Jamie Unnie.”

 

-----

 

It was an exhausting day for Mina.

 

Aside from the bulk of papers she read and signed for this day, she also had a total of 5 meetings that lasted for about an hour or two each.

 

It’s been months since she became CEO and she was trained for this kind of responsibility, but sometimes, she can’t help but to get overwhelmed.

 

She’s not complaining though. She loves what she is doing because it is for the business which her family, especially her grandfather, truly treasured. She promised to take care of it to show how much she is grateful that her grandfather looked for her.

 

According to her grandfather, her parents had her at a very young age. They elope at the age of 18 and 19 years old. They are so afraid, confused and having a hard time when Mina arrived in their lives so they chose to drop her in an orphanage secretly. 

 

In their young minds, Mina will be taken care of better if she is there.

 

Her existence was discovered later after her parents declared missing due to a strong typhoon and flood happened in the town where they are residing. Few belongings were recovered from her parents’ house.

 

Her parents wrote a diary where they confessed about having a baby and leaving it in an orphanage. It was also written in the diary that they had thoughts of getting her out of the orphanage once they are financially stable.

 

When Mina learned about the story of how she ended up in an orphanage, she thought that her parents’ actions are reckless and irresponsible. But she stopped being so sad and angry about it a long time ago. 

 

Her parents are young and inlove and no matter how much she thinks that their life decisions are wrong, what is done is done. She read her parents diary and she knew that her parents loved her. They just can’t keep her because of their financial situation. She wished she met them to understand them more.

 

Her grandfather told her too that he is also at fault. He said that he is too strict and too controlling around her dad so maybe that’s the reason why they elope and did the things they’ve done instead of asking for help.

 

Mina’s aunt told her that her grandfather changed after what happened to her parents and when Mina came. He has become more responsible, open and caring about his family’s needs. Mina can testify on that. Her grandfather was nothing but a good grandfather to her. He never forced anything of his decisions on her and he accepted her for who she is.

 

Yes. Her grandfather is aware of her preference and he’s okay with it.

 

“Who are you hanging out with every morning?”

 

Mina’s thoughts were interrupted when she entered their house. She saw her aunt Jihye sitting on the couch while holding a glass of red wine.

 

Mina is aware that her aunt just discovered her mornings with Jeongyeon. She said that Mina is her favorite so she can be protective sometimes. She must be so curious on why Mina is leaving the house earlier than usual.

 

“Just my friend, Auntie.” Mina said after she pecked on her aunt’s cheek. She sat beside her aunt and stretched her own arms.

 

“Can’t sleep?” Mina asked while looking at the glass on her aunt’s hand.

 

Her aunt shakes her head slowly and then looks at her worriedly. 

 

“Is not Director Im’s daughter, right?”

 

Mina hitched her breath when she heard the question. There’s a familiar smile passed by in her mind which she immediately dismissed. She’s too tired to handle emotions so she tried her best to ignore the image in her mind.

 

“No, it’s not Nayeon.” 

 

Nayeon.

 

Mina’s ex-girlfriend.

 

They met during the time that she’s trying to prove her ability and skills to handle their family business. Nayeon happens to be a daughter of one of the company directors. It was around 2-3 meetings with Nayeon when Nayeon asked her out.

 

They clicked and dated for a year until the director discovered their relationship.

 

Board of directors don’t really care if she dates a girl. They don’t care about her preference as long as she handles the business very well, but dating one of their daughters is a different story.

 

Mina is just starting and can’t afford the chaos while Nayeon is not brave enough either. So she and Nayeon had a mutual decision to stop their relationship for the benefit of the majority.

 

“Anyone but Nayeon, dear.” her aunt reminds her.

 

Mina nods her head and stands up,

 

“I know. I’ll go to sleep now, auntie.” she whispers. 

 

They exchange good nights before Mina goes to her room.

 

And while Mina stares at her room’s ceiling, she realized that thinking about Nayeon is still painful, but not as painful as before. 

 

She wondered why. 

 

---

 

“Mina unnie texted me.”

 

Dahyun said while she and Jeongyeon were eating their breakfast. Jeongyeon stops and stares at her, waiting for her to continue.

 

“She said she can’t go here for the meantime.” Dahyun added.

 

Jeongyeon is aware that the mornings with Mina are just temporary. The chaotic ride, the deep conversations, the exchange of lame jokes, the conversation about games on Mina’s phone, the sharing of how their day went, and even the comfortable silence whenever they are together-are all temporary.

 

The setup was initially there because they wanted to catch up with each other’s lives. So now that they talked about all the things that Jeongyeon can think of, it’s not surprising that Mina stops on fetching her every morning.

 

She understands but at the same time, she can’t help but to be sad.

 

Mina is a busy person. When will I be able to see her again?

 

Jeongyeon doesn't understand why, but she feels like missing Mina already.

 

And also, Jeongyeon doesn’t understand why Dahyun is giggling on her phone right now.

 

“What’s so funny?” Jeongyeon asked.

 

“Nothing. It’s just that, Mina unnie explained everything so detailed. Look,”

 

Dahyun gives her the phone to read Mina’s message.

 

Mina unnie <3 5:35am

Good morning, Dahyun-ah! I’m sorry, but please tell Jeongyeon that I can’t go there for the meantime. Our company is preparing for a big event for next month and my presence is really needed during preparation. Let her know that I’ll see her once I finish my tasks. Take care. :D

 

Mina unnie <3 5:36am

Tell her I’ll miss her.

 

Mina unnie <3 5:37am

Oh, and of course, you as well, Dahyun-ah.

 

Jeongyeon cleared after reading the messages. She silently gives the phone back to her sister and holds herself from smiling.

 

“And the funny part..?” the older asked.

 

Dahyun shrugs her shoulders and eyed her sister. It’s not so long when she notices something about her sister and Mina but she doesn’t want to assume anything.

 

“It sounds like a girlfriend-kind-of-thing to do for me.” Dahyun commented.

 

Jeongyeon, who’s currently drinking water, chokes. Her sister gives her a towel to wipe while chuckling.

 

“Dahyun!” she exclaimed and fans herself. It was a harmless message but Dahyun is inserting thoughts in her!

 

No, it can’t be happening. She’s not blushing! Mina is her best friend!

 

“Oh, blushing e?” Dahyun teases. Jeongyeon throws the towel back to Dahyun while the latter dodged.

 

“I’m not! And don’t you dare

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter